**********************************************************WHY GRANTHAM? JUST CLICK:
TEXT **********************************************************

Thursday 8 February 2007

All White?


Praise God!! I think we've made it! The white-out of doom some believed was foretold in Revelations has struck - but puny mankind has stood up to Mother Nature and the Horsemen of the Apocalypse appear to have fallen at the first........ Yeah, right! What an unadulterated load of crap!!
The news reports yesterday would have had us believe that Britain was on the verge of a climatic disaster to rival the one which drove Noah to go out and build a boat. The first hint I got that things might not have been quite as bad as had first been feared was when I actually woke up this morning - I had thwarted the Angel of Death, I thought. I counted my blessings and switched on the wireless to listen out for advice from our leaders on where us few survivors should try to rally, assuming any of our leaders had made it through the blizzard. Why were there no emergency broadcasts advising us to flee south by whatever means we could? Why was there no information on who was still with us and had a tin of beans and a slice of bread to share? Which port of evacuation to the continent was still serviceable? So many questions, not the least of which was................why the fuck was Nicky Campbell still alive and spouting his usual brand of Jock crap?!
One look out of the window provided me with the answers. Jesus H Christ! Was the snow up to the rooftops? Was it bollocks! I put more sugar on my Frosty Wheatyflakes at breakfast! As for continued downpours, I have experienced worse standing next to someone with bad dandruff in a strong breeze!
No doubt some creatures were suffering. I mean, it must have been an inconvenience for the odd ant or two, trying to trudge through a white carpet which came up to their ankles (ok, ants don't have ankles, but you get my drift - no pun intended). There again, most of their brethren had no doubt stayed indoors and heeded the advice not to travel "unless it is absolutely necessary".
I'm sure there were a few aphids who had to spend an hour or so this morning clearing the snow from their drives. Obviously, Axa Sunlife would have been deluged with claims from protozoans whose fences had collapsed in the "blizzard". Apart from them, I don't think the rest of us were too badly affected.
So, to all those dickheads who went out yesterday and cleared every shop in the land of bread, eggs, cheese and milk, tough titty! Looks like you're going to be eating omelette on toast for the next fortnight. How long do you think it is going to take you to work through that stockpiled mountain of Alphabetti Spaghetti? What exactly are you going to do with the 5,872 candles you bought? Melt them down and fashion a lifesize model of your own stupidity, perhaps?
It's the same old story in this country every time snow is forecast. The same old predictions of doom and the same old non-event consequences. Jesus, even rats learn when they are negatively reinforced enough times. I mean, it makes you wonder how the Inuit get by? Do they rush out every afternoon and stockpile emergency seals just because Radio Eskimo has forecast a white-over - AGAIN? Do they listen to portents of doom every night on the 6 O'Clock News? Do they spend their lives stuck in their igloos because EBC 1 has advised them "not to go out unless it is absolutely necessary"? Je ne pense pas!!!
Oh dear. No, panic caused by "snow blindness" can drift off to Grantham.


NOTE: Since writing this, more snow has fallen. It is now about an-inch-and-a-half deep so apologies to all those ants, aphids and protozoans whose plight I might have underestimated. Is that the distant sound of horsemen I can hear? Quick, has anyone got a spare tin of Alphabetti Spaghetti?

No comments:

WEDNESDAY, 21 NOVEMBER 2007

SHORTS DON'T MATTER! 1. From the greatest programme ever made about association football, Barnstoneworth United FC manager Mr Dainty delivers one of the finest English soliloqiues of all time.......and afterwards, spare a thought for the club steward's wife Vera (YOU ONLY HAVE TO WATCH HALF OF THE CLIP!!).

Monday, 12 November 2007

Not everyone who agonises over their life is a painter. Some of us agonise because we're NOT painters.

....And On the Subject of Great Public Services

I know most of you have heard this marvellous song by those doctors who are the Amateur Transplants......but I think the video is a nice addition. P.S. If there are kids in the room I'd shuffle them out before hitting play.

...There's More

On the subject of those great doctors, here is their version of More Than Words which presents their challenging views on women outside Watford. The very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither, coming from Cumbria, is a huge fan. Again, get those kids out of the room!

Leave Britney Alone, Ok!!!

Oh...........my............God!!!!! My heartfelt thanks go to BGT for this. I won't say much more, I don't need to. Mr Loony of Loonytown, USA (I think it's a bloke, anyway), says it all. I fear he may be wound too tight for.....well.....well for everywhere, really!

Tuesday, 18 September 2007.

I wish I'd sung this! For non-Americans, and with apologies to all the smart arses out there who already knew, the FCC is the Federal Communications Commission and it monitors TV and radio output in the States - a sort of broadcast police - while the EPA is the Yanks' so-called Environmental Protection Agency, a body which does exactly the opposite of what it says on the can. (P.S. We went to the same school, you know? Eric and me, that is, not George, Martha, Dick and Condoleeza and me. I don't think they went to school.) P.P.S. Please see below if you are I Like The View, Malc or Doris.

To Make You Laugh and Cry

I was listening to this on a Sunday, the very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither is a Catholic, Tom Lehrer is one of my all-time heroes and this is one of his best.............no other reasons. On a more sombre note (and with thanks to Fish for coming up with this Woman's-Own-passes-the-time-in-the-dentist's-waiting-room nonsense), why not get a computer to tell you that you are a waste of space and your life is a sham of a mockery of a farce? Ok, it's from one of those poxy dating sites but...go on, take the test. You ain't got much to beat!!
This Is My Life, Rated
Life: 4.2
Mind: 4.1
Body: 2.7
Spirit: 8
Friends/Family: 1.6
Love: 0
Finance: 5.9
Take the Rate My Life Quiz
Apparently, in my case, "computer say 'no!'"

I First Saw This When I Was Little - And Loved It! I Hope That Explains a Few Things

Fuck, Fuckety, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck

It has been pointed out to me that, particularly for one whose profession is supposedly literary, my language is getting worse. My use of the "F" word is, I am told, far too prevalent and hence loses impact. To those who share this view I suggest you watch the following:

Tony Blair Isn't a Burglar - But If He Was.........

In the spirit of Gustav Holst's Jupiter and Manfred Mann's Earth Band, I feel like raising a smile today. The Big Green Thing alerted me to this and, for no other reason than to raise a smile on an otherwise crap Wednesday, I think it has to be shared. Grantham shall not have him - when he gets out of prison.

Life On The Edge - No Net.

I was wrong when I feared it might be a dull weekend, what with my pals being away, my soon-to-be ex-wife in rehab and only the dogs to play with. How wrong can a man be? This much fun must surely be illegal? Just click to see the japes and hoots I am having! Click again to see how things got REALLy exciting! Tomorrow we're going to chase pigeons.

The Good Old U.S. of A. - Guardians of Freedom and Democracy. Nothing to Be Scared of, Then?

Be honest........

IT'S THE QUIZ OF THE WEEK! JUST SCROLL DOWN AND HIT "FULL QUIZ".