**********************************************************WHY GRANTHAM? JUST CLICK:
TEXT **********************************************************

Thursday 3 January 2008

Dyson - With Death!


Life sucks - you don't! Goodbye.


We've had a death in the family.
Yup, Pither has ridden the crest of the New Year effortlessly and set sail into 2008 exactly as he navigated 2007 - leaking below the waterline and in danger of going down with all hands!
The vacuum cleaner is irrevocably fucked! I use the words "irrevocably fucked" because those were the ones used today by the technical geniuses in my local vacuum cleaner repair shop.

It is true to say that the vacuum - a Dyson (but that's the last plug he's getting!) - and I have endured a rocky relationship during our six years together but, like an Essex girl and herpes, we have got used to one another's company.
She (a man could never suck with such power or expertise) was initially
pronounced "fucked" by Martin Bormann "I Can Fix It" Comedy Repairs Ltd back in 2003 when her drivebelt snapped. During a search for her guarantee, however, I discovered replacement drivebelts in the box in which she came, fitted one with ease, and so all was well with the world again.

Her belts subsequently snapped as regularly as does the elastic on Jodie Marsh's knickers but because of my new-found mechanical prowess I was always able to get her back on the road - well, the carpet, at any rate. Then, three years ago, just as her extended guarantee became as valid as Benazir Bhutto's bus pass, her main hose tore free from her body (the vacuum cleaner's - not Mrs Bhutto's). The cranial vacuum in a fawn overall at THE shop promptly declared her "really fucked" and so, in desperation, I rang the manufacturer. It turned out that, once again, all was not lost and at a cost of a mere 80 of our earth pounds she was sent for a full MoT, which included the fitting of a new hose. Hurrah!

We were never in luck for long, however, and tragedy struck again last year when one of her wheels fell off. In the business, according to Messrs Bormann and associates at least, that is known as being "completely fucked". Another call to the maker's, however, led to her being sent away for an undercarriage replacement which, at a cost of another £80, pulled her back from the brink and enabled her to trundle on again happily.

Mrs Pither did point out on the last occasion that, while the cleaner was again fully functional, it warranted an entry in the Guinness Book of World Records as the world's most costly domestic device! I am, however, a fierce opponent of the throw-away society and will not give up on anything until I can actually see it weeping blood and hear its screams for eternal rest (ref. Pither's marriage, Chapter 28).
That moment came for my beloved vacuum at about 11am today. With four dogs, Pither Towers needs only one day without vacuuming to resemble the contents of an Italian woman's pants in the 1970s and, after a suspension of domestic chores over the festive holiday, the old place was looking distinctly hirsute.
I fired up old faithful in the dining room and had only managed about two sweeps across the carpet when there was a loud "FIZZ, CRACKLE, CRACKLE, SHHHHH, VOOOSHH, CRACKLE!" The power died and then there was an awful, acrid, burning oil smell and I looked down to see thick, black smoke pouring from the back of the machine. I instantly knew what it meant. I even envisaged tiny little people running up to the brushes end, screaming, and diving off into the shag pile as an equally tiny band of musicians sat stoically in deckchairs at the other end playing Abide With Me.
I waddled round to Bormann Brothers at lunchtime to be given the technical diagnosis and then, by way of my need for a second opinion, I rang the manufacturer. Both pronouncements were the same:
"Yeah, that's irrevocably fucked, mate!"

So, I have finally admitted defeat and THE vacuum cleaner is no more. Unfortunately, these paltry words are the only room for sentiment in a house which is in dire need of a comb-over, let alone vacuuming, and so, as soon as the smoke had cleared, Mrs Pither went forthwith to The Big Shop Which Sells Everything this afternoon to buy a new model.
Mrs P had set her heart on a particular model, the selling point of which was that it was apparently specially designed to cope with pet hairs! Hmmm, we shall see. Anyway, there were none in stock when she went so she has ordered one and it is due on Monday. I am looking forward immensely to the arrival of this latest sucker to inhabit The Towers - in fact, it will be the 126th most exciting thing which has ever happened to me.
Anyway, here's to absent friends. Defiance of the throw-away society shall not go to Grantham.

9 comments:

Gin said...

You have my deepest sympathy at the loss of your Dyson. But, I've heard they are nasty heavy boogers anyway!!

I do give you kudos on giving it lots of tries to keep it running. You win the Not-Giving-In Award from the Society To Prevent The Random Throwing Away Of Useful Things

Well Done!
Ginni

Gorilla Bananas said...

"The vacuum cleaner's fucked" is not an expression that people should use. Some men have literally done that. It's machine-rape.

Gin said...

Yes, I'm here again. I just HAD to comment on your latest right-hand photo. Being a patriotic American, albeit one who's not really into politics much, I just had to make my feelings known on the aspersions you are casting on our great white leader.

RIGHT ON, YOU GO REG, AMEN, AMEN AND CAN I GET AN AMEN!!!

One brain cell indeed...if even that!

