**********************************************************WHY GRANTHAM? JUST CLICK:
TEXT **********************************************************

Sunday 6 January 2008

God For Sale! - Get Him While He's Hot!!


Today's lesson is taken from the Gospel according to Nicky Campbell, BBC 1, The Big Question, 10am.
And verily, the smug, self-important, if-it's-going-to-be-on-telly-pick-me-pick-me Scotsman did say unto his studio audience: "Is the Church of England a failing business? It's got top heavy management and attendances are down all round. Is it time for the Church to be more proactive to get bums on seats?"

Bums on seats? I failed to see how putting chairs outside Sainsbury's on Saturday afternoons for the Tenants Extra-swilling gentleman who normally gathered there would help "the one true faith" but I think I got Nasty Nicky's point...............and what a brilliant idea!!

Yeah, let's get Saatchi and Saatchi in and let's push that mother! Let's make the Church sexy! Those loonies standing around town centres on orange boxes, Bible in hand, shouting at passers-by that Jesus died for THEM just ain't reaching the core demographic! We gotta brand this baby, conga with the congregations and sell, sell, sell!! It's time for a marketing meeting! "Fiona, Rupert, Darren, Craig - call the bishop!"

Rupert: "So, Bish, give me the this God stuff in a nutshell. What's our product?"
Bishop: "Uuurrmmm......."
Craig: "Ok, ok. Let's buy a platform ticket before we catch the rocket express to Big Time Central. Give me a focus for the campaign."
Bishop: "Well, there's Jesus, I suppose."
Rupert: "Now we're cooking! Fiona, get this Jesus dude on the horn. I want a photoshoot tomorrow. See if Janet Jackson's free...and we'll need a couple of Harley Davidsons."
Bishop: "Jesus is dead, I'm afraid. He died to save us all."
Fiona: "Bumsville Arizona!!"
Darren: "Wait just a doggone minute. It's coming to me. Let me run this up the flagpole and see who salutes? How about 'Jesus - he's dead good!'?"
Fiona: "Like it, like it, like it! Dazza, you're the man! Now, Bish, give me more about this J cat."
Bishop: "Well, he was a carpenter and he died on The Cross."
Darren: "Great! Now we gotta theme!! Wood!!"
Craig: "Yeah! 'Get God - Get Wood! We could have a cross as our logo!"
Rupert: "The British National Party has already got that one."
Fiona: "Who cares? We've got a heady brew here. Who else we got in the mix?"
Bishop: "Jesus had 12 disciples - followers."
Craig: "Too many. They'll never make a wide shot on Top of the Pops. We need to downsize."
Bishop: "But......"
Rupert: "Craigy, get Simon Cowell's people to talk to our people. We'll run four series of False Idol and get a band together - Jesus and the Jesuits? All Saints? Let's rock!"
Fiona: "Anything else, Bish?"
Bishop: "Well, Jesus performed miracles. For instance, he turned water into wine."
Darren: "It just gets better! 'Holy Water - It's a Fucking Miracle!' We could undercut Evian!"

And so it goes on. How, exactly, does one "sell" faith? Mr Campbell's ridiculous proposition at the beginning of this post is just a symptom of the times. Viewing figures for religion? If ever we needed saving by the Son of God, it's now!
Nothing can just be. It has to make a profit. It has to be marketed and sold. The mantra has become so ingrained over the last 30 years that people take it for granted and never stop to think what they are saying or doing (Campbell being a classic case in point).
Christ (pardon the irony), if society says electricity, gas and even Wales can be "sold" then of course they're going to try to flog religion.
Heck, the Moslem fundamentalists are making a pretty good job of selling Islam to inner city kids (the offer of free virgins for eternity IS a winner, you've got to admit) and Bush and his ultra-Conservative Christian fanatics have done pretty well flogging the concept of "terror" and "the evil empires" to the West.

What to send to Grantham? Well, I sent myself there yesterday - which reminds me, Jim Davidson, Thatcher, Jeremy Clarkson and I are going to a themed, Harvester pub this lunchtime to have a Brake Bros, pre-packed meal next to the children's ballpond play area and then we're going to a New Labour meeting before spending the evening watching Pop Idol re-runs!

Where was I? Oh, yes, Grantham. I think the idea that EVERYTHING is a business and so EVERYTHING is marketable has to go - don't you?

9 comments:

Gin said...

Amen brothah, amen and can I get an AMEN!

fiwa said...

Hay-men! The whole dialogue cracked me up. Reg, you should write for a commedy show. And then I think you & Malc need to take your show on the road and call it the Pithy Life.

lovins,
fiwa

Malcolm Cinnamond said...

Don't get me started on that bastard Campbell - really, don't.

And I'd have bought Wales if I known it was for sale. I'm always the last to know.

fiwa said...

