**********************************************************WHY GRANTHAM? JUST CLICK:
TEXT **********************************************************

Friday 15 December 2006

Gizza Job.


I have been to Big Town today (doffs cloth cap, adjusts gaiters, shuffles straw to other side of mouth). I went for a job interview, well an interview at an agency to be precise - I don't think it went too well.
I didn't really want to sign up with this bunch but I felt compelled to as there is apparently something in the smallprint of my mortgage whereby if I don't bung the building society some money every month they repossess my house.
Anyway, I had arranged to meet a fluffy from the firm's Human Resources department. Do you remember when it used to be "personnel" i.e, appertaining to people, as opposed to "resources" which are there to be used up and then dumped? The interview was scheduled for 11am _ note, pronounced "shedule" and not "skedule" as pronounced by the fluffy and our trans-Atlantic cousins.
I arrived at the company's offices at 10.55am and, after noticing how mega-plush they were (a sure sign that the firm regarded buildings as "a good investment" and employees as "a drain on profits"), I was shown into the interview room bang on 11am. Sadly, the HR fluffy didn't show until 11.15am. Well, after all, that's understandable. I had had to travel 16 miles for the meeting but she had had to walk from her office next door. There were bound to be roadworks in the corridor! Below, to the best of my recollection, is a transcript of the salient parts of the encounter:
Fluffy: Good morning!
Reg: Evening (ouch!).
Fluffy: So, what skills do you possess?
Reg: I'm a journalist! Would you ask a coat hanger what its main skill was?
Fluffy: Urm, well, what would you say your strong points were?
Reg: I find things out and then write about them. Oh, and I've got good teeth.
Fluffy: Oh, right, but what skills do you possess in particular?
Reg: I can read and write a bit - urm, and, oh, yes, and type and do shorthand. Oh, and I do a passable Tony Blair impression.
Fluffy. What impact did you have on your last employer?
Reg: I never hit him once. I swore a few times and threatened to make him wear his arse for a hat but there were no actual fisticuffs.
Fluffy: No, I mean what IMPACT did you have?
Reg: Well, to the best of my knowledge, they're still in business. I'm not sure that they've scaled the heights of the FTSE since, though.
Fluffy: Let's put it this way, if you hadn't been there what would the difference have been in the end product?
Reg: There would have been blank spaces in the paper?
Fluffy: Moving on, what is your immediate goal?
Reg: To wake up in the morning.
Fluffy: No, I mean career-wise?
Reg: To wake up in the morning, win the Lottery and then pay some fuckwit to do my job.
Fluffy: What kinds of employers would you be willing to work for?
Reg: Ones that pay me.
Fluffy: No, well, urm, put it this way, what kinds of employers wouldn't you want to work for?
Reg: The Nazis?
Fluffy: Do you have a degree certificate?
Reg: Yes.
Fluffy: What in?
Reg: My briefcase.
Fluffy: No, no, I meant.......never mind. Can I see it?
Reg: Yes.
Fluffy: Well?
Reg: It's by my foot. The black, leather thing with the handle.
Fluffy: No, I meant the certificate.
Reg: Oh.
Fluffy: What salary would you be expecting?
Reg: As much as I could cream out of them.
Fluffy: Are you prepared to relocate?
Reg: No, this chair is fine, thanks.
Fluffy: You're not taking this seriously, are you?
Reg: You started it.
Fluffy: I mean, let's say, are you married?
Reg: Hell, that's a bit sudden. Let's get the interview out of the way first.
Fluffy: It's just that if you're single it is easier to relocate.
Reg: Well, as it happens, I'm separated - but I still don't want to sit over there.
Fluffy: I think we've covered everything for now.
Reg: Michelangelo said that when he'd got the primer down on the ceiling of the Cistine Chapel.
Fluffy: You really aren't interested in joining us, are you? Is there anything you want to ask me?
Reg: Oh God, loads. None of it to do with work. In the meantime, have you actually got any jobs for me here at all (would she know Python's cheese shop sketch?).
Fluffy. Not at the moment.
Reg: (She might just know it.) You haven't? Well when then?
Fluffy: Well, I'm on holiday after today. Some time in the New Year?
Reg: (Too much to expect she would have known it. Better leave the "then I'm afraid I'm going to have to shoot you" reply). Certainly put my mind at rest on one or two things there.
Fluffy: Ciao. Miss you already.
Reg: Fuck off.

