**********************************************************WHY GRANTHAM? JUST CLICK:
TEXT **********************************************************

Wednesday 23 January 2008

Of Jogging - and Memories


Here's one!
Mrs Pither was channel hopping while I was ironing the ferrets or building the Bismark or something (I forget now) when she alighted on Crimewatch and I couldn't help but bend an ear to parts of the programme.
Kirsty Young (I'm single again Kirsty, if you're reading this) was in the chair this
week and with fitting gravitas she described a string of violent but unsolved crimes which had been perpetrated across the country.
Her husky, Scottish tones were interrupted intermittently when we were shown re-enactments of these horrors but Kirsty always reappeared to appeal as usual to us, Joe Public, for help in catching the villains.
Kirsty was at pains to point out just how many Crimewatch viewers had, over the years, come forward as witnesses having watched the programme and been responsible for scores of murders, rapes and robberies being solved.
It was at that point my mind fell to wandering and I puzzled over just how someone could remember a crime having seen it on Crimewatch but not when they were actually at the scene at the time?

"Ooh, come quick Doris, look at this on the telly!"
"What's wrong Alf? I'm lancing the cat's piles."
"Come quick! It's just like when we were in the Post Office last Tuesday and those three lads barged in front of us in the queue. Do you remember?"
"No. Which lads?"
"You remember! They were dressed in black and were all wearing ski masks. One of them hit Mrs Jackson over the head with a hammer?"
"Wasn't that in Somerfield? You know, when that girl short-changed us over the sherry?"
"Nah. I'm pretty sure it was the Post Office. I remember thinking it was unusual because Mrs Jackson normally goes to bingo on a Tuesday. I think you said to one of the lads 'Excuse me young man but some of us have been waiting here for ten minutes.'"
"Oh yes, they were students on some rag week thing, weren't they?"
"Well, I thought so. I went to give one of them 50p but he hit me in the stomach with a crowbar."
"That was so rude. I don't know, young people today."
"The Crimewatch people are appealing for witnesses. Do you remember anything about it?"
"Yes. I remember that they didn't have any brown wrapping paper in stock."
"Oh yes, that's right. And they didn't have my rough shag. Anything else?"
"No, not a thing. The big lad with the lisp, the limp and the one arm tattooed with a crucifix above the words 'My Name Is Dennis Pilkington' just blasted Mrs Dillrimple behind the counter with a sawn-off shotgun and then left."
"Why did Mr Etherington take a funny turn while we were there?"
"I don't know. He just went all moody and quiet after the other lad - you know, the 4ft 3ins one with the club foot and the Venezuelan accent? - stabbed him with that machete."
"He's always been a funny bloke, Mr Etherington."
"The Crimewatch people want to hear from anyone who saw or heard anything suspicious near the Post Office that day."
"Well we didn't! I couldn't hear a thing because the third lad - you know, the one I used to clean for?' - kept shouting 'Don't nobody come near my 'ouse at 34a Titherington Gardens, Hounslow, HO4 9SJ. I'm serious!!' as he and the others ran out with that bag marked 'swag'."
"That's right. And we couldn't see anything either because that van they all drove off in, the white Ford Transit with the dented offside, front wing, registration number D976 4EY, was blocking our view of the street."
"Wait a minute!"
"What?"
"I remember something now. We had to go to Clinton's to get a birthday card for our Nick, didn't we, on account of Mrs Dillrimple having no face left and being dead 'n' all?"
"Ooh, that's right. You are clever. Still, you always did have an eye for the out of the ordinary."

Nothing for Grantham.

4 comments:

Gin said...

Sounds like our "America's Most Wanted" TV show. They claim there have been lots of crimes solved too. Good point about why someone remembers details suddenly. Could it have something to do with $$$$$? Huge rewards?

I think it's funny to that some creep who thinks he's gotten away with the perfect crime suddenly sees himself all over the TV and then before he can get away, the coppers are at his door.

Arabella said...

I'm sorry but that's fucking hysterical. Yes, yes, I'm drinking rum and I shouldn't but still..vaair vair funnee.

Vicus Scurra said...

Thou shalt not take the piss out of matters involving Kirsty.
Say you are very sorry now.
I would molest a stoat just to hear her read my name out.

dinahmow said...

