**********************************************************WHY GRANTHAM? JUST CLICK:
TEXT **********************************************************

Sunday 21 October 2007

Saint Or Sinner?











Well, that was fun! Lucky pants, lucky shoes and lucky shirt.....all to no avail. It was indeed a bridge too far - but still an exciting game and surely the best rugby World Cup tournament to date. Summat to be proud of at last.
I watched the game at the best pub in the world and a good time was had by all, regardless of the result. In true Birdwatcher fashion, however, I found myself double booked and so at 10pm had to decamp and make a beeline for another pub for a reunion of hacks from a paper I used to work on 13 years ago. There was a late bar in an upstairs room and so the levels were never in danger of dropping too dramatically.
Anyway, I had been there about five minutes and was still in full "Good God! I thought you were dead!!" greetings mode when an attractive woman sidled over to me to say hello. "Hi!" I said, effusively, "How's things?" "I'm fine," she said, "considering you stood me up."
"Yes, well, I'm glad to hear.........what??!?!!"
"You stood me up."
"I'm afraid I don't....I mean....I can't....I mean....what??!?"
"You arranged to meet me in town for a coffee but you never showed up."
"Lord! Sorry about that. Still, time's a great healer, isn't it?"
Jesus!! The smell of boiling rabbit was beginning to fill the air. Was she armed? I was praying the cutlery for the buffet was plastic. After all, I'd left the paper 13 bloody years ago! If that had been the only thing on her mind over the ensuing time then I had a Meryl Streep situation on my hands. It got worse....
"Sorry for asking. I mean, my memory's not what it was, but....well....when exactly was this?"
"1977."
OH FUCK!! OH HOLY JESUS!! SOMEBODY HELP ME, PLEASE!!! I was fucking 17 in 1977! What was going on? Then the mists started to clear. It turned out that she used to hang around with a crowd I did when I was a teenager. She was, as I remember, a quiet, pleasant, pretty little lass but I didn't recall ever trying to ruin her life with the "fancy a coffee some time" prelude to an assault on the north face of her pants.
"Why didn't you show up?" she persisted, alarmingly.
I panicked. I resorted to the old standby - make 'em laugh.
"I don't like coffee," I said.
Not the best gambit I could have chosen, it turned out.
"Then why did you ask me to go for one?"
And some fell on stony ground. Time for Plan B.
"Would you like a sausage roll?"
"No. I waited for two hours."
"Oh, I can get one much quicker than that. They're only over there."
"I forgave you, though."
Thank fuck for that!!
"Goodo. Can I get you a drink? Not a coffee, obviously."
We fell to chatting properly and it turned out that that she was living in Cyprus, had a little one but her significant other had buggered off......I was dying to say "did he nip out for a coffee and just not come back?" but managed to bite my lip in time.
A nice lass - as she always was - but not great on things to say when you haven't seen someone for 13 years.
"I'm stopping at a hotel in town," she said as the night neared its end. "Would you like a nightcap?"
Those two little men suddenly climbed onto my shoulders. You know?......
The little white one with the harp and wings saying "No, no! It's just mindless, meaningless sex without feeling or involvement. You are a beast. Don't even think about it. You are an awful man. You're taking advantage. Haven't you done enough to ruin this poor girl's life? Be a gentleman. Take her back in a taxi and just give her a peck on the cheek goodnight."
Then there was the little red one with the pointy tale and the horns saying "Go on! Fuck her brains out!! Of course it's mindless, meaningless sex without feeling or involvement. That's why you should dip your wick. She's lonely and awash with nostalgia. Her pants are hanging by a thread. You know you want to. Go on!!! Do it!!!!!"
I shall leave the story there. I am too much of either a) a gentleman or b) a sexual inadequate to say more.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

She sounds like a complete headcase. LEAVE NOW BEFORE SHE GETS HER CLAWS INTO YOU!!

FirstNations said...

i hope you went for it. please tell me that there is one single man on my blogroll that's gotten more than a cold shoulder in the last year!!!!

I, Like The View said...

*running out of breath*

*almost. . .




. . .






. . .








GASP*


I can't stand the suspense!!! WHAT HAPPENS NEXT!!!!

you see, I need to know this kind of thing - just in case I ever bump into that tw*t who never turned up for the coffee date we arranged twenty years ago, for whom I am still patiently waiting

you could be the (there is a technical word for this, someone who is sent out ahead of the rest, kind of like a scout)(maybe the word I'm looking for is scout?) advance party scout. . .

and your blog could be full of tips and hints for the newly single 40-something person who hasn't a clue about the dating scene in the C21st

kind of a like a reverse My Boyriend Is A Twat (not that I've ever read it)

This Man Is A Godsend - how about that!

