**********************************************************WHY GRANTHAM? JUST CLICK:
TEXT **********************************************************

Sunday 25 March 2007

Times They Are A Changin'


The clocks went forward in the early hours and I am now mentally exhausted.
Two things have conspired to make the switch to and from British Summertime a nightmare for me. The first is the ceaseless advance in technology and the second is the fact that I am one of the most anally retentive beings on this planet (Virgo).
I live in fear and dread of forgetting to put the clocks forward or back and so gear myself up for it weeks in advance. It never used to be such a trial for me. Years ago, all I had to do was to alter my watch and the grandfather clock in the hall. Job done. Easy. No way you could forget.
Nowadays the task has become a tad more involved. Right, there is still my watch and the hall clock but there is now also another clock in the kitchen.....oh, and the clock on the microwave........and the central heating timer.........and the digital clock on the oven...........and the digital alarm clock in my bedroom..........and the digital alarm clock in the spare bedroom..........and the digital clock in my study..........and the clock on the video......and the clock on the video in my bedroom.......and the clock on the video in the spare room.

Each time I think I've got all the bases covered and each time there is some bloody clock somewhere I have forgotten. Like the clock on the answerphone, and the timer-clock on the light in the hall, and the timer-clock on the uplighter in the lounge, and the timer-clock on the back garden security light, and the timer on the pond lights, and the timer on the fish tank in the kitchen, and the timer clock on the fish tank in the lounge.
By the time I have completed this Herculean feat of memory and clock changing I am invariably shagged out. Then I spend the rest of the day recovering, and when I get up for work the following morning and get in my car to drive to work.....OH SHIT! THE FUCKING CLOCK IN THE CAR!! AAAaaaaarrrrgh!!!!!
Being so anal, I HAVE to make sure ALL the clocks are altered AND BEFORE THE ALLOTTED DEADLINE! I used to stay up until about midnight and do the clock rounds then. As the task became more complicated I brought that deadline forward and would metaphorically ring the changes at about 9pm. Still more clocks to change and the deadline crept forward to about 7pm. Yesterday, I altered the clocks at 5pm!!!!! (or was it 4pm???) Soon I will be altering them a week early, then a month and then......Yes, the nightmare scenario. I just spend my entire life moving the clocks forward, then back, then forward again, then back...........

I'm getting one of my headaches again. I need to lie down. Wake me in an hour.........or an hour ago...............or now?????
Sod it! These clock changes can go to Grantham.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Comment moderation? You're joking aren't you? What a child of Thatcher thing to do. All for free speach until there's the risk of someone saying something you don't agree with. Bet you don't approve this.

Barry Lawrence said...

......don't worry, I'm sure you'll be right about something, some day. P.S. You do realise, I suppose, that your comment is the blog equivalent of a sign saying "Don't Throw Stones At This Sign"?

WEDNESDAY, 21 NOVEMBER 2007

SHORTS DON'T MATTER! 1. From the greatest programme ever made about association football, Barnstoneworth United FC manager Mr Dainty delivers one of the finest English soliloqiues of all time.......and afterwards, spare a thought for the club steward's wife Vera (YOU ONLY HAVE TO WATCH HALF OF THE CLIP!!).

Monday, 12 November 2007

Not everyone who agonises over their life is a painter. Some of us agonise because we're NOT painters.

....And On the Subject of Great Public Services

I know most of you have heard this marvellous song by those doctors who are the Amateur Transplants......but I think the video is a nice addition. P.S. If there are kids in the room I'd shuffle them out before hitting play.

...There's More

On the subject of those great doctors, here is their version of More Than Words which presents their challenging views on women outside Watford. The very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither, coming from Cumbria, is a huge fan. Again, get those kids out of the room!

Leave Britney Alone, Ok!!!

Oh...........my............God!!!!! My heartfelt thanks go to BGT for this. I won't say much more, I don't need to. Mr Loony of Loonytown, USA (I think it's a bloke, anyway), says it all. I fear he may be wound too tight for.....well.....well for everywhere, really!

Tuesday, 18 September 2007.

I wish I'd sung this! For non-Americans, and with apologies to all the smart arses out there who already knew, the FCC is the Federal Communications Commission and it monitors TV and radio output in the States - a sort of broadcast police - while the EPA is the Yanks' so-called Environmental Protection Agency, a body which does exactly the opposite of what it says on the can. (P.S. We went to the same school, you know? Eric and me, that is, not George, Martha, Dick and Condoleeza and me. I don't think they went to school.) P.P.S. Please see below if you are I Like The View, Malc or Doris.

To Make You Laugh and Cry

I was listening to this on a Sunday, the very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither is a Catholic, Tom Lehrer is one of my all-time heroes and this is one of his best.............no other reasons. On a more sombre note (and with thanks to Fish for coming up with this Woman's-Own-passes-the-time-in-the-dentist's-waiting-room nonsense), why not get a computer to tell you that you are a waste of space and your life is a sham of a mockery of a farce? Ok, it's from one of those poxy dating sites but...go on, take the test. You ain't got much to beat!!
This Is My Life, Rated
Life: 4.2
Mind: 4.1
Body: 2.7
Spirit: 8
Friends/Family: 1.6
Love: 0
Finance: 5.9
Take the Rate My Life Quiz
Apparently, in my case, "computer say 'no!'"

I First Saw This When I Was Little - And Loved It! I Hope That Explains a Few Things

Fuck, Fuckety, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck

It has been pointed out to me that, particularly for one whose profession is supposedly literary, my language is getting worse. My use of the "F" word is, I am told, far too prevalent and hence loses impact. To those who share this view I suggest you watch the following:

Tony Blair Isn't a Burglar - But If He Was.........

In the spirit of Gustav Holst's Jupiter and Manfred Mann's Earth Band, I feel like raising a smile today. The Big Green Thing alerted me to this and, for no other reason than to raise a smile on an otherwise crap Wednesday, I think it has to be shared. Grantham shall not have him - when he gets out of prison.

Life On The Edge - No Net.

I was wrong when I feared it might be a dull weekend, what with my pals being away, my soon-to-be ex-wife in rehab and only the dogs to play with. How wrong can a man be? This much fun must surely be illegal? Just click to see the japes and hoots I am having! Click again to see how things got REALLy exciting! Tomorrow we're going to chase pigeons.

The Good Old U.S. of A. - Guardians of Freedom and Democracy. Nothing to Be Scared of, Then?

Be honest........

IT'S THE QUIZ OF THE WEEK! JUST SCROLL DOWN AND HIT "FULL QUIZ".