**********************************************************WHY GRANTHAM? JUST CLICK:
TEXT **********************************************************

Tuesday 25 December 2007

T'was The Night Before Christmas

Yes, I know it's Christmas Day.
I know that real people with real lives are, as I write, busy celebrating countries of the world by gathering around illuminated bits of Norway while frantically ripping off processed off-cuts of Canada from Taiwanese-designed packaging to reveal "things" made in China, powered by batteries from Japan, which are all destined, once they are fucked, to be parcelled up in rolled and pressed pieces of South American rain forest and sent to starving children in Africa. Yes, I know all of these things but......................

Christmas had already been cancelled round here at The Towers before Mrs Pither proverbially urinated on any remaining festive chips by going out yesterday evening to deliver presents to friends and their spawn.
The local deliveries I could get my mind around but when, at 6pm, she phoned to say she was driving up to the home of two friends and their 34,567 children just south of Reykjavic (actually, it's in Staffordshire) I thought she was stretching the Dickensian spirit a little too far.
She then rang at 7pm to say she had a flat tyre!!
"We're no longer in the AA," she wailed.
"Are so!"
"Not too!"
"It's now through Lloyds Bank," I said. "Just give them my account number."

Mrs P phoned again two hours later:
"The AA have been and put on the spare."
"Oh, deep joy. So you're coming home now?"
"No, I'll carry on to their house. I won't be long."

Mrs P phoned again at 11pm:
"Right, I've dropped off all the presents so I'm about to set off for home."
"I am moist in anticipation."

Mrs P phoned again at midnight (you won't believe this, but I swear it is true):
"I'm stuck in mud."
"What?!!?! Where the 'eck are you?"
"In a farm track."
"Any particular reason why the urge overtook you to go down a farm track?"
"I took a wrong turning. Don't worry, I'm not far from N and J's house and so J's coming out to tow me out."

Mrs P phoned again at 1am:
"He can't pull me out so I've phoned the AA again. They're sending a truck from a local garage."
"Has Brian Rix appeared yet? Turn away when the vicar drops his trousers!"
"What?"
"Ne'er mind. Ring me to let me know when the man arrives."

Mrs P phoned at 2.30am:
"The guy from the garage has been and his truck is too wide to get down the path."
"Spiffing!"
"Also, he hasn't got a towbar or towrope long enough to reach me."
"Mentally, I know how he feels."
"He says he will have to come back on Thursday but it will cost a couple of hundred pounds to get the car out."
"Well done. And that would take the spending on the Christmas we're NOT having to what, exactly?"
"J says he will drive me home."

The phone rang again at 3am. It was "N", my wife's neurotic, poisonous, baby-dropping friend who was clearly inebriated.
"You pig!!"
"Mr Pig, please."
"Why didn't you come to collect her?"
"As I've already explained to my darling wife, I have had three-quarters of a bottle of wine and so am over the limit to drive."
"You could have come in a taxi!"
"So, let me get this straight. I should have chartered a taxi to take me the 345 miles to where YOU are so that she could get in it to come the 345 miles back with me instead of her simply getting in a taxi where YOU are and coming back by herself?"
"We couldn't get a taxi!! It's Christmas Eve, you know!!"
"You mean it WAS. Look, if she can't get a taxi there, what makes you think I could get one here?"
"You pig!!"
"We've covered that."

Anyway, Mrs P arrived home in the extremely tiny-wee small hours and woke me up on her return hence I began today, like a four-year-old should do on Christmas Day, at 4am!
I have since tried to explain to Mrs P why we will now have to report to Reykjavic police that the car has been temporarily abandoned if we are not to get an unexpected, 2ft-square present weighing 3cwts from the constabulary.
Happy days. Christmas Eve 2007 can go to Grantham.

7 comments:

Vicus Scurra said...

What is she like?
It must be a laugh a minute at your place.

Anonymous said...

"I am moist in anticipation" - that one line of an incredibly funny blog (albeit not from where you, Mrs P and the baby-dropper are standing)has cheered my day up no end.

Can we not just send the whole of Christmas to Grantham and keep New Year's Eve for us so that we have only one over-rated, obscenely expensive day full of drunk, obnoxious twats pretending everything is going to get better??

Love,
Big Ears

Anonymous said...

Would you Adam and Eve it? Pither, I don't want to risk making you paranoid on this festive day. But I have to be honest here and if I were you, I'd be starting to worry. I don't believe in pre-destination or anything like that, but the reason for your frequent glumness is becoming more and more apparent; THIS SORT OF THING HAPPENS TO YOU FAR MORE OFTEN THAN IT DOES TO MOST OTHER PEOPLE. It's uncanny! I'd see if you can get it investigated by the British Paranormal Society or some other bunch of sandal-wearing weirdos.

