**********************************************************WHY GRANTHAM? JUST CLICK:
TEXT **********************************************************

Sunday 30 December 2007

How Was Your Christmas?


"Oh, you know. Had a few kings and shepherds round, gave birth to the Son of God. Quiet, really."


Content though I am with my very unmerry non-Christmas, the tedium of one festive tradition was beginning to get to me but I have found a way of brightening it up - by becoming a pathological liar in the face of seasonal small talk.

By way of explanation (that's two sentences I've inverted now! Dammit, dammit, dammit!!), let me admit that I have ranted before in this tiny corner of cyberspace about my hatred of "small talk" but, more than at any other time of year, t'is the season for this folly. People can't even be bothered with the old standbys during the festive ferago. You don't seem to hear:
"How are you?" (As if you fucking care and anyway you'd be really fucked if I actually fucking told you!)
"The weather doesn't seem to know what it wants to do." (That would be because it is, in fact, a collection of meteorological parameters and not a sentient being, asswipe! Now piss off out of my bus queue!)
"Will this rain ever stop?" (No, no, no, of course it won't. We'll all be washed away in the cataclysmic flood which is to follow and die horrible, agonising deaths. Still, mustn't grumble, eh?)
"Have you come far?" (Well, considering that five million years ago we were all monocellular lifeforms in the primordial soup, I think we've all done rather well!)

No, all inventiveness goes out of the window at Christmas and there is just one line of small talk for everyone and one stock response:

"Did you have a good Christmas?"
"Not bad - quiet, you know."


You could be forgiven for thinking that the whole sodding planet had turned into the reference section of some galactic library, the amount of "quiet" Christmases that were being had!
I have had enough of these exchanges. I cans't take n'more! The trouble with small talk is that it lacks any kind of imagination. It is a series of stock questions which demand stock answers. That's hardly putting to good use the 10 per cent of the brain we actually have available for cognitive reasoning.
I am keen to get the most possible out of my tithe and so I have taken to dreaming up altogether more interesting and thought provoking replies:

Git: "Did you have a good Christmas?"
Pither: " I'm afraid not. My budgerigar had to have a leg amputated and, what with my infection and the wife doing a five stretch in Holloway, I haven't really seen anyone."

Git 2: "Did you have a good Christmas?"
Pither: "Yes, really good, thanks. We went to Mia Farrow's for our lunch on Christmas Day, as usual, but then on Boxing Day we had the St Winifred's School Choir and John Denver round to our place for nibbles and a game of Twister."

Git 3: "Did you have a good Christmas?"
Pither: "Well, as you know, I'm a senior ranking officer in the Royal Protection Squad so I had to spend the day at Sandringham but the wife and I managed to jet off to Nice on Boxing Day to hook up with Hugh Grant and Arthur Mullard."

Git 4: "Did you have a good Christmas?"
Pither: "It was all a bit hectic, I'm afraid. Our polar bear had a knee infection, my granny contracted typhoid and we had to have our youngest, Nigel, taken into care because he was crayoning on the furniture."

The possibilities are endless. Also, these "pants-on-fire" responses tend to kill the conversation stone dead, unlike the ubiquitous "quiet" response which positively invites the drone you are collared by to come back with something equally banal. Hurrah!

"Quiet" Christmases can go to Grantham.

6 comments:

Gin said...

Okay Reb, er, I mean Reg...your assignment, should you choose to accept it is to get out there, use your new rebellious answers and report back to all of us bored and lonely types as to the reactions from the "gits" on which you use them.

You removed the "nip" pic... This new one is much much better! {ahem}

Have a great, or at least a good day! Hugs to you and Padfoot.

Ginni

Anonymous said...

So, did you have a good Christmas then?

Love
Big Ears

Malcolm Cinnamond said...

What are you doing for New Year?

Vicus Scurra said...

Your verbosity ill becomes you.
A perfect response to the question is:
"Yes, 1974"
I hope that this helps.

Anonymous said...

Hey, was John Denver wearing his wings?

dinahmow said...

