**********************************************************WHY GRANTHAM? JUST CLICK:
TEXT **********************************************************

Sunday 23 December 2007

The King of the Juice


I was up 'til late last night, doing a spot of home electronics.
I have disconnected the wires in the plug of Mrs Pither's favourite toy. I will pause briefly now to allow the playground titters and lewd comments to die away............it's not THAT toy. That can only be deactivated by an accredited representative of the National Grid, an Ann Summers engineer and two big lads with a wheelbarrow.
No, although it sounds very much as if it is THAT toy, the new love of Mrs Pither's life is in fact a "juicer". Far from being something akin to a nuclear submarine with a naughty bit underneath, the juicer resembles an old wireless with a funnel-affair on the top.
The primary purpose of this piece of consumerist tat is to produce fruit juice. One stuffs cut-up bits of fruit in the top and the juice is collected in a tub at the bottom. Isn't it amazing what they can do these days? There was me thinking that all you had to do was slice an orange or a lemon in half and then squeeze it in your hand and all the time you actually needed a £25.99 hunk of plugged-in plastic which is destined to end up on the gadget scrapheap in the attic within a month.

I have two objections to this device. Firstly, when it's started up the fucking house shakes! It's about as quiet as Ruby Wax in a mangle! The only thing I can accurately liken it to is a road drill in a bucket of blancmange. The racket goes right through you.

My second objection is what Mrs Pither chooses to make with it. You see, she's gone and bought a book! She's not normally allowed out without her probation officer but she must have slipped her lead at some stage and she now lives by "Super Juice - Juicing for Health and Healing".

I have tried hard to convince my pea-brained partner that the principal attribute of fruit juice is that it contains Vitamin C. Vitamin C is quite handy if you want to
fend off the onset of scurvy but, in the absence of plans to sail to the New World in a galleon with a gang of like-minded Elizabethan sailors, it is not all it is cracked up to be. I have consulted the Pithers' holiday planner and no long, ocean voyages in wooden-hulled, historic vessels with people who have been dead for more than 500 years have been pencilled in so I fail to see why we need the juicer. The
author of Mrs P's new Bible, one Michael Van Straten (wasn't he in Dollar or Bucks Fizz or something) is convinced, however, that it is a panacea.

To read this book, you could be mistaken for thinking that medicine and the conventional practice of healthcare to date are now redundant. There are recipes for "power" juices, "cleansing" juices, "detox" juices, "vitality" juices and even "aphrodisiac" juices! I always know where this book is in the house - you can smell the bullshit a mile off.

The underlying principal behind the recipes is that you have to mush up a load of different fruits in different combinations. Now I seem to recall learning from Miss Potter in art class when I was about seven that there is only one colour you get if you mix yellow with orange with green with red. It is the same colour you get if you swirl together pink and purple and lime and black........it's called BROWN!!

Every single one of these supposed miracle cures resembles the contents of ones toilet bowl after 12 pints and a curry! Strangely enough, and of course I can only guess, I suspect that they also all taste roughly the same.

Anyway, Mrs P and I have had full and frank discussions over the last week about the future of the juicer but we have been unable to reach agreement. Mrs P is all for us abandoning all other forms of nutritional intake and living off the output of this device for ever. I am for taking a hammer to the juicer and carrying out some serious percussive maintenance on it - either that or buying some Vaseline, tracking down Mr Van Straten and seeing just how juiced up he gets when it is inserted into him.
The war of wills finally came to a head late last night when Mrs P decided to once again attack some hapless bits of fruit. I was watching Mrs Brown on the Devil's lantern at the time - if anyone knows how it ends, or at least has a text of the dialogue for the last 20 minutes, I would love to hear from them.
I decided that I couldn't take any more and so after my very-soon-to-be ex-wife had swilled her diarrhoea delight and gone to bed I went into action and unwired the plug. Childish, I know. Petty, I know. Obstinate, I know......but effective.
As I write, Mrs P has been fiddling with the juicer in a desperate attempt to find out what is wrong. I have, of course, been accused of sabotage but I have lied convincingly and merely pointed out that it is the will of God. Mrs P is not electro-whizzkid in manner of Pither and so I think it will take her a while to work out why her juices have dried up (insert menopausal gag here). So, as Mrs P continues to hammer and clunk and rattle in the kitchen, I am left feeling that it will be a happy Christmas after all - even though we should be celebrating the birth of the King of the Juice (fnaar, fnaar).
Juicers can go to Grantham.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha ha, great stuff about Juicers - I can't stand the bleedin' things either!!

How are you mate and how is Pad? I've been away in India for a short while and was wondering? Hope you are all well at Pither Towers...

Love,
Big Ears

Anonymous said...

Oh fucking classic, Reg! Is she really in their fiddling with it??? Oh you must be tickled with yourself!! :)

Gin said...

I know if I need a laugh, I just have to stop by here!

I sorta wanted a juicer. In theory it sounds like the perfect addition to my kitchen.

After your description of the vibrations of this device, are you sure that THE JUICER isn't Mrs. Pither's toy of choice for more than one reason?? After all, you said it can really get the juices flowing! We menopausal types will do ANYTHING to make that happen!

Cheers (sorry to be so bawdy, but you caught me in a "mood"!),
Ginni

P.S. Give Padfoot a scruff for me!

FirstNations said...

i was going to wish you a merry crimmus. i really was. right up until that horrible pun about the king of the juice. then all crimmus spirit just departed. just like that. poof. gone.

that was RANK.
RANK, pither.

