**********************************************************WHY GRANTHAM? JUST CLICK:
TEXT **********************************************************

Friday 13 June 2008

What a Relief!



The pressure of work and a teensy domestic upheaval have kept me away from the keyboard for a while but, having worked a succession of night jobs, along with the days, and done a couple of weekends, I have actually got a day off today. Coupled with the fact that I am now on my own and have no running about to do for others, I have time to write.

There has been so much happening news-wise over the last few weeks that it would take too much time to recap and so I shall pick out THE one item which I believe to have been the most interesting.

Ever tried to get a plumber out to your place? Course you have! It's the same rigmarole every time and the same exorbitant bill - "...and there's a £70 call-out fee, don't forget", "Strewth, who fitted this? It's a right mess", "Naah, you just can't get the parts", "I'd get a re-con but they're like gold dust, mate", "Well, I've got a job to do at Number 56 so I'll nip there and call back tomorrow", "Sorry mate, I'm just snowed under and the parts still haven't arrived", "Is two weeks on Thursday any good to you?"
Well, spare a thought for Sergev Volkov, Oleg Kononenko and Greg Chamitoff. The lads, who live together (no, none of them make their own dresses), found themselves in a spot of bother when their bog bust.
Number 2s were still all systems go but, due to the complexity of their lavvy, Number 1s just wouldn't flush and things were getting pretty damp round at Chateau Chaps. The problem was exacerbated by the fact that they couldn't all just nip out to stay at a mate's house for the duration. You see, they are the occupants of the International Space Station!


Cue a phone call to the American-based plumber. "It'll be two weeks at the earliest, ladski. You just can't get the parts. Oh, and did I mention, there's a call-out fee - it's £987,569,300.27, not including VAT."
Well, when you gotta go, you gotta go, so the boys had a bit of a whip round and sat, no doubt with legs crossed, waiting for the plumber.
Said tradesperson did indeed take 14 days to call round and the lads, being starved of female company, were delighted to find it was a girly - one Mary Kelly.
"Strewth, who fitted this?" she asked. "They've made a right botch of it. You see, what you've got here is the Gravvyfree Shitnwee 670X. Cost £38 million to design, you know. You see, the solid waste system is operating properly but the liquid system, which uses air flow to direct urine and store it in a receptacle, is malfunctioning. You need a new pump. Lucky, but I've got one on the van. It'll cost, mind. They're £2.2 million each!"
"Fuckin' 'ell!" opined the lads. "Ain't there anything cheaper that'd do the job - or jobbies?"
At this point, Mary put her boss on the blower - Kirk Shireman, head of the station programme. He said, and I quote: "The alternate methods of waste disposal, including plastic bags with adhesive and bactericide - known as “Apollo bags” because they were used by early astronauts - are not particularly pleasant.
"They are, however, tried and true devices for their intended purposes.”
Well, would you? Hmm? Be honest. Does the idea of crapping and pissing into sticky food bags and then putting them in a cupboard for the next 18 years appeal? No, thought not.

The upshot was the boys opted for the replacement pump, emptied the little money jar they had been keeping for a rainy day (no-one had bothered to explain the likelihood of precipitation in space to our trio) and paid off Ms Kelly and Florida Pangalactic Plumbing Repairs.
They are now totally skint, 230,000 miles away from the nearest pub, with nothing to do all day but evacuate their bowels and bladders. I think I know how they feel.

Plumbers can go to Grantham but the chaps aboard the space station must stay with us.

4 comments:

Brad said...

I've been wondering how that astroshitter worked. I can always count on you for timely and accurate information.

Bless ya-

Anonymous said...

Wow. 14 days without a Jimmy. I bet they really did need to boldly go where no man has been before. [snigger]

BGT

Anonymous said...

Always a pleasure coming back to your blog reginald!

You think plumbers are obnoxious weasels? You evidently haven't been foolish enough to let the Virgin Media boys into your house.

Gin said...

