**********************************************************WHY GRANTHAM? JUST CLICK:
TEXT **********************************************************

Saturday 10 February 2007

Lost........................or......................A Very Unhappy Non-Christmas To You.

I may have said this before but it does seem to be a recurrent theme in my life - you're never ahead for long!
My soon-to-be ex-wife, who returned from a conference in London last night, bounded up to tell me today that she had bought me a Christmas present I would really like. Bit early, I thought. "Bit late," she said. Turns out she bought it for me for Christmas past (just past) but forgot to give it to me.
"How come you forgot to hand it over when I gave you your new rugby boots and the moustache trimmer?" I asked, cheerily. "I hid it," she said. "The trouble was, I forgot where I had hidden it."

Nothing I say from now on will sound like anything other than ungratefulness but this kind of thing is typical of STB EW. She would bag gold medals galore if freestyle losing things was an Olympic event. One of her most often spoken sentences is "Well it was there yesterday". Her most frequent utterance, however, has to be "It just fell apart in my hand".
Anyway, to return to the story, I thought that, late or not, a gift would be very welcome after what has been a difficult week or so. I said that, overwhelmed as I had been by the actual Christmas presents she gave me - socks, a DVD of Sleeping With The Enemy and a self-help book on body odour problems - I would really like to have my belated gift. The ensuing conversation went something like this:
STB EW: "Oh, no, sorry."
Reg: "Any particular reason."
STB EW: "Well I STILL can't remember where I've hidden it."
Reg: "Ah!"
STB EW: "It's really great. You would have loved it."
Reg: "What is........sorry, I'll rephrase that. What WAS it?"
STB EW: "I can't tell you that."
Reg: "Go on, I'll buy it - why?"
STB EW: "Well, that would spoil the surprise.
Reg: "The surprise of only finding out what it is when I open the present I'm not going to get, you mean?"
STB EW: "Yes."
Reg: "Why are to you telling me all this?"
STB EW: "I thought it would cheer you up to know that I had bought you a present?"
Reg: "A present which I'm not allowed to know about and I'm not going to get because no-one knows where it is?"
STB EW: "Yes."
Reg: "Well, you've certainly put my mind at rest on one or two things there and I am obviously feeling much better now, thanks. What's the number for the Samaritans?"
See? Ahead for a brief moment..........then, back to the world of dreams.
Never mind. Losers - and I mean that literally - can go to Grantham, if they can remember where it is.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know it's the not the integral part of that blog entry but: "Well, you've certainly put my mind at rest on one or two things there...!" Bloody brilliant. Reminds me of a couple, well some, actually many, oh alright ALL the times I had to pass on important phone messages or work-related information!!

Aah the good old days - Gangmaster Fat and Cocklepicker Big Ears, I miss those times, much like I missed those vital facts in my stories...!!!

Love
Big Ears

Barry Lawrence said...

....I'll call Bloxwich and Walsall. Shall I call........?

Anonymous said...

(While you're out door knocking the family of a dead pensioner):
"I've got the daughter's phone number. Shall I call her?"

Barry Lawrence said...

You think?!!!!

Anonymous said...

Always remember, YOU created me!

Love
Big Ears

WEDNESDAY, 21 NOVEMBER 2007

SHORTS DON'T MATTER! 1. From the greatest programme ever made about association football, Barnstoneworth United FC manager Mr Dainty delivers one of the finest English soliloqiues of all time.......and afterwards, spare a thought for the club steward's wife Vera (YOU ONLY HAVE TO WATCH HALF OF THE CLIP!!).

Monday, 12 November 2007

Not everyone who agonises over their life is a painter. Some of us agonise because we're NOT painters.

....And On the Subject of Great Public Services

I know most of you have heard this marvellous song by those doctors who are the Amateur Transplants......but I think the video is a nice addition. P.S. If there are kids in the room I'd shuffle them out before hitting play.

...There's More

On the subject of those great doctors, here is their version of More Than Words which presents their challenging views on women outside Watford. The very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither, coming from Cumbria, is a huge fan. Again, get those kids out of the room!

Leave Britney Alone, Ok!!!

Oh...........my............God!!!!! My heartfelt thanks go to BGT for this. I won't say much more, I don't need to. Mr Loony of Loonytown, USA (I think it's a bloke, anyway), says it all. I fear he may be wound too tight for.....well.....well for everywhere, really!

Tuesday, 18 September 2007.

I wish I'd sung this! For non-Americans, and with apologies to all the smart arses out there who already knew, the FCC is the Federal Communications Commission and it monitors TV and radio output in the States - a sort of broadcast police - while the EPA is the Yanks' so-called Environmental Protection Agency, a body which does exactly the opposite of what it says on the can. (P.S. We went to the same school, you know? Eric and me, that is, not George, Martha, Dick and Condoleeza and me. I don't think they went to school.) P.P.S. Please see below if you are I Like The View, Malc or Doris.

To Make You Laugh and Cry

I was listening to this on a Sunday, the very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither is a Catholic, Tom Lehrer is one of my all-time heroes and this is one of his best.............no other reasons. On a more sombre note (and with thanks to Fish for coming up with this Woman's-Own-passes-the-time-in-the-dentist's-waiting-room nonsense), why not get a computer to tell you that you are a waste of space and your life is a sham of a mockery of a farce? Ok, it's from one of those poxy dating sites but...go on, take the test. You ain't got much to beat!!
This Is My Life, Rated
Life: 4.2
Mind: 4.1
Body: 2.7
Spirit: 8
Friends/Family: 1.6
Love: 0
Finance: 5.9
Take the Rate My Life Quiz
Apparently, in my case, "computer say 'no!'"

I First Saw This When I Was Little - And Loved It! I Hope That Explains a Few Things

Fuck, Fuckety, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck

It has been pointed out to me that, particularly for one whose profession is supposedly literary, my language is getting worse. My use of the "F" word is, I am told, far too prevalent and hence loses impact. To those who share this view I suggest you watch the following:

Tony Blair Isn't a Burglar - But If He Was.........

In the spirit of Gustav Holst's Jupiter and Manfred Mann's Earth Band, I feel like raising a smile today. The Big Green Thing alerted me to this and, for no other reason than to raise a smile on an otherwise crap Wednesday, I think it has to be shared. Grantham shall not have him - when he gets out of prison.

Life On The Edge - No Net.

I was wrong when I feared it might be a dull weekend, what with my pals being away, my soon-to-be ex-wife in rehab and only the dogs to play with. How wrong can a man be? This much fun must surely be illegal? Just click to see the japes and hoots I am having! Click again to see how things got REALLy exciting! Tomorrow we're going to chase pigeons.

The Good Old U.S. of A. - Guardians of Freedom and Democracy. Nothing to Be Scared of, Then?

Be honest........

IT'S THE QUIZ OF THE WEEK! JUST SCROLL DOWN AND HIT "FULL QUIZ".