**********************************************************WHY GRANTHAM? JUST CLICK:
TEXT **********************************************************

Monday 24 March 2008

The Rugby Conspiracy


What exactly is going on at Rugby?

Don't tell me - it's not been bothering you? You see it as being of little importance? Well, it's worrying the Hell out of me! You see, I have gone beyond being a believer in conspiracy theories. I now think conspiracy theories are put about by the unseen, uber-powerful hands running the world in a bid to make their one, true conspiracy appear implausible - a sort of double-Mexican trick.

Well, I'm here to tell you that whatever "they" are creating at Rugby it is obviously gigantic and definitely sinister. Why gigantic? - because it's taking so fucking long to build. Why sinister? - because "they" refuse to give "us" any details about it.

For the uninitiated, I am talking about the closure this Bank Holiday of the nation's busiest rail link - the West Coast Mainline between London and Glasgow. Technically, it's only closed between London and Coventry this time but what bloody use is the remaining track? Wanting to flee Birmingham is understandable - almost laudable - but swapping it for Glasgow could best be termed "ill advised"!

No, if you're one of the seven million people crammed into the country's capital and you fancy a change of scene by sampling the delights of Watford, Milton Keynes,
Northampton, Rugby, Nuneaton, Coventry, Birmingham, Wolverhampton, Stafford, Stoke-on-Trent, Macclesfield, Stockport, Manchester, Runcorn, Liverpool, Warrington, Wigan, Preston, Lancaster, Oxenholme, Penrith, Carlisle, Motherwell, Edinburgh or Glasgow - FORGET IT!! Likewise, anyone in those towns and cities who fancies paying £3.50 for a pint of piss-poor beer while listening to gobshite, do-what-as-it-'appens-apple-'n'-pears-strewth-stroll-on types banging on about how General Pinochet should be running this country - they too will have to wait until another day.

This is not the first time this vital artery has been closed down, of course. The architects of this wheeze, Network Rail, shut the line off at Christmas and when it did not reopen on New Year's Day, as promised, they were fined £14 million. Incidentally, what a great idea that was!! We, the British taxpayers, all-but own Network Rail anyway because of the gigantic subsidies we provide and so what we in fact did was order ourselves to pay us a large fine to teach us a lesson!
Anyway, commuters weren't the only ones to suffer as a result of the shutdown. My heroes at Virgin Trains, having secured the West Coast Mainline operator's contract when they lost the Berlin-Auschwitz link, were unable to pack people into their cattle trucks, treat them like shit and make them late for whatever it was they wanted to do for four whole days! Virgin tends to get very annoyed if it is unable to mistreat passengers for so much as an hour.

The point of this diatribe - there is a point, honest - is that the same, implausible excuse is trundled out each time large parts of the country are left paralysed when a choo-choo-no-no order is handed down. Network Rail tells us it is as a result of................."ENGINEERING WORKS AT RUGBY".
I have one principal problem with this explanation/excuse. WHY FUCKING RUGBY? Follow me, if you will, on a brief journey along the logic mainline. Our rail infrastructure is crumbling through years of under-investment - agreed? The West Coast Mainline is approximately 400 miles long - agreed? (trust me, I've Googled it). Sleepers, railway track, points and signals must surely be distributed relatively evenly along the length of the line - agreed? Atmospheric conditions do no differ that massively between London and Glasgow - agreed? The ravages of time as far as rail links are concerned - i.e. rust, electrical faults, vandalism, warping, cracking etc. - do not favour one town or city or one stretch of countryside over another - agreed? We will shortly be arriving at our destination at Logicsville so please make sure you have all your bags and personal possessions with you when you alight - and mind the gap! Yup, why do Network Rail only ever carry out "engineering works" at one awful outpost of Warwickshire when the rest of the network is no doubt in equally dire need of repair?
Cynics might say that Network Rail workmen can't get to other parts of the line to do work on account of there being no trains because the line is shut. Heaven forfend that I should join those catcalls.

The only conclusion I can draw is that, as I said at the outset, something huge and sinister is being built at Rugby. Perhaps it's some labyrinthine, underground city to house our political masters and their corporate overlords after some forthcoming but top secret nuclear onslaught on Portugal?
Is there some Blofeld-type character with designs on world domination who is currently staying with his cat in a bed-sit in Rugby until his new headquarters are built? Then again, could it be that aliens from a distant galaxy have made contact with our top Government boffins and decreed that they intend to colonise our humble, blue-green planet and added the condition "Hmm, not too expensive, mind. And near to some good shops. We quite fancy Rugby"?

Like I said, this whole mystery is troubling me. If anyone has any other equally likely theories I would love to hear them. Until we decide exactly what is going on at Rugby I don't have anything for Grantham.

9 comments:

Mangonel said...

But isn't that the point? No-one's ever been to Rugby because the trains never fucking go there!

So how does anyone know anything?

