**********************************************************WHY GRANTHAM? JUST CLICK:
TEXT **********************************************************

Wednesday 14 February 2007

A Little Learning Is An Infuriating Thing.




Apologies to my Big Green Thing chum but.................I hate pseudo-professional, humourless, nerdy pub quiz teams.
This rant is brought to you courtesy of a supposed pub quiz Orkney-Bound and I went along to last night. It turned out not to be a quiz in the normal sense of the word but was, instead, a Family Fortunes-style test - you know? Name five things George Michael has not rammed up his or anyone else's bottom; Name five things Victoria Beckham has ever eaten, etc.
As the beer flowed, so did the fun. "Name five things designed to be wheeled about", called the quiz master. "Prof. Stephen Hawking and Vanessa Feltz's gut," we scribbled among our answers. "Name five series of books penned by Enid Blyton." "Noddy Gets Down and Dirty" and "Radical Marxist Development and The Workers' Control of Factories in a Neo-capitalist Western Society", we wrote.
Not surprisingly, we didn't win the shellsuit and year's supply of Wife Beater lager which together constituted the first prize up for grabs but, Hell, we had a hoot.
It got me thinking. We had a laugh because EVERYONE else there was having a laugh. There is, however, usually at least ONE team devoid of any chuckle muscles at these nights out - Yes! That fucking pseudo-professional team.
They are nearly always the same. There is a supposed leader who the others look up to in awe. He is the type of insecure wanker who joins Mensa and drones on about how high his IQ is to anyone stupid enough to listen. He is invariably a skinny, bearded, sandal-wearing twat who smokes a pipe, last smiled in 1932 and spends his sad, pathetic existence away from quizzes swotting up on the name of Alexander the Great's favourite goat and who is the 23rd tallest person in Swansea.
He is invariably accompanied by the following: a fat, sweaty, computer geek-type with a schoolboy haircut, two ugly bints - one bloated, the other anorexic - both wearing floral print dresses and "comfortable shoes" and a po-faced, acountanty-looking accountant whose idea of casualwear is his shabby, grey work suit with an acrylic, hideously loud, round-necked pullover worn over his shirt and tie, a la Tories relaxing at a weekend brainstorming session! They are usually teachers, librarians, IT weirdos, accountants, teachers, teachers and teachers!
While everyone else gives their team a name like "Beryl's Bags" or "Nigel's No-Hopers", they jot down some massively pompous Latin or Greek phrase at the top of their answer sheets, smiling smugly to each other every time they do so. (They should, of course, be compelled by law to call themselves Nietsche's No-Marks!)
It's always them who quibble over the answers. "Oh, I think you'll find that Snetterton's Compendium of The Banal lists golf as Attila the Hun's THIRD favourite hobby, NOT his second." Fuck off!!!
Like primary school children, they curl their arms around their answer sheets while writing, in case anyone dares to copy. Fuck off!!!
They always like to be first up with their completed sheets and make snotty comments to each other which are meant to be overheard by everyone, like "It's so easy this week, it's embarrassing". Once again, fuck off!!!
They always win, obviously, but, having pissed everyone off with their pomposity by the end of the evening, they walk up to collect their prize to a complete absence of applause or congratulations.
I have a way of lancing this boil on the bottom of life. Pub quiz prizes should be things which these arseholes would rather die than win. Things like hemorrhoid cream, sweet German white wine, membership of the BNP or a season ticket at Milwall.
They would soon stop turning up, spend their evenings at home instead and consequently realise what meaningless, pathetic existences they were leading and so kill themselves. Harsh but fair.
Fuck 'em. Pro quiz teams can go to Grantham.

No comments:

WEDNESDAY, 21 NOVEMBER 2007

SHORTS DON'T MATTER! 1. From the greatest programme ever made about association football, Barnstoneworth United FC manager Mr Dainty delivers one of the finest English soliloqiues of all time.......and afterwards, spare a thought for the club steward's wife Vera (YOU ONLY HAVE TO WATCH HALF OF THE CLIP!!).

Monday, 12 November 2007

Not everyone who agonises over their life is a painter. Some of us agonise because we're NOT painters.

....And On the Subject of Great Public Services

I know most of you have heard this marvellous song by those doctors who are the Amateur Transplants......but I think the video is a nice addition. P.S. If there are kids in the room I'd shuffle them out before hitting play.

...There's More

On the subject of those great doctors, here is their version of More Than Words which presents their challenging views on women outside Watford. The very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither, coming from Cumbria, is a huge fan. Again, get those kids out of the room!

Leave Britney Alone, Ok!!!

Oh...........my............God!!!!! My heartfelt thanks go to BGT for this. I won't say much more, I don't need to. Mr Loony of Loonytown, USA (I think it's a bloke, anyway), says it all. I fear he may be wound too tight for.....well.....well for everywhere, really!

Tuesday, 18 September 2007.

I wish I'd sung this! For non-Americans, and with apologies to all the smart arses out there who already knew, the FCC is the Federal Communications Commission and it monitors TV and radio output in the States - a sort of broadcast police - while the EPA is the Yanks' so-called Environmental Protection Agency, a body which does exactly the opposite of what it says on the can. (P.S. We went to the same school, you know? Eric and me, that is, not George, Martha, Dick and Condoleeza and me. I don't think they went to school.) P.P.S. Please see below if you are I Like The View, Malc or Doris.

To Make You Laugh and Cry

I was listening to this on a Sunday, the very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither is a Catholic, Tom Lehrer is one of my all-time heroes and this is one of his best.............no other reasons. On a more sombre note (and with thanks to Fish for coming up with this Woman's-Own-passes-the-time-in-the-dentist's-waiting-room nonsense), why not get a computer to tell you that you are a waste of space and your life is a sham of a mockery of a farce? Ok, it's from one of those poxy dating sites but...go on, take the test. You ain't got much to beat!!
This Is My Life, Rated
Life: 4.2
Mind: 4.1
Body: 2.7
Spirit: 8
Friends/Family: 1.6
Love: 0
Finance: 5.9
Take the Rate My Life Quiz
Apparently, in my case, "computer say 'no!'"

I First Saw This When I Was Little - And Loved It! I Hope That Explains a Few Things

Fuck, Fuckety, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck

It has been pointed out to me that, particularly for one whose profession is supposedly literary, my language is getting worse. My use of the "F" word is, I am told, far too prevalent and hence loses impact. To those who share this view I suggest you watch the following:

Tony Blair Isn't a Burglar - But If He Was.........

In the spirit of Gustav Holst's Jupiter and Manfred Mann's Earth Band, I feel like raising a smile today. The Big Green Thing alerted me to this and, for no other reason than to raise a smile on an otherwise crap Wednesday, I think it has to be shared. Grantham shall not have him - when he gets out of prison.

Life On The Edge - No Net.

I was wrong when I feared it might be a dull weekend, what with my pals being away, my soon-to-be ex-wife in rehab and only the dogs to play with. How wrong can a man be? This much fun must surely be illegal? Just click to see the japes and hoots I am having! Click again to see how things got REALLy exciting! Tomorrow we're going to chase pigeons.

The Good Old U.S. of A. - Guardians of Freedom and Democracy. Nothing to Be Scared of, Then?

Be honest........

IT'S THE QUIZ OF THE WEEK! JUST SCROLL DOWN AND HIT "FULL QUIZ".