**********************************************************WHY GRANTHAM? JUST CLICK:
TEXT **********************************************************

Wednesday 3 October 2007

Do You Want Bio-Calm With That Order?











I have been unwell today - digestively and cerebrally unwell. My body, as I am sure you are aware, was always a temple but I'm sorry to report that it has been sacked by bacterial bandits.
I was awoken at around 4am by those little Numbskull men with shovels (remember them?) shovelling feverishly and they spent the next five hours working flat out in an effort to clear out anything in my digestive tract through one of the two orifices available for emergency evacuations.
The bomb doors were flung open on a couple of other occasions after that but, by and large, the rest of the day was spent in a state of exhaustion, trying to persuade those other little Numbskull men, the ones with hammers, to stop carrying out percussive maintenance on the inside of my head.
This pathetic state of affairs was, as usual, all my own fault. You see, I cocked a snook at one of the four basic rules of life:

1. Never play cards with someone named after an American state, e.g. Texas.
2. Never start a land war in Asia.
3. Never box above your own weight.
4. Never, EVER, go drinking with the BGT!!!

The BGT is a big pal of mine and last night we decided to nip out together for a couple of late pints. Now that is almost unheard of for the pair of us. We never normally hit the sauce in the week but, having both endured long and stressful days at work, we decided that it could do no harm on this one occasion.
We got into the Lachrymose Loyalist shortly after 9pm - late enough for the evening not to turn silly, or so we thought - and spent a couple of hours putting the world to rights, puzzling over the inability of our young tennis players to break through at international level and bemoaning the demise of Wagon Wheels.
Like Skinner-conditioned rats, we duly drained the last of our pints when the bell rang and made our way outside in search of taxis to take us home - and that is where everything started to go wrong!
For reasons of taste, decency and the libel laws, I won't go into detail but it is suffice to say that we ended up in a Disco/Thrash/Boom-boom/Cattle Market in the centre of Small Town, swilling £3 pints and copious amounts of vodka cola. I have no idea when the Numbskull men in charge of sense and reasoning began shouting from within but at some stage we decided things had gone a bit silly and it was time to call time on ourselves.
We said our goodbyes, exchanged the customary post-blow-out pleasantry - namely "You're my best mate, you are - hic!" - and then, Red Arrows-like, went our separate ways. That's when I made the second big mistake of the evening.
Like a bear emerging from its winter hibernation, I was hungrier than a hungry thing and so went in search of emergency vitals. Now this may come as a surprise to the tea-total among you, but there are no Michelin-starred restaurants open at around the same time as milkmen up and down the country are loading up their vans. The result is you have to make do with............burger, kebab, pizza or chicken shacks.
In hindsight, I don't think it would have mattered which one I chose. As it happened, I went for the poultry option. I staggered into a grotty but insanely and intensely lit fast-food joint (called something like Squits, Chicken 'n' Chuck or The Flaming Arsehole) and then engaged a charming Armenian gentlemen in conversation while ordering what was billed as "Southern Fried Chicken".
Looking back, I realise that the description "Southern" referred to the fact that the pieces of chicken I ate had apparently been picked up off the floor before being warmed through over a candle. Either that or they had been involved in a bloody civil war and lost! I mean, do chickens really have four legs and a tail? The trouble is, at that hour of the morning (whatever it was), packed to the rafters with vodka and beer, you will eat fucking anything!...and so you do!!
Cut to the wee small hours of this morning and the beginning of my story. When will I ever learn? The BGT thoughtfully rang me at 8am to let me know he was still alive - he's caring like that - and to fill me in on episodes from the evening in which I was involved but of which I had no memory.
I'm not entirely sure what to send to Grantham. Middle-aged idiocy, perhaps? Good intentions? Mid-week drinking? I think fast-food and those God-awful late night suicide sustenance joints will have to go for a start.

9 comments:

The Birdwatcher said...

Pither you have made an old man happy. A wonderful description of that best of nights out the unplanned.A word from the wise - never go for the chicken, lamb yes beef yes kebab (cat) yes but chicken no never ever!

Anonymous said...

Yep, that was one of the silliest and funniest nights I've had for a while. And on a Tuesday too.

Luckily for me I managed to avoid all the solid options for ingestion and as a result all I had to deal with in the morning was a hangover, albeit a fairly bad one. Still, it could have been one heck of a lot worse, eh?

Let's do it all again at the weekend.

BGT

Barry Lawrence said...

BW,

Thanks for the dietary advice - what a pity you weren't in the Ruptured Colon just before I placed my order.

BGT,

Get thee behind me, Satan!

Arabella said...

Well I was feeling very sorry for you only to learn you brought it all on yourself!
I was convinced you'd go for the kebab......

Barry Lawrence said...

Arabella,

Talking of near death experiences, I thought you'd rolled a seven!! Where have you been? Good to have you back, however.

I, Like The View said...

I've never eaten a Wagon Wheel, but for some reason that thought has made me burst into song

Rollin' Rollin' Rollin'

Keep movin', movin', movin',
Though they're disapprovin',
Keep them doggies movin' Rawhide!
Don't try to understand 'em,
Just rope and throw and grab 'em,
Soon we'll be living high and wide.
Boy my heart's calculatin'
My true love will be waitin', be waiting at the end of my ride.

Move 'em on, head 'em up,
Head 'em up, move 'em out,
Move 'em on, head 'em out Rawhide!
Set 'em out, ride 'em in
Ride 'em in, let 'em out,
Cut 'em out, ride 'em in Rawhide.

