**********************************************************WHY GRANTHAM? JUST CLICK:
TEXT **********************************************************

Sunday 23 September 2007

Blue is the Colour, Bullshit is the Game


Mrs Betty Adenoid of 23a, The Laurels, Ipswich, proves her husband's assertion that she is "an old cow" by falling victim to the latest plague to hit the country.


Oh my God! We're doomed, I tell ya'!! We're all doomed!!!
IT has finally arrived in Britain. Run for your lives, head for the hills. Run, for God's sake, run like the wind!
What exactly is IT, I don't hear you ask? Is IT, per chance, the Satan Bug? Is IT the Andromeda Strain? Has the Black Death decided to put in another appearance? God no, it's far worse than that. IT is..................blue tongue!! (pause for Dragnet-style horn playing).
Police are out in force this morning in the Ipswich area, no doubt closing off the outskirts from the rest of the world, handing out information leaflets to passing cows, slapping on-the-spot fines on truanting heifers and breaking up gangs of three or more bullocks found hanging around on street corners. Ladies and gentlemen, we have shifted to Def Con 2 and the alarm bells are ringing all over this sceptred isle.
Why? Yes, it's that tricky three-letter word again. I ask it again...why?
Right, here's the boring bit. Bear with me, it will lighten up again later.
Let me offer you a couple of quotes. Let's start with Mr Peter Martens, the man who is leading investigations at the Institute for Animal Health at Pirbright into the alleged outbreak.

He said: "The door is open for repeated infections of the disease which can infect sheep, as well as cattle, goats and deer, and has no known cure." Pretty scary, eh?

Now here is what Wikipedia has to say: "Bluetongue disease (also called catarrhal fever) is a non-contagious, insect-borne viral disease of ruminants, mainly sheep and less frequently of cattle, goats, buffalo, deer, dromedaries and antelope. There are no reports of human transmission. It is caused by the Bluetongue virus." It goes on to say that, although non-contagious, it can be spread by midges and, while the recovery period from the bug is slow, it is rarely fatal. Not quite so alarming, you might think?

The symptoms, apparently, are fever, excessive salivation, swelling of the face and swelling and cyanosis of the tongue, something which gives it its blue appearance. In other words.......................it's just makes your bovine/ovine pets feel a bit off-colour (literally!) and, what with the swelling 'n' all, rules them out of the pub and party scene for a while. Let's face it, it's hardly the bloody ebola virus!!

It doesn't affect humans so what the bleedin' 'ell is the problem? If anything, it's a bonus for those of us who like tongue because we'll be getting more for our money! The cows, pigs and sheep invariably get better and if they do happen to be moaning that they're still not feeling themselves as they're led onto the truck bound for the abattoir, so what? It's the trip on that truck which is far more harmful, not only to their health but also to my sensitivities.
Does it really matter that the joint of beef, lamb or pork you will no doubt tuck into today came from a creature which, during it's last day on earth and before it was about to have a bullet fired into its head, was "a bit bunged up and not feeling 100 per cent"?
What next? With all this manic food labelling the government seems obsessed with of late, are we one day going to find a pack of lamb chops in the supermarket with a note attached saying "Warning - as this sheep went to slaughter she was a bit worried about how her youngest, Nigel, was starting to play up lately and had been really down because her other half, Brian, had started seeing another ewe"?
"Caution - this cow suffered from depression (Understandable, considering its chosen career? - Ed.) and was up late last night because the chickens were having a bit of an all-nighter and so she hardly had a wink of sleep!"?
Je ne pense pas!!! It's just another fucking scare put around by the government to keep us in line and make us think that, without them and their valiant efforts to ward off the nasties, we'd all be doomed.
I have another theory. Hu humm. This is my theory, what I have (for Python fans only). I think we're being too soft on our livestock these days. They have got weak. Let's face it, they're a bunch of bloody hypochondriacs! It wasn't like that in my day, oh dear me no. Our mobile Sunday dinners didn't start running around, panicking the moment they developed a sniffle. They didn't start moaning and calling in government veterinary experts just because their hoofs or trotters were starting to feel a bit sore. No, they just got on with things! They never moaned, they never had days off sick. They were REAL men/women/cows/sheep/ruminants/ungulates.
All this namby-pamby, whimpy-pimpy, hoity-toity treatment of the livestock of today has come back to haunt us, I say. Farmers - lay down the law a bit!! Get some discipline and respect back into your charges. Toughen them up! Bring in National Service for livestock!!!
In the meantime, mindless health scares, particularly in the farming industry, can go to Grantham.

7 comments:

Fish said...

I say down with the pigs.
Slaughter them. Cut them in to pieces, and on the barbeque. Just dont let Reg do it.

Its a disgrace, this humaniseing of food products.
There is a Chinese sayin: a dog that barks, isnt cooked enough.
I mean what's next, respect the French?

Anonymous said...

