**********************************************************WHY GRANTHAM? JUST CLICK:
TEXT **********************************************************

Sunday 28 October 2007

Little Brain, You've Had A Busy Day.


Homer alone? Not quite!

The very small piece of brain lodged in the very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither's head is causing her trouble again.
I keep urging her to have it removed because, if nothing else, it's a fire hazard. I mean, it's only a matter of time before it short circuits and sets alight all the alcohol-soaked cotton wool, sawdust and pieces of shredded newspaper which pack out the rest of her skull. Mrs P has, however, grown attached to this sliver of tissue and does, in truth, rely on it for autonomic nervous system functions such as digestion and phoning people up for no fucking reason.
Against my better advice, VSTB EW decided to call on this tiny, cranial collection of cells when she did some work on my laptop yesterday morning. Mrs P, having the touch of a rapist, HAS to use a mouse instead of the touchpad and that prompted the following exchanges between lounge and study (I swear the following is true):
"How do you plug it in?" bellowed the bewildered spouse.
"It's wireless, doombrain!!" I shouted back.
"Aaah!! That's clever, isn't it?"
"It certainly never ceases to amaze me."
"It still doesn't work."
"Have you put the wireless plug in the computer?"
"I thought there wasn't a plug."
"THE WIRELESS PLUG!!!!"
"What's a wireless plug?"
"It's a little, oblong piece of plastic with an oblong piece of metal at the end."
"Aah!!............where's the wireless plug."
"On the bottom of the mouse."
"..............uurmm..........uurmm.........no it isn't."
I tramped upstairs to the study, turned the mouse upside down and revealed to the awestruck Mrs P the plug, in a little recess, stuck on a magnet.
"Wow!! That's clever, isn't it?"
I had got halfway back down the stairs when I heard the almost predictable "How on earth do you plug it in?"
Relax, focus, breathe and count to ten, I thought to myself. I trudged back upstairs to find...TRUST ME, THIS IS TRUE...Mrs P repeatedly sliding the mouse over the edge of the computer in a forelorn effort to get the plug underneath to somehow slot into it!!!!
"No, not quite, dear," I said. "The slight error you've made is not to take the plug off the mouse first. See?"
"Wow, that's clever, isn't it?"
"Yes dear. It is, indeed, almost mind boggling. Can I go back downstairs now?"
"Yes. Thanks. I'm ok now."
That'll be the bloody day, I thought. Sure enough, not 30 seconds later, she shouted down "Where do I plug it in?"
'In your fucking head' would be a start, I thought, beginning to get mildly annoyed. "Put it in one of the USB ports!!!!"
There was an ominous silence for a couple of minutes. Now, sometimes it is more comforting to hear VSTB EW wittering on than it is to experience the dreaded silence. You see, whenever there is silence I picture Mrs P, with her tongue lolling out of the side of her mouth and her brow furrowed, concentrating on trying TO DO something - something she shouldn't be doing!!! I was right to worry. The silence was soon broken.
"TAP, KNOCK, KNOCK, BASH, BASH, CRACK, TAP, BASH!!!!!!"
I panicked. "JESUS...H...FUCKING...CHRIST!!! That don't sound right!!" I thought to myself. "What the fuck is going on?"
I raced upstairs and burst into the study to find.......wait for it.......Mrs P using the mouse in an attempt to HAMMER THE WIRELESS PLUG INTO A PHONE SOCKET on the laptop!!!!
"It doesn't fit," she wailed.
"And nor will anything else now! You've also cracked the bleedin' mouse!! Brilliant!!!"
Yes, the phone plug socket is now bent so much it is unusable and the mouse is currently being held together with Sellotape!
My very-soon-to-be unbetrothed's piece of brain sadly kicked in a couple of times more before yesterday was out, notably when she drove to pick me up from doing the shopping in the village. She duly pulled up outside the greengrocer's as arranged but, as the shop assistant and I staggered towards the car with about ten bags of shopping and I reached for the door handle, she promptly drove off, leaving me, said assistant and said groceries standing on the pavement in the rain - for half an hour!!! She finally returned and, when I asked "Why did you drive off, my dearest?" she replied "Oh, I'd just remembered that I needed to go to the Post Office."
As far as Mrs P is concerned, there is truth in that old line "If you had a brain you'd be dangerous". Grantham shall not have her, however.

7 comments:

Vicus Scurra said...

I am sure that when you have calmed down, you will be able to write that lovely essay about all of the wonderful things that she does to make yours an ideal marriage.

The Birdwatcher said...

Presumably there is no danger of the STBEW reading your blog? I guess even if she did she wouldn't understand it. It would be interesting to be a fly on the wall if you tried to explain what a blog was though.

I have to be careful because Mrs BW reads mine and pulls me up on gramatical mistakes. Not that it makes any difference.

Anonymous said...

AAARGH AARGH AARGH!

People who just CANNOT use computers is one of my pet hates. This is an extreme example to be sure, but really some people just need to stop running in circles screaming and just sit and have a think about ti for a tiny bit. I mean they ARE logical, THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT. And yes they do silly things sometimes but all you have to do is think 'if I were a computer trapped in the iron-stiff reins of logic, what would i do?' and hey presto - you can use a computer even when it goes wrong. No training required. AAARGH AARGH AARGH!

