**********************************************************WHY GRANTHAM? JUST CLICK:
TEXT **********************************************************

Wednesday 6 December 2006

A Pearl in the Ocean of Piss-Poor Pubs.

What a Relief for Drinkers AND Dogs - a Lava-tree.

My pub - for even if I don't actually own it I have spent enough in there to buy the place five times over - is a brilliant pub! It is what a pub should be.
The secret of its brilliance lies just as much in what it doesn't have as in what it does. For instance, when you walk through the front door, no-one looking like an extra from Rainbow accosts you, grinning inanely, and asks "Have you been to a Harvester before?" There are no plastic plants, no pseudo-trendy, shite prints on the walls, no collections of jumble sale books no-one would ever want to read on the shelves and no rows of hideous ornaments or brass bedpans. No-one behind the bar wears a uniform, is unable to pull a pint properly or insists on asking at the end "Is there anything else I can get for you?" (Yeah, out of my face!)
My pub serves food but there are no 3ft-high boards plastered around the place telling you how to order and then listing exactly what will happen after you have done so - the customers have clambered sufficiently high enough up the evolutionary ladder to understand the complexities of "Can I have some food?", "Yeah, we'll bring it to you." Once you've ordered, you don't have to put a little, numbered model of Lord Mountbatten or the battle of Kursk on your table so the staff will remember what you are waiting for. No-one says "enjoy" or "have a nice day" once the comestibles have been dished out.
There is no 287-yard-long bar staffed by the other kind of barman prevalent in today's suppers - a lone, adenoidal youth who refuses to serve and who spends all his time trying to chat up some hideous, bloated, young, acne-riddled tart squeezed into an outfit too tight for Barbie.
There is also a complete absence of a "ballpool" full of screaming kids, all throwing up over each other and running around with rubber tomohawks.
Finally, it is not called "O'Flaherty's", "The Didgerydoo", "Pseudo Sam's Saloon" or any other such purile fucking name with the brainless theme carried on inside in an effort to make it stand out - from the 23.5 million other brainless "themed" pubs around the country.
What "my" pub does have, however, is great, fucking beer! Guest ales which are changed regularly, a gaffer (No Surrender Gav) who knows how to let the beer settle before serving it up, who knows how to clean the pipes out and then flush them through afterwards and who, together with his lovely missus, Jaki, cooks lovely grub on the premises, spurning the mass-produced, microwaveable, portion-controlled muck available everywhere else and given ridiculous menu write-ups involving words like "lovingly", "piquancy" and "hint".
There are lots of little rooms and snaking passages between them, there is live music at least once a week, a beer garden, a covered, benched area outside for us smokers when the ban comes in and one of the finest jukeboxes in the Western world - the music is piped into just two rooms so that if you are not in the mood you can enjoy a chat or some peace and quiet everywhere else.
You can take your dogs into the covered, smokers' den. Hell, there is even a tree growing out of the middle of the gents' to cater for them! There is certainly no notice on the bog wall proclaiming that "these facilities were last inspected at 12.08pm by Darren" (who did indeed look at them - but couldn't be arsed to clean up the sick, mop up that sea of urine or collect the used johnnies floating in it!)
What is the end result of all this? Loads of people use the pub, people of all ages. There are no scraps, no exhibitions of vomiting - just a great atmosphere provided by great people.
When the four-minute warning sounds you'll find me in there. Grantham can have all the chain boozers. If you find yourself in one of them on that final day though, be warned. It'll take more than three and a half minutes to get past either the "Have you been to a Harvester before?" bollocks or the "Fuck off, I'm talking to my bitch" routine. Not much time for a sup to bid farewell to Thatcher's Britain.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whilst I am sure we all have our own preferences for pubs, yours does seem a little short of furniture and its got a tree growing in it. Useful if you need to wash your hands I suppose. I like my pubs traditional but early greek toilet is pushing it a little.

