**********************************************************WHY GRANTHAM? JUST CLICK:
TEXT **********************************************************

Sunday 26 October 2008

The Time Machines.


If ever I was reminded of just what a pathetic, grasping materialist I am it was last night, when I put the clocks back an hour for winter time.

Ok, strictly speaking the clocks weren't due to change until something like 4am today but I am an anally retentive Virgoan and I alter them earlier and earlier each year – it’s a disease with me.

I pout and pour scorn on the age of materialism regularly on this Blog and decry the consumer society and those who adhere to it. Then, when I come to alter the clocks, I realise just what a hypocrite I am.

Gone are the days when father used to ceremoniously open the glass face on the grandfather clock in the hall and then move the minute hand clockwise or anti-clockwise a full rotation before closing the case and climbing the stairs, candle in hand, nightcap on head, ready for six months in a new time zone.

Pither, the shallow hoarder of meaningless consumer trinkets, yesterday evening had to alter:



….His watch.
The clock in the kitchen.
The oven clock.
The clock on the microwave oven.
The clock on the TV in the kitchen.
The central heating timer.
The timer on the hall light.
The time on the phone/answermachine.
The timer in the garage on the fish pond lights.
The timer in the garage on the back security light.
The clock in the car.
The clock in the study.
The alarm clock in my bedroom.
The back-up alarm clock in my bedroom.
The TV in my bedroom.
The TV in the spare bedroom.
The timer on the fish tank in the spare bedroom.
The alarm clock in the spare bedroom.
The video recorder in the lounge.
The DVD/video tape converter in the lounge.
The timer on the fish tank in the lounge.
The time on my mobile phone.
This computer’s clock.



The irony of the whole situation is that, doing a job which involves me keeping my eye on the time every second of every minute of every hour in order to meet recurring deadlines, the last thing I want to be reminded of away from the office is the time!! My hatred of “knowing the time” has led me in the last few years to abandon my watch the moment I get home and not put it back on until I have to go back to work. If I’m on holiday that can be two weeks without a watch and without any care of what time it is. I find the sun and the moon give me sufficient information.

How many of these non-biodegradable pieces of soon-to-be landfill cluttering up my home and charting my inexorable march towards the grave do I actually need, I ask myself?

Like every dumb clutz across the nation, however, I still work up this morning, looked at the clock and thought……..”Ah! I’ve got another hour in bed.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Every year - or even every six months - I hear a discussion on the radio about why we change the clocks and whether it's worth doing or not. It's actually pretty funny how worked up some folks get about this.

What's even funnier is the fact that some people seem to genuinely believe that putting the clocks back an hour "gives the Farmers an extra hour of daylight". I know the Farmers very well, and I don't see how them getting a fairly unnecessary hour more daylight each day is in any way worth the sort of herculean effort that you describe in your blog. Nor do I see how turning a milled plastic wheel on the back of my kitchen clock can influence the Earth's axial rotation in a way that apparently benefits the three of them without affecting the rest of us.

BGT

WEDNESDAY, 21 NOVEMBER 2007

SHORTS DON'T MATTER! 1. From the greatest programme ever made about association football, Barnstoneworth United FC manager Mr Dainty delivers one of the finest English soliloqiues of all time.......and afterwards, spare a thought for the club steward's wife Vera (YOU ONLY HAVE TO WATCH HALF OF THE CLIP!!).

Monday, 12 November 2007

Not everyone who agonises over their life is a painter. Some of us agonise because we're NOT painters.

....And On the Subject of Great Public Services

I know most of you have heard this marvellous song by those doctors who are the Amateur Transplants......but I think the video is a nice addition. P.S. If there are kids in the room I'd shuffle them out before hitting play.

...There's More

On the subject of those great doctors, here is their version of More Than Words which presents their challenging views on women outside Watford. The very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither, coming from Cumbria, is a huge fan. Again, get those kids out of the room!

Leave Britney Alone, Ok!!!

Oh...........my............God!!!!! My heartfelt thanks go to BGT for this. I won't say much more, I don't need to. Mr Loony of Loonytown, USA (I think it's a bloke, anyway), says it all. I fear he may be wound too tight for.....well.....well for everywhere, really!

Tuesday, 18 September 2007.

I wish I'd sung this! For non-Americans, and with apologies to all the smart arses out there who already knew, the FCC is the Federal Communications Commission and it monitors TV and radio output in the States - a sort of broadcast police - while the EPA is the Yanks' so-called Environmental Protection Agency, a body which does exactly the opposite of what it says on the can. (P.S. We went to the same school, you know? Eric and me, that is, not George, Martha, Dick and Condoleeza and me. I don't think they went to school.) P.P.S. Please see below if you are I Like The View, Malc or Doris.

To Make You Laugh and Cry

I was listening to this on a Sunday, the very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither is a Catholic, Tom Lehrer is one of my all-time heroes and this is one of his best.............no other reasons. On a more sombre note (and with thanks to Fish for coming up with this Woman's-Own-passes-the-time-in-the-dentist's-waiting-room nonsense), why not get a computer to tell you that you are a waste of space and your life is a sham of a mockery of a farce? Ok, it's from one of those poxy dating sites but...go on, take the test. You ain't got much to beat!!
This Is My Life, Rated
Life: 4.2
Mind: 4.1
Body: 2.7
Spirit: 8
Friends/Family: 1.6
Love: 0
Finance: 5.9
Take the Rate My Life Quiz
Apparently, in my case, "computer say 'no!'"

I First Saw This When I Was Little - And Loved It! I Hope That Explains a Few Things

Fuck, Fuckety, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck

It has been pointed out to me that, particularly for one whose profession is supposedly literary, my language is getting worse. My use of the "F" word is, I am told, far too prevalent and hence loses impact. To those who share this view I suggest you watch the following:

Tony Blair Isn't a Burglar - But If He Was.........

In the spirit of Gustav Holst's Jupiter and Manfred Mann's Earth Band, I feel like raising a smile today. The Big Green Thing alerted me to this and, for no other reason than to raise a smile on an otherwise crap Wednesday, I think it has to be shared. Grantham shall not have him - when he gets out of prison.

Life On The Edge - No Net.

I was wrong when I feared it might be a dull weekend, what with my pals being away, my soon-to-be ex-wife in rehab and only the dogs to play with. How wrong can a man be? This much fun must surely be illegal? Just click to see the japes and hoots I am having! Click again to see how things got REALLy exciting! Tomorrow we're going to chase pigeons.

The Good Old U.S. of A. - Guardians of Freedom and Democracy. Nothing to Be Scared of, Then?

Be honest........

IT'S THE QUIZ OF THE WEEK! JUST SCROLL DOWN AND HIT "FULL QUIZ".