**********************************************************WHY GRANTHAM? JUST CLICK:
TEXT **********************************************************

Tuesday 12 February 2008

High Noon


There was a problem at work today.
Fixing Pither with an icey stare, the - surprise, fucking surprise - ex-teacher who is his current and immediate boss bellowed: "So what are WE going to do about it?"
"ONE doesn't know about ONESELF," Pither replied, fixing her with his Grade 1 Paddington stare in return, "but if WE talk to ONE like a five-year-old again WE are going to be doing it all on our LONESY-WONESOME! Comprenez?"
This retort followed two weeks of carping, snide comments, uselessness and interference from said pig-in-a-dress so the Bunfight at the OK Tea Rooms moment had to arrive sooner or later.
"We need to talk, Pither. In my office!!"
As I closed the door behind us, she just managed to get as far as "I have never, in all my born days, been spoken to like....." when I said, calmly yet menacingly "I'm sure you haven't - and that is part of your problem. If you ever patronise me like that again in front of colleagues I will be out of here before you can say 'is it chairs-on-desks-time-already?' Me? I will walk into another job the following day. You? You will be left with a national, in-house magazine and a regional newsletter to bring out all on your own, you will actually have to field press calls instead of pretending you are too busy to take them and you will have to dig up news worthy stuff to issue as releases to the press. What's it gunna be?"
"All I meant was......"
"You meant to be rude, over-bearing, arrogant and to score points off the latest arrival in the office. Sadly, you have picked the wrong person. If you talk to me like that again or, for that matter, in the condescending way you have been doing since I came here, I shall respond in kind, with several words you will have to go and look up in a medical textbook!"
"Ok, I see how it could cause offence and I apologise."
"While we're on the subject of how not to run an office, might I suggest you stop asking me every five minutes to do things I actually did last week? Also, here's an idea. If you want to query my hours in front of other members of staff, I have logged them in detail and shall post them on the office wall. Might I suggest you do the same, although it might cause some embarrassment as you went home early on Friday, were off on Monday and are leaving early again today."
"You keep going out for smoke breaks."
"That would be because a) I smoke and b) You and your ilke have dictated that I have to go down nine floors and outside the building to smoke! Besides, I only go out about as frequently as you disappear to make tea or go to the snacks machine."
"I accept I can't stop you smoking but..."
"Too bleedin' right you can't! I can't stop you constantly eating chocolate either so let's call that a draw, shall we?"
"You take your lunch break at the wrong time."
"What!??!!"
"You go out at 2pm. Everyone else goes out from 1-2pm."
"That's WHY I go out at 2pm - to wait for everyone else to have their break, gentleman and considerate co-worker that I am, so that the office is not empty with no-one to take calls."
"Well I want you to go from 1-2pm."
"Fine, let's leave the office empty. Another stroke of genius."
"And I signed your hours last week at 2pm on Friday and you said you would be staying until 5pm."
"So?"
"Well I don't know that you actually did those hours on Friday, do I?"
"No, you don't, because you buggered off home just after 2pm. I, meanwhile, stayed until 5pm. Now, let's get the witnesses in to prove it."
"There's no need for that."
"Oh really? You've just implied that I could and might have defrauded the company and the agency which found me the job and you don't think that's something we need to sort out? I kinda think it is - either now or in court!"
"Ok, I accept you do not fiddle your hours, it's just..."
"Just what?!? The fact is you are desperately trying to find something to pin on me because I have pointed out that which is blindingly obvious to everyone out there - that you can no more run an office than you can run up Everest. Your job - your ONLY job - is to man-manage and, dare I say, you have Stalin's people skills. What you don't like is people who don't take crap. Well, I've taken more crap in 25 years of journalism than you've had Mars bars and I made up my mind a while ago that I wasn't about to take any more."
"I didn't realise you were so unhappy or angry."
"Oh, this isn't me being angry. The police are usually called when that happens."
"Well, I'm sorry if I've upset you. You are outspoken and I respect that. Let's move on and work together."
"For the best results, might I suggest that, from now on, I do my job and you don't do yours. I am self-employed, remember? I am not under the same tinpot little arbitrary rules you choose to make up for the others. We're not at school now."
"Is there anything else you're concerned about."
"My hair is thinning and I'm worried about our young tennis players not breaking through at international level but, apart from that, nothing at the moment - but I'll let you know if there is."
"Ok, maybe we should meet once a week, just to air any problems. Anyway, I'll have to go now as I've got to get home for 3pm because I'm going away tonight."
"No comment."

Bloody managers! Why is it that, invariably, they haven't got a fucking clue about how to encourage the people who work for them or how human beings behave? Conversely, all they fucking do is cause strife, make everyone want to give up and bring things to a grinding halt. Wankers!!
Anyway, I'm off tomorrow!! Before the catcalls start, Pad is going in for another operation and so I offered to work a half-day from home, instead of taking a day's leave, so long as I could take the dog to hospital. That idea was thrown out by Mrs Hitler and so the things which are on the diary/need to be done tomorrow just won't get fucking done because she sure as buggery-bollocks won't get off her purulent, voluminous, spotty arse to do them.

SHE can go to Grantham.

10 comments:

The Birdwatcher said...

