**********************************************************WHY GRANTHAM? JUST CLICK:
TEXT **********************************************************

Thursday 13 December 2007

Dear John


Ah!! Now I remember. That's when I was just right for promotion!


I was reminded yesterday of a great line from that blackly-funny but seemingly forgotten sit-com "Dear John".
When asked for his thoughts on promotion, the late Ralph Bates - who played the hang-
dog hero - said: "I remember the days when I was told I was too young for promotion. I also seem to recall the days when I was told I was too old for promotion. I'm not sure when I was just right for promotion.........I think I must have been on holiday."
I have always empathised with that experience and something akin to it reared its head again yesterday.
Among the myriad jobs I have applied for was one as a Grand Wizard in the press office at a county council. I was asked along for an interview there on Monday and they all seemed a jolly decent bunch of coves, I have to say.
I had, it turned out, made it onto a shortlist of three and when I saw the other two candidates I thought I was probably in with a good chance. One was a spotty Herbert in his 30s who, when I asked him if he had come far, said: "No, not really. I live just down the road with my mum." Hardly the fiercesome sort to strike terror into the press and rule a communications empire with a rod of iron, I reasoned.
The other was one of those sorts of women - well, I think she had negotiated puberty, albeit not too successfully - who seem to be all the rage in journalistic circles these days. Clutching a bottle of mineral water, she had a Henry V haircut and a face like a camel sucking a biscuit. To enhance the look she wore Harry Potteresque bins, a woolly, polo-neck sweater-affair, flame-retardant, black, four-million-denier tights, a plaid ra-ra skirt and Doc Martin boots. She was, in truth, a walking contraceptive. The only words she spoke came when I asked if there were any good pubs in the vicinity. "I don't drink!" she said curtly. Good God, I thought! A completely dessicated person!! "Try Our New Instant Journo - Just Add Water and Serve!"

Anyway, to cut an already tedious story a tad shorter, I did my "thang" in the interview with three council bods - I was, naturally, brilliant - and then, despite producing a portfolio of press clippings, sample releases, project reports and testimonials, I was asked to write a press release from some notes they shoved in front of me. Now that may seem a logical thing to ask, from an outsider's point of view, but I have been a hack for close on 25 years. I find the request not only somewhat redundant but also insulting. I mean, do you think that if Dr Christian Barnard had turned up for an interview at Deathtown Health Trust he would have been asked to perform open-heart surgery on Wilkinson from accounts who just happened to be standing in the corner? Would Karl Marx have been asked to go and form a Communist state? How about Oppenheimer? Do you think he was asked to knock up an atom bomb while a bunch of "suits" at the interview checked over his O-Level certificates? You get my drift, I think.

Well, yesterday I rang up to see how I had fared and I received the kind of news life has taught me to expect - bad news. The council supremo was a lovely lass and she was genuinely embarrassed and clearly felt awkward at having to "Dear John" me and say that I had not been successful. C'est la vie. No worries. Every penny don't fit the slot, I thought. No doubt the closet paedophile/serial killer and Anhydrous Annie had hidden depths and talents which put me in the shade.
Before wishing the lovely supremo a fond farewell and asking her to bear me in mind for any future jobs, I asked, as is my custom after failed interviews, for some pointers on where I had fallen down and in which areas I was deemed to have been weak.
"None," she replied.
"None! There must have been some, surely, otherwise I would have got the job?"
"No," she stuttered, "We just felt....we felt....well..... that perhaps you were too experienced."
"Sorry?"
"I mean, you have such a wide ranging background we thought the job would have bored you. We wanted someone who would be with us for the long-term."

Now maybe I am being naiive. Maybe that was a euphemism for "old". Ageism is supposedly against the law these days but how do you prove it? The job spec did not mention anything about having to have hair and all your own teeth. There didn't appear to have been a bar on anyone who could remember Pickety Witch, "Make Your Mind Up Time" or Atom Ant. I didn't see anything about "physically repulsive individuals will not be considered" - if there had been something to that effect then the Christie look-alike and Little Miss Drypants would also have been barred.

So, in a non-cynical spirit I will accept the words at face value - I am, apparently, "too experienced". I remember when I used to be told that I hadn't got enough experience. I wonder where I was on holiday when I had just the right amount?

Nothing for Grantham today apart, I suppose, from job-hunting and interviews.

7 comments:

fiwa said...

Sorry for the bad luck. I've heard that particular piece of crap myself a time or two. I console myself with the fact that just because they're on the other side of the interview desk, doesn't mean they're smart.

I hate job hunting, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you that something good comes through soon.

fiwa

Gin said...

Well, if wit were in the job description, you would have won the competition, hands down! I so enjoyed this post...it reminded me of my younger days as a free-lance reporter/photog. And BTW, I think I worked with that lady(?)interviewee you described!!

