**********************************************************WHY GRANTHAM? JUST CLICK:
TEXT **********************************************************

Tuesday 11 December 2007

Govspeak 2007


Following my discourse on Politicospeak, I would like to introduce the next in my fascinating series on modern languages - Govspeak 2007.

I was introduced to Basic Govspeak when I first joined the Fourth Estate and took up scribing way back in 4BC - political tales and coverage of local council meetings being mainstays of newspaper journalism.
What is Govspeak, I don't hear you ask? Well, in essence, it is the language used by local council officers, Whitehall mandarins and, consequently, their political masters.
Why was Govspeak invented? That, I'm afraid, is slightly harder to answer. The simplest way I can think of explaining it is to have you follow the chain of logical statements below to their inevitable conclusion.
1. The basic function of all public bodies is to collect money off everyone and then give it back, usually in the form of services.
2. To perform this function, public bodies such as councils need to employee two people - one to gather in the cash and the other to give it to people who actually DO something for a living.
3. The average local council in Britain employs around 12,895,863 people (the payroll in central government is obviously much larger).
4. Ordinarily, this would leave 12,895,861 employees in each council with "fuck all" to do all day.
5. Doing "fuck all" and getting paid for it is illegal (see the Fiscal Reimbursement For Doing Jackshite Prohibition Act of 1456), unless of course you are a member of the Royal Family.
6. The existence of 5 above leaves 12,895,861 town hall staff in each council with a dilemma.
(a) It is against the law and it is not a good career move to tell one's bosses and the general public which pays one "One has absolutely 'fuck all' to do again today so one thinks one will just arse about all morning, picking one's nose, scratching one's arse and making paper planes, before going to the pub for three hours and then returning to do a little more 'fuck all' until the bell goes for home-time".
(b) It IS, however, lawful and a good career move to give one's bosses and the general public which pays one the IMPRESSION that "One is working harder than a Japanese prisoner of war on things which are far too complex for you ordinary people to understand".
7. If the law is not to be openly flouted and the sack is to be avoided, a tool needs to be created capable of bridging the yawning chasm between these two opposites. That tool must convert the sentence in quotes in 6(a) into something which, while still meaning the same thing, leaves the desired impression expressed in 6(b). Are you still with me? If so...
8. Govspeak IS that tool. Hence, the sentence in quotes in 6(a) can be converted into sentences which still mean the same but leave the impression given by the one in 6(b), such as:
(a) "One is involved in a blue sky, decision making protocol on a think tank-led basis with a view to the roll-out of a corporate strategy for designated flagship golden arrows on a partnership pathway to regeneration."
OR (b) "One's perception of the core challenges is undergoing a root and branch re-evaluation with a view to the block-base construction of prioritised engagements aimed at positive input."
Etc, etc.

I am currently working for a local authority on a temporary contract. Why, given the state of affairs outlined above, have I joined these buffoons, I once again don't hear you ask? The simplest way I can think of explaining it is to have you follow the chain of logical statements below to their inevitable conclusion.
1. I have a mortgage.
2. The building society wants paying every month.
3. Said council reimburses me for attendance at its offices.

I was, as I said earlier, introduced to Basic Govspeak many years ago but I have learnt that it has moved on in the interim and the latest version is, predictably enough, Govspeak 2007.
The finer points of the updated language were highlighted in an e-mail I received today from the Local Government Association which was desperately trying to outlaw Govspeak 2007 - if only for tomorrow because that is Plain English Day.
As if to support the assertions made earlier in this post, the LGA highlighted some of the most obscene and yet most frequently used words and phrases in local and central government circles. I kid you not, they include:

CAPACITY BUILDING
COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT
CONDITIONALITY
COTERMINOSITY
DISTORTS SPENDING PRIORITIES
EXTERNAL CHALLENGE
HOLISTIC GOVERNANCE
IMPROVEMENT LEVERS
INCENTIVISING
PARTICIPATORY
PLACE SHAPING
PROCESS DRIVEN
QUICK HIT/WIN
SCOPING
SEEDBED (non-horticultural variety)
SIGNPOST (non-pole variety)
SOCIAL CONTRACTS
STEP CHANGE
SUSTAINABLE COMMUNITIES
SYNERGIES
TESTED FOR SOUNDNESS
THIRD SECTOR
TRANSFORMATIONAL
VALUE-ADDED

I have, however, saved the best for last. Get your mind round this. One phrase used excessively in government circles is..........

PREDICTORS OF BEACONICITY!!!

I swear to God that is on the list. If ANYONE, ANYWHERE has ANY fucking idea what the fuck that fucking means then I would love to hear from them.
In the meantime, Govspeak - in all its forms - can go to Grantham.

3 comments:

The Birdwatcher said...