They are bastards. Worse is to be in the tier of management in between. Then you get to do all the dirty work. If it goes well the layer above you take the credit. if it goes wrong they can take the credit for sorting out the mess that they forced you to make in the first place. Oh I can't wait for tomorrow and another exciting day at work. Hope Padfoot gets on okay. Fingers crossed.

Lou Lou said...

A+ rant!

and she more than deserved it too!

Vicus Scurra said...

I've shagged her.

Malcolm Cinnamond said...

Raising a mug of cocoa to you, old pal. Top class stuff.

Big hug to Pad from Uncle Malc.

dinahmow said...

Coouldn't SHE undergo the dog's surgery while you and Pad go and be office-cheer-squad?

Fingers X'd for the old boy.

Gin said...

Good luck Pad!

How in the heaven and earth do people like that become managers, anyway? You've just described my boss!

It's one of life's big mysteries, I guess. But I'd love to know what test they take to get these jobs. Just how far up do they have to take it in order to qualify??

Hi Reg, that was a great rant and one many of us can relate to. Hope all in all you're doing well.

Anonymous said...

Excellent stuff Reg. Some great retorts there! It's as if you never left the laugh factory here...

Love
Big Ears

Anonymous said...

be a hobo, that's what I'm going to do. *smug smile*

Doris said...

I share your feelings.

Hope all goes well with Pad. X

I, Like The View said...

knock knock!

WEDNESDAY, 21 NOVEMBER 2007

SHORTS DON'T MATTER! 1. From the greatest programme ever made about association football, Barnstoneworth United FC manager Mr Dainty delivers one of the finest English soliloqiues of all time.......and afterwards, spare a thought for the club steward's wife Vera (YOU ONLY HAVE TO WATCH HALF OF THE CLIP!!).

Monday, 12 November 2007

Not everyone who agonises over their life is a painter. Some of us agonise because we're NOT painters.

....And On the Subject of Great Public Services

I know most of you have heard this marvellous song by those doctors who are the Amateur Transplants......but I think the video is a nice addition. P.S. If there are kids in the room I'd shuffle them out before hitting play.

...There's More

On the subject of those great doctors, here is their version of More Than Words which presents their challenging views on women outside Watford. The very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither, coming from Cumbria, is a huge fan. Again, get those kids out of the room!

Leave Britney Alone, Ok!!!

Oh...........my............God!!!!! My heartfelt thanks go to BGT for this. I won't say much more, I don't need to. Mr Loony of Loonytown, USA (I think it's a bloke, anyway), says it all. I fear he may be wound too tight for.....well.....well for everywhere, really!

Tuesday, 18 September 2007.

I wish I'd sung this! For non-Americans, and with apologies to all the smart arses out there who already knew, the FCC is the Federal Communications Commission and it monitors TV and radio output in the States - a sort of broadcast police - while the EPA is the Yanks' so-called Environmental Protection Agency, a body which does exactly the opposite of what it says on the can. (P.S. We went to the same school, you know? Eric and me, that is, not George, Martha, Dick and Condoleeza and me. I don't think they went to school.) P.P.S. Please see below if you are I Like The View, Malc or Doris.

To Make You Laugh and Cry

I was listening to this on a Sunday, the very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither is a Catholic, Tom Lehrer is one of my all-time heroes and this is one of his best.............no other reasons. On a more sombre note (and with thanks to Fish for coming up with this Woman's-Own-passes-the-time-in-the-dentist's-waiting-room nonsense), why not get a computer to tell you that you are a waste of space and your life is a sham of a mockery of a farce? Ok, it's from one of those poxy dating sites but...go on, take the test. You ain't got much to beat!!
This Is My Life, Rated
Life: 4.2
Mind: 4.1
Body: 2.7
Spirit: 8
Friends/Family: 1.6
Love: 0
Finance: 5.9
Take the Rate My Life Quiz
Apparently, in my case, "computer say 'no!'"

I First Saw This When I Was Little - And Loved It! I Hope That Explains a Few Things

Fuck, Fuckety, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck

It has been pointed out to me that, particularly for one whose profession is supposedly literary, my language is getting worse. My use of the "F" word is, I am told, far too prevalent and hence loses impact. To those who share this view I suggest you watch the following:

Tony Blair Isn't a Burglar - But If He Was.........

In the spirit of Gustav Holst's Jupiter and Manfred Mann's Earth Band, I feel like raising a smile today. The Big Green Thing alerted me to this and, for no other reason than to raise a smile on an otherwise crap Wednesday, I think it has to be shared. Grantham shall not have him - when he gets out of prison.

Life On The Edge - No Net.

I was wrong when I feared it might be a dull weekend, what with my pals being away, my soon-to-be ex-wife in rehab and only the dogs to play with. How wrong can a man be? This much fun must surely be illegal? Just click to see the japes and hoots I am having! Click again to see how things got REALLy exciting! Tomorrow we're going to chase pigeons.

The Good Old U.S. of A. - Guardians of Freedom and Democracy. Nothing to Be Scared of, Then?

Be honest........

IT'S THE QUIZ OF THE WEEK! JUST SCROLL DOWN AND HIT "FULL QUIZ".