I got my blue tongue from drinking to much esso parrafin, never did me any harm and it cleared up the constipatation.

I, Like The View said...

ooh - that person looks likes they have just eaten a rather wonderful gobstopper!

The Birdwatcher said...

I heard this morning on the ever reliable radio 4 that 40% of the British herd has a form of ecoli that can be caught by humans and for which there is no known cure. The policy when cattle are discovered with this is to do nothing. If they have FMD, which though unpleasant to the animal and renders them less than economically efficient, poses no threat to humans, they slaughter the herd and all those in the vicinity. Nice to see that DEFRA has its priorities so sorted.

Fish said...

For Gods sake Pither, where are you? Dont die on me now.

Barry Lawrence said...

Hello All,

Thank you for your comments. BW,we seem to be as one. Salughter some sense into the population, that's what I say.

Anon,
Puts a tiger in your tank - and needs a plug in your bottom!

ILTV,
Don't diss Mrs Adenoid -she knows where you live!

Fish,
Remember that old slogan - never fear, Reg is here!!!

Fish said...

well, its about time. I was getting bored here.

WEDNESDAY, 21 NOVEMBER 2007

SHORTS DON'T MATTER! 1. From the greatest programme ever made about association football, Barnstoneworth United FC manager Mr Dainty delivers one of the finest English soliloqiues of all time.......and afterwards, spare a thought for the club steward's wife Vera (YOU ONLY HAVE TO WATCH HALF OF THE CLIP!!).

Monday, 12 November 2007

Not everyone who agonises over their life is a painter. Some of us agonise because we're NOT painters.

....And On the Subject of Great Public Services

I know most of you have heard this marvellous song by those doctors who are the Amateur Transplants......but I think the video is a nice addition. P.S. If there are kids in the room I'd shuffle them out before hitting play.

...There's More

On the subject of those great doctors, here is their version of More Than Words which presents their challenging views on women outside Watford. The very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither, coming from Cumbria, is a huge fan. Again, get those kids out of the room!

Leave Britney Alone, Ok!!!

Oh...........my............God!!!!! My heartfelt thanks go to BGT for this. I won't say much more, I don't need to. Mr Loony of Loonytown, USA (I think it's a bloke, anyway), says it all. I fear he may be wound too tight for.....well.....well for everywhere, really!

Tuesday, 18 September 2007.

I wish I'd sung this! For non-Americans, and with apologies to all the smart arses out there who already knew, the FCC is the Federal Communications Commission and it monitors TV and radio output in the States - a sort of broadcast police - while the EPA is the Yanks' so-called Environmental Protection Agency, a body which does exactly the opposite of what it says on the can. (P.S. We went to the same school, you know? Eric and me, that is, not George, Martha, Dick and Condoleeza and me. I don't think they went to school.) P.P.S. Please see below if you are I Like The View, Malc or Doris.

To Make You Laugh and Cry

I was listening to this on a Sunday, the very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither is a Catholic, Tom Lehrer is one of my all-time heroes and this is one of his best.............no other reasons. On a more sombre note (and with thanks to Fish for coming up with this Woman's-Own-passes-the-time-in-the-dentist's-waiting-room nonsense), why not get a computer to tell you that you are a waste of space and your life is a sham of a mockery of a farce? Ok, it's from one of those poxy dating sites but...go on, take the test. You ain't got much to beat!!
This Is My Life, Rated
Life: 4.2
Mind: 4.1
Body: 2.7
Spirit: 8
Friends/Family: 1.6
Love: 0
Finance: 5.9
Take the Rate My Life Quiz
Apparently, in my case, "computer say 'no!'"

I First Saw This When I Was Little - And Loved It! I Hope That Explains a Few Things

Fuck, Fuckety, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck

It has been pointed out to me that, particularly for one whose profession is supposedly literary, my language is getting worse. My use of the "F" word is, I am told, far too prevalent and hence loses impact. To those who share this view I suggest you watch the following:

Tony Blair Isn't a Burglar - But If He Was.........

In the spirit of Gustav Holst's Jupiter and Manfred Mann's Earth Band, I feel like raising a smile today. The Big Green Thing alerted me to this and, for no other reason than to raise a smile on an otherwise crap Wednesday, I think it has to be shared. Grantham shall not have him - when he gets out of prison.

Life On The Edge - No Net.

I was wrong when I feared it might be a dull weekend, what with my pals being away, my soon-to-be ex-wife in rehab and only the dogs to play with. How wrong can a man be? This much fun must surely be illegal? Just click to see the japes and hoots I am having! Click again to see how things got REALLy exciting! Tomorrow we're going to chase pigeons.

The Good Old U.S. of A. - Guardians of Freedom and Democracy. Nothing to Be Scared of, Then?

Be honest........

IT'S THE QUIZ OF THE WEEK! JUST SCROLL DOWN AND HIT "FULL QUIZ".