**********************************************************WHY GRANTHAM? JUST CLICK:
TEXT **********************************************************

Sunday 16 November 2008

I Hate You Butler! (No, Really, I Do!!)


Next stop the crematorium?


I have just learnt that a truly great Briton died today. He was reported to have passed away peacefully in his sleep at his home in Budleigh Salterton in Devon at the age of 92. His name?..............Reg Varney.

So just why was Varney such a giant?
Well, believe it or not, it was not because he opened the world’s first ATM cash dispenser at Barclay’s Bank in Church Street, Enfield, north London, on June 27, 1969 – strange, but true.

No, Reg’s fame stems from the fact that he achieved a feat no-one else in the world of dramatic art ever did or is likely to do. You see, he starred in and was largely responsible for THE THREE MOST MEMORABLE FILMS EVER MADE!!

Orson Welles came close with Citizen Kane but his follow-ups never quite cut the mustard – sorry Orson, close but no cigar this time. Olivier’s celluloid version of Henry V and Rebecca got rave reviews, but he never managed the illusive trio. David Lean’s fantastic Lawrence of Arabia was brilliant but he just couldn’t turn his hand to a worthy number two and three. No, our Reg was the only person in the history of cinematography to capture the top three spots and hold onto them.

The run-up to Varney’s leap into the record books began in 1969 when he started honing his real skills in a television series which was billed as “comedy”, although to all people of any sensitivity whatsoever it was up there alongside anything Stephen King ever produced. It was called On the Buses and, ostensibly, followed the hilarious (sic) antics of London Transport bus driver Stan Butler, his workmates and family.

One recurring feature in the series was for the audience to be informed that a naked baby sitting on the kitchen table or draining board at Stan’s home had either farted, pissed all over the place or shat itself. Indeed, bodily functions played a big part in the show’s format.

Another tool for the creation of side-splitting situations was the projection of Stan as some sort of international babe magnet whom women would willingly date. To further this image, the producers gave Stan a partner in crime who was, if anything, even more irresistible to the gentler sex. He was Jack Harper, played by Bob Grant. Now the suspension of disbelief is central to many programmes but with Stan and Jack it was simply not possible.
Stan was a 5ft 2ins part-time dwarf with a Brylcreemed ‘50s barnet and the face of a parrot looking through a glass-bottomed tankard. Repellent though he was, his genetic misfortune paled into insignificance alongside that of Jack.
Jack had the teeth of a Grand National winner, the hair of Catweazle, a nose which could open beer bottles, the pallor of an anaemic Eskimo, the body of Charles Hawtry and the personality of the bastard child of Peter Stringfellow and Eva Braun. These two were not only the sort of men women tend not to throw themselves at, they were the sort of men women emigrate to avoid.

Alongside these central characters there was Stan’s sister, Olive (Anna Karen), who was quite simply the most revolting lump of lard which has ever squeezed itself into a floral print tent-dress, her curmudgeonly husband “Arfur” (Michael Robbins) and then the inspector at the bus garage, Blakey.
Blakey, played by Stephen Lewis, ostensibly had two lines during all seven series. They were “Get that bus outta ‘ere” and the nerve-janglingly, guffaw-inducing “I ‘ate yooo Batler!” which became the show’s catchline.

It was bad – it was very, very, very bad, but then, in 1971, Reginald stepped up a number of gears and undertook a project which was to catapult him to the very top of the hall of film fame.
He starred in the movie version of On the Buses!! Oh, dear God in heaven, it was terrible – simply unendurable. TW – THE worst - or so we thought. Quite definitely the most appalling film ever made….EVER.

I had only just crawled out from behind the settee when, a year later, Reg showed the world that it had been premature in its ranking of On the Buses and he starred in Mutiny on the Buses.
This was even worse! It seemed impossible but someone had managed to produce a new world-beater. It was the Medusa of the cinema – to look at it turned one to stone. People would rather gnaw off their own feet than watch it.

No one person had been responsible for THE two worst films ever made and so Varney was already a legend……………………..but then he only went and did it again.

1973 was a landmark year. I was just 13 and tiptoeing my way through puberty, Britain was busy entering the then EEC, Nixon announced a ceasefire in North Vietnam, councillors in Clay Cross, Derbyshire, were surcharged in an unprecedented move, George Foreman beat Joe Frazier to take the heavyweight championship of the world and Pink Floyd released Dark Side of the Moon. All of these events paled into insignificance, however, alongside something that happened in cinemas across the land. Yes, the stomach-churning Holiday on the Buses was released.








HOLIDAY ON THE BUSES IS, UNARGUABLY, THE MOST APPALLINGLY REVOLTING AND ATROCIOUS FILM OF ALL TIME!!!!! I’m sorry, but I find mere words inadequate to describe just how truly bad that film is. I believe the original version was set in concrete and buried somewhere in the Marianas trench, almost seven miles down in the north Pacific. It is shown to convicted serial killers as a substitute for the gas chamber. It………..Oh God, I can’t go on.

As I said, to clock up the two worst films of all time is a monumental achievement. To top that and produce a film which gives you the top three is unheard of.

God bless you, Reg. You have left us a legacy which shall never be forgotten. On top of that, you helped launch the career of one of my comedy heroes. You were the comedian in a double act in your early days and your partner, the straight man, was –the fabulous Benny Hill.

Grantham shall not have you, although the undertakers will.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought Mutiny on the Buses had its moments. Too bloody many of them.

Anonymous said...

