**********************************************************WHY GRANTHAM? JUST CLICK:
TEXT **********************************************************

Sunday 20 January 2008

Spanish Fry


I had tapas last night.
Now call me unsophisticated if you like (and that's Mr Unsophisticated to you!), but I'd never had tapas before and, wanna know something? The next time I have it there will no longer be a hole in my arse!

Pither's latest rejection of Britain's entry into Europe followed a day out yesterday in Big City. I had gone with a bunch of pals to celebrate the birthdays of no fewer than four of our number and, before they read this and drum me out of the Fat, Forelorn and Forty-Something Club, I have to say a jolly good time was had by all.

The birthday boys.


The afternoon was spent touring half a dozen or so pubs in and around Big City's Jewellery Quarter, all bar one of which (The Villa Rose, pictured) turned out to be spectacularly unspectacular and served beer to match. Still, it's the company which makes a grand day out and with a dozen mutants with whom to chew the fat it was always going to be better than sitting at home cutting my toenails and watching Curtain Call at Cactus Creek.

Beer drunk, we made our way to an ultra-trendy quarter in the heart of Big City and an ultra-trendy tapas restaurant where we had booked a table for 7pm. You could almost hear the Egon Ronay stars falling off the outside of the building as we shambled inside. I think if they'd known what to expect the staff would have put straw down and laid on a couple of troughs for us!
Anyway, we declined the offer of complimentary goatee beards (to match those worn by seemingly all the beautiful young things already in the restaurant) and took our tubular
steel and sculpted softwood seats to await the comida. To save faffing around, we each ordered a set offering-for-one and as the dishes began to appear so did my knowledge of Spanish.

Firstly, I was led to believe that "tapa" literally meant "lid". Well, that's not true. Tapas more accurately translates as either "fuck all!" or "twiglets". Ok, ok, ok, I know tapas are traditionally appetisers but if that's the case then who in the holy name of fuck decided that it would be a good idea to make them into an entire cuisine? I mean, if Johnny Spaniard came over here and was given a meal consisting of one hundredth of a bowl of soup, followed by a twenty seventh of a prawn cocktail, followed by one millionth of a melon with one thousandth of a spoonful of pate to finish I think he'd be demanding his pesetas back quicker than he could say "We're not all Fascists any more, honest!"

I am a 16-stone bloke. I had entered the restaurant having consumed just one cheese cob and my entire bodyweight in beer since 7am. Under normal circumstances, had a middle-aged cow been tethered to my table at that stage of the evening I would have had my fork into it and been down to the hooves before the waiter had brought the wine list! Imagine my slight disappointment then when "a fillet of anchove" was slid in front of me. Not a shoal of anchove, you notice. Not even A WHOLE fucking anchove, oh dear me no. No, a fucking FILLET OF ANCHOVE!!!!. Who the fuck had they got working in the kitchen? A microsurgeon? How the buggery bollocks do you fillet an anchove? The fucking thing is only two angstroms thick to start with!! I was shitting it each time someone came in the restaurant because the inrush of air could have blown it off the plate and seen it dissipate in the atmosphere!

One thing I did know, however, was how my anchove had died - it had been drowned in olive oil!! Death by olive oil seemed to be a recurrant theme in tapas cuisine, as it turned out. Next up were a couple of asparagus. Not ordinary aspaparaus, mind you. No, "white" asparagus. Do you know the difference between normal asparagus and white asparagus? Yup, one's green, one's white, one's not poncey, the other is. Apart from that, they taste exactly the fucking same.

Anyway, after two courses and with 0.0043 grammes of food inside me with a slightly lower nutrific value than the table at which I was sitting, I was seriously beginning to worry that I might not make it through alive. I think even Karen Carpenter would have been getting peckish by that stage! Admittedly, we were getting peppered with olives which kept coming from the kitchen like buckshot from a blunderbuss but trying to stay alive on something you normally just fish out of a vodka martini is no easy task.

Joy of joys then when I was told that the exotic sounding "patatas bravas" were on their way. Sadly, the translation turned out to be "chips the size and shape of dice in ketchup". To save time, let me give you some other translations gleaned on the night:

Sardinas al ajillo - anorexic sardine poisoned with lemon and garlic.

Embutiidos - Spanish cured meats the size of a watch face and cut so thin you can see the name of who made your plate through them.

Primientos rojos con anchoas - three slices of red pepper softened to the consistency of snot....with another fucking anchove.

Almendras - half a handful of fucking nuts.

Gambas al ajiilo - a prawn the size of a hamster's penis which, when de-shelled, is the size of a premature baby hamster's penis.

That, I think, was about it. There were a worrying few moments at the end of the meal when the waiters came out en-masse to our table. I seriously thought that they were going to demand that we build a railway but they only wanted to make sure we paid up and didn't do a runner. Chance would have been a fine thing. We barely had the energy to stand, let alone run!

So, in a nutshell (as, indeed, the entire meal could have fitted), I am not a big fan of tapas. As the Spanish equivalent of twiglets they are fine - something to nibble on while you're having a beer. As a meal for any creature which is larger than a gerbil and is not chained to a radiator in Baghdad, they are inadequate.
Tapas can go to Grantham.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pienso que usted encontrará en España que no hay cosa tal que los "tapas barran" apenas una barra que proporcione los convites minúsculos llamados los tapas y absolutamente a menudo para nada. La versión británica es justa un trabajo corporativo de la dinero-cavadura para mirar la cadera y los españoles sirviendo el restaurante del alimento labran cuando debe realmente ser el equivalente inglés de los scratchings del cerdo o del huevo escogido.