She said she would ring me soon. I said I thought she might just be lying!
Human resources! Urgh! Get rid of them. Off to Grantham you go.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Mr Pithers

The issues you raise have been duly noted and will be subject to an internal investigation by our Complaints Unit Network Team (C.U.N.T for short). The usual procedure is to hide the complaint in the basement for several years, dig it up bury it again, fire it off in a rocket and in about 2000 years act/ignore on its reccomendations.

We do take all complaints very seriously, however don't contact us at C.U.N.T, ever again.

Yours Ethel Noss
Former KGB operative

Barry Lawrence said...

Thanks Ethel. Good luck in prison.

WEDNESDAY, 21 NOVEMBER 2007

SHORTS DON'T MATTER! 1. From the greatest programme ever made about association football, Barnstoneworth United FC manager Mr Dainty delivers one of the finest English soliloqiues of all time.......and afterwards, spare a thought for the club steward's wife Vera (YOU ONLY HAVE TO WATCH HALF OF THE CLIP!!).

Monday, 12 November 2007

Not everyone who agonises over their life is a painter. Some of us agonise because we're NOT painters.

....And On the Subject of Great Public Services

I know most of you have heard this marvellous song by those doctors who are the Amateur Transplants......but I think the video is a nice addition. P.S. If there are kids in the room I'd shuffle them out before hitting play.

...There's More

On the subject of those great doctors, here is their version of More Than Words which presents their challenging views on women outside Watford. The very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither, coming from Cumbria, is a huge fan. Again, get those kids out of the room!

Leave Britney Alone, Ok!!!

Oh...........my............God!!!!! My heartfelt thanks go to BGT for this. I won't say much more, I don't need to. Mr Loony of Loonytown, USA (I think it's a bloke, anyway), says it all. I fear he may be wound too tight for.....well.....well for everywhere, really!

Tuesday, 18 September 2007.

I wish I'd sung this! For non-Americans, and with apologies to all the smart arses out there who already knew, the FCC is the Federal Communications Commission and it monitors TV and radio output in the States - a sort of broadcast police - while the EPA is the Yanks' so-called Environmental Protection Agency, a body which does exactly the opposite of what it says on the can. (P.S. We went to the same school, you know? Eric and me, that is, not George, Martha, Dick and Condoleeza and me. I don't think they went to school.) P.P.S. Please see below if you are I Like The View, Malc or Doris.

To Make You Laugh and Cry

I was listening to this on a Sunday, the very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither is a Catholic, Tom Lehrer is one of my all-time heroes and this is one of his best.............no other reasons. On a more sombre note (and with thanks to Fish for coming up with this Woman's-Own-passes-the-time-in-the-dentist's-waiting-room nonsense), why not get a computer to tell you that you are a waste of space and your life is a sham of a mockery of a farce? Ok, it's from one of those poxy dating sites but...go on, take the test. You ain't got much to beat!!
This Is My Life, Rated
Life: 4.2
Mind: 4.1
Body: 2.7
Spirit: 8
Friends/Family: 1.6
Love: 0
Finance: 5.9
Take the Rate My Life Quiz
Apparently, in my case, "computer say 'no!'"

I First Saw This When I Was Little - And Loved It! I Hope That Explains a Few Things

Fuck, Fuckety, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck

It has been pointed out to me that, particularly for one whose profession is supposedly literary, my language is getting worse. My use of the "F" word is, I am told, far too prevalent and hence loses impact. To those who share this view I suggest you watch the following:

Tony Blair Isn't a Burglar - But If He Was.........

In the spirit of Gustav Holst's Jupiter and Manfred Mann's Earth Band, I feel like raising a smile today. The Big Green Thing alerted me to this and, for no other reason than to raise a smile on an otherwise crap Wednesday, I think it has to be shared. Grantham shall not have him - when he gets out of prison.

Life On The Edge - No Net.

I was wrong when I feared it might be a dull weekend, what with my pals being away, my soon-to-be ex-wife in rehab and only the dogs to play with. How wrong can a man be? This much fun must surely be illegal? Just click to see the japes and hoots I am having! Click again to see how things got REALLy exciting! Tomorrow we're going to chase pigeons.

The Good Old U.S. of A. - Guardians of Freedom and Democracy. Nothing to Be Scared of, Then?

Be honest........

IT'S THE QUIZ OF THE WEEK! JUST SCROLL DOWN AND HIT "FULL QUIZ".