**********************************************************WHY GRANTHAM? JUST CLICK:
TEXT **********************************************************

Monday 10 March 2008

For Pither.... Zee Vorr Would Have Been Over Dead Quick


Takes you back, doesn't it? Well, it didn't take Steve back, if you remember (he got shot!) Me, on the other hand? I had this exact poster on my bedroom wall at home during my formative years.

............................

Have you got what it takes to be British? Well, have you?

Ok, some of you aren't British so.....well.....well you haven't - and whatever it is, no doubt you don't want it. But what about those of you born ON these septic isles? Are you made of the right stuff?

I always thought I was. I always thought I had what it took. As a youngster, I used to watch films about good ole W..W..I..I and pictured myself as a fearless flyer, going wing tip to wing tip with the Wingco and downing bally Gerry in his hundreds before victory rolls, a cup of tea, a few jam sandwiches and a night on the town with Julie Christie.
When I wasn't winning the Battle of Britain I was alongside Johnny and Dickie and the chaps in the north Atlantic, braving the mountainous waves and playing cat and mouse with Johnny U-boat.

All that was blown out of the water this afternoon. Well, strictly speaking, and continuing the aquatic theme, it was probably worn away in the years after I left school, inevitably eroded as would be a man's forehead under the dripping tap of the Chinese Water Torture.

I watched a good old British war film this afternoon - day off, don't ya know! - and it was about a bunch of Tommies intent on breaking out of a German prisoner of war camp. That was the premise which made me re-evaluate my Britishness.
So, Johnny Nazi has captured me - it's my duty to escape, isn't it? They say that in all the films, don't they? Here's a poser for you, however............WHY??
Picture the scene. My Rover MG tank has broken down in Dusseldorf, all my pals have fucked off, grey seems to be the uniform of choice of those around me.....and it's 1944 - oops! So, I get led away to Stalag Luft Laughalot and "for you Tommy, zee vorr ist over!"
What does the future hold for me? Well, I haven't got to go to work again, I get a communal home, a bed, food and the chance to leap over a vaulting horse in my spare time. When the war is over - win, lose or draw - I get to go back to some twat, somewhere, telling me what to do all day.
What, on the other hand, happens if I escape? Well, if I dodge the bullets from the watch towers, if I dodge the bullets as I run for the woods, if I don't die of exhaustion heading for civilisation, if I don't get arrested and shot by the SS as I try to board a train for Switzerland and if I'm not stopped at the border and strung up with piano wire....I face a two week, exhausting trek getting back to good old Blighty where I am dusted down, given a fresh rifle and sent back to die fighting Johnnny Hun again over in Germany, where I've just come from! If, by some miracle, I don't get stabbed, shot, garotted or blown up during the course of the rest of the war what lies in store? I get to go back to some twat, somewhere, telling me what to do all day.
Now, call me anal if you like. Call me disloyal. Call me unpatriotic (Oh please, please, please call me unpatriotic!) but why the fucking Hell would I want to escape from somewhere where I am dry, have a place to sleep and something to eat, surrounded by a bunch of pals, to somewhere where I face imminent death shortly after arrival?
It leads me to think that I would have dreamed of being captured. "Ok Fritz, it's a fair cop. Look, I'm laying down my pistol and putting up my hands. Right, now does your camp stage comedy revues?" "But, Mein Herr, I am just bartender. You vait for soldier to surrender?"

That's about it, I think. Patriotism can go to Grantham - so can escaping.

P.S. I was going up update this post anyway but The Scurra has, as usual, beaten me to it. Young Vicus suggests that I might not be altogether in favour of Lord Goldsmith's proposals aired the day after I wrote the above.
The loony, loaded lord suggested that "Britishness" - whatever the fuck that is - should be taught in our schools and our snotty-nosed delinquents should be made to swear an oath of allegiance to the Queen.
Am I in favour? - of the flower of this nation swearing loyalty to a German, who is married to a Greek, who lives on benefits, in a council house, pays no rent, has a bunch of disfunctional kids all likewise on some kind of handouts - all paid for by the taxpayer - and who has, to date, refused every job opportunity offered to her by the Mayfair JobCentre? Uuuurrrmmmmm...............no!

8 comments:

garfer said...

Colditz always looked more fun than Butlins to me.

Better bratwurst and saurkraut with a peep up a fraulien camp attendants camisole than two weeks drinking Watneys red barrel and eating spam fritters.

Anonymous said...

You might feel differently if you were facing the tactical and weaponry might of the most feared vehicle in World War II - a Sturm Tiger

Vicus Scurra said...

I guess you don't think too much of lord Goldsmith's proposals then?

Zig said...

you are unpatriotic.

(I only say this because you requested that your readers do)

Anonymous said...