Hah! I have used the Vicus response and the come back was: "Oh! But what about this one?" Persistant, some people.
And re: #2...giving odds on how long before the enquirer realises Denver's dead?

What the heck - I hope you and those you care for have a better year this this.

WEDNESDAY, 21 NOVEMBER 2007

SHORTS DON'T MATTER! 1. From the greatest programme ever made about association football, Barnstoneworth United FC manager Mr Dainty delivers one of the finest English soliloqiues of all time.......and afterwards, spare a thought for the club steward's wife Vera (YOU ONLY HAVE TO WATCH HALF OF THE CLIP!!).

Monday, 12 November 2007

Not everyone who agonises over their life is a painter. Some of us agonise because we're NOT painters.

....And On the Subject of Great Public Services

I know most of you have heard this marvellous song by those doctors who are the Amateur Transplants......but I think the video is a nice addition. P.S. If there are kids in the room I'd shuffle them out before hitting play.

...There's More

On the subject of those great doctors, here is their version of More Than Words which presents their challenging views on women outside Watford. The very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither, coming from Cumbria, is a huge fan. Again, get those kids out of the room!

Leave Britney Alone, Ok!!!

Oh...........my............God!!!!! My heartfelt thanks go to BGT for this. I won't say much more, I don't need to. Mr Loony of Loonytown, USA (I think it's a bloke, anyway), says it all. I fear he may be wound too tight for.....well.....well for everywhere, really!

Tuesday, 18 September 2007.

I wish I'd sung this! For non-Americans, and with apologies to all the smart arses out there who already knew, the FCC is the Federal Communications Commission and it monitors TV and radio output in the States - a sort of broadcast police - while the EPA is the Yanks' so-called Environmental Protection Agency, a body which does exactly the opposite of what it says on the can. (P.S. We went to the same school, you know? Eric and me, that is, not George, Martha, Dick and Condoleeza and me. I don't think they went to school.) P.P.S. Please see below if you are I Like The View, Malc or Doris.

To Make You Laugh and Cry

I was listening to this on a Sunday, the very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither is a Catholic, Tom Lehrer is one of my all-time heroes and this is one of his best.............no other reasons. On a more sombre note (and with thanks to Fish for coming up with this Woman's-Own-passes-the-time-in-the-dentist's-waiting-room nonsense), why not get a computer to tell you that you are a waste of space and your life is a sham of a mockery of a farce? Ok, it's from one of those poxy dating sites but...go on, take the test. You ain't got much to beat!!
This Is My Life, Rated
Life: 4.2
Mind: 4.1
Body: 2.7
Spirit: 8
Friends/Family: 1.6
Love: 0
Finance: 5.9
Take the Rate My Life Quiz
Apparently, in my case, "computer say 'no!'"

I First Saw This When I Was Little - And Loved It! I Hope That Explains a Few Things

Fuck, Fuckety, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck

It has been pointed out to me that, particularly for one whose profession is supposedly literary, my language is getting worse. My use of the "F" word is, I am told, far too prevalent and hence loses impact. To those who share this view I suggest you watch the following:

Tony Blair Isn't a Burglar - But If He Was.........

In the spirit of Gustav Holst's Jupiter and Manfred Mann's Earth Band, I feel like raising a smile today. The Big Green Thing alerted me to this and, for no other reason than to raise a smile on an otherwise crap Wednesday, I think it has to be shared. Grantham shall not have him - when he gets out of prison.

Life On The Edge - No Net.

I was wrong when I feared it might be a dull weekend, what with my pals being away, my soon-to-be ex-wife in rehab and only the dogs to play with. How wrong can a man be? This much fun must surely be illegal? Just click to see the japes and hoots I am having! Click again to see how things got REALLy exciting! Tomorrow we're going to chase pigeons.

The Good Old U.S. of A. - Guardians of Freedom and Democracy. Nothing to Be Scared of, Then?

Be honest........

IT'S THE QUIZ OF THE WEEK! JUST SCROLL DOWN AND HIT "FULL QUIZ".