I recall, back in the Dark Ages, there was a Shaw Taylor(?) show and kids were fascinated;used to hang around all sorts of dodgy dives, hoping to expose villains. Then one villain exposed himself to a kid and there were howls for the show to be cut.
Please tell Mr.S. that the RSPCA have been alerted to possible stoat molestation.

WEDNESDAY, 21 NOVEMBER 2007

SHORTS DON'T MATTER! 1. From the greatest programme ever made about association football, Barnstoneworth United FC manager Mr Dainty delivers one of the finest English soliloqiues of all time.......and afterwards, spare a thought for the club steward's wife Vera (YOU ONLY HAVE TO WATCH HALF OF THE CLIP!!).

Monday, 12 November 2007

Not everyone who agonises over their life is a painter. Some of us agonise because we're NOT painters.

....And On the Subject of Great Public Services

I know most of you have heard this marvellous song by those doctors who are the Amateur Transplants......but I think the video is a nice addition. P.S. If there are kids in the room I'd shuffle them out before hitting play.

...There's More

On the subject of those great doctors, here is their version of More Than Words which presents their challenging views on women outside Watford. The very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither, coming from Cumbria, is a huge fan. Again, get those kids out of the room!

Leave Britney Alone, Ok!!!

Oh...........my............God!!!!! My heartfelt thanks go to BGT for this. I won't say much more, I don't need to. Mr Loony of Loonytown, USA (I think it's a bloke, anyway), says it all. I fear he may be wound too tight for.....well.....well for everywhere, really!

Tuesday, 18 September 2007.

I wish I'd sung this! For non-Americans, and with apologies to all the smart arses out there who already knew, the FCC is the Federal Communications Commission and it monitors TV and radio output in the States - a sort of broadcast police - while the EPA is the Yanks' so-called Environmental Protection Agency, a body which does exactly the opposite of what it says on the can. (P.S. We went to the same school, you know? Eric and me, that is, not George, Martha, Dick and Condoleeza and me. I don't think they went to school.) P.P.S. Please see below if you are I Like The View, Malc or Doris.

To Make You Laugh and Cry

I was listening to this on a Sunday, the very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither is a Catholic, Tom Lehrer is one of my all-time heroes and this is one of his best.............no other reasons. On a more sombre note (and with thanks to Fish for coming up with this Woman's-Own-passes-the-time-in-the-dentist's-waiting-room nonsense), why not get a computer to tell you that you are a waste of space and your life is a sham of a mockery of a farce? Ok, it's from one of those poxy dating sites but...go on, take the test. You ain't got much to beat!!
This Is My Life, Rated
Life: 4.2
Mind: 4.1
Body: 2.7
Spirit: 8
Friends/Family: 1.6
Love: 0
Finance: 5.9
Take the Rate My Life Quiz
Apparently, in my case, "computer say 'no!'"

I First Saw This When I Was Little - And Loved It! I Hope That Explains a Few Things

Fuck, Fuckety, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck

It has been pointed out to me that, particularly for one whose profession is supposedly literary, my language is getting worse. My use of the "F" word is, I am told, far too prevalent and hence loses impact. To those who share this view I suggest you watch the following:

Tony Blair Isn't a Burglar - But If He Was.........

In the spirit of Gustav Holst's Jupiter and Manfred Mann's Earth Band, I feel like raising a smile today. The Big Green Thing alerted me to this and, for no other reason than to raise a smile on an otherwise crap Wednesday, I think it has to be shared. Grantham shall not have him - when he gets out of prison.

Life On The Edge - No Net.

I was wrong when I feared it might be a dull weekend, what with my pals being away, my soon-to-be ex-wife in rehab and only the dogs to play with. How wrong can a man be? This much fun must surely be illegal? Just click to see the japes and hoots I am having! Click again to see how things got REALLy exciting! Tomorrow we're going to chase pigeons.

The Good Old U.S. of A. - Guardians of Freedom and Democracy. Nothing to Be Scared of, Then?

Be honest........

IT'S THE QUIZ OF THE WEEK! JUST SCROLL DOWN AND HIT "FULL QUIZ".