**********************************************************WHY GRANTHAM? JUST CLICK:
TEXT **********************************************************

Sunday 20 July 2008

The Cow and Coffee Morning


......Hang on a second...... Just bare with me....... Be with you in a mo. I'm just filling in my entry form.

I mean, let's face it, this is a chance not to be missed. After all, here is Pither, in desperate need of a costly dental revamp, crying out for expensive hair implants, longing for a gastric clamp to reduce his rotundity, with a house which needs thousands spending on it so it will at last be distinguishable from No. 73, Baghdad High Street, Iraq, but he would obviously tear up that wish list if he could just have................a year's supply of ketchup!


What a wank-wankety-wank-wank offer!! Who in the Holy name of Christ would want a fucking year's supply of ketchup? Besides anything else, in my case it would constitute ONE bottle. For the lardarses out there, where the fuck would you put it all?


Why are you banging on about ketchup, Reg, I don't hear anyone ask? Well, it's by way of explaining where I've been for the last few months. Confused? Bare with me again and let me explain.


In short, I have been working my mammary glands off at a new job - I think I mentioned I had finally swapped self-employment for PAYE again? Anyway, the job is with a daily paper. So far so good. They are a jolly nice bunch. Hurrah! The only drawback is the paper covers an area of the country which makes Siberia look heavily industrialised. It is what you might call........rural. Pither is used to the smoke and grime of the conurbations. He's used to murder, rape, explosions, death and darts. Where there's muck there's much to write about for a journo. My latest posting is, however, forcing me to lower my sights somewhat. I shall, henceforth, refer to the paper as The Cow and Coffee Morning.


Surprisingly, covering fuck all involves an awful lot of time and effort. I mean, those "bird found in tree" and "Women's Institute tea cup drama" stories don't write themselves. Consequently, I found myself working yet again yesterday and picking up the evening edition I realised just how silly my life has become.


The once in a lifetime, fabulous ketchup offer was trumpeted in a hamper on last night's front page, alongside the masthead. I was so tired and disillusioned I decided to actually read the bloody thing for once - (in reply to a previous editor who once asked "Pither, don't you ever read your own paper?" I replied "Of course I bloody don't! Do you?") - and so I present a few snippets to let you know just how near the cutting edge of journalism I am these days.


How about this? This, would you believe, is an entry on the letters page. It is my particular favourite. Does this give you any idea just how much there is to do on the patch and the calibre of reader?

This little item was a review. I think it not only says a lot about what a night in reading the paper is all about, it also says a bit about the standards of journalism around. If you read a review you want to get an overall impression, yeah? How are you supposed to come down one way or the other with this? Fence-sitting seems to be the order of the day.

Then there's this. I think it illustrates quite well that things are not done on a grand scale "round these 'ere paaarts". Hyperstore it ain't!

I include this merely to give you an idea about what the average reader looks like. I believe one of these two has won a dog show - sadly, the caption does not make clear which.
And finally, this was the strap along the bottom of yesterday's front page. Doesn't it just make the ketchup offer pale into insignificance? I can't wait.

So, there you have it. I shall keep you posted - literally - from now on. In the meantime, many thanks to all those kind types out there who have asked after me during my absence - notably BW, Ginni and Brad. Thanks again.
Nothing is more deserving of a trip to Grantham than this newspaper but, then again, if I send it I will be out of a job. It will have to stay out but......well, you know.

5 comments:

Brad said...

Yeah well, it was getting to be like sniffing for the corpse around here - Go pay fiwa some love we nearly lost her.

Gin said...

Well, hush my mouth! There you are!!! It was such a nice surprise to check your blog (for the 106th time since you posted last) and find a new post. It's really good to hear from you and what a laugh I got out of your vivid description of your new paper. I'm envisioning you having a co-worker...a "reporter" name Rose (Nosy Rose to everyone else)... who calls up the neighbors to see if they have any news for the paper...like did Aunt Tessie make it home okay after her visit and did her phlebitis flare up on the trip...or did Farmer Frank's old cow have her calf yet. I knew Rose in another life!

Reg, if anyone can handle this sort of newspaper, you can. I'm sure you add your luster to whatever you write! And just know, it's good to have a bit of your luster back in our lives! We missed you!

XOXOX (My little Rosie says HI and sends a little doggie hug!)

