**********************************************************WHY GRANTHAM? JUST CLICK:
TEXT **********************************************************

Saturday 21 July 2007

THINGS 'n' STUFF


Right, that's got your attention, now to the serious stuff!
Why do THEY have to keep tinkering with THINGS?
Nothing's ever good enough for THEM. You can't just have A THING. It always has to be A NEW THING - an updated, overhauled, revamped and supposedly "better than ever" THING.
I'm not dense. I am fully aware of the fact that bringing out a supposedly "new and improved" THING is the capitalists' way of trying to shame the weak of brain and will into buying that new THING to replace the perfectly good and functional THING they already have, just so that they can keep up with the neighbours. Just ask any parent of a brat who claims to support a football team and wants a replica shirt which is not going to make him die of embarrassment in the playground!
I would be quite content to just leave consumerism and materialism to the Heat magazine generation but unfortunately THEY now manage to reach into my home and tinker with THINGS I already have and with which I am quite content.
Take blogging, for instance. Writers' block is a big enough obstacle to overcome as it is but then THEY went and firked around with the system and bollocksed it up by introducing a "new, improved" Blogger system! I didn't ask for it.
I was quite happy with the old system, thank you very much. I mean, I don't go round to THEIR house unannounced and redecorate THEIR lounge or knock through THEIR walls to make a kitchen-diner, do I?
It's probably just me, obviously, but the updated version seems to make it harder and more irritating to blog than before. The "new, improved" Blogger promises to automatically save your postings - not mine it doesn't! Each time you fill in the word verification nonsense and then hit "publish post" it shows an error and makes you repeat the whole process - well, with me it does. The "new, improved" system also seems to have a cyber censorship/critique facility built in. Many is the time I have been two thirds of the way through writing something, something which is obviously of great importance and value to society, when Blogger apparently decides it is shite and the whole lot just disappears off screen, never to be seen again!
Then there is my broadband supplier. I used to be reliant on those Nazis at Telewest. Ok, THEY kicked me offline every so often for no reason, but I could handle it. Then THEY got taken over by the Grand Wizards of Fuckuppertry, Virgin (aka Virgin Media).
Now I get lobbed off more times than a 14-year-old boy's knob! THEY have also taken over my telly and the whole system freezes whenever it feels like it, forcing me to switch everything off and then power up again to get normal service resumed. Whoever thought that a bunch of dickheads who are completely incapable of making choo-choo trains run along rigid tracks regularly and on time would be able to operate an integrated system of high-speed, cyber connections and co-ordinated cable television services must be a suitable case for treatment.
No, THEY can all go to Grantham and THEY can take their THINGS with them!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Reg

We have been monitoring what you watch on TV and your downloads and our profile show you are 75 year old cross dresser from croydon with an unhealthy interest in chilli nuts, and to protect my staff from this corruption I switch off your service myself.

Love Richard Branson (sir)

ps watch u doing tonight

pps Might be a good idea to phone em up as, we do have a highly trained bunch of chimps who will pop round within 3-4 months and make it a lot worse.

Anonymous said...

more scary than the lady with the big bazookas

http://www.femskin.com/

Barry Lawrence said...

Dear Dick,

I strongly object to your profile of me - I'm only 46!

Dear Anon,

Oh, dear God! Truly lord, protect me from this evil!
Looks like Ed Gein has gone into the high street clothing business.

Arabella said...

1. That poor woman.
2. That 'Anonymous' is funny. I'd watch 'im if I were you. And yes. I'm certain it's a him.
3. I'm afeared to go to the link. I haven't had my pudding yet.
And
4. Annoying isn't it. Here in America when something is changed arse over tit by someone trying to make more money/do less work it's described as "for your convenience". Right.
5. I'm hovering between Jimmy Saville and Andi McDowell. There's an awful thought.

Malcolm Cinnamond said...

And isn't it annoying when a TV show is billed as 'all new' Friends/Ugly Betty/Brideshead Revisited, when it's really just the second run with the same old tired jokes and plot lines reworked.
Barfoot gets my vote.