Anonymous said...

Clearly the recipes for "power" juices don't actually impart a basic understanding of electrical goods.

I just hate it when people fall for the latest health fad. If Mr Van Straten's recipes are that effective, why is he a fat bastard who looks about 95?

BGT

Betty said...

Juicers: complete waste of space in the kitchen, messy, take ages to clean, the novelty wears off after using them for a week. The ideal wedding present, then.

Hope your festive season is relatively stress-free.

The Birdwatcher said...

Mrs BW went through a juicing phase a while back. The emains of the juicer are still in the kitchen. She got all keen and decided that she should make batches of the stuff and fill old plastic bottles and then freeze them. She would occasionally take one out and big it up with all the clever and intersting and asty things she was going to make for us with it. After a week I used to chuck it away as she never got round to doing anything with it. Its a phase,like alot of other things I could mention but won't.
Have a good one - all the best to you and Pad Foot.

fiwa said...

Ok, screw it, I admit it, I fell for the juicer fad. Actually, the juice tastes ok as long as you put in an apple or an orange with the veg. Sadly though, it's sitting on the floor in the garage because it's a bitch to clean it up, and I'm lazy as hell. I like the rewiring trick though, that's hilarious.

I hope you & Pad are having a good Christmas or Mid Winter Festival or whatever. :)

lovins,
f

I, Like The View said...

we had a juicer

he took it

I, Like The View said...

(and YES!! I'm competing with you for the booby prize in "Most Miserable Christmas of the Year Award" 2007 - haven't got anyfuckingthing else to do)

WEDNESDAY, 21 NOVEMBER 2007

SHORTS DON'T MATTER! 1. From the greatest programme ever made about association football, Barnstoneworth United FC manager Mr Dainty delivers one of the finest English soliloqiues of all time.......and afterwards, spare a thought for the club steward's wife Vera (YOU ONLY HAVE TO WATCH HALF OF THE CLIP!!).

Monday, 12 November 2007

Not everyone who agonises over their life is a painter. Some of us agonise because we're NOT painters.

....And On the Subject of Great Public Services

I know most of you have heard this marvellous song by those doctors who are the Amateur Transplants......but I think the video is a nice addition. P.S. If there are kids in the room I'd shuffle them out before hitting play.

...There's More

On the subject of those great doctors, here is their version of More Than Words which presents their challenging views on women outside Watford. The very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither, coming from Cumbria, is a huge fan. Again, get those kids out of the room!

Leave Britney Alone, Ok!!!

Oh...........my............God!!!!! My heartfelt thanks go to BGT for this. I won't say much more, I don't need to. Mr Loony of Loonytown, USA (I think it's a bloke, anyway), says it all. I fear he may be wound too tight for.....well.....well for everywhere, really!

Tuesday, 18 September 2007.

I wish I'd sung this! For non-Americans, and with apologies to all the smart arses out there who already knew, the FCC is the Federal Communications Commission and it monitors TV and radio output in the States - a sort of broadcast police - while the EPA is the Yanks' so-called Environmental Protection Agency, a body which does exactly the opposite of what it says on the can. (P.S. We went to the same school, you know? Eric and me, that is, not George, Martha, Dick and Condoleeza and me. I don't think they went to school.) P.P.S. Please see below if you are I Like The View, Malc or Doris.

To Make You Laugh and Cry

I was listening to this on a Sunday, the very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither is a Catholic, Tom Lehrer is one of my all-time heroes and this is one of his best.............no other reasons. On a more sombre note (and with thanks to Fish for coming up with this Woman's-Own-passes-the-time-in-the-dentist's-waiting-room nonsense), why not get a computer to tell you that you are a waste of space and your life is a sham of a mockery of a farce? Ok, it's from one of those poxy dating sites but...go on, take the test. You ain't got much to beat!!
This Is My Life, Rated
Life: 4.2
Mind: 4.1
Body: 2.7
Spirit: 8
Friends/Family: 1.6
Love: 0
Finance: 5.9
Take the Rate My Life Quiz
Apparently, in my case, "computer say 'no!'"

I First Saw This When I Was Little - And Loved It! I Hope That Explains a Few Things

Fuck, Fuckety, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck

It has been pointed out to me that, particularly for one whose profession is supposedly literary, my language is getting worse. My use of the "F" word is, I am told, far too prevalent and hence loses impact. To those who share this view I suggest you watch the following:

Tony Blair Isn't a Burglar - But If He Was.........

In the spirit of Gustav Holst's Jupiter and Manfred Mann's Earth Band, I feel like raising a smile today. The Big Green Thing alerted me to this and, for no other reason than to raise a smile on an otherwise crap Wednesday, I think it has to be shared. Grantham shall not have him - when he gets out of prison.

Life On The Edge - No Net.

I was wrong when I feared it might be a dull weekend, what with my pals being away, my soon-to-be ex-wife in rehab and only the dogs to play with. How wrong can a man be? This much fun must surely be illegal? Just click to see the japes and hoots I am having! Click again to see how things got REALLy exciting! Tomorrow we're going to chase pigeons.

The Good Old U.S. of A. - Guardians of Freedom and Democracy. Nothing to Be Scared of, Then?

Be honest........

IT'S THE QUIZ OF THE WEEK! JUST SCROLL DOWN AND HIT "FULL QUIZ".