Good luck pounding the pavement,
Ginni

Arabella said...

Oh bugger.
Thanks for making what must have been an bloody annoying time into such a funny read, though.
I intend to use the image of a camel sucking a bicuit 'Reggie Perrin insert' style during my own annoying times.

I, Like The View said...

bugger

:-(

fingers crossed for the next one

:-X

(what exactly is a Henry V haircut? could be the solution to all my problems)(well, one of them anyhow)

I, Like The View said...

have a fun drink tonight with the TPF!!

XX

Betty said...

The completely dessicated woman sounds like the sort of person that I'd encounter at the Aston Triangle cinema when I was going to see subtitled Polish films years ago. Are you sure you haven't time travelled back to 1985?

Hmm, hopefully a job in the current world will turn up soon. If someone is "too old" to work in their forties, gawd 'elp us.

Anonymous said...

Set up your own council, I would. That'd show 'em.

WEDNESDAY, 21 NOVEMBER 2007

SHORTS DON'T MATTER! 1. From the greatest programme ever made about association football, Barnstoneworth United FC manager Mr Dainty delivers one of the finest English soliloqiues of all time.......and afterwards, spare a thought for the club steward's wife Vera (YOU ONLY HAVE TO WATCH HALF OF THE CLIP!!).

Monday, 12 November 2007

Not everyone who agonises over their life is a painter. Some of us agonise because we're NOT painters.

....And On the Subject of Great Public Services

I know most of you have heard this marvellous song by those doctors who are the Amateur Transplants......but I think the video is a nice addition. P.S. If there are kids in the room I'd shuffle them out before hitting play.

...There's More

On the subject of those great doctors, here is their version of More Than Words which presents their challenging views on women outside Watford. The very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither, coming from Cumbria, is a huge fan. Again, get those kids out of the room!

Leave Britney Alone, Ok!!!

Oh...........my............God!!!!! My heartfelt thanks go to BGT for this. I won't say much more, I don't need to. Mr Loony of Loonytown, USA (I think it's a bloke, anyway), says it all. I fear he may be wound too tight for.....well.....well for everywhere, really!

Tuesday, 18 September 2007.

I wish I'd sung this! For non-Americans, and with apologies to all the smart arses out there who already knew, the FCC is the Federal Communications Commission and it monitors TV and radio output in the States - a sort of broadcast police - while the EPA is the Yanks' so-called Environmental Protection Agency, a body which does exactly the opposite of what it says on the can. (P.S. We went to the same school, you know? Eric and me, that is, not George, Martha, Dick and Condoleeza and me. I don't think they went to school.) P.P.S. Please see below if you are I Like The View, Malc or Doris.

To Make You Laugh and Cry

I was listening to this on a Sunday, the very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither is a Catholic, Tom Lehrer is one of my all-time heroes and this is one of his best.............no other reasons. On a more sombre note (and with thanks to Fish for coming up with this Woman's-Own-passes-the-time-in-the-dentist's-waiting-room nonsense), why not get a computer to tell you that you are a waste of space and your life is a sham of a mockery of a farce? Ok, it's from one of those poxy dating sites but...go on, take the test. You ain't got much to beat!!
This Is My Life, Rated
Life: 4.2
Mind: 4.1
Body: 2.7
Spirit: 8
Friends/Family: 1.6
Love: 0
Finance: 5.9
Take the Rate My Life Quiz
Apparently, in my case, "computer say 'no!'"

I First Saw This When I Was Little - And Loved It! I Hope That Explains a Few Things

Fuck, Fuckety, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck

It has been pointed out to me that, particularly for one whose profession is supposedly literary, my language is getting worse. My use of the "F" word is, I am told, far too prevalent and hence loses impact. To those who share this view I suggest you watch the following:

Tony Blair Isn't a Burglar - But If He Was.........

In the spirit of Gustav Holst's Jupiter and Manfred Mann's Earth Band, I feel like raising a smile today. The Big Green Thing alerted me to this and, for no other reason than to raise a smile on an otherwise crap Wednesday, I think it has to be shared. Grantham shall not have him - when he gets out of prison.

Life On The Edge - No Net.

I was wrong when I feared it might be a dull weekend, what with my pals being away, my soon-to-be ex-wife in rehab and only the dogs to play with. How wrong can a man be? This much fun must surely be illegal? Just click to see the japes and hoots I am having! Click again to see how things got REALLy exciting! Tomorrow we're going to chase pigeons.

The Good Old U.S. of A. - Guardians of Freedom and Democracy. Nothing to Be Scared of, Then?

Be honest........

IT'S THE QUIZ OF THE WEEK! JUST SCROLL DOWN AND HIT "FULL QUIZ".