**********************************************************WHY GRANTHAM? JUST CLICK:
TEXT **********************************************************

Saturday 12 January 2008

Dropping A Bollock (Or Two)?


What did you do yesterday?
Work, more than likely? A bit of shopping for the weekend? Went for a POETS Day pint, perhaps? Well, spare a thought for an acquaintance of mine.......he went and got his bollocks cut off!
The whole concept baffles me! I mean, for a start, had he written it in his diary? Is it the sort of appointment you are likely to forget?

"FRIDAY, JANUARY 11 (Spring Tide in Barcelona. Theodora crowned Empress of the Byzantine Empire in 1055)........10.30am. MUST! MUST!! MUST!!! Get testicles removed!"

Do you think he found himself chatting to someone in the morning when he suddenly exclaimed: "Shit!! Sorry mate, I've gotta dash! I've just remembered, I'm supposed to be having me nadgers lopped off. Catch yer later."?

Before this rambling expression of incredulity goes any further I suppose I had better explain. You see, this guy wasn't just bored. It wasn't something to do to liven up an otherwise dull day. No, the operation (or was it a "procedure"?) was a metaphorical milestone at the end of a long road for him. Simultaneously, it was the ribbon-cutting ceremony on a brand new highway he will be travelling down from now on - only it wasn't ribbon which got cut!
You see, this chap, for a long time now, has felt like a woman. Well, haven't we all? I, for a start, could do with one right now! The trouble is, he not only felt like a woman - he wanted to BE one!
Standing 6ft 4ins tall and having a hairy chest, not tits and facial stubble does not really mark you out from the start as being would-be Miss World material (although I remember being very dubious about Miss Venezuela in 1972!). There are, however, ways around some of that. I gather he's been undergoing years of hormone treatment to grow gazongas. Now that bit I can get my mind around. God! I'd love to have my own - cut out the middle woman! The rest of it I am not so certain about. I think they pumped him full of oestrogen (or did they suck out testosterone, a bit like bleeding the brakes on your car?). Whatever they did, it banished his bodily hair and gradually gave him the complete inability to read a map or walk past shoe shops. There was, however, not much they could do about his height, short of amputating his legs below the knee, but I suppose Jerry Hall gets away with basketball player-stature and so it CAN work.
So far so good. He had been wearing women's clothes in the company of close friends for quite a while but, so confident was he of his chest furniture and new, streamlined look that he ventured out in his new persona to a party I attended. He had an eye-catching, knee-length frock and was made up to the nines. I was sorely tempted to ask "So, what's it really like having tits?" but I was on my best behaviour all night and chatted instead to him about life, the universe and everything, while telling him intermittently that he looked really good. I was, of course, lying. Sadly, he looked, as do almost all blokes outside Bangkok who dress up as women, like.................well...........like............like a bloke in a dress!

Anyway, that was last September. It had obviously been explained to him at the time that only two things then stood between him and full access to the ladies toilets in pubs - and they'd gotta go!"
So, yesterday, off he went - and off they went! I'm not sure what they've done about his "appendage". It wasn't mentioned to me. Someone suggested that "they" sort of turn it in on itself and make a rudimentary front bottom, a bit like making a pot out of a lump of clay. Someone else said "they" just cut it off and stick up a "No Entry" sign in its place. I really don't know but would be fascinated to hear from the more informed.

More importantly, what do they do with "them"? I don't know about you but I'd fucking want them back! I mean, if people can buy horrid little dolls in traditional Welsh costume to remind them of when they went to Llanduddno then you'd think that deciding whether or not to keep your bollocks in a jar to remind you of when you were a man would be a no-brainer!......and they'd make a fantastic conversation piece on top of the telly!

I digress. Anyway, what has got my mind in a spin is the complete and utter, 100 per cent, bona fide, unshakable, almost God-inspired confidence behind a decision like this. I mean, it's not as if you can go back next week and say "I've changed me mind. Can you sew these back on for me?" Even if you could, there is no way they could wire them up again properly!

We all have decisions to make in life. Let's face it, we take minor decisions almost every minute of every day but I'm not on about toss-ups over whether to have tea or coffee or whether to tell Jenkinson from accounts that he's a twat or just let it ride? I'm talking about BIG DECISIONS. You know, whether to get married, whether to have kids, whether to buy or rent, where to live, which property, when to stand up and be counted, where you stand on issues etc, etc.
I can honestly say that I have never taken a major decision in my life which I was totally and immovably convinced was completely the right one to take. I've been 99 per cent certain. I've even been 99.9 per cent certain - but the full 100 per cent? No.

To my mind, deciding whether or not to kiss goodbye to your balls is something you just GOTTA be certain about. There IS no way back after they've gone. As Ali MacGraw almost said to Ryan O'Neal in Love Story, "Plucking your plums means never having to say you're sorry."

I think castration can go to Grantham.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow hats off to your friend! How brave and wonderful of him (we all know that the fundamental problem with ALL men is the existence of their nadgers). One of my friends is transexual, but he hasn't had The Op. I don't know if he ever will, I haven't asked, but he's very pretty - so much so that when I first met him it took me quite a while to realise he was a man (this is without any hormone treatment at all. In the end his voice gave him away, and he took off his scarf - adams apple ahoy!)Apparently theres some dutch woman (or some such nationality) who gives transexual kids hormonal treatment before puberty, so that they don't have to go through the trauma of turning into something that repulses them. Whether or not this is an entirely ethical thing to do is, of course, highly debatable...

Vicus Scurra said...

