**********************************************************WHY GRANTHAM? JUST CLICK:
TEXT **********************************************************

Sunday 13 January 2008

Padfoot - The Bad News


Padfoot is back from hospital in Liverpool and once again recovering from the cutting, prodding and probing of the medical fraternity.
The upshot of his extended stay at the university's Small Animal Hospital is the vets have confirmed that he DOES have cancer and he has been given about six months to live.

A CT scan, X-rays and blood tests revealed all organs were working fine, there were no obvious tumours and at one point it looked as if he might even be given the all clear. However, the wall of one lung was slightly thickened and they found a mass of fluid in his chest cavity so took samples.
The biopsies had to be sent down to Cambridge for analysis and the results returned on Thursday evening and revealed that he has a virulent cancer in his lungs. Anyway, they drained the fluid in his chest and removed about a pint! They told me, however, that is not unusual for a dog of his size as they can often find about four pints!


I went to collect Pad on Friday afternoon - enduring an horrendous storm, torrential rain, a five-hour round trip, one of the worst drives I can ever recall and two near-accidents. I took Henry (the three-leggged leader of the pack) with me for company and he and the boy seemed indifferent about being reunited - dogs are funny creatures.

Pad is now home again and slowly reacclimatising to The Towers. The procedures have knocked him about a bit, obviously, and he is drinking voraciously again, has a throaty cough and is very sluggish and out of sorts. However, having witnessed his recovery from his operation about a month ago, I put this all down to what he underwent at the hospital. The cough and thirst are, I'm sure, caused by the tubes shoved down his throat and his demeanour and lack of energy are down to the trauma. I am certain he will be back to his old self in about a week as he has already begun to get his appetite back.

Looking on the bright side, he no longer has that awful muck in his chest and so can breathe easier. Also, he has been given an anti-inflammatory which is easing the degeneration in his back legs. Combined, these two things mean that he is in a better state than before I took him to hospital and so, apart from definitively revealing what is wrong with him, it was well worth his five days away - and the bill of £3,700!!

One thing which is depressing him a tad is that, once again, they shaved his fur to carry out the procedures. They cut a big circle in each of his flanks and the result is that he looks like a bloody poodle!! - pretty embarrassing for a street-wise alsatian with credibility to maintain. Still, like before, his fur will grow back soon.








Today he is going to have a huge shoulder of beef all to himself as a treat. He also has two new beds (one in the lounge and one in the kitchen), a new, soft toy to play with and boxes and boxes of chews and treats.
I am determined that his remaining time with me is going to be as happy and comfortable as possible and no expense will be spared.
He's where he wants to be and he's not in any pain.

I'm sure you can imagine that this is pretty tough to write about and so I am not going to post about him for quite a while - his ups and downs will be between me, Mrs P and him. I will, however, document the very end for those who have been so kind as to ask about him. Rest assured, he is currently one of the happiest, safest, most comfortable and loved creatures on the planet.

11 comments:

fiwa said...

Glad he's home with you and being treated like a king.

Anonymous said...

:( We know you'll look after him better than anyone else in the world pithers. Give him a massive hug every day from me and tell him that, although he does look a little poodle-esque, he is nonetheless Well 'Ard.

Zig said...

thanks for the update, please give him a hug from moi and I hope to f*ck he's insured!

Gin said...

I'm glad he's back home with you. You'll make this part of his life wonderful.

And don't worry about the poodle thing...he may just set a new style among street-wise Alsatians!

Best of luck,
Ginni

dinahmow said...

Padfoot - don't be a whimp! Consider your fancy hair-do as something desirable. You are a trend setter, old son.And that's a click above an Irish Setter!At least they all know your gender. Not like us. SO embarrassing!
sgnd: Ms Geiger and Ms Sporran

Reg, at least you have him home again. Give him an ear rub.

The Birdwatcher said...

He is in the best of hands and where he wants to be. He doesn't like you photographing his shaved patches though! Give him a hug from the BW's

Anonymous said...

And his remaining time will be happy and comfortable because it's what you do for them...Give him all the hugs, kisses and love there is to give...and tell him his hair still looks better than mine - despite the best efforts of Brylcreem!!

Take care mate, love to everyone as always...thinking about you all,
Big Ears

Brad said...

Sorry about Pad - I have a 7 year olf Golden and worry about the day when I have to deal with something like this. He looks to be a very nice puppy - Best wishes -

youngquinn said...