Anonymous said...

Being 'merican, I have no insight on anything at all. But I do look forwars to the verdict, as something must go to Grantham!

Malcolm Cinnamond said...

How about replacement bus services? Could they go to Grantham? They'd have to go everywhere else first and get in an hour-and-a-half late though.

Zig said...

engineering works at Rugby which is good because it doesn't work anywhere else. It must be a protective principle lest we lose the ability to engineer, so it's being preserved.

ta daa!

The Birdwatcher said...

When I read "Rugby Conspiracy" I got all excited. Were Union and League to re unite? Never mind. They always do Engineering works on Sundays near Christmas up our way. Its all in the planning you see.

FirstNations said...

Rugby...Midwich.

two syllables.

in England.

unaccountably off limits.

the government says nothing.


COINCIDENCE?

hint: if you see a lot of little blonde kids looking at you fixedly, run, pither. RUN.

Gin said...

Hey Reg...Drop by my blog, I have awarded you the "E" award! Stop and pick it up.

The Birdwatcher said...

Reg are you okay?

Zig said...

? tis April you know.

'worried'

x

WEDNESDAY, 21 NOVEMBER 2007

SHORTS DON'T MATTER! 1. From the greatest programme ever made about association football, Barnstoneworth United FC manager Mr Dainty delivers one of the finest English soliloqiues of all time.......and afterwards, spare a thought for the club steward's wife Vera (YOU ONLY HAVE TO WATCH HALF OF THE CLIP!!).

Monday, 12 November 2007

Not everyone who agonises over their life is a painter. Some of us agonise because we're NOT painters.

....And On the Subject of Great Public Services

I know most of you have heard this marvellous song by those doctors who are the Amateur Transplants......but I think the video is a nice addition. P.S. If there are kids in the room I'd shuffle them out before hitting play.

...There's More

On the subject of those great doctors, here is their version of More Than Words which presents their challenging views on women outside Watford. The very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither, coming from Cumbria, is a huge fan. Again, get those kids out of the room!

Leave Britney Alone, Ok!!!

Oh...........my............God!!!!! My heartfelt thanks go to BGT for this. I won't say much more, I don't need to. Mr Loony of Loonytown, USA (I think it's a bloke, anyway), says it all. I fear he may be wound too tight for.....well.....well for everywhere, really!

Tuesday, 18 September 2007.

I wish I'd sung this! For non-Americans, and with apologies to all the smart arses out there who already knew, the FCC is the Federal Communications Commission and it monitors TV and radio output in the States - a sort of broadcast police - while the EPA is the Yanks' so-called Environmental Protection Agency, a body which does exactly the opposite of what it says on the can. (P.S. We went to the same school, you know? Eric and me, that is, not George, Martha, Dick and Condoleeza and me. I don't think they went to school.) P.P.S. Please see below if you are I Like The View, Malc or Doris.

To Make You Laugh and Cry

I was listening to this on a Sunday, the very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither is a Catholic, Tom Lehrer is one of my all-time heroes and this is one of his best.............no other reasons. On a more sombre note (and with thanks to Fish for coming up with this Woman's-Own-passes-the-time-in-the-dentist's-waiting-room nonsense), why not get a computer to tell you that you are a waste of space and your life is a sham of a mockery of a farce? Ok, it's from one of those poxy dating sites but...go on, take the test. You ain't got much to beat!!
This Is My Life, Rated
Life: 4.2
Mind: 4.1
Body: 2.7
Spirit: 8
Friends/Family: 1.6
Love: 0
Finance: 5.9
Take the Rate My Life Quiz
Apparently, in my case, "computer say 'no!'"

I First Saw This When I Was Little - And Loved It! I Hope That Explains a Few Things

Fuck, Fuckety, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck

It has been pointed out to me that, particularly for one whose profession is supposedly literary, my language is getting worse. My use of the "F" word is, I am told, far too prevalent and hence loses impact. To those who share this view I suggest you watch the following:

Tony Blair Isn't a Burglar - But If He Was.........

In the spirit of Gustav Holst's Jupiter and Manfred Mann's Earth Band, I feel like raising a smile today. The Big Green Thing alerted me to this and, for no other reason than to raise a smile on an otherwise crap Wednesday, I think it has to be shared. Grantham shall not have him - when he gets out of prison.

Life On The Edge - No Net.

I was wrong when I feared it might be a dull weekend, what with my pals being away, my soon-to-be ex-wife in rehab and only the dogs to play with. How wrong can a man be? This much fun must surely be illegal? Just click to see the japes and hoots I am having! Click again to see how things got REALLy exciting! Tomorrow we're going to chase pigeons.

The Good Old U.S. of A. - Guardians of Freedom and Democracy. Nothing to Be Scared of, Then?

Be honest........

IT'S THE QUIZ OF THE WEEK! JUST SCROLL DOWN AND HIT "FULL QUIZ".