I trust that your friend read this before you published it, and was impressed by the sensitivity.
And there was me thinking I might share a few confidences with you.

fiwa said...

wow. I can't get past the thought of how much that must HURT! How the fuck do you recover from surgery like that?!

My husband had a male coworker named Chris who started wearing dresses to work one day. No one was really sure what was going on, and you can imagine all the talk it sparked, but in the land of the giant software company of the Pacific Northwest, anything goes and you just pretend there is nothing unusual going on. After 6 months the department had a party to welcome a new coworker, "Christine". And then all became quite clear. Apparently over here, there is a requirement to dress and function as a woman - including using the women's restroom - for awhile, long before the actual deed will be done.

fiwa said...

PS, how is Padfoot? You don't have to post this.

Barry Lawrence said...

Vicus,

Firstly, go fuck yourself, you holier-than-thou, sanctimonious twat!
Secondly, which bit of the word "acquaintance" don't you fucking understand? If I'd wanted to say "friend" I would have said "friend". Learn to read!
Thirdly, he knows nothing of this Blog and only one person who reads it knows both who I am and who he is (and they agree with me fully).
Fourthly, I have no desire to hear any of your secrets, thank you very much. I appear to know you far too well already.

Barry Lawrence said...

Fatty,

How, on earth, can anyone decide effectively which sex they want to be BEFORE puberty? That Dutch git deserves locking up!!!!
I don't think the ethics are even close to being debatable!

The Birdwatcher said...

We have a couple of chaps in transition as they say in Buxton. They both look like, well as you put it "blokes in dresses" The give away is the stubble breaking through the layers of foundation. To be fair though you have to have some balls to walk around Buxton like that. (Or maybe not :))

Most Dutch people should be locked up IMHO.

Anonymous said...

They use them as breast implants.

Gin said...

Reg, Is it okay for me to put a link to your blog on my blog?

WEDNESDAY, 21 NOVEMBER 2007

SHORTS DON'T MATTER! 1. From the greatest programme ever made about association football, Barnstoneworth United FC manager Mr Dainty delivers one of the finest English soliloqiues of all time.......and afterwards, spare a thought for the club steward's wife Vera (YOU ONLY HAVE TO WATCH HALF OF THE CLIP!!).

Monday, 12 November 2007

Not everyone who agonises over their life is a painter. Some of us agonise because we're NOT painters.

....And On the Subject of Great Public Services

I know most of you have heard this marvellous song by those doctors who are the Amateur Transplants......but I think the video is a nice addition. P.S. If there are kids in the room I'd shuffle them out before hitting play.

...There's More

On the subject of those great doctors, here is their version of More Than Words which presents their challenging views on women outside Watford. The very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither, coming from Cumbria, is a huge fan. Again, get those kids out of the room!

Leave Britney Alone, Ok!!!

Oh...........my............God!!!!! My heartfelt thanks go to BGT for this. I won't say much more, I don't need to. Mr Loony of Loonytown, USA (I think it's a bloke, anyway), says it all. I fear he may be wound too tight for.....well.....well for everywhere, really!

Tuesday, 18 September 2007.

I wish I'd sung this! For non-Americans, and with apologies to all the smart arses out there who already knew, the FCC is the Federal Communications Commission and it monitors TV and radio output in the States - a sort of broadcast police - while the EPA is the Yanks' so-called Environmental Protection Agency, a body which does exactly the opposite of what it says on the can. (P.S. We went to the same school, you know? Eric and me, that is, not George, Martha, Dick and Condoleeza and me. I don't think they went to school.) P.P.S. Please see below if you are I Like The View, Malc or Doris.

To Make You Laugh and Cry

I was listening to this on a Sunday, the very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither is a Catholic, Tom Lehrer is one of my all-time heroes and this is one of his best.............no other reasons. On a more sombre note (and with thanks to Fish for coming up with this Woman's-Own-passes-the-time-in-the-dentist's-waiting-room nonsense), why not get a computer to tell you that you are a waste of space and your life is a sham of a mockery of a farce? Ok, it's from one of those poxy dating sites but...go on, take the test. You ain't got much to beat!!
This Is My Life, Rated
Life: 4.2
Mind: 4.1
Body: 2.7
Spirit: 8
Friends/Family: 1.6
Love: 0
Finance: 5.9
Take the Rate My Life Quiz
Apparently, in my case, "computer say 'no!'"

I First Saw This When I Was Little - And Loved It! I Hope That Explains a Few Things

Fuck, Fuckety, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck

It has been pointed out to me that, particularly for one whose profession is supposedly literary, my language is getting worse. My use of the "F" word is, I am told, far too prevalent and hence loses impact. To those who share this view I suggest you watch the following:

Tony Blair Isn't a Burglar - But If He Was.........

In the spirit of Gustav Holst's Jupiter and Manfred Mann's Earth Band, I feel like raising a smile today. The Big Green Thing alerted me to this and, for no other reason than to raise a smile on an otherwise crap Wednesday, I think it has to be shared. Grantham shall not have him - when he gets out of prison.

Life On The Edge - No Net.

I was wrong when I feared it might be a dull weekend, what with my pals being away, my soon-to-be ex-wife in rehab and only the dogs to play with. How wrong can a man be? This much fun must surely be illegal? Just click to see the japes and hoots I am having! Click again to see how things got REALLy exciting! Tomorrow we're going to chase pigeons.

The Good Old U.S. of A. - Guardians of Freedom and Democracy. Nothing to Be Scared of, Then?

Be honest........

IT'S THE QUIZ OF THE WEEK! JUST SCROLL DOWN AND HIT "FULL QUIZ".