**********************************************************WHY GRANTHAM? JUST CLICK:
TEXT **********************************************************

Sunday 23 March 2008

The Reluctant Diner


"Nine! Fucking nine!!! Come off it Kev, a fish course without tarragon is social death!!!"


I have been sitting on the settee for three days now, staring in silence and disbelief at the text. You see, I got a letter on Thursday.

It was in among the usual pile of delivery pizza menus, statements (of the bleedin' obvious) from Lloyds Bank and flyers offering a "once in a lifetime opportunity" which I would, apparently, have to be the victim of a cruel medical experiment to ignore.
The letter was from Granada Television - Factual Programming. Series producer Ms Genevieve (I fucking kid you not) Welch wrote:

"We are making a new, prime-time series of the hit TV show "Come Dine With Me" for Channel 4 and we are looking for people in your area to take part.
"We have specifically sent YOU this letter (that would kinda explain the address on the envelope an' all!) as we believe you could be just the sort of person we are looking for."

I don't know if you've ever caught an episode of this "hit" (the "s" evidently doesn't work on Ms Welch's keyboard!) show but it follows the fascinating exploits of a herd of about half a dozen social rejects who take it in turns to throw a dinner party at their grief hole for their fellow retards. Said diners award points for each host's efforts and the winner at the end of the week is given £1,000, presumably to by a one-way ticket to somewhere far away or to pay for a personality implant.

"All right, Nigel. So we've established that you're not overly keen on asparagus!"


You would have thought that with the wankiest idea for a wanky programme in the history of wanking that they couldn't possibly make it any wankier but inviting Pither to take part is truly ratcheting up the wankometer to an unimaginable degree!

First of all, anybody who ever refers to me as a "sort of person" invariably finds themselves shortly afterwards picking up their teeth with a broken arm! I am NOT "a sort", gottit, Gene-fucking-vieve??
Secondly, and anyway, do you honestly fucking think that a borderline alcoholic, neo-Trotskyite, nihilist, anarchist revolutionary is really "the sort" of person who is a regular on the "dinner party" circuit? The whole "dinner party" concept fills me with revulsion! The word "twee" just doesn't come close enough. Dinner parties are the oily, grinning uncles of that family which counts "Baby On Board" stickers, "family" cars, "his" and "hers" anoraks, fondue sets, badminton and bottled water among its number. Scamming food off mates and finishing off their cooking sherry - yes! Dinner parties - NO!!

Then we come to the basic - I use the word advisedly - elements of this televisual finger-down-the-throat. A bunch of people I would normally mount the pavement to run down descend on Pither Towers to film me cooking dinner. How fucking exciting is that? What next? International Shed-Painting Live from Luxembourg? Laundry Challenge? Pro-Celebrity Shitting? Knocking a Round Off With Chaz and Dave?

I don't know about you but I do happen to love cooking - but the way I do it is not suited to soft-focus, informative programming. The wine is usually cracked open before I've even emptied the Iceland carrier bags. I've been so banjaxed in the past that when it's come time to dish up I have carried the plates through into the cloakroom and been found shouting "Someone put the fucking lights on fer Chrissake!" Also, I really don't think that when Gene-bloody-vieve enquires what gastronomic delight I have come up with she will want to hear the slurred retort "Dunno, fucking label's fallen off the tin!" Likewise, I think she will expect more than everyone noshing Alphabetispaghetti on trays in the lounge while we all sit around watching The Street.

As for going round to the home of a complete stranger for me dinner every night for a week - what am I, in foster care? Besides, I know what I'd end up with each time. Some prettily arranged, pate of ponce's pricks which is to satiation what Bonsai is to the lumber industry.

No, I don't think I'll be giving Genevieve a bell. Dinner parties - and Come Dine With Me - can go to Grantham.

5 comments:

Malcolm Cinnamond said...

A sadly wasted opportunity, I fear. The first step to reality TV stardom. I really think the world is ready for Pither the Z list celeb. It worked for Jade Goody - up to a point.

Anonymous said...

I think "Come Dine With Me" at Pither Towers could actually make classic television, a bit like that baby elephant that pissed on John Noakes or Rod Hull falling off his roof on Parkinson. Just invite the right guests (including, if you're really stuck, me), get 'em all round to your place at 3-15 AM on a Saturday after a shedload with your missus and then let the dogs in just as the pizzas are delivered. Now THAT'S real entertainment.

BGT

Vicus Scurra said...

Oh fuck it, Pither, I was looking forward to your dinner party.

Anonymous said...

