**********************************************************WHY GRANTHAM? JUST CLICK:
TEXT **********************************************************

Wednesday 13 December 2006

Tabloid Tales.


I have been, to say the least, somewhat under the weather lately - hence the absence of posts - but musings on my profession have generated sufficient adrenalin to drag me back into the real world.
Two news stories have broken nationwide in the last few days, both of which have left me bracing myself for what is to come here in the good old UK of A in the newspapers (and hence on the TV news as all the camera-loving fluffies do is read out the papers on air anyway).
Christmas is normally a completely dead time in newspapers so hacks are asked to write about absolutely anything NOW (what they did on their summer holidays, my granny's recipe for seedcake etc) and stockpile it. These bits of crap are stored centrally, usually in computer baskets called "Christmas Specials", "Festive Extras" or something similar, and then dribbled out a bit at a time over the Christmas period to fill what would otherwise be gaping holes because nothing is happening.
Well, Father Newsmas has dropped two big stories in the hacks' laps over the last few days to keep them happy over the festive period, and beyond.
The first, and you will forgive me if I find little or no humour in it, is that a psychopath is going around the Ipswich area murdering women - three confirmed victims to date and two more suspected. It is the predictability of the coverage of these awful events which leaves me wanting to bite my own foot off. The Press has already achieved its primary goal which is to dismiss the poor victims - "Well, they'me just prozzies, ain't they?". That done, they are now free to concentrate on the nutter himself and give him (I am obviously making an assumption here) the infamy and lofty standing in the annals of criminology he so desperately craves instead of dismissing him as a fuckwit, inadequate, pathetic, no-mark, evil, little cunt. There is just one element missing from the coverage to date which both the hacks and the murderer need, in fact insist on. Got it yet? Yes, a cliched nickname for the bastard! I am not even going to suggest the sort of names I bet you are already being considered - it is too sick - but just you wait. A nickname will come, it has to.
The second news item to keep the presses rolling comes in two parts. Part one is that the final report into the death of Di (you know, O-Level in shopping, bad choice in men, worse choice in taxi drivers) is due out tomorrow. That should make interesting reading. How on earth did she die? Well, having established the fact that she got driven home in the dead of night at 200 mph by a driver who was pissed out of his mind, I would have thought the final chapter was pretty easy to write! The second part of the seemingly never ending Di story is that next year is the tenth anniversary of her death and the little princes are organising a concert to mark the event. Fuck! Pages and pages and pages and pages AGAIN devoted to "England's Rose", to "Did She Hump so Was She Hushed?" and to "The Day the Muesli Died". That is bad enough but there is even worse to come. It is rumoured that Elton John, despite having previously vowed not to, will again play his tribute to Di - "Candle in My Arse", or whatever it's called. Oh my dear God! Save us. Didn't the woman suffer enough. It can't be our turn again already, can it?
All this was appearing in the papers at a time when I spotted two paragraphs - yes, just two pars! - in a tabloid which said that a British soldier had been killed in fighting with Taliban militia in Afghanistan. Remember Afghanistan? The place the Yanks and us invaded but where everything is hunky dory now because the Taliban was defeated and it's not a fuck-up like Iraq?
Can't Grantham's news pages be stuffed with Di "news" and leave us with coverage of the important stuff.
FOOTNOTE: A MERE TWO DAYS AFTER THIS WAS POSTED HER MAJESTY'S PRESS DUBBED THE IPSWICH NUTJOB "THE SUFFOLK STRANGLER".

No comments:

WEDNESDAY, 21 NOVEMBER 2007

SHORTS DON'T MATTER! 1. From the greatest programme ever made about association football, Barnstoneworth United FC manager Mr Dainty delivers one of the finest English soliloqiues of all time.......and afterwards, spare a thought for the club steward's wife Vera (YOU ONLY HAVE TO WATCH HALF OF THE CLIP!!).

Monday, 12 November 2007

Not everyone who agonises over their life is a painter. Some of us agonise because we're NOT painters.

....And On the Subject of Great Public Services

I know most of you have heard this marvellous song by those doctors who are the Amateur Transplants......but I think the video is a nice addition. P.S. If there are kids in the room I'd shuffle them out before hitting play.

...There's More

On the subject of those great doctors, here is their version of More Than Words which presents their challenging views on women outside Watford. The very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither, coming from Cumbria, is a huge fan. Again, get those kids out of the room!

Leave Britney Alone, Ok!!!

Oh...........my............God!!!!! My heartfelt thanks go to BGT for this. I won't say much more, I don't need to. Mr Loony of Loonytown, USA (I think it's a bloke, anyway), says it all. I fear he may be wound too tight for.....well.....well for everywhere, really!

Tuesday, 18 September 2007.

I wish I'd sung this! For non-Americans, and with apologies to all the smart arses out there who already knew, the FCC is the Federal Communications Commission and it monitors TV and radio output in the States - a sort of broadcast police - while the EPA is the Yanks' so-called Environmental Protection Agency, a body which does exactly the opposite of what it says on the can. (P.S. We went to the same school, you know? Eric and me, that is, not George, Martha, Dick and Condoleeza and me. I don't think they went to school.) P.P.S. Please see below if you are I Like The View, Malc or Doris.

To Make You Laugh and Cry

I was listening to this on a Sunday, the very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither is a Catholic, Tom Lehrer is one of my all-time heroes and this is one of his best.............no other reasons. On a more sombre note (and with thanks to Fish for coming up with this Woman's-Own-passes-the-time-in-the-dentist's-waiting-room nonsense), why not get a computer to tell you that you are a waste of space and your life is a sham of a mockery of a farce? Ok, it's from one of those poxy dating sites but...go on, take the test. You ain't got much to beat!!
This Is My Life, Rated
Life: 4.2
Mind: 4.1
Body: 2.7
Spirit: 8
Friends/Family: 1.6
Love: 0
Finance: 5.9
Take the Rate My Life Quiz
Apparently, in my case, "computer say 'no!'"

I First Saw This When I Was Little - And Loved It! I Hope That Explains a Few Things

Fuck, Fuckety, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck

It has been pointed out to me that, particularly for one whose profession is supposedly literary, my language is getting worse. My use of the "F" word is, I am told, far too prevalent and hence loses impact. To those who share this view I suggest you watch the following:

Tony Blair Isn't a Burglar - But If He Was.........

In the spirit of Gustav Holst's Jupiter and Manfred Mann's Earth Band, I feel like raising a smile today. The Big Green Thing alerted me to this and, for no other reason than to raise a smile on an otherwise crap Wednesday, I think it has to be shared. Grantham shall not have him - when he gets out of prison.

Life On The Edge - No Net.

I was wrong when I feared it might be a dull weekend, what with my pals being away, my soon-to-be ex-wife in rehab and only the dogs to play with. How wrong can a man be? This much fun must surely be illegal? Just click to see the japes and hoots I am having! Click again to see how things got REALLy exciting! Tomorrow we're going to chase pigeons.

The Good Old U.S. of A. - Guardians of Freedom and Democracy. Nothing to Be Scared of, Then?

Be honest........

IT'S THE QUIZ OF THE WEEK! JUST SCROLL DOWN AND HIT "FULL QUIZ".