Oh, I so agree with you! Last time a plumber was at my house, it cost me $350 and he was here all of 35 minutes! Pretty good money for a guy who's butt crack showed the entire time!

WEDNESDAY, 21 NOVEMBER 2007

SHORTS DON'T MATTER! 1. From the greatest programme ever made about association football, Barnstoneworth United FC manager Mr Dainty delivers one of the finest English soliloqiues of all time.......and afterwards, spare a thought for the club steward's wife Vera (YOU ONLY HAVE TO WATCH HALF OF THE CLIP!!).

Monday, 12 November 2007

Not everyone who agonises over their life is a painter. Some of us agonise because we're NOT painters.

....And On the Subject of Great Public Services

I know most of you have heard this marvellous song by those doctors who are the Amateur Transplants......but I think the video is a nice addition. P.S. If there are kids in the room I'd shuffle them out before hitting play.

...There's More

On the subject of those great doctors, here is their version of More Than Words which presents their challenging views on women outside Watford. The very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither, coming from Cumbria, is a huge fan. Again, get those kids out of the room!

Leave Britney Alone, Ok!!!

Oh...........my............God!!!!! My heartfelt thanks go to BGT for this. I won't say much more, I don't need to. Mr Loony of Loonytown, USA (I think it's a bloke, anyway), says it all. I fear he may be wound too tight for.....well.....well for everywhere, really!

Tuesday, 18 September 2007.

I wish I'd sung this! For non-Americans, and with apologies to all the smart arses out there who already knew, the FCC is the Federal Communications Commission and it monitors TV and radio output in the States - a sort of broadcast police - while the EPA is the Yanks' so-called Environmental Protection Agency, a body which does exactly the opposite of what it says on the can. (P.S. We went to the same school, you know? Eric and me, that is, not George, Martha, Dick and Condoleeza and me. I don't think they went to school.) P.P.S. Please see below if you are I Like The View, Malc or Doris.

To Make You Laugh and Cry

I was listening to this on a Sunday, the very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither is a Catholic, Tom Lehrer is one of my all-time heroes and this is one of his best.............no other reasons. On a more sombre note (and with thanks to Fish for coming up with this Woman's-Own-passes-the-time-in-the-dentist's-waiting-room nonsense), why not get a computer to tell you that you are a waste of space and your life is a sham of a mockery of a farce? Ok, it's from one of those poxy dating sites but...go on, take the test. You ain't got much to beat!!
This Is My Life, Rated
Life: 4.2
Mind: 4.1
Body: 2.7
Spirit: 8
Friends/Family: 1.6
Love: 0
Finance: 5.9
Take the Rate My Life Quiz
Apparently, in my case, "computer say 'no!'"

I First Saw This When I Was Little - And Loved It! I Hope That Explains a Few Things

Fuck, Fuckety, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck

It has been pointed out to me that, particularly for one whose profession is supposedly literary, my language is getting worse. My use of the "F" word is, I am told, far too prevalent and hence loses impact. To those who share this view I suggest you watch the following:

Tony Blair Isn't a Burglar - But If He Was.........

In the spirit of Gustav Holst's Jupiter and Manfred Mann's Earth Band, I feel like raising a smile today. The Big Green Thing alerted me to this and, for no other reason than to raise a smile on an otherwise crap Wednesday, I think it has to be shared. Grantham shall not have him - when he gets out of prison.

Life On The Edge - No Net.

I was wrong when I feared it might be a dull weekend, what with my pals being away, my soon-to-be ex-wife in rehab and only the dogs to play with. How wrong can a man be? This much fun must surely be illegal? Just click to see the japes and hoots I am having! Click again to see how things got REALLy exciting! Tomorrow we're going to chase pigeons.

The Good Old U.S. of A. - Guardians of Freedom and Democracy. Nothing to Be Scared of, Then?

Be honest........

IT'S THE QUIZ OF THE WEEK! JUST SCROLL DOWN AND HIT "FULL QUIZ".