Rollin', rollin', rollin'
Rollin', rollin', rollin'
Rollin', rollin', rollin'
Rollin', rollin', rollin'
Rawhide!

Rollin', rollin', rollin'
Though the streams are swollen
Keep them dogies rollin'
Rawhide!
Rain and wind and weather
Hell-bent for leather
Wishin' my gal was by my side.
All the things I'm missin',
Good vittles, love, and kissin',
Are waiting at the end of my ride

Move 'em on, head 'em up
Head 'em up, move 'em on
Move 'em on, head 'em up
Rawhide
Count 'em out, ride 'em in,
Ride 'em in, count 'em out,
Count 'em out, ride 'em in
Rawhide!

Keep movin', movin', movin'
Though they're disapprovin'
Keep them dogies movin'
Rawhide!
Don't try to understand 'em
Just rope, throw, and brand 'em
Soon we'll be living high and wide.
My hearts calculatin'
My true love will be waitin',
Be waitin' at the end of my ride.

Rawhide!
Rawhide!


just thought I'd share that with you

:-)

Fish said...

The mistake you actually made, was not having a whisky in the end. Or a Snaps. If you dont have any, I'll send you some. No food will make you sick with a Snaps on top.
Oh hell, I'm getting a drink.

Doris said...

Oh, poor Reg! It may be self-induced but it still seems a fairly steep price to pay for a bit of a night out.

Barry Lawrence said...

Thanks for all the underserved sympathy.
As usual, I Like the View hits the right spiritual note.....and Doris is the only one who understands me.

WEDNESDAY, 21 NOVEMBER 2007

SHORTS DON'T MATTER! 1. From the greatest programme ever made about association football, Barnstoneworth United FC manager Mr Dainty delivers one of the finest English soliloqiues of all time.......and afterwards, spare a thought for the club steward's wife Vera (YOU ONLY HAVE TO WATCH HALF OF THE CLIP!!).

Monday, 12 November 2007

Not everyone who agonises over their life is a painter. Some of us agonise because we're NOT painters.

....And On the Subject of Great Public Services

I know most of you have heard this marvellous song by those doctors who are the Amateur Transplants......but I think the video is a nice addition. P.S. If there are kids in the room I'd shuffle them out before hitting play.

...There's More

On the subject of those great doctors, here is their version of More Than Words which presents their challenging views on women outside Watford. The very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither, coming from Cumbria, is a huge fan. Again, get those kids out of the room!

Leave Britney Alone, Ok!!!

Oh...........my............God!!!!! My heartfelt thanks go to BGT for this. I won't say much more, I don't need to. Mr Loony of Loonytown, USA (I think it's a bloke, anyway), says it all. I fear he may be wound too tight for.....well.....well for everywhere, really!

Tuesday, 18 September 2007.

I wish I'd sung this! For non-Americans, and with apologies to all the smart arses out there who already knew, the FCC is the Federal Communications Commission and it monitors TV and radio output in the States - a sort of broadcast police - while the EPA is the Yanks' so-called Environmental Protection Agency, a body which does exactly the opposite of what it says on the can. (P.S. We went to the same school, you know? Eric and me, that is, not George, Martha, Dick and Condoleeza and me. I don't think they went to school.) P.P.S. Please see below if you are I Like The View, Malc or Doris.

To Make You Laugh and Cry

I was listening to this on a Sunday, the very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither is a Catholic, Tom Lehrer is one of my all-time heroes and this is one of his best.............no other reasons. On a more sombre note (and with thanks to Fish for coming up with this Woman's-Own-passes-the-time-in-the-dentist's-waiting-room nonsense), why not get a computer to tell you that you are a waste of space and your life is a sham of a mockery of a farce? Ok, it's from one of those poxy dating sites but...go on, take the test. You ain't got much to beat!!
This Is My Life, Rated
Life: 4.2
Mind: 4.1
Body: 2.7
Spirit: 8
Friends/Family: 1.6
Love: 0
Finance: 5.9
Take the Rate My Life Quiz
Apparently, in my case, "computer say 'no!'"

I First Saw This When I Was Little - And Loved It! I Hope That Explains a Few Things

Fuck, Fuckety, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck

It has been pointed out to me that, particularly for one whose profession is supposedly literary, my language is getting worse. My use of the "F" word is, I am told, far too prevalent and hence loses impact. To those who share this view I suggest you watch the following:

Tony Blair Isn't a Burglar - But If He Was.........

In the spirit of Gustav Holst's Jupiter and Manfred Mann's Earth Band, I feel like raising a smile today. The Big Green Thing alerted me to this and, for no other reason than to raise a smile on an otherwise crap Wednesday, I think it has to be shared. Grantham shall not have him - when he gets out of prison.

Life On The Edge - No Net.

I was wrong when I feared it might be a dull weekend, what with my pals being away, my soon-to-be ex-wife in rehab and only the dogs to play with. How wrong can a man be? This much fun must surely be illegal? Just click to see the japes and hoots I am having! Click again to see how things got REALLy exciting! Tomorrow we're going to chase pigeons.

The Good Old U.S. of A. - Guardians of Freedom and Democracy. Nothing to Be Scared of, Then?

Be honest........

IT'S THE QUIZ OF THE WEEK! JUST SCROLL DOWN AND HIT "FULL QUIZ".