**********************************************************WHY GRANTHAM? JUST CLICK:
TEXT **********************************************************

Friday 4 January 2008

Jewellery Foolery


Swill before swine? (and there are two fucking "l"s in jewellery!!)



I've just discovered the genius which is..............Diamonique!!!
Oh my dear God!! The years I've wasted! How could I have been such a fool? When will I ever learn? Is there yet time to asbsorb that on which I have missed out?

So, there I was, lying in bed last night, tossing and turning - well, turning at any rate - when I realised I had hit the "admit it dumbass, you ain't never gunna get to sleep" wall and so I waddled downstairs in the pitch dark to make a cup of tea.
Brew in hand, I groped my way through into the lounge (sorry Doris, sitting room) and plonked myself down to watch a bit of mindless Devil's Lantern in the hope of lulling myself back off to sleep.

In the inky blackness, I reached out and seized one of the 28 remote controls by the side of the armchair, only to find that my chosen zapper switched on the stereophonic gramophone device in the corner. The next one sparked the System 2000 videorama box into life, the third opened the CD drawer while pressing the fourth one appeared to make the dogs snarl at me! It was beginning to resemble a scene from Chaplin's Modern Times and I was seriously concerned that one more blind guess would lead to Mrs Pither being awoken upstairs by her nightie mysteriously sliding up and down so I took the plunge and switched on the lights..............Oouch!!!

Squinting madly like a mole in a solarium, I found the remote upon which Mrs P had helpfully scrawled the letters "TV" in marker pen and finally managed to turn on the box...................and there it was!!!!! The Diamonique Sale!

What a find!!! This belter of a show is a feature of the shopping channel QVC which I believe exclusively markets Diamonique. What is Diamonique, exactly. Well, in brief, it's a synthetic substance which resembles the stuff found on the pavement after someone has lobbed a brick through the window of a shop in a smash and grab raid.
How did someone come up with the idea of marketing smashed glass, you might ask? Well, it appears that someone at QVC realised the following facts:
F1. People like diamonds.
F2. Diamonds are very sparkly.
F3. Diamonds are very, very expensive.
F4. Smashed glass found on pavements after smash and grab raids is a little bit sparkly.
F5. Smashed glass found on pavements after smash and grab raids is not in the least bit expensive.

So far so good, eh? The trouble is, QVC then took things a step further. They took the five facts above and came up with the following conclusions:
C1. If people like diamonds they must like them because they are sparkly.
C2. People can't normally afford diamonds.
C3. People can afford smashed glass found on pavements after smash and grab raids.
C4. People will buy smashed glass found on pavements after smash and grab raids instead of diamonds.

Now comes the really scary bit...........it appears that QVC was right!!! The very fact that this crap is being shovelled out on the channel indicates that someone, somewhere, is buying it!!
The way I see it is, why on earth would someone want to buy an imitation which looks as much like diamond as does a dog turd? Do the desperados who snap up this shite seriously think that when they swan around, flashing their Diamonique at anyone within eyeline people aren't thinking "poor cow - she's wearing smashed glass found on pavements after smash and grab raids and wants us to think they're diamonds".

Diamonds are special because they're beautiful - intrinsically beautiful - they are very rare and they are miracles of nature. There are two kinds of things in this world - things which are diamonds and things which are not! Why buy one thing and pretend it is something else? Well, the answer to that lies in the sort of people who buy this tat.
Diamonique buyers are doubtless the same people who buy designer labels or who have their tits lifted or who spend their lives clothes shopping or who think shoes are really "cool" and what is actually happening in the world is "really gash and boring". It's all about impressing people, as they see it. They have nothing to offer and so they try to buy themselves some sort of value to society (a Thatcherite inspired piece of thinking). Instead of living their lives so as to become what they want to or can be, they buy some materialist crap in the vain belief that it will hoodwink everyone else and make them appear to be something they are not.

I've gone off the point a bit now. I had meant to bang on about the banality of a show which consists of some moron holding up bits of broken glass for hours and fucking hours of tubetime but I've gone and got myself all steamed up over the futility of modern society - not a bad leap off the tracks for the train of thought, even by my standards.

Anyway, back to the real point - if there ever was one. Diamonique can go to Grantham.

6 comments:

Gin said...

Awww, but Reg! There is a need. Really.

Diamonds are for real, strong, loving, lasting relationships. They last as long as the couples love for one another.

Diamonique bits of crappy glass are for phony, weak, crappy, temporary relationships! Or for cheapass guys to give their ignorant girlfriends who probably actually think they are getting a real diamond. Before the stone ends up looking dull and pasty like a piece of beach glass and the setting turns the lady's finger green, the relationship is usually over anyway! And look at the $$$ he saved!

Ginni, who is insanely in love with diamonds...the real thing!

Barry Lawrence said...

Hi Ginni,

I knew you'd be a diamond girl - and I'm glad. A class lass, as we would say over here.

