**********************************************************WHY GRANTHAM? JUST CLICK:
TEXT **********************************************************

Thursday 10 April 2008

The Reluctant

I was installing a fire alarm when I was given the wrong type of ladder and...........no, hang on a tick, wrong story.
Let's see.....Oh yes, I went to the building society this morning - yes, that's better, that's the one - to be confronted by yet another example of the genius which is the ubiquitous British "manager" - you know, the people to whom we have to pay obscenely high wages or else they will go abroad and take their unique skills with them!!!!!
There I was, waiting patiently in a queue of blue-rinse, "two-rashers-of-bacon-and-have-them-delivered" old bats who seem to make up 99 per cent of the clientele of this particular society when, being a trained observer, I spotted a poster on the wall which was upside down (that is the poster was upside down, not the wall, although I'm not sure how you can tell when a wall is the wrong way up? I mean, it may have been, but that didn't spark my imagination as much as the inverted poster did.) Anyway, inquisitive type that I am, when it was my turn to be served I asked the woman cashier why this one particular poster was upside down when all the others flogging the society's offers were the right way up.
"So that people will ask me why it is the wrong way up," she replied.
"Come again?" I said.
"Well, the thinking is, apparently, that you ask me why it is upside down and I tell you it is to draw your attention to it."
"Wouldn't a poster of a naked woman with big tits also grab my attention?"
"Ah, but the provision of women with big tits is not one of the services we offer."
"What about that woman at the Cashier Number 5 till?"
"Cheeky! No, it is supposed to draw your attention to the loans we offer, as detailed on the poster."
"But I can't read about the loans because the poster is upside down."
"I know, so when you ask why it is upside down I'm supposed to ask if you would like me to tell you about the loans we offer."
"You're bloody kidding me?"
"No. Would you like to know about the loans we offer?"
"I'd rather scrape my retina off with a rusty chisel."
"I know. That's what everyone says - well, not always in those words. Don't ask me. It was some clown's idea at head office. I just obey orders."

The young managerial prospect behind the upside down poster idea receives the Pither Award for Contribution to Business.


Yes, ladies and gentlemen, that is the type of brilliance we are in danger of losing to other countries if we do not pay the fuckwit oilbags who generate it professional footballer-style salaries, with sickening bonuses, company 7 Series BMWs and use of executive lavatories thrown in! Dunno about you, but I kinda feel Britain would not sink below the waves if that particular kind of brain were allowed to go down the drain?

On another tack, the unreadable poster idea is just the latest wheeze dreamed up by this particular building society in an effort to make it less usable.
When I first signed up it was known as The Staffordshire and had a branch in our village.
For a while I thought it was a normal building society and used to pop in from time to time to make deposits or withdrawals. It soon dawned on me, however, that The Staffordshire just hated people having anything to do with it and so began a determined campaign to shake off any customers foolish enough to join. To this end, after about six months, the branch in the village closed down - no explanation, no warning, nothing. Just a waxed message in the window saying "closed". Then, about a fortnight later, it reopened. This time,
however, it went by the name of The Portman. All the women behind the counter had swapped their little green uniforms for little blue ones and we all had to swap our passbooks for ones with similarly updated livery.
All went well again for about two months when, horror of horrors, it closed down again. This time, a message in the window said "Have Moved". Sadly, the message did not carry any addendum with instructions on where to find the new branch.
Fortunately, however, Mrs Pither and I received an anonymous letter tipping us off that the branch was now to be found about a mile away. Sure enough, there it was, in the location given in the
letter. Fellow customers eventually discovered the new location and business was in danger of returning to normal and so.............it closed down again. Yet again there was no warning, nothing. A week passed. Another week passed. Then, just as we were all about to give up and hide our money under our mattresses, it reopened! Da Daaa!! There was, of course, yet another attempt to throw us off the scent. The society had changed its name again. This time it was called The Nationwide - but they couldn't fool us. We knew is was them. They couldn't hide. All the same ladies were behind the counter, even though they had all had make-overs and new uniforms and, once again, we were forced to swap our passbooks for new ones.
That was about six months ago and a new attempt to shake off customers is no doubt about to be unleashed. In the meantime, I have taken to calling the society The Reluctant as that makes life more constant and understandable for me and, I think, more correctly reflects the business's attitude to attracting investors.

The Reluctant shall not go to Grantham - God knows, I have enough trouble trying to find or recognise it as it is - but ridiculous ideas dreamed up by talentless "managers" will be dispatched with all speed.

4 comments:

Gadjo Dilo said...