Barry Lawrence said...

You can only see the lounge area! There is a reading room at the back, with a seat.

WEDNESDAY, 21 NOVEMBER 2007

SHORTS DON'T MATTER! 1. From the greatest programme ever made about association football, Barnstoneworth United FC manager Mr Dainty delivers one of the finest English soliloqiues of all time.......and afterwards, spare a thought for the club steward's wife Vera (YOU ONLY HAVE TO WATCH HALF OF THE CLIP!!).

Monday, 12 November 2007

Not everyone who agonises over their life is a painter. Some of us agonise because we're NOT painters.

....And On the Subject of Great Public Services

I know most of you have heard this marvellous song by those doctors who are the Amateur Transplants......but I think the video is a nice addition. P.S. If there are kids in the room I'd shuffle them out before hitting play.

...There's More

On the subject of those great doctors, here is their version of More Than Words which presents their challenging views on women outside Watford. The very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither, coming from Cumbria, is a huge fan. Again, get those kids out of the room!

Leave Britney Alone, Ok!!!

Oh...........my............God!!!!! My heartfelt thanks go to BGT for this. I won't say much more, I don't need to. Mr Loony of Loonytown, USA (I think it's a bloke, anyway), says it all. I fear he may be wound too tight for.....well.....well for everywhere, really!

Tuesday, 18 September 2007.

I wish I'd sung this! For non-Americans, and with apologies to all the smart arses out there who already knew, the FCC is the Federal Communications Commission and it monitors TV and radio output in the States - a sort of broadcast police - while the EPA is the Yanks' so-called Environmental Protection Agency, a body which does exactly the opposite of what it says on the can. (P.S. We went to the same school, you know? Eric and me, that is, not George, Martha, Dick and Condoleeza and me. I don't think they went to school.) P.P.S. Please see below if you are I Like The View, Malc or Doris.

To Make You Laugh and Cry

I was listening to this on a Sunday, the very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither is a Catholic, Tom Lehrer is one of my all-time heroes and this is one of his best.............no other reasons. On a more sombre note (and with thanks to Fish for coming up with this Woman's-Own-passes-the-time-in-the-dentist's-waiting-room nonsense), why not get a computer to tell you that you are a waste of space and your life is a sham of a mockery of a farce? Ok, it's from one of those poxy dating sites but...go on, take the test. You ain't got much to beat!!
This Is My Life, Rated
Life: 4.2
Mind: 4.1
Body: 2.7
Spirit: 8
Friends/Family: 1.6
Love: 0
Finance: 5.9
Take the Rate My Life Quiz
Apparently, in my case, "computer say 'no!'"

I First Saw This When I Was Little - And Loved It! I Hope That Explains a Few Things

Fuck, Fuckety, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck

It has been pointed out to me that, particularly for one whose profession is supposedly literary, my language is getting worse. My use of the "F" word is, I am told, far too prevalent and hence loses impact. To those who share this view I suggest you watch the following:

Tony Blair Isn't a Burglar - But If He Was.........

In the spirit of Gustav Holst's Jupiter and Manfred Mann's Earth Band, I feel like raising a smile today. The Big Green Thing alerted me to this and, for no other reason than to raise a smile on an otherwise crap Wednesday, I think it has to be shared. Grantham shall not have him - when he gets out of prison.

Life On The Edge - No Net.

I was wrong when I feared it might be a dull weekend, what with my pals being away, my soon-to-be ex-wife in rehab and only the dogs to play with. How wrong can a man be? This much fun must surely be illegal? Just click to see the japes and hoots I am having! Click again to see how things got REALLy exciting! Tomorrow we're going to chase pigeons.

The Good Old U.S. of A. - Guardians of Freedom and Democracy. Nothing to Be Scared of, Then?

Be honest........

IT'S THE QUIZ OF THE WEEK! JUST SCROLL DOWN AND HIT "FULL QUIZ".