The Birdwatcher said...

Mozart is Music but that bastard Mantivani is ear ache.

fiwa said...

Reg, you have good taste, Ginni IS a classy lass.

I love it here, because I always learn new slang. I just today figured out what devil's lantern meant. But, I am a bit sloe. ;)

PS - I love the bush jokes, I'd really like to get excited about the fact that he'll soon be out of office, but I don't know if his replacement will be any better. No, that's not right, I don't think we could find one as d-u-m-b as bush again, unless we suddenly decide to elect Dan Quayle prez.

Zig said...

nothing wrong with liking shoes and real diamonds - I can find room in my life for both!

Malcolm Cinnamond said...

That was far from straying from the point, old pal. That is the point. If you haven't got class or talent, fake it and you'll get away with it. Our whole economy is built on it. If you haven't got money, buy it anyway. If you haven't got diamonds, get some broken glass and sell it to Reg in the wee small hours. If you haven't the first idea what you're doing at work, shout a lot and hope nobody notices that you're crap.

And Fiwa, if you like Bush jokes try Steve Bell's cartoons from The Guardian.

WEDNESDAY, 21 NOVEMBER 2007

SHORTS DON'T MATTER! 1. From the greatest programme ever made about association football, Barnstoneworth United FC manager Mr Dainty delivers one of the finest English soliloqiues of all time.......and afterwards, spare a thought for the club steward's wife Vera (YOU ONLY HAVE TO WATCH HALF OF THE CLIP!!).

Monday, 12 November 2007

Not everyone who agonises over their life is a painter. Some of us agonise because we're NOT painters.

....And On the Subject of Great Public Services

I know most of you have heard this marvellous song by those doctors who are the Amateur Transplants......but I think the video is a nice addition. P.S. If there are kids in the room I'd shuffle them out before hitting play.

...There's More

On the subject of those great doctors, here is their version of More Than Words which presents their challenging views on women outside Watford. The very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither, coming from Cumbria, is a huge fan. Again, get those kids out of the room!

Leave Britney Alone, Ok!!!

Oh...........my............God!!!!! My heartfelt thanks go to BGT for this. I won't say much more, I don't need to. Mr Loony of Loonytown, USA (I think it's a bloke, anyway), says it all. I fear he may be wound too tight for.....well.....well for everywhere, really!

Tuesday, 18 September 2007.

I wish I'd sung this! For non-Americans, and with apologies to all the smart arses out there who already knew, the FCC is the Federal Communications Commission and it monitors TV and radio output in the States - a sort of broadcast police - while the EPA is the Yanks' so-called Environmental Protection Agency, a body which does exactly the opposite of what it says on the can. (P.S. We went to the same school, you know? Eric and me, that is, not George, Martha, Dick and Condoleeza and me. I don't think they went to school.) P.P.S. Please see below if you are I Like The View, Malc or Doris.

To Make You Laugh and Cry

I was listening to this on a Sunday, the very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither is a Catholic, Tom Lehrer is one of my all-time heroes and this is one of his best.............no other reasons. On a more sombre note (and with thanks to Fish for coming up with this Woman's-Own-passes-the-time-in-the-dentist's-waiting-room nonsense), why not get a computer to tell you that you are a waste of space and your life is a sham of a mockery of a farce? Ok, it's from one of those poxy dating sites but...go on, take the test. You ain't got much to beat!!
This Is My Life, Rated
Life: 4.2
Mind: 4.1
Body: 2.7
Spirit: 8
Friends/Family: 1.6
Love: 0
Finance: 5.9
Take the Rate My Life Quiz
Apparently, in my case, "computer say 'no!'"

I First Saw This When I Was Little - And Loved It! I Hope That Explains a Few Things

Fuck, Fuckety, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck

It has been pointed out to me that, particularly for one whose profession is supposedly literary, my language is getting worse. My use of the "F" word is, I am told, far too prevalent and hence loses impact. To those who share this view I suggest you watch the following:

Tony Blair Isn't a Burglar - But If He Was.........

In the spirit of Gustav Holst's Jupiter and Manfred Mann's Earth Band, I feel like raising a smile today. The Big Green Thing alerted me to this and, for no other reason than to raise a smile on an otherwise crap Wednesday, I think it has to be shared. Grantham shall not have him - when he gets out of prison.

Life On The Edge - No Net.

I was wrong when I feared it might be a dull weekend, what with my pals being away, my soon-to-be ex-wife in rehab and only the dogs to play with. How wrong can a man be? This much fun must surely be illegal? Just click to see the japes and hoots I am having! Click again to see how things got REALLy exciting! Tomorrow we're going to chase pigeons.

The Good Old U.S. of A. - Guardians of Freedom and Democracy. Nothing to Be Scared of, Then?

Be honest........

IT'S THE QUIZ OF THE WEEK! JUST SCROLL DOWN AND HIT "FULL QUIZ".