**********************************************************WHY GRANTHAM? JUST CLICK:
TEXT **********************************************************

Saturday 10 May 2008

On The Saving Of Bacon


I've finally got a job! I've finally got a full-time, permanent job and my house is safe!! Hurrah!!!

With just two weeks to go before the building society said it would repossess Pither Towers, I have at last found someone who is prepared to employ a "47-YEAR-OLD", who is "A MAN", "WHITE", "ABLE-BODIED" (sort of) and "NOT EASILY BULLIED"! Double hurrah!

Who, I don't hear you ask, has taken this leap of faith and decided that there is life in the old dog yet? Well, it's no-one in the sexist, vacuous, ageist, immoral, talentless, back-stabbing, chip-on-the-shoulder world of PR, that's for sure. I have battled valiantly for two years to make ends meet in that stupid, corporate world and, try as I might, I realised the time had come when I just couldn't overcome the obstacles to employment (glass security doors, I think they are called) - hence my last two months of inactivity.

That's when it dawned on me. Over this last fortnight I redoubled my efforts to find ANY kind of work, ANYWHERE and a wise old owl said to me:

"What is it you actually do, Pither?"

"Well, I was a journalist," said I. "Now I don't really know what I am."

"I don't think you can really stop being a journalist," said he. "It's like stopping being a serial killer. It's kinda in your blood."

"Nice analogy, but I take your point."


So, realising that I should carry on doing what it is that I always used to do, I put in a few phone calls and - da, daaa! - the second daily paper I made contact with said "Come on in Piths, we'd be glad to have you aboard."

I start a week on Monday and will be a newsdesk assistant and head office senior responsible for taking the baby Biro brandishers under my wing. Hurrah! The money isn't brill - that's journalism for you - but I'm back on the pension trail again, working in a lovely part of the country, for a non-Nazi organisation and........well.......doing what I do.

The feeling is good. The feeling is very good. It's almost as good as that feeling you get inside when you see the stony face of some grasping, geriatric, Home Counties type when they are told the chest of drawers they have taken along to the Antiques Roadshow is just tat and only worth about £10.

Grantham shall not have journalism. The people will just have to make do with BBC Breakfast, The Sun and the Daily Mail.

P.S. I am so heartened by this news I shall post a gratuitous, sexist photo, just to cheer me up (and because I can, and because I'm old, and because I still have dreams) - and to remind me about my ultimate career goal and the publication at which I think all of my talents will finally be fully utilised.

14 comments:

Gin said...

Congrats on the job! They've made a very good choice!!

Good grief! The poor girl...I usually don't feel inadequate in that dept. but wow, I sure do right now!

XOX

The Birdwatcher said...

Reg great news about the job. Puts the tits i was watching this morning into perspective. (Do I have to give my blue peter medal back>)

Anonymous said...

Wouldn't like one of them for wart on the end of my ...........

fiwa said...

Hey, that's really great news Reg! I'll raise a glass in your honor tonight. Is PR public relations? What on earth were ya thinking? That's Grantham on earth. Glad you're back on the sunny side.

lovins,
fiwa

PS, re: the tits? QUALITY, not quantity. ;)

Anonymous said...

First article


When two teenagers knocked on his door in the early hours to tell him one of his cows was sick, award-winning Shropshire cattle breeder Bob Lane was initially unsure of their intentions.
It was 3am when the youths carrying torches woke Mr Lane up at his farm. in
But when the farmer got to the field he found one of his cows was lying on its side on the ground and unable to get up.
And he said if the two young men had not alerted him the stricken Aberdeen Angus cow called Dolly, aged about five years, could have died.
The farmer, who breeds Aberdeen Angus cattle, now wants to meet the youths to thank them for their efforts.
They also left some money, which Mr Lane thinks might have dropped out of one their pockets, on the ground as they were helping to get the cow back on her feet.
He said he wanted to give them the money back

Gadjo Dilo said...

Oh, my, she's a big girl. But's fiwa's right, you'd get bored with them after 20 years and hanker after something more petite and managable.

Congrats on the job! Where are you relocating to? And is the STB EW relocating with you?? (Yes, I'm still confused).

dinahmow said...

Well,well...a paper whose hiring editor actually cares about gramma an speling (sic)
S'pose you wouldn't care to come out here and write our local sausage wrapper? No, thought not. The antipodean pull is not strong enough to tug you from your cherished clime!
(But congrats, anyway, Reg)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the new job Reg!! Speaking as a baby Biro brandisher you took under your wing years ago (yes, it was YOU who created me remember!), those kids are in safe hands. You'll get them defying the bosses in no time!!!!!!!

Love,
Big Ears

Anonymous said...

Congratulations.