Malcolm Cinnamond said...

. . . and Anonymous is definitely a guy. Women don't joke about chimps.

WEDNESDAY, 21 NOVEMBER 2007

SHORTS DON'T MATTER! 1. From the greatest programme ever made about association football, Barnstoneworth United FC manager Mr Dainty delivers one of the finest English soliloqiues of all time.......and afterwards, spare a thought for the club steward's wife Vera (YOU ONLY HAVE TO WATCH HALF OF THE CLIP!!).

Monday, 12 November 2007

Not everyone who agonises over their life is a painter. Some of us agonise because we're NOT painters.

....And On the Subject of Great Public Services

I know most of you have heard this marvellous song by those doctors who are the Amateur Transplants......but I think the video is a nice addition. P.S. If there are kids in the room I'd shuffle them out before hitting play.

...There's More

On the subject of those great doctors, here is their version of More Than Words which presents their challenging views on women outside Watford. The very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither, coming from Cumbria, is a huge fan. Again, get those kids out of the room!

Leave Britney Alone, Ok!!!

Oh...........my............God!!!!! My heartfelt thanks go to BGT for this. I won't say much more, I don't need to. Mr Loony of Loonytown, USA (I think it's a bloke, anyway), says it all. I fear he may be wound too tight for.....well.....well for everywhere, really!

Tuesday, 18 September 2007.

I wish I'd sung this! For non-Americans, and with apologies to all the smart arses out there who already knew, the FCC is the Federal Communications Commission and it monitors TV and radio output in the States - a sort of broadcast police - while the EPA is the Yanks' so-called Environmental Protection Agency, a body which does exactly the opposite of what it says on the can. (P.S. We went to the same school, you know? Eric and me, that is, not George, Martha, Dick and Condoleeza and me. I don't think they went to school.) P.P.S. Please see below if you are I Like The View, Malc or Doris.

To Make You Laugh and Cry

I was listening to this on a Sunday, the very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither is a Catholic, Tom Lehrer is one of my all-time heroes and this is one of his best.............no other reasons. On a more sombre note (and with thanks to Fish for coming up with this Woman's-Own-passes-the-time-in-the-dentist's-waiting-room nonsense), why not get a computer to tell you that you are a waste of space and your life is a sham of a mockery of a farce? Ok, it's from one of those poxy dating sites but...go on, take the test. You ain't got much to beat!!
This Is My Life, Rated
Life: 4.2
Mind: 4.1
Body: 2.7
Spirit: 8
Friends/Family: 1.6
Love: 0
Finance: 5.9
Take the Rate My Life Quiz
Apparently, in my case, "computer say 'no!'"

I First Saw This When I Was Little - And Loved It! I Hope That Explains a Few Things

Fuck, Fuckety, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck

It has been pointed out to me that, particularly for one whose profession is supposedly literary, my language is getting worse. My use of the "F" word is, I am told, far too prevalent and hence loses impact. To those who share this view I suggest you watch the following:

Tony Blair Isn't a Burglar - But If He Was.........

In the spirit of Gustav Holst's Jupiter and Manfred Mann's Earth Band, I feel like raising a smile today. The Big Green Thing alerted me to this and, for no other reason than to raise a smile on an otherwise crap Wednesday, I think it has to be shared. Grantham shall not have him - when he gets out of prison.

Life On The Edge - No Net.

I was wrong when I feared it might be a dull weekend, what with my pals being away, my soon-to-be ex-wife in rehab and only the dogs to play with. How wrong can a man be? This much fun must surely be illegal? Just click to see the japes and hoots I am having! Click again to see how things got REALLy exciting! Tomorrow we're going to chase pigeons.

The Good Old U.S. of A. - Guardians of Freedom and Democracy. Nothing to Be Scared of, Then?

Be honest........

IT'S THE QUIZ OF THE WEEK! JUST SCROLL DOWN AND HIT "FULL QUIZ".