Anonymous said...

well worth the wait. At least your working for a light hearted paper and not a wolverine (weasel) one. please don't take so long too write your next page of fun. your mate John.

Malcolm Cinnamond said...

It could be worse. I was turned down for jobs on The Cow and Coffee Morning. . . seven times.

fiwa said...

You should start trying to slip things into the articles you write - see if anyone notices.

Hey, it's a job and it brings in money. At least your coworkers are a good bunch. I don't know anyone who feels particularly stimulated by their job. A job is a job is a job. They all suck, don't they?

Glad to hear you are alive and well. Good luck on that ketchup.

fiwa

WEDNESDAY, 21 NOVEMBER 2007

SHORTS DON'T MATTER! 1. From the greatest programme ever made about association football, Barnstoneworth United FC manager Mr Dainty delivers one of the finest English soliloqiues of all time.......and afterwards, spare a thought for the club steward's wife Vera (YOU ONLY HAVE TO WATCH HALF OF THE CLIP!!).

Monday, 12 November 2007

Not everyone who agonises over their life is a painter. Some of us agonise because we're NOT painters.

....And On the Subject of Great Public Services

I know most of you have heard this marvellous song by those doctors who are the Amateur Transplants......but I think the video is a nice addition. P.S. If there are kids in the room I'd shuffle them out before hitting play.

...There's More

On the subject of those great doctors, here is their version of More Than Words which presents their challenging views on women outside Watford. The very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither, coming from Cumbria, is a huge fan. Again, get those kids out of the room!

Leave Britney Alone, Ok!!!

Oh...........my............God!!!!! My heartfelt thanks go to BGT for this. I won't say much more, I don't need to. Mr Loony of Loonytown, USA (I think it's a bloke, anyway), says it all. I fear he may be wound too tight for.....well.....well for everywhere, really!

Tuesday, 18 September 2007.

I wish I'd sung this! For non-Americans, and with apologies to all the smart arses out there who already knew, the FCC is the Federal Communications Commission and it monitors TV and radio output in the States - a sort of broadcast police - while the EPA is the Yanks' so-called Environmental Protection Agency, a body which does exactly the opposite of what it says on the can. (P.S. We went to the same school, you know? Eric and me, that is, not George, Martha, Dick and Condoleeza and me. I don't think they went to school.) P.P.S. Please see below if you are I Like The View, Malc or Doris.

To Make You Laugh and Cry

I was listening to this on a Sunday, the very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither is a Catholic, Tom Lehrer is one of my all-time heroes and this is one of his best.............no other reasons. On a more sombre note (and with thanks to Fish for coming up with this Woman's-Own-passes-the-time-in-the-dentist's-waiting-room nonsense), why not get a computer to tell you that you are a waste of space and your life is a sham of a mockery of a farce? Ok, it's from one of those poxy dating sites but...go on, take the test. You ain't got much to beat!!
This Is My Life, Rated
Life: 4.2
Mind: 4.1
Body: 2.7
Spirit: 8
Friends/Family: 1.6
Love: 0
Finance: 5.9
Take the Rate My Life Quiz
Apparently, in my case, "computer say 'no!'"

I First Saw This When I Was Little - And Loved It! I Hope That Explains a Few Things

Fuck, Fuckety, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck

It has been pointed out to me that, particularly for one whose profession is supposedly literary, my language is getting worse. My use of the "F" word is, I am told, far too prevalent and hence loses impact. To those who share this view I suggest you watch the following:

Tony Blair Isn't a Burglar - But If He Was.........

In the spirit of Gustav Holst's Jupiter and Manfred Mann's Earth Band, I feel like raising a smile today. The Big Green Thing alerted me to this and, for no other reason than to raise a smile on an otherwise crap Wednesday, I think it has to be shared. Grantham shall not have him - when he gets out of prison.

Life On The Edge - No Net.

I was wrong when I feared it might be a dull weekend, what with my pals being away, my soon-to-be ex-wife in rehab and only the dogs to play with. How wrong can a man be? This much fun must surely be illegal? Just click to see the japes and hoots I am having! Click again to see how things got REALLy exciting! Tomorrow we're going to chase pigeons.

The Good Old U.S. of A. - Guardians of Freedom and Democracy. Nothing to Be Scared of, Then?

Be honest........

IT'S THE QUIZ OF THE WEEK! JUST SCROLL DOWN AND HIT "FULL QUIZ".