Oh well, give us time (a year to be exact) and Dubbya boy will go the same route as your Mrs. Thatcher! Can Americans be sent to Grantham???

Cheers,
Ginni

Zig said...

I should think that using the expression is probably less painful than the actuality.

The death of domestic devices does dominate don't it?

...pour me another gin there's a love

Mangonel said...

Unlike the randy Swiss admiral, here's to the new one which will suck and suck and never fail.

Barry Lawrence said...

Hi Ginni,

I doubt Dubya will go the same way as the Thatchbitch. He will just die. She can only be killed by a stake through the heart!

Gorilla Bananas,

I have never had sex with my vacuum cleaner without taking it out for a meal and a few drinks first, after which both parties were not only drunk but consensual - what kind of a pervert do you think I am?

Barry Lawrence said...

Dearest Ziggi,

It's dead exciting though when the newborn arrives, innit?
One oven door closes and another one opens, eh?

Hello Mangonel, and welcome to this grief hole.
Yes, I hope the future will indeed be suckful. The Randy Admiral? Was he the one who went down on his ship?

The Birdwatcher said...

reg why have you got a picture of a monkey in panties?

Barry Lawrence said...

BW,

I will tell Mrs Pither's mother that you said that!!!

WEDNESDAY, 21 NOVEMBER 2007

SHORTS DON'T MATTER! 1. From the greatest programme ever made about association football, Barnstoneworth United FC manager Mr Dainty delivers one of the finest English soliloqiues of all time.......and afterwards, spare a thought for the club steward's wife Vera (YOU ONLY HAVE TO WATCH HALF OF THE CLIP!!).

Monday, 12 November 2007

Not everyone who agonises over their life is a painter. Some of us agonise because we're NOT painters.

....And On the Subject of Great Public Services

I know most of you have heard this marvellous song by those doctors who are the Amateur Transplants......but I think the video is a nice addition. P.S. If there are kids in the room I'd shuffle them out before hitting play.

...There's More

On the subject of those great doctors, here is their version of More Than Words which presents their challenging views on women outside Watford. The very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither, coming from Cumbria, is a huge fan. Again, get those kids out of the room!

Leave Britney Alone, Ok!!!

Oh...........my............God!!!!! My heartfelt thanks go to BGT for this. I won't say much more, I don't need to. Mr Loony of Loonytown, USA (I think it's a bloke, anyway), says it all. I fear he may be wound too tight for.....well.....well for everywhere, really!

Tuesday, 18 September 2007.

I wish I'd sung this! For non-Americans, and with apologies to all the smart arses out there who already knew, the FCC is the Federal Communications Commission and it monitors TV and radio output in the States - a sort of broadcast police - while the EPA is the Yanks' so-called Environmental Protection Agency, a body which does exactly the opposite of what it says on the can. (P.S. We went to the same school, you know? Eric and me, that is, not George, Martha, Dick and Condoleeza and me. I don't think they went to school.) P.P.S. Please see below if you are I Like The View, Malc or Doris.

To Make You Laugh and Cry

I was listening to this on a Sunday, the very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither is a Catholic, Tom Lehrer is one of my all-time heroes and this is one of his best.............no other reasons. On a more sombre note (and with thanks to Fish for coming up with this Woman's-Own-passes-the-time-in-the-dentist's-waiting-room nonsense), why not get a computer to tell you that you are a waste of space and your life is a sham of a mockery of a farce? Ok, it's from one of those poxy dating sites but...go on, take the test. You ain't got much to beat!!
This Is My Life, Rated
Life: 4.2
Mind: 4.1
Body: 2.7
Spirit: 8
Friends/Family: 1.6
Love: 0
Finance: 5.9
Take the Rate My Life Quiz
Apparently, in my case, "computer say 'no!'"

I First Saw This When I Was Little - And Loved It! I Hope That Explains a Few Things

Fuck, Fuckety, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck

It has been pointed out to me that, particularly for one whose profession is supposedly literary, my language is getting worse. My use of the "F" word is, I am told, far too prevalent and hence loses impact. To those who share this view I suggest you watch the following:

Tony Blair Isn't a Burglar - But If He Was.........

In the spirit of Gustav Holst's Jupiter and Manfred Mann's Earth Band, I feel like raising a smile today. The Big Green Thing alerted me to this and, for no other reason than to raise a smile on an otherwise crap Wednesday, I think it has to be shared. Grantham shall not have him - when he gets out of prison.

Life On The Edge - No Net.

I was wrong when I feared it might be a dull weekend, what with my pals being away, my soon-to-be ex-wife in rehab and only the dogs to play with. How wrong can a man be? This much fun must surely be illegal? Just click to see the japes and hoots I am having! Click again to see how things got REALLy exciting! Tomorrow we're going to chase pigeons.

The Good Old U.S. of A. - Guardians of Freedom and Democracy. Nothing to Be Scared of, Then?

Be honest........

IT'S THE QUIZ OF THE WEEK! JUST SCROLL DOWN AND HIT "FULL QUIZ".