Foolish Reg - One knows that one is truly British if, when one finds oneself incarcerated in a German prisoner of war camp, one immediately thinks to oneself What would Sir Edmund Blackadder do?

Problem solved, I think you'll find.

Gin said...

Patriotic or not, your blog is always so educational!

Good to see you Mr. Unpatriotic Brit

dinahmow said...

OK, you're unpatriotic.
And you forgot to mention that she is also boss of the C of E. So you'd be swearing allegiance that, too, which was where Guy Fawkes and others came unstuck.
Delinquents taking the oath? Splendid varsity revue material!

FirstNations said...

the innerknot is three steps ahead of you, reg.
why just hours ago i was at a site chock full of sweaty young uncut brits laboring and sweating away under the watchful eyes of their stern, cruel, latex-clad Nazi Masters. then one of them fell, and a Nazi picked him up and all the other Nazis took off their pants, and then all the british sweaty guys took off their pants....

anyway, nobody looked like they wanted to escape.

WEDNESDAY, 21 NOVEMBER 2007

SHORTS DON'T MATTER! 1. From the greatest programme ever made about association football, Barnstoneworth United FC manager Mr Dainty delivers one of the finest English soliloqiues of all time.......and afterwards, spare a thought for the club steward's wife Vera (YOU ONLY HAVE TO WATCH HALF OF THE CLIP!!).

Monday, 12 November 2007

Not everyone who agonises over their life is a painter. Some of us agonise because we're NOT painters.

....And On the Subject of Great Public Services

I know most of you have heard this marvellous song by those doctors who are the Amateur Transplants......but I think the video is a nice addition. P.S. If there are kids in the room I'd shuffle them out before hitting play.

...There's More

On the subject of those great doctors, here is their version of More Than Words which presents their challenging views on women outside Watford. The very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither, coming from Cumbria, is a huge fan. Again, get those kids out of the room!

Leave Britney Alone, Ok!!!

Oh...........my............God!!!!! My heartfelt thanks go to BGT for this. I won't say much more, I don't need to. Mr Loony of Loonytown, USA (I think it's a bloke, anyway), says it all. I fear he may be wound too tight for.....well.....well for everywhere, really!

Tuesday, 18 September 2007.

I wish I'd sung this! For non-Americans, and with apologies to all the smart arses out there who already knew, the FCC is the Federal Communications Commission and it monitors TV and radio output in the States - a sort of broadcast police - while the EPA is the Yanks' so-called Environmental Protection Agency, a body which does exactly the opposite of what it says on the can. (P.S. We went to the same school, you know? Eric and me, that is, not George, Martha, Dick and Condoleeza and me. I don't think they went to school.) P.P.S. Please see below if you are I Like The View, Malc or Doris.

To Make You Laugh and Cry

I was listening to this on a Sunday, the very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither is a Catholic, Tom Lehrer is one of my all-time heroes and this is one of his best.............no other reasons. On a more sombre note (and with thanks to Fish for coming up with this Woman's-Own-passes-the-time-in-the-dentist's-waiting-room nonsense), why not get a computer to tell you that you are a waste of space and your life is a sham of a mockery of a farce? Ok, it's from one of those poxy dating sites but...go on, take the test. You ain't got much to beat!!
This Is My Life, Rated
Life: 4.2
Mind: 4.1
Body: 2.7
Spirit: 8
Friends/Family: 1.6
Love: 0
Finance: 5.9
Take the Rate My Life Quiz
Apparently, in my case, "computer say 'no!'"

I First Saw This When I Was Little - And Loved It! I Hope That Explains a Few Things

Fuck, Fuckety, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck

It has been pointed out to me that, particularly for one whose profession is supposedly literary, my language is getting worse. My use of the "F" word is, I am told, far too prevalent and hence loses impact. To those who share this view I suggest you watch the following:

Tony Blair Isn't a Burglar - But If He Was.........

In the spirit of Gustav Holst's Jupiter and Manfred Mann's Earth Band, I feel like raising a smile today. The Big Green Thing alerted me to this and, for no other reason than to raise a smile on an otherwise crap Wednesday, I think it has to be shared. Grantham shall not have him - when he gets out of prison.

Life On The Edge - No Net.

I was wrong when I feared it might be a dull weekend, what with my pals being away, my soon-to-be ex-wife in rehab and only the dogs to play with. How wrong can a man be? This much fun must surely be illegal? Just click to see the japes and hoots I am having! Click again to see how things got REALLy exciting! Tomorrow we're going to chase pigeons.

The Good Old U.S. of A. - Guardians of Freedom and Democracy. Nothing to Be Scared of, Then?

Be honest........

IT'S THE QUIZ OF THE WEEK! JUST SCROLL DOWN AND HIT "FULL QUIZ".