**********************************************************WHY GRANTHAM? JUST CLICK:
TEXT **********************************************************

Friday 9 May 2008

In Which Pither Contacts the Met. Office.


Who says there's nothing to do round here of a night? Not me, that's for sure!

I was treated to some random and intense excitement this evening after the Very Soon To Be Ex-Mrs Pither wandered in from the garden, tab on and empty wine bottle in hand, and said: "Something's flashing."

She promptly jettisoned her bottle, reached for a fresh one from the fridge, switched on the telly and sat down to watch Newsnight. Not another word.

That turned out to be a typical example of Mrs P's lack of enthusiasm/total indifference over matters I consider to be of burning import - like the day I asked her to marry me. We were on a paddle steamer going down the Nile. It was sunset and we were alone on the top deck. I had ordered champagne. I popped the bottle......and then the question. "Will you marry me?" I asked, staring deep into her bloodshot eyes. She squinted, trying hard to focus on me, took a swig of her fizz, considered the enormity of the situation and replied................"S'pose". Ah, the passion, the magic, the romance! Celia Johnson, wring yer knickers out!!

"Something's flashing" could have meant anything. Some vagrant in the garden exposing himself by the fish pond? A scale model of the Hindenburg tethering up by the rockery, perhaps? I had to go out to investigate and, plonking myself down on the rotting garden furniture, I waited to see what or who was flashing.
Just then, half of the sky lit up momentarily. It was so fleeting that I thought my eyes had deceived me but, a minute or so later, there it was again. A dull flash, admittedly, but definitely there, far, far away, low down and stretching across the horizon. Then another, and another, and another, each about three or four minutes apart. Totally silent but menacing all the same.

What the Hell was happening? I stood up and was about to feverishly share my excitement and incredulity with STB EW when, glancing through the patio window, I noticed she was trying to build a pyramid out of used fag packets and had reached a critical point so it was best not to disturb her.

I ran instead to my computer, Googled "Meteorological Office/Contact Us" and was on the phone quicker than you could say "I'm not a loony but I think the Martians are landing". It was a bit ambitious, I thought, expecting some weather drone to be at the office night and day, but to my surprise a little man took the call. In truth, I have no idea how tall he was. I use the word "little" in a condescending way, not an empirical one. "Hello, can I help," came the voice. I instantly pictured my little man sitting on top of the Met Office roof, surrounded by jam jars half full of rain water, home-made, knitted windsocks and piles of charts detailing average precipitation across Britain since the Crimean War.

"Hello, I'm not a loony but I think the Martians are landing," I said.

"Oh yes. And why would that be?"

"Well, there's these lights," I explained breathlessly. "They're right across the sky and they keep flashing."

"Well, they would, wouldn't they," he said mysteriously.

"Come again."

"There is a severe weather situation across South Wales at the moment. There are intense lightning storms and that's what you can see."

"Oh," I said, somewhat disappointed. "So, no landings then?"

"Sorry."

"...or global nuclear conflict?"

"Nope."

"...or time-to-build-a-boat-style atmospheric conflagration?"

"Not according to the currently available data, no."

"Oh. Well, just thought I'd ask. Nice talking to you. What's your name by the way."

"I'm not allowed to give out sensitive, personal information over the phone. Goodbye."

Phew! Well it was fun while it lasted. Ok, turns out we're not all doomed - everyone outside South Wales at any rate - but it got the old ticker racing, I can tell you.
Who says there's nothing for kids to do these days? I woke Mrs Pither from her slumbers in the armchair and put her mind at rest before retiring for the evening. She seemed relieved.

7 comments:

Brad said...

Dam. I was hoping for martians. It's been a slow week.

Mrs. P sounds charming. Don't waste any time on that front.

Malcolm Cinnamond said...

Are you absolutely sure it wasn't a burning bus in Heath Town?

Gadjo Dilo said...

Your STB EW always seems to be hanging in there, still giving the marriage a last chance in her own clumsy way - so maybe there's still hope, Reg! Or maybe she has to stick it out until her assignment for the Martians is completed. I've no idea, I've never the woman, assuming she even exists.

Barry Lawrence said...