Anyway, see you in the pub to sympathise about 1.30 ish.

BGT

Gin said...

...at least you had wine!

Merry Christmas, Reg!

Ginni

Anonymous said...

Holy moly! Thank God you were over the limit! heh heh. I bet she would have loved a fresh juice when she got home? God, I am awful and I love it. :)

I, Like The View said...

well, at least you talked to another human being (I'm assuming the STBEMP is one) - so that made your xmas eve marginally better than mine. . .

Malcolm Cinnamond said...

Yes, you are a pig!

WEDNESDAY, 21 NOVEMBER 2007

SHORTS DON'T MATTER! 1. From the greatest programme ever made about association football, Barnstoneworth United FC manager Mr Dainty delivers one of the finest English soliloqiues of all time.......and afterwards, spare a thought for the club steward's wife Vera (YOU ONLY HAVE TO WATCH HALF OF THE CLIP!!).

Monday, 12 November 2007

Not everyone who agonises over their life is a painter. Some of us agonise because we're NOT painters.

....And On the Subject of Great Public Services

I know most of you have heard this marvellous song by those doctors who are the Amateur Transplants......but I think the video is a nice addition. P.S. If there are kids in the room I'd shuffle them out before hitting play.

...There's More

On the subject of those great doctors, here is their version of More Than Words which presents their challenging views on women outside Watford. The very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither, coming from Cumbria, is a huge fan. Again, get those kids out of the room!

Leave Britney Alone, Ok!!!

Oh...........my............God!!!!! My heartfelt thanks go to BGT for this. I won't say much more, I don't need to. Mr Loony of Loonytown, USA (I think it's a bloke, anyway), says it all. I fear he may be wound too tight for.....well.....well for everywhere, really!

Tuesday, 18 September 2007.

I wish I'd sung this! For non-Americans, and with apologies to all the smart arses out there who already knew, the FCC is the Federal Communications Commission and it monitors TV and radio output in the States - a sort of broadcast police - while the EPA is the Yanks' so-called Environmental Protection Agency, a body which does exactly the opposite of what it says on the can. (P.S. We went to the same school, you know? Eric and me, that is, not George, Martha, Dick and Condoleeza and me. I don't think they went to school.) P.P.S. Please see below if you are I Like The View, Malc or Doris.

To Make You Laugh and Cry

I was listening to this on a Sunday, the very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither is a Catholic, Tom Lehrer is one of my all-time heroes and this is one of his best.............no other reasons. On a more sombre note (and with thanks to Fish for coming up with this Woman's-Own-passes-the-time-in-the-dentist's-waiting-room nonsense), why not get a computer to tell you that you are a waste of space and your life is a sham of a mockery of a farce? Ok, it's from one of those poxy dating sites but...go on, take the test. You ain't got much to beat!!
This Is My Life, Rated
Life: 4.2
Mind: 4.1
Body: 2.7
Spirit: 8
Friends/Family: 1.6
Love: 0
Finance: 5.9
Take the Rate My Life Quiz
Apparently, in my case, "computer say 'no!'"

I First Saw This When I Was Little - And Loved It! I Hope That Explains a Few Things

Fuck, Fuckety, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck

It has been pointed out to me that, particularly for one whose profession is supposedly literary, my language is getting worse. My use of the "F" word is, I am told, far too prevalent and hence loses impact. To those who share this view I suggest you watch the following:

Tony Blair Isn't a Burglar - But If He Was.........

In the spirit of Gustav Holst's Jupiter and Manfred Mann's Earth Band, I feel like raising a smile today. The Big Green Thing alerted me to this and, for no other reason than to raise a smile on an otherwise crap Wednesday, I think it has to be shared. Grantham shall not have him - when he gets out of prison.

Life On The Edge - No Net.

I was wrong when I feared it might be a dull weekend, what with my pals being away, my soon-to-be ex-wife in rehab and only the dogs to play with. How wrong can a man be? This much fun must surely be illegal? Just click to see the japes and hoots I am having! Click again to see how things got REALLy exciting! Tomorrow we're going to chase pigeons.

The Good Old U.S. of A. - Guardians of Freedom and Democracy. Nothing to Be Scared of, Then?

Be honest........

IT'S THE QUIZ OF THE WEEK! JUST SCROLL DOWN AND HIT "FULL QUIZ".