I was talking once to one of these bank/building-society guys - a youngster, quite enthusiastic – and he referred to the services they offer us as "products". Like a 12.5% for the rest-of-your-life bond-of-servitude is one "product"; but paying 12.75% and getting your last few days on your death-bed feeling like a millionaire because you know you're all paid-up is another "product". I dunno. I can accept that a car or a washing machine is a product: they require many man-hours to build. But adjusting one figure down slightly and the other one correspondingly in the other direction??

Anonymous said...

To hell with banks and building societies - buy a fire proof safe and nail it to the floor. My housemate's nan recently decided to open a bank account after an entire life of shunning the things, and revealed that she kept all her money in cash underneath her bed. £15,000 in coppers. Tax Free. Suh-weet.

Gin said...

I think you're on the right track when you said you were about to put your money under your mattress! Altho I always found a fruit jar buried in the back yard a bit more secure!

Idler said...

I know someone in the financial services industry. I asked him once "what do you do exactly?". He said "I sell concepts". I wonder if he is familiar with the concept of unemployment.

WEDNESDAY, 21 NOVEMBER 2007

SHORTS DON'T MATTER! 1. From the greatest programme ever made about association football, Barnstoneworth United FC manager Mr Dainty delivers one of the finest English soliloqiues of all time.......and afterwards, spare a thought for the club steward's wife Vera (YOU ONLY HAVE TO WATCH HALF OF THE CLIP!!).

Monday, 12 November 2007

Not everyone who agonises over their life is a painter. Some of us agonise because we're NOT painters.

....And On the Subject of Great Public Services

I know most of you have heard this marvellous song by those doctors who are the Amateur Transplants......but I think the video is a nice addition. P.S. If there are kids in the room I'd shuffle them out before hitting play.

...There's More

On the subject of those great doctors, here is their version of More Than Words which presents their challenging views on women outside Watford. The very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither, coming from Cumbria, is a huge fan. Again, get those kids out of the room!

Leave Britney Alone, Ok!!!

Oh...........my............God!!!!! My heartfelt thanks go to BGT for this. I won't say much more, I don't need to. Mr Loony of Loonytown, USA (I think it's a bloke, anyway), says it all. I fear he may be wound too tight for.....well.....well for everywhere, really!

Tuesday, 18 September 2007.

I wish I'd sung this! For non-Americans, and with apologies to all the smart arses out there who already knew, the FCC is the Federal Communications Commission and it monitors TV and radio output in the States - a sort of broadcast police - while the EPA is the Yanks' so-called Environmental Protection Agency, a body which does exactly the opposite of what it says on the can. (P.S. We went to the same school, you know? Eric and me, that is, not George, Martha, Dick and Condoleeza and me. I don't think they went to school.) P.P.S. Please see below if you are I Like The View, Malc or Doris.

To Make You Laugh and Cry

I was listening to this on a Sunday, the very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither is a Catholic, Tom Lehrer is one of my all-time heroes and this is one of his best.............no other reasons. On a more sombre note (and with thanks to Fish for coming up with this Woman's-Own-passes-the-time-in-the-dentist's-waiting-room nonsense), why not get a computer to tell you that you are a waste of space and your life is a sham of a mockery of a farce? Ok, it's from one of those poxy dating sites but...go on, take the test. You ain't got much to beat!!
This Is My Life, Rated
Life: 4.2
Mind: 4.1
Body: 2.7
Spirit: 8
Friends/Family: 1.6
Love: 0
Finance: 5.9
Take the Rate My Life Quiz
Apparently, in my case, "computer say 'no!'"

I First Saw This When I Was Little - And Loved It! I Hope That Explains a Few Things

Fuck, Fuckety, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck

It has been pointed out to me that, particularly for one whose profession is supposedly literary, my language is getting worse. My use of the "F" word is, I am told, far too prevalent and hence loses impact. To those who share this view I suggest you watch the following:

Tony Blair Isn't a Burglar - But If He Was.........

In the spirit of Gustav Holst's Jupiter and Manfred Mann's Earth Band, I feel like raising a smile today. The Big Green Thing alerted me to this and, for no other reason than to raise a smile on an otherwise crap Wednesday, I think it has to be shared. Grantham shall not have him - when he gets out of prison.

Life On The Edge - No Net.

I was wrong when I feared it might be a dull weekend, what with my pals being away, my soon-to-be ex-wife in rehab and only the dogs to play with. How wrong can a man be? This much fun must surely be illegal? Just click to see the japes and hoots I am having! Click again to see how things got REALLy exciting! Tomorrow we're going to chase pigeons.

The Good Old U.S. of A. - Guardians of Freedom and Democracy. Nothing to Be Scared of, Then?

Be honest........

IT'S THE QUIZ OF THE WEEK! JUST SCROLL DOWN AND HIT "FULL QUIZ".