Ive been sitting here for a while trying to think of something comforting to say...cant think of a thing! Im glad Padfoot found you and I know you will give him lots of fun (and sides of beef)
I will toast you both with my next "beverage"
Pam in Australia

Anonymous said...

Oh, Pad. I am so glad to hear the fluid is out of his lungs, THAT has got to be a gross improvement. I am sorry for the diagnosis and experienced the same with my dearest Laddie. I had the 6 month time line, as well...keep in happy, keep him comfortable. Love you guys.

Foilwoman said...

Reg: So sorry to hear the sad news about your lovely Padfoot, but I'm glad you have time with him and that he got to come home with you.

WEDNESDAY, 21 NOVEMBER 2007

SHORTS DON'T MATTER! 1. From the greatest programme ever made about association football, Barnstoneworth United FC manager Mr Dainty delivers one of the finest English soliloqiues of all time.......and afterwards, spare a thought for the club steward's wife Vera (YOU ONLY HAVE TO WATCH HALF OF THE CLIP!!).

Monday, 12 November 2007

Not everyone who agonises over their life is a painter. Some of us agonise because we're NOT painters.

....And On the Subject of Great Public Services

I know most of you have heard this marvellous song by those doctors who are the Amateur Transplants......but I think the video is a nice addition. P.S. If there are kids in the room I'd shuffle them out before hitting play.

...There's More

On the subject of those great doctors, here is their version of More Than Words which presents their challenging views on women outside Watford. The very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither, coming from Cumbria, is a huge fan. Again, get those kids out of the room!

Leave Britney Alone, Ok!!!

Oh...........my............God!!!!! My heartfelt thanks go to BGT for this. I won't say much more, I don't need to. Mr Loony of Loonytown, USA (I think it's a bloke, anyway), says it all. I fear he may be wound too tight for.....well.....well for everywhere, really!

Tuesday, 18 September 2007.

I wish I'd sung this! For non-Americans, and with apologies to all the smart arses out there who already knew, the FCC is the Federal Communications Commission and it monitors TV and radio output in the States - a sort of broadcast police - while the EPA is the Yanks' so-called Environmental Protection Agency, a body which does exactly the opposite of what it says on the can. (P.S. We went to the same school, you know? Eric and me, that is, not George, Martha, Dick and Condoleeza and me. I don't think they went to school.) P.P.S. Please see below if you are I Like The View, Malc or Doris.

To Make You Laugh and Cry

I was listening to this on a Sunday, the very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither is a Catholic, Tom Lehrer is one of my all-time heroes and this is one of his best.............no other reasons. On a more sombre note (and with thanks to Fish for coming up with this Woman's-Own-passes-the-time-in-the-dentist's-waiting-room nonsense), why not get a computer to tell you that you are a waste of space and your life is a sham of a mockery of a farce? Ok, it's from one of those poxy dating sites but...go on, take the test. You ain't got much to beat!!
This Is My Life, Rated
Life: 4.2
Mind: 4.1
Body: 2.7
Spirit: 8
Friends/Family: 1.6
Love: 0
Finance: 5.9
Take the Rate My Life Quiz
Apparently, in my case, "computer say 'no!'"

I First Saw This When I Was Little - And Loved It! I Hope That Explains a Few Things

Fuck, Fuckety, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck

It has been pointed out to me that, particularly for one whose profession is supposedly literary, my language is getting worse. My use of the "F" word is, I am told, far too prevalent and hence loses impact. To those who share this view I suggest you watch the following:

Tony Blair Isn't a Burglar - But If He Was.........

In the spirit of Gustav Holst's Jupiter and Manfred Mann's Earth Band, I feel like raising a smile today. The Big Green Thing alerted me to this and, for no other reason than to raise a smile on an otherwise crap Wednesday, I think it has to be shared. Grantham shall not have him - when he gets out of prison.

Life On The Edge - No Net.

I was wrong when I feared it might be a dull weekend, what with my pals being away, my soon-to-be ex-wife in rehab and only the dogs to play with. How wrong can a man be? This much fun must surely be illegal? Just click to see the japes and hoots I am having! Click again to see how things got REALLy exciting! Tomorrow we're going to chase pigeons.

The Good Old U.S. of A. - Guardians of Freedom and Democracy. Nothing to Be Scared of, Then?

Be honest........

IT'S THE QUIZ OF THE WEEK! JUST SCROLL DOWN AND HIT "FULL QUIZ".