Oh god how you would have fitted in with some previous contestants,
Rachel Tohoher Rudd
Nicola Noblet
Forbes Robinson
John Santamaria
Margaret Twemlow
Patsy Sewell Mwamaba
James Gamme and this cunt must have changed his name Dave Cook

Gave dishes a thought as well

Crap Suzette, from your extensive german art house collection.
King Scallops in orange batter
Cock au reisling, that was the time you tried to use your tadge as corkscrew

and

gallinha com molho Bahiano
The microsoft transalator says its something to do with interspecies sex in mexico,, riba a riba yeha.

The Farmer

P.s. can I come on it wuth you.

Lou Lou said...

lmao

that show is tragic but i love it
they're so nasty to each other

WEDNESDAY, 21 NOVEMBER 2007

SHORTS DON'T MATTER! 1. From the greatest programme ever made about association football, Barnstoneworth United FC manager Mr Dainty delivers one of the finest English soliloqiues of all time.......and afterwards, spare a thought for the club steward's wife Vera (YOU ONLY HAVE TO WATCH HALF OF THE CLIP!!).

Monday, 12 November 2007

Not everyone who agonises over their life is a painter. Some of us agonise because we're NOT painters.

....And On the Subject of Great Public Services

I know most of you have heard this marvellous song by those doctors who are the Amateur Transplants......but I think the video is a nice addition. P.S. If there are kids in the room I'd shuffle them out before hitting play.

...There's More

On the subject of those great doctors, here is their version of More Than Words which presents their challenging views on women outside Watford. The very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither, coming from Cumbria, is a huge fan. Again, get those kids out of the room!

Leave Britney Alone, Ok!!!

Oh...........my............God!!!!! My heartfelt thanks go to BGT for this. I won't say much more, I don't need to. Mr Loony of Loonytown, USA (I think it's a bloke, anyway), says it all. I fear he may be wound too tight for.....well.....well for everywhere, really!

Tuesday, 18 September 2007.

I wish I'd sung this! For non-Americans, and with apologies to all the smart arses out there who already knew, the FCC is the Federal Communications Commission and it monitors TV and radio output in the States - a sort of broadcast police - while the EPA is the Yanks' so-called Environmental Protection Agency, a body which does exactly the opposite of what it says on the can. (P.S. We went to the same school, you know? Eric and me, that is, not George, Martha, Dick and Condoleeza and me. I don't think they went to school.) P.P.S. Please see below if you are I Like The View, Malc or Doris.

To Make You Laugh and Cry

I was listening to this on a Sunday, the very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither is a Catholic, Tom Lehrer is one of my all-time heroes and this is one of his best.............no other reasons. On a more sombre note (and with thanks to Fish for coming up with this Woman's-Own-passes-the-time-in-the-dentist's-waiting-room nonsense), why not get a computer to tell you that you are a waste of space and your life is a sham of a mockery of a farce? Ok, it's from one of those poxy dating sites but...go on, take the test. You ain't got much to beat!!
This Is My Life, Rated
Life: 4.2
Mind: 4.1
Body: 2.7
Spirit: 8
Friends/Family: 1.6
Love: 0
Finance: 5.9
Take the Rate My Life Quiz
Apparently, in my case, "computer say 'no!'"

I First Saw This When I Was Little - And Loved It! I Hope That Explains a Few Things

Fuck, Fuckety, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck

It has been pointed out to me that, particularly for one whose profession is supposedly literary, my language is getting worse. My use of the "F" word is, I am told, far too prevalent and hence loses impact. To those who share this view I suggest you watch the following:

Tony Blair Isn't a Burglar - But If He Was.........

In the spirit of Gustav Holst's Jupiter and Manfred Mann's Earth Band, I feel like raising a smile today. The Big Green Thing alerted me to this and, for no other reason than to raise a smile on an otherwise crap Wednesday, I think it has to be shared. Grantham shall not have him - when he gets out of prison.

Life On The Edge - No Net.

I was wrong when I feared it might be a dull weekend, what with my pals being away, my soon-to-be ex-wife in rehab and only the dogs to play with. How wrong can a man be? This much fun must surely be illegal? Just click to see the japes and hoots I am having! Click again to see how things got REALLy exciting! Tomorrow we're going to chase pigeons.

The Good Old U.S. of A. - Guardians of Freedom and Democracy. Nothing to Be Scared of, Then?

Be honest........

IT'S THE QUIZ OF THE WEEK! JUST SCROLL DOWN AND HIT "FULL QUIZ".