I was expecting a picture of Rachel Weitz in a short skirt. I never learn.

Anonymous said...

HURRAH!I often find glass security doors between myself and my desire, but when the restraining order fails to work I suppose this is the next logical step.

oooh, I could be in that magazine...

But doesn't it look a lot like she has got hold of a plastic pair and is busy trying to clip them to her chin?

Betty said...

Well done with regards to the job. I should imagine you're liver is going to suffer even more, if what they say about journalists and boozing is true.

I wouldn't like to be in a ten mile radius of that woman if she was lactating.

delcatto said...

Congratulations!
Personally I prefer women with smaller tits and an ample bottom.
At least your world is no longer tits up.

Vicus Scurra said...

Good news Pither. Tell it like it is. I look forward to some groundbreaking news gathering in the coming weeks.

Malcolm Cinnamond said...

Good news matey. Glad the penny has finally dropped. Stick to what you're good at. I'll keep in touch just in case the pig thing goes tits up.

WEDNESDAY, 21 NOVEMBER 2007

SHORTS DON'T MATTER! 1. From the greatest programme ever made about association football, Barnstoneworth United FC manager Mr Dainty delivers one of the finest English soliloqiues of all time.......and afterwards, spare a thought for the club steward's wife Vera (YOU ONLY HAVE TO WATCH HALF OF THE CLIP!!).

Monday, 12 November 2007

Not everyone who agonises over their life is a painter. Some of us agonise because we're NOT painters.

....And On the Subject of Great Public Services

I know most of you have heard this marvellous song by those doctors who are the Amateur Transplants......but I think the video is a nice addition. P.S. If there are kids in the room I'd shuffle them out before hitting play.

...There's More

On the subject of those great doctors, here is their version of More Than Words which presents their challenging views on women outside Watford. The very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither, coming from Cumbria, is a huge fan. Again, get those kids out of the room!

Leave Britney Alone, Ok!!!

Oh...........my............God!!!!! My heartfelt thanks go to BGT for this. I won't say much more, I don't need to. Mr Loony of Loonytown, USA (I think it's a bloke, anyway), says it all. I fear he may be wound too tight for.....well.....well for everywhere, really!

Tuesday, 18 September 2007.

I wish I'd sung this! For non-Americans, and with apologies to all the smart arses out there who already knew, the FCC is the Federal Communications Commission and it monitors TV and radio output in the States - a sort of broadcast police - while the EPA is the Yanks' so-called Environmental Protection Agency, a body which does exactly the opposite of what it says on the can. (P.S. We went to the same school, you know? Eric and me, that is, not George, Martha, Dick and Condoleeza and me. I don't think they went to school.) P.P.S. Please see below if you are I Like The View, Malc or Doris.

To Make You Laugh and Cry

I was listening to this on a Sunday, the very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither is a Catholic, Tom Lehrer is one of my all-time heroes and this is one of his best.............no other reasons. On a more sombre note (and with thanks to Fish for coming up with this Woman's-Own-passes-the-time-in-the-dentist's-waiting-room nonsense), why not get a computer to tell you that you are a waste of space and your life is a sham of a mockery of a farce? Ok, it's from one of those poxy dating sites but...go on, take the test. You ain't got much to beat!!
This Is My Life, Rated
Life: 4.2
Mind: 4.1
Body: 2.7
Spirit: 8
Friends/Family: 1.6
Love: 0
Finance: 5.9
Take the Rate My Life Quiz
Apparently, in my case, "computer say 'no!'"

I First Saw This When I Was Little - And Loved It! I Hope That Explains a Few Things

Fuck, Fuckety, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck

It has been pointed out to me that, particularly for one whose profession is supposedly literary, my language is getting worse. My use of the "F" word is, I am told, far too prevalent and hence loses impact. To those who share this view I suggest you watch the following:

Tony Blair Isn't a Burglar - But If He Was.........

In the spirit of Gustav Holst's Jupiter and Manfred Mann's Earth Band, I feel like raising a smile today. The Big Green Thing alerted me to this and, for no other reason than to raise a smile on an otherwise crap Wednesday, I think it has to be shared. Grantham shall not have him - when he gets out of prison.

Life On The Edge - No Net.

I was wrong when I feared it might be a dull weekend, what with my pals being away, my soon-to-be ex-wife in rehab and only the dogs to play with. How wrong can a man be? This much fun must surely be illegal? Just click to see the japes and hoots I am having! Click again to see how things got REALLy exciting! Tomorrow we're going to chase pigeons.

The Good Old U.S. of A. - Guardians of Freedom and Democracy. Nothing to Be Scared of, Then?

Be honest........

IT'S THE QUIZ OF THE WEEK! JUST SCROLL DOWN AND HIT "FULL QUIZ".