Excellent post. I sat through a meeting a couple of days ago and a man who has along title and probably a salary with a lot of noughts in it, mentioned several of those words. We sort of nodded sagely and shuffled a bit uneasily in our seats. Afterwards I said to one of my colleagues "what the fuck was that all about" He had not got a clue either.

Our organisation is always sign posting , adding value, going for quick wins and we built so much capacity over the past six months that we don't know what to do with it all. I by the way am the beneficary of a working environment known as Flexible Geography!

dinahmow said...

Good ol' speed-reading! I finally made it to the end and was brought up short by ...beaconicity. Huh?
My best guess is a slush fund to provide a beacon in memory of some
QANGO. Under the Thatcher skirts, perhaps, when her monument is erected?

Zig said...

I know I know!
I know what it means because jolly WCC is losing its beaconisity!

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

You have completely missed out that section of govspeak that deals exclusively with education - a word that is no longer part of govspeak!

DCSF - to Grantham with them bunch of useless tossers.

WEDNESDAY, 21 NOVEMBER 2007

SHORTS DON'T MATTER! 1. From the greatest programme ever made about association football, Barnstoneworth United FC manager Mr Dainty delivers one of the finest English soliloqiues of all time.......and afterwards, spare a thought for the club steward's wife Vera (YOU ONLY HAVE TO WATCH HALF OF THE CLIP!!).

Monday, 12 November 2007

Not everyone who agonises over their life is a painter. Some of us agonise because we're NOT painters.

....And On the Subject of Great Public Services

I know most of you have heard this marvellous song by those doctors who are the Amateur Transplants......but I think the video is a nice addition. P.S. If there are kids in the room I'd shuffle them out before hitting play.

...There's More

On the subject of those great doctors, here is their version of More Than Words which presents their challenging views on women outside Watford. The very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither, coming from Cumbria, is a huge fan. Again, get those kids out of the room!

Leave Britney Alone, Ok!!!

Oh...........my............God!!!!! My heartfelt thanks go to BGT for this. I won't say much more, I don't need to. Mr Loony of Loonytown, USA (I think it's a bloke, anyway), says it all. I fear he may be wound too tight for.....well.....well for everywhere, really!

Tuesday, 18 September 2007.

I wish I'd sung this! For non-Americans, and with apologies to all the smart arses out there who already knew, the FCC is the Federal Communications Commission and it monitors TV and radio output in the States - a sort of broadcast police - while the EPA is the Yanks' so-called Environmental Protection Agency, a body which does exactly the opposite of what it says on the can. (P.S. We went to the same school, you know? Eric and me, that is, not George, Martha, Dick and Condoleeza and me. I don't think they went to school.) P.P.S. Please see below if you are I Like The View, Malc or Doris.

To Make You Laugh and Cry

I was listening to this on a Sunday, the very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither is a Catholic, Tom Lehrer is one of my all-time heroes and this is one of his best.............no other reasons. On a more sombre note (and with thanks to Fish for coming up with this Woman's-Own-passes-the-time-in-the-dentist's-waiting-room nonsense), why not get a computer to tell you that you are a waste of space and your life is a sham of a mockery of a farce? Ok, it's from one of those poxy dating sites but...go on, take the test. You ain't got much to beat!!
This Is My Life, Rated
Life: 4.2
Mind: 4.1
Body: 2.7
Spirit: 8
Friends/Family: 1.6
Love: 0
Finance: 5.9
Take the Rate My Life Quiz
Apparently, in my case, "computer say 'no!'"

I First Saw This When I Was Little - And Loved It! I Hope That Explains a Few Things

Fuck, Fuckety, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck

It has been pointed out to me that, particularly for one whose profession is supposedly literary, my language is getting worse. My use of the "F" word is, I am told, far too prevalent and hence loses impact. To those who share this view I suggest you watch the following:

Tony Blair Isn't a Burglar - But If He Was.........

In the spirit of Gustav Holst's Jupiter and Manfred Mann's Earth Band, I feel like raising a smile today. The Big Green Thing alerted me to this and, for no other reason than to raise a smile on an otherwise crap Wednesday, I think it has to be shared. Grantham shall not have him - when he gets out of prison.

Life On The Edge - No Net.

I was wrong when I feared it might be a dull weekend, what with my pals being away, my soon-to-be ex-wife in rehab and only the dogs to play with. How wrong can a man be? This much fun must surely be illegal? Just click to see the japes and hoots I am having! Click again to see how things got REALLy exciting! Tomorrow we're going to chase pigeons.

The Good Old U.S. of A. - Guardians of Freedom and Democracy. Nothing to Be Scared of, Then?

Be honest........

IT'S THE QUIZ OF THE WEEK! JUST SCROLL DOWN AND HIT "FULL QUIZ".