Gadjo,
Oh, she exists all right! You just couldn't maker her up. Ask Malc.

Gadjo Dilo said...

Malc?

Vicus Scurra said...

The man at the Met centre would say that, wouldn't he? You are so gullible.

Anonymous said...

So earthling you have uncovered our invasion force, we landed in south wales, what a bunch of whinging cunts, heading back to alpha centura (local spelling)

Zaphod
xxxxx

WEDNESDAY, 21 NOVEMBER 2007

SHORTS DON'T MATTER! 1. From the greatest programme ever made about association football, Barnstoneworth United FC manager Mr Dainty delivers one of the finest English soliloqiues of all time.......and afterwards, spare a thought for the club steward's wife Vera (YOU ONLY HAVE TO WATCH HALF OF THE CLIP!!).

Monday, 12 November 2007

Not everyone who agonises over their life is a painter. Some of us agonise because we're NOT painters.

....And On the Subject of Great Public Services

I know most of you have heard this marvellous song by those doctors who are the Amateur Transplants......but I think the video is a nice addition. P.S. If there are kids in the room I'd shuffle them out before hitting play.

...There's More

On the subject of those great doctors, here is their version of More Than Words which presents their challenging views on women outside Watford. The very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither, coming from Cumbria, is a huge fan. Again, get those kids out of the room!

Leave Britney Alone, Ok!!!

Oh...........my............God!!!!! My heartfelt thanks go to BGT for this. I won't say much more, I don't need to. Mr Loony of Loonytown, USA (I think it's a bloke, anyway), says it all. I fear he may be wound too tight for.....well.....well for everywhere, really!

Tuesday, 18 September 2007.

I wish I'd sung this! For non-Americans, and with apologies to all the smart arses out there who already knew, the FCC is the Federal Communications Commission and it monitors TV and radio output in the States - a sort of broadcast police - while the EPA is the Yanks' so-called Environmental Protection Agency, a body which does exactly the opposite of what it says on the can. (P.S. We went to the same school, you know? Eric and me, that is, not George, Martha, Dick and Condoleeza and me. I don't think they went to school.) P.P.S. Please see below if you are I Like The View, Malc or Doris.

To Make You Laugh and Cry

I was listening to this on a Sunday, the very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither is a Catholic, Tom Lehrer is one of my all-time heroes and this is one of his best.............no other reasons. On a more sombre note (and with thanks to Fish for coming up with this Woman's-Own-passes-the-time-in-the-dentist's-waiting-room nonsense), why not get a computer to tell you that you are a waste of space and your life is a sham of a mockery of a farce? Ok, it's from one of those poxy dating sites but...go on, take the test. You ain't got much to beat!!
This Is My Life, Rated
Life: 4.2
Mind: 4.1
Body: 2.7
Spirit: 8
Friends/Family: 1.6
Love: 0
Finance: 5.9
Take the Rate My Life Quiz
Apparently, in my case, "computer say 'no!'"

I First Saw This When I Was Little - And Loved It! I Hope That Explains a Few Things

Fuck, Fuckety, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck

It has been pointed out to me that, particularly for one whose profession is supposedly literary, my language is getting worse. My use of the "F" word is, I am told, far too prevalent and hence loses impact. To those who share this view I suggest you watch the following:

Tony Blair Isn't a Burglar - But If He Was.........

In the spirit of Gustav Holst's Jupiter and Manfred Mann's Earth Band, I feel like raising a smile today. The Big Green Thing alerted me to this and, for no other reason than to raise a smile on an otherwise crap Wednesday, I think it has to be shared. Grantham shall not have him - when he gets out of prison.

Life On The Edge - No Net.

I was wrong when I feared it might be a dull weekend, what with my pals being away, my soon-to-be ex-wife in rehab and only the dogs to play with. How wrong can a man be? This much fun must surely be illegal? Just click to see the japes and hoots I am having! Click again to see how things got REALLy exciting! Tomorrow we're going to chase pigeons.

The Good Old U.S. of A. - Guardians of Freedom and Democracy. Nothing to Be Scared of, Then?

Be honest........

IT'S THE QUIZ OF THE WEEK! JUST SCROLL DOWN AND HIT "FULL QUIZ".