I find it incredible that Yootha Joyce can be publicly critical of On The Buses when she played Mildred in "George and Mildred" with such a devastating effect on 70's TV audiences all over the country. I seem to recall reading a political commentary on this period that suggested the Miners' Strike and the Three Day Week were both driven by the desire on both sides to prevent ITV broadcasting this drivel in some of the more politically sensitive parts of the country.

Having said that, there were some positive points. The threat of exporting this sitcom to the Soviet Bloc played a large part in ending the Cold War (the Russians would have agreed to anything just to avoid watching this). I also understand that the end of the Iranian Embassy siege was implemented because the SAS bloke monitoring the fibre-optic-spy-thingy that they'd pushed through the wall overheard the theme tune for the programme and immediately gave the order to "Get in there for the love of Christ and turn that load of bollocks off." I'm sure we all remember the dramatic footage of the next few moments as our brave lads crashed in to end the evil taking place inside the building (it was actually episode 3 of the second series).

BGT

Betty said...

Strange that Benny Hill was in a double act with Reg. They both had pinched looking features and Brylcreemed hair.

I should have bought the Reg Varney autobiography for two quid that I saw in a cheap book shop in Greenwich a couple of years ago. He's a man for all seasons. Well, probably.

Gin said...

Don't know any of them, but I'm so tickled to read what you write. You have a great talent Reg and always make me laugh out loud!

David said...

I never in my wildest dreams ever believed anyone could say anything nice about 'On the Buses.'
I'm glad you didn't let me down.

Brad said...

What? BBC America's been holding out on us? They couldn't squeeze one or two of these shows or movies in between episodes of Ground Force and Couplings ?

Anonymous said...

You disappeared off my radar(notifier thingummy)and I've just found you. For this????You've made me rush to open a bottle of something to take away the taste.
Oh, by the way...he was not arf bad on the joanna, was Reg.

WEDNESDAY, 21 NOVEMBER 2007

SHORTS DON'T MATTER! 1. From the greatest programme ever made about association football, Barnstoneworth United FC manager Mr Dainty delivers one of the finest English soliloqiues of all time.......and afterwards, spare a thought for the club steward's wife Vera (YOU ONLY HAVE TO WATCH HALF OF THE CLIP!!).

Monday, 12 November 2007

Not everyone who agonises over their life is a painter. Some of us agonise because we're NOT painters.

....And On the Subject of Great Public Services

I know most of you have heard this marvellous song by those doctors who are the Amateur Transplants......but I think the video is a nice addition. P.S. If there are kids in the room I'd shuffle them out before hitting play.

...There's More

On the subject of those great doctors, here is their version of More Than Words which presents their challenging views on women outside Watford. The very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither, coming from Cumbria, is a huge fan. Again, get those kids out of the room!

Leave Britney Alone, Ok!!!

Oh...........my............God!!!!! My heartfelt thanks go to BGT for this. I won't say much more, I don't need to. Mr Loony of Loonytown, USA (I think it's a bloke, anyway), says it all. I fear he may be wound too tight for.....well.....well for everywhere, really!

Tuesday, 18 September 2007.

I wish I'd sung this! For non-Americans, and with apologies to all the smart arses out there who already knew, the FCC is the Federal Communications Commission and it monitors TV and radio output in the States - a sort of broadcast police - while the EPA is the Yanks' so-called Environmental Protection Agency, a body which does exactly the opposite of what it says on the can. (P.S. We went to the same school, you know? Eric and me, that is, not George, Martha, Dick and Condoleeza and me. I don't think they went to school.) P.P.S. Please see below if you are I Like The View, Malc or Doris.

To Make You Laugh and Cry

I was listening to this on a Sunday, the very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither is a Catholic, Tom Lehrer is one of my all-time heroes and this is one of his best.............no other reasons. On a more sombre note (and with thanks to Fish for coming up with this Woman's-Own-passes-the-time-in-the-dentist's-waiting-room nonsense), why not get a computer to tell you that you are a waste of space and your life is a sham of a mockery of a farce? Ok, it's from one of those poxy dating sites but...go on, take the test. You ain't got much to beat!!
This Is My Life, Rated
Life: 4.2
Mind: 4.1
Body: 2.7
Spirit: 8
Friends/Family: 1.6
Love: 0
Finance: 5.9
Take the Rate My Life Quiz
Apparently, in my case, "computer say 'no!'"

I First Saw This When I Was Little - And Loved It! I Hope That Explains a Few Things

Fuck, Fuckety, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck

It has been pointed out to me that, particularly for one whose profession is supposedly literary, my language is getting worse. My use of the "F" word is, I am told, far too prevalent and hence loses impact. To those who share this view I suggest you watch the following:

Tony Blair Isn't a Burglar - But If He Was.........

In the spirit of Gustav Holst's Jupiter and Manfred Mann's Earth Band, I feel like raising a smile today. The Big Green Thing alerted me to this and, for no other reason than to raise a smile on an otherwise crap Wednesday, I think it has to be shared. Grantham shall not have him - when he gets out of prison.

Life On The Edge - No Net.

I was wrong when I feared it might be a dull weekend, what with my pals being away, my soon-to-be ex-wife in rehab and only the dogs to play with. How wrong can a man be? This much fun must surely be illegal? Just click to see the japes and hoots I am having! Click again to see how things got REALLy exciting! Tomorrow we're going to chase pigeons.

The Good Old U.S. of A. - Guardians of Freedom and Democracy. Nothing to Be Scared of, Then?

Be honest........

IT'S THE QUIZ OF THE WEEK! JUST SCROLL DOWN AND HIT "FULL QUIZ".