I seriously hope (for those of us who have no chance of their shoulder angels/devils EVER having something to get their teeth into) that you and she shagged each other's brains out

and both came at the same time

and and and

*exasperated huff*

I, Like The View said...

(I love that horse - she wears her youth on her sleeve like many well earned brownie badges)

garfer said...

Total bunny bolier.

Run.

The Birdwatcher said...

Yes a seriously disturbed lady. Adds a certain element of danger to the whole thing though. Will you wake up and enjoy a leisurely breakfast or wake up and find yourself chained to the bed posts?

Barry Lawrence said...

Thank you all for the worldly advice.
And our survey said............(with apologies to First Nations - I'll try harder next time)...........ah aarrrrrgh!! No I didn't. Galantry and gentlemanly conduct aside, I couldn't even raise a smile by that stage of the evening. She could have had me!

Anonymous said...

Sounded like a good opportunity too get rid of all your tensons! The magic word hotel( does not live in the some place as you) give a wrong telephone number and don't go to anymore reunions. yours edna, Mrs.

WEDNESDAY, 21 NOVEMBER 2007

SHORTS DON'T MATTER! 1. From the greatest programme ever made about association football, Barnstoneworth United FC manager Mr Dainty delivers one of the finest English soliloqiues of all time.......and afterwards, spare a thought for the club steward's wife Vera (YOU ONLY HAVE TO WATCH HALF OF THE CLIP!!).

Monday, 12 November 2007

Not everyone who agonises over their life is a painter. Some of us agonise because we're NOT painters.

....And On the Subject of Great Public Services

I know most of you have heard this marvellous song by those doctors who are the Amateur Transplants......but I think the video is a nice addition. P.S. If there are kids in the room I'd shuffle them out before hitting play.

...There's More

On the subject of those great doctors, here is their version of More Than Words which presents their challenging views on women outside Watford. The very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither, coming from Cumbria, is a huge fan. Again, get those kids out of the room!

Leave Britney Alone, Ok!!!

Oh...........my............God!!!!! My heartfelt thanks go to BGT for this. I won't say much more, I don't need to. Mr Loony of Loonytown, USA (I think it's a bloke, anyway), says it all. I fear he may be wound too tight for.....well.....well for everywhere, really!

Tuesday, 18 September 2007.

I wish I'd sung this! For non-Americans, and with apologies to all the smart arses out there who already knew, the FCC is the Federal Communications Commission and it monitors TV and radio output in the States - a sort of broadcast police - while the EPA is the Yanks' so-called Environmental Protection Agency, a body which does exactly the opposite of what it says on the can. (P.S. We went to the same school, you know? Eric and me, that is, not George, Martha, Dick and Condoleeza and me. I don't think they went to school.) P.P.S. Please see below if you are I Like The View, Malc or Doris.

To Make You Laugh and Cry

I was listening to this on a Sunday, the very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither is a Catholic, Tom Lehrer is one of my all-time heroes and this is one of his best.............no other reasons. On a more sombre note (and with thanks to Fish for coming up with this Woman's-Own-passes-the-time-in-the-dentist's-waiting-room nonsense), why not get a computer to tell you that you are a waste of space and your life is a sham of a mockery of a farce? Ok, it's from one of those poxy dating sites but...go on, take the test. You ain't got much to beat!!
This Is My Life, Rated
Life: 4.2
Mind: 4.1
Body: 2.7
Spirit: 8
Friends/Family: 1.6
Love: 0
Finance: 5.9
Take the Rate My Life Quiz
Apparently, in my case, "computer say 'no!'"

I First Saw This When I Was Little - And Loved It! I Hope That Explains a Few Things

Fuck, Fuckety, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck

It has been pointed out to me that, particularly for one whose profession is supposedly literary, my language is getting worse. My use of the "F" word is, I am told, far too prevalent and hence loses impact. To those who share this view I suggest you watch the following:

Tony Blair Isn't a Burglar - But If He Was.........

In the spirit of Gustav Holst's Jupiter and Manfred Mann's Earth Band, I feel like raising a smile today. The Big Green Thing alerted me to this and, for no other reason than to raise a smile on an otherwise crap Wednesday, I think it has to be shared. Grantham shall not have him - when he gets out of prison.

Life On The Edge - No Net.

I was wrong when I feared it might be a dull weekend, what with my pals being away, my soon-to-be ex-wife in rehab and only the dogs to play with. How wrong can a man be? This much fun must surely be illegal? Just click to see the japes and hoots I am having! Click again to see how things got REALLy exciting! Tomorrow we're going to chase pigeons.

The Good Old U.S. of A. - Guardians of Freedom and Democracy. Nothing to Be Scared of, Then?

Be honest........

IT'S THE QUIZ OF THE WEEK! JUST SCROLL DOWN AND HIT "FULL QUIZ".