Barry Lawrence said...

Well, you may have a point.

Barry Lawrence said...

Scorchio, scorchio!!

Anonymous said...

inglés animal!!

Betty said...

Ahem. I've have problems with Tapas when holidaying in Spain, which makes eating out quite difficult. I can remember ordering a so-called main course called Mountain Sausages (?) in Barcelona and being served with three chipolata sized sausages, and that was it. The people who live up mountains in Spain must be as skinny as rakes.

fiwa said...

Heeehee... and you can't even blame this one on a woman, it was all men! Thank you for saving me the time though, a girlfriend has been trying to get me to go to a tapas bar that just opened up near our office. Besides the tiny portions, none of that sounds particularly good anyway.

Anonymous said...

Follow the man who has just started spainish classes and missed a couple of lessons

think that you will find in Spain that is no thing so that the “covers sweep” as soon as a bar that provides convites very small calls the covers and absolutely often for anything. The British version is right a corporative work of the money-digging to watch the hip and the Spaniards serving the restaurant as the food work when he really must be equivalent the English of scratchings of the pig or the chosen egg.

Gin said...

Beer drinking men need way more to eat than tapas! But at least you know now.

Next time opt for hot wings with bleu cheese dressing, nachos supreme, or some such manly meal!!

I'm glad you're back (and I'm back home to read you) I've missed you!!

Gin

WEDNESDAY, 21 NOVEMBER 2007

SHORTS DON'T MATTER! 1. From the greatest programme ever made about association football, Barnstoneworth United FC manager Mr Dainty delivers one of the finest English soliloqiues of all time.......and afterwards, spare a thought for the club steward's wife Vera (YOU ONLY HAVE TO WATCH HALF OF THE CLIP!!).

Monday, 12 November 2007

Not everyone who agonises over their life is a painter. Some of us agonise because we're NOT painters.

....And On the Subject of Great Public Services

I know most of you have heard this marvellous song by those doctors who are the Amateur Transplants......but I think the video is a nice addition. P.S. If there are kids in the room I'd shuffle them out before hitting play.

...There's More

On the subject of those great doctors, here is their version of More Than Words which presents their challenging views on women outside Watford. The very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither, coming from Cumbria, is a huge fan. Again, get those kids out of the room!

Leave Britney Alone, Ok!!!

Oh...........my............God!!!!! My heartfelt thanks go to BGT for this. I won't say much more, I don't need to. Mr Loony of Loonytown, USA (I think it's a bloke, anyway), says it all. I fear he may be wound too tight for.....well.....well for everywhere, really!

Tuesday, 18 September 2007.

I wish I'd sung this! For non-Americans, and with apologies to all the smart arses out there who already knew, the FCC is the Federal Communications Commission and it monitors TV and radio output in the States - a sort of broadcast police - while the EPA is the Yanks' so-called Environmental Protection Agency, a body which does exactly the opposite of what it says on the can. (P.S. We went to the same school, you know? Eric and me, that is, not George, Martha, Dick and Condoleeza and me. I don't think they went to school.) P.P.S. Please see below if you are I Like The View, Malc or Doris.

To Make You Laugh and Cry

I was listening to this on a Sunday, the very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither is a Catholic, Tom Lehrer is one of my all-time heroes and this is one of his best.............no other reasons. On a more sombre note (and with thanks to Fish for coming up with this Woman's-Own-passes-the-time-in-the-dentist's-waiting-room nonsense), why not get a computer to tell you that you are a waste of space and your life is a sham of a mockery of a farce? Ok, it's from one of those poxy dating sites but...go on, take the test. You ain't got much to beat!!
This Is My Life, Rated
Life: 4.2
Mind: 4.1
Body: 2.7
Spirit: 8
Friends/Family: 1.6
Love: 0
Finance: 5.9
Take the Rate My Life Quiz
Apparently, in my case, "computer say 'no!'"

I First Saw This When I Was Little - And Loved It! I Hope That Explains a Few Things

Fuck, Fuckety, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck

It has been pointed out to me that, particularly for one whose profession is supposedly literary, my language is getting worse. My use of the "F" word is, I am told, far too prevalent and hence loses impact. To those who share this view I suggest you watch the following:

Tony Blair Isn't a Burglar - But If He Was.........

In the spirit of Gustav Holst's Jupiter and Manfred Mann's Earth Band, I feel like raising a smile today. The Big Green Thing alerted me to this and, for no other reason than to raise a smile on an otherwise crap Wednesday, I think it has to be shared. Grantham shall not have him - when he gets out of prison.

Life On The Edge - No Net.

I was wrong when I feared it might be a dull weekend, what with my pals being away, my soon-to-be ex-wife in rehab and only the dogs to play with. How wrong can a man be? This much fun must surely be illegal? Just click to see the japes and hoots I am having! Click again to see how things got REALLy exciting! Tomorrow we're going to chase pigeons.

The Good Old U.S. of A. - Guardians of Freedom and Democracy. Nothing to Be Scared of, Then?

Be honest........

IT'S THE QUIZ OF THE WEEK! JUST SCROLL DOWN AND HIT "FULL QUIZ".