I wonder if Mrs P ever had that toy when you're a baby that has the different shaped bricks to go in the different shaped holes. That's pretty much the problem, non?

FirstNations said...

i hope, perhaps in vain, that this is all jolly hyperbole...at any rate i've passes a mouthfull of cheap lager through my sinuses and made a mess of my desktop. pardon me while i get a dishtowel.

garfer said...

It's the little things like this that you will look back on wistfully as you sit in an old folks home dribbling Ovaltine down your chin.

"You don't know what you've got till its gone" (as the big toothed Joni Mitchell once sang).

I, Like The View said...

is this the one and the same lady who distressed you recently by losing the smoking thing in your car. . .

(I've already had a lobotomy, that's my excuse)

. . .and you LET HER USE YOUR LAPTOP!!!!

yee gods man

you are a generous soul

Grantham shall never have you, but when you get there - in a few more score years and ten - the pearly gates will surely be thrown open to welcome you into a heaven full of naked vestal virgins with questionable morals, armed with cans/glasses of your favourite brew and Indian take-aways or a selection of kebabs, for your personal delectation*. . .

:-)

(*or whatever it is you blokes dream off)

Zig said...

yes I can see why you're VSTB EH

WEDNESDAY, 21 NOVEMBER 2007

SHORTS DON'T MATTER! 1. From the greatest programme ever made about association football, Barnstoneworth United FC manager Mr Dainty delivers one of the finest English soliloqiues of all time.......and afterwards, spare a thought for the club steward's wife Vera (YOU ONLY HAVE TO WATCH HALF OF THE CLIP!!).

Monday, 12 November 2007

Not everyone who agonises over their life is a painter. Some of us agonise because we're NOT painters.

....And On the Subject of Great Public Services

I know most of you have heard this marvellous song by those doctors who are the Amateur Transplants......but I think the video is a nice addition. P.S. If there are kids in the room I'd shuffle them out before hitting play.

...There's More

On the subject of those great doctors, here is their version of More Than Words which presents their challenging views on women outside Watford. The very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither, coming from Cumbria, is a huge fan. Again, get those kids out of the room!

Leave Britney Alone, Ok!!!

Oh...........my............God!!!!! My heartfelt thanks go to BGT for this. I won't say much more, I don't need to. Mr Loony of Loonytown, USA (I think it's a bloke, anyway), says it all. I fear he may be wound too tight for.....well.....well for everywhere, really!

Tuesday, 18 September 2007.

I wish I'd sung this! For non-Americans, and with apologies to all the smart arses out there who already knew, the FCC is the Federal Communications Commission and it monitors TV and radio output in the States - a sort of broadcast police - while the EPA is the Yanks' so-called Environmental Protection Agency, a body which does exactly the opposite of what it says on the can. (P.S. We went to the same school, you know? Eric and me, that is, not George, Martha, Dick and Condoleeza and me. I don't think they went to school.) P.P.S. Please see below if you are I Like The View, Malc or Doris.

To Make You Laugh and Cry

I was listening to this on a Sunday, the very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither is a Catholic, Tom Lehrer is one of my all-time heroes and this is one of his best.............no other reasons. On a more sombre note (and with thanks to Fish for coming up with this Woman's-Own-passes-the-time-in-the-dentist's-waiting-room nonsense), why not get a computer to tell you that you are a waste of space and your life is a sham of a mockery of a farce? Ok, it's from one of those poxy dating sites but...go on, take the test. You ain't got much to beat!!
This Is My Life, Rated
Life: 4.2
Mind: 4.1
Body: 2.7
Spirit: 8
Friends/Family: 1.6
Love: 0
Finance: 5.9
Take the Rate My Life Quiz
Apparently, in my case, "computer say 'no!'"

I First Saw This When I Was Little - And Loved It! I Hope That Explains a Few Things

Fuck, Fuckety, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck

It has been pointed out to me that, particularly for one whose profession is supposedly literary, my language is getting worse. My use of the "F" word is, I am told, far too prevalent and hence loses impact. To those who share this view I suggest you watch the following:

Tony Blair Isn't a Burglar - But If He Was.........

In the spirit of Gustav Holst's Jupiter and Manfred Mann's Earth Band, I feel like raising a smile today. The Big Green Thing alerted me to this and, for no other reason than to raise a smile on an otherwise crap Wednesday, I think it has to be shared. Grantham shall not have him - when he gets out of prison.

Life On The Edge - No Net.

I was wrong when I feared it might be a dull weekend, what with my pals being away, my soon-to-be ex-wife in rehab and only the dogs to play with. How wrong can a man be? This much fun must surely be illegal? Just click to see the japes and hoots I am having! Click again to see how things got REALLy exciting! Tomorrow we're going to chase pigeons.

The Good Old U.S. of A. - Guardians of Freedom and Democracy. Nothing to Be Scared of, Then?

Be honest........

IT'S THE QUIZ OF THE WEEK! JUST SCROLL DOWN AND HIT "FULL QUIZ".