Hm. That felt very much like a dear john letter.

Anonymous said...

All I can say is:

http://www.youtube.com/
watch?v=Cvx5j216wOI

Not much of a statement, but I'm feeling lazy today.

Gawd I've missed you recently pithers.

Mangonel said...

I read somewhere once that the business about the forty virgins may have been a mistranslation, and that what was meant was 'white raisins'. You know, promised as a major delicacy at the feast. (No quarrel about the feast bit, apparently.) Imagine all those martyrs suing under the Trades Descriptions Act.

The Birdwatcher said...

Excellent as always Reg, how is the new job going?

Malcolm Cinnamond said...

I'm only going on the road if the pigs get their own trailer.

dinahmow said...

Hal-EEE-LOOO-ya! Praise the Lorrrd!
And the poor man, Pither, went forth from his hovel and did extoll the virtues of his own marketing manager, yea, verily!And in the City did they praise him and sing unto his purse.

Could be something in this, y'know...

WEDNESDAY, 21 NOVEMBER 2007

SHORTS DON'T MATTER! 1. From the greatest programme ever made about association football, Barnstoneworth United FC manager Mr Dainty delivers one of the finest English soliloqiues of all time.......and afterwards, spare a thought for the club steward's wife Vera (YOU ONLY HAVE TO WATCH HALF OF THE CLIP!!).

Monday, 12 November 2007

Not everyone who agonises over their life is a painter. Some of us agonise because we're NOT painters.

....And On the Subject of Great Public Services

I know most of you have heard this marvellous song by those doctors who are the Amateur Transplants......but I think the video is a nice addition. P.S. If there are kids in the room I'd shuffle them out before hitting play.

...There's More

On the subject of those great doctors, here is their version of More Than Words which presents their challenging views on women outside Watford. The very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither, coming from Cumbria, is a huge fan. Again, get those kids out of the room!

Leave Britney Alone, Ok!!!

Oh...........my............God!!!!! My heartfelt thanks go to BGT for this. I won't say much more, I don't need to. Mr Loony of Loonytown, USA (I think it's a bloke, anyway), says it all. I fear he may be wound too tight for.....well.....well for everywhere, really!

Tuesday, 18 September 2007.

I wish I'd sung this! For non-Americans, and with apologies to all the smart arses out there who already knew, the FCC is the Federal Communications Commission and it monitors TV and radio output in the States - a sort of broadcast police - while the EPA is the Yanks' so-called Environmental Protection Agency, a body which does exactly the opposite of what it says on the can. (P.S. We went to the same school, you know? Eric and me, that is, not George, Martha, Dick and Condoleeza and me. I don't think they went to school.) P.P.S. Please see below if you are I Like The View, Malc or Doris.

To Make You Laugh and Cry

I was listening to this on a Sunday, the very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither is a Catholic, Tom Lehrer is one of my all-time heroes and this is one of his best.............no other reasons. On a more sombre note (and with thanks to Fish for coming up with this Woman's-Own-passes-the-time-in-the-dentist's-waiting-room nonsense), why not get a computer to tell you that you are a waste of space and your life is a sham of a mockery of a farce? Ok, it's from one of those poxy dating sites but...go on, take the test. You ain't got much to beat!!
This Is My Life, Rated
Life: 4.2
Mind: 4.1
Body: 2.7
Spirit: 8
Friends/Family: 1.6
Love: 0
Finance: 5.9
Take the Rate My Life Quiz
Apparently, in my case, "computer say 'no!'"

I First Saw This When I Was Little - And Loved It! I Hope That Explains a Few Things

Fuck, Fuckety, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck

It has been pointed out to me that, particularly for one whose profession is supposedly literary, my language is getting worse. My use of the "F" word is, I am told, far too prevalent and hence loses impact. To those who share this view I suggest you watch the following:

Tony Blair Isn't a Burglar - But If He Was.........

In the spirit of Gustav Holst's Jupiter and Manfred Mann's Earth Band, I feel like raising a smile today. The Big Green Thing alerted me to this and, for no other reason than to raise a smile on an otherwise crap Wednesday, I think it has to be shared. Grantham shall not have him - when he gets out of prison.

Life On The Edge - No Net.

I was wrong when I feared it might be a dull weekend, what with my pals being away, my soon-to-be ex-wife in rehab and only the dogs to play with. How wrong can a man be? This much fun must surely be illegal? Just click to see the japes and hoots I am having! Click again to see how things got REALLy exciting! Tomorrow we're going to chase pigeons.

The Good Old U.S. of A. - Guardians of Freedom and Democracy. Nothing to Be Scared of, Then?

Be honest........

IT'S THE QUIZ OF THE WEEK! JUST SCROLL DOWN AND HIT "FULL QUIZ".