**********************************************************WHY GRANTHAM? JUST CLICK:
TEXT **********************************************************

Thursday 23 November 2006

Virgin West Coast Main Line

"Ok driver, have it your way. I haven't got off at Watford and this isn't a fucking Virgin train."

For a variety of reasons, I have made three trips to north London in the last three weeks. I chose, wrongly as it turned out, to make the trips by train. All the journeys were made at around 2pm on Fridays and, as far as I am aware, the capital has neither moved further away from where I live nor crept up closer while my back was turned. Over the said three-week period there was no volcanic activity in the middle ground which could have thrown up large mountains or gaping chasms in the path of the train. Teleportation was not adopted by Virgin as the new way of getting about, the Royal Train did not run on that line and a hot and a cold running naughty maid service was not introduced for the enjoyment of those in either Cattle or Thatch Class. Why, then, did the same bloody journey at the same bloody time of day in the same bloody manner each bloody time cost a bewildering array of different bloody amounts?
The first trip weighed in at £27 for a return to Euston. I upgraded to Thatch Class when I was told that the Cattle Transportation Wagons were stuffed to the rafters and it would cost just an extra £10 for a seat in one of the plush, half-empty fucking "this is the way it should all be" carriages. I had, in the meantime, decided to get off at Watford (long story) but was told that the train didn't stop at Watford. When it DID stop at Watford I got off! I overstayed my return journey and so had to buy a single to get back home two days later than planned. I opted for Thatch class, as it had not been as expensive as I had imagined the last time I travelled. The cost? £94!!!! How does that work? Single Thatch is more than twice the cost of return Thatch!!!!!
The third trip I asked for a return to Watford. "None of our trains stop at Watford," said the blood-red suited Virgin woman (irony was apparently lost on her). "One did the other week," I chirrupped. "This one, in fact." "No it didn't," she persisted. "Yes it did," I maintained. "No it didn't," etc. etc. "Then how the bleeding Hell did I get off at Watford?" I inquired, beginning to lose it. "Did I leap from the speeding carriage? Do I look like that bloke from the Black Magic advert?" Anyway, to ward off the onset of retirement we agreed that she was right and I was wrong. I hadn't got off at Watford. That must have been the "other me" in our parallel universe. "A single to Euston then, please." How much this time? £10!!! I kid you not, £10!!!! Same day, same time remember.
The return? I got on at Watford for my trip back, again a Friday, again about 2pm. How much this time for a single? £35.90!!!!! Not only is Watford nearer to my home than Euston, why does covering the distance in the same manner cost almost four times as much?
I am convinced Virgin ticket machines are in fact salvaged Enigma coding devices from the Second World War. Staff just key in the destination and the machine belches out one of 23,457,986 different possible ticket prices. Where is Alan Turing when you bloody need him?
Virgin West Coast Mainline has to be diverted through Grantham!

No comments:

WEDNESDAY, 21 NOVEMBER 2007

SHORTS DON'T MATTER! 1. From the greatest programme ever made about association football, Barnstoneworth United FC manager Mr Dainty delivers one of the finest English soliloqiues of all time.......and afterwards, spare a thought for the club steward's wife Vera (YOU ONLY HAVE TO WATCH HALF OF THE CLIP!!).

Monday, 12 November 2007

Not everyone who agonises over their life is a painter. Some of us agonise because we're NOT painters.

....And On the Subject of Great Public Services

I know most of you have heard this marvellous song by those doctors who are the Amateur Transplants......but I think the video is a nice addition. P.S. If there are kids in the room I'd shuffle them out before hitting play.

...There's More

On the subject of those great doctors, here is their version of More Than Words which presents their challenging views on women outside Watford. The very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither, coming from Cumbria, is a huge fan. Again, get those kids out of the room!

Leave Britney Alone, Ok!!!

Oh...........my............God!!!!! My heartfelt thanks go to BGT for this. I won't say much more, I don't need to. Mr Loony of Loonytown, USA (I think it's a bloke, anyway), says it all. I fear he may be wound too tight for.....well.....well for everywhere, really!

Tuesday, 18 September 2007.

I wish I'd sung this! For non-Americans, and with apologies to all the smart arses out there who already knew, the FCC is the Federal Communications Commission and it monitors TV and radio output in the States - a sort of broadcast police - while the EPA is the Yanks' so-called Environmental Protection Agency, a body which does exactly the opposite of what it says on the can. (P.S. We went to the same school, you know? Eric and me, that is, not George, Martha, Dick and Condoleeza and me. I don't think they went to school.) P.P.S. Please see below if you are I Like The View, Malc or Doris.

To Make You Laugh and Cry

I was listening to this on a Sunday, the very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither is a Catholic, Tom Lehrer is one of my all-time heroes and this is one of his best.............no other reasons. On a more sombre note (and with thanks to Fish for coming up with this Woman's-Own-passes-the-time-in-the-dentist's-waiting-room nonsense), why not get a computer to tell you that you are a waste of space and your life is a sham of a mockery of a farce? Ok, it's from one of those poxy dating sites but...go on, take the test. You ain't got much to beat!!
This Is My Life, Rated
Life: 4.2
Mind: 4.1
Body: 2.7
Spirit: 8
Friends/Family: 1.6
Love: 0
Finance: 5.9
Take the Rate My Life Quiz
Apparently, in my case, "computer say 'no!'"

I First Saw This When I Was Little - And Loved It! I Hope That Explains a Few Things

Fuck, Fuckety, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck

It has been pointed out to me that, particularly for one whose profession is supposedly literary, my language is getting worse. My use of the "F" word is, I am told, far too prevalent and hence loses impact. To those who share this view I suggest you watch the following:

Tony Blair Isn't a Burglar - But If He Was.........

In the spirit of Gustav Holst's Jupiter and Manfred Mann's Earth Band, I feel like raising a smile today. The Big Green Thing alerted me to this and, for no other reason than to raise a smile on an otherwise crap Wednesday, I think it has to be shared. Grantham shall not have him - when he gets out of prison.

Life On The Edge - No Net.

I was wrong when I feared it might be a dull weekend, what with my pals being away, my soon-to-be ex-wife in rehab and only the dogs to play with. How wrong can a man be? This much fun must surely be illegal? Just click to see the japes and hoots I am having! Click again to see how things got REALLy exciting! Tomorrow we're going to chase pigeons.

The Good Old U.S. of A. - Guardians of Freedom and Democracy. Nothing to Be Scared of, Then?

Be honest........

IT'S THE QUIZ OF THE WEEK! JUST SCROLL DOWN AND HIT "FULL QUIZ".