**********************************************************WHY GRANTHAM? JUST CLICK:
TEXT **********************************************************

Saturday 15 September 2007

Man Make Fire Make Food!


"Stand aside, please, stand aside. Nothing to see here."


Were you thinking of going out today? I wouldn't if I were you. Stay indoors - it'll be safer.
You see, the sun is shining, the sky is clear over Small Town and so Pither is going to go for it................yes, it's barbecue time!!!

I've taken the dust sheet off the Flamimax 9000 and I'm going to pump that baby up later and toss on an assortment of animal carcasses. Now I know that, in addition to being a bit twee and suburban, having a barby is not exactly a big deal to the average person but, well, I'm not the average person. Me and barbecues have a bit of a history.
I identified the problem some years ago. It's all down to libations, you see. A few glasses of wine complement al fresco dining perfectly - all the manuals tell you so. What the manuals don't tell you, however, is that it is not particularly big or clever to hit the sauce about three hours beforehand and work your way through several bottles of Chateau Sheepdip before messing around with man's red fire!
The tug of the tincture has always been my failing when it comes to barbecuing, to such an extent that Large County's fire brigade and I came to an agreement some while ago.......If I gave up on barbecues they'd drop some of the outstanding prosecutions against me.
My big chum The Farmer is the barbecue king. He can rustle one up in minutes, dish out lashings of perfectly cooked goodies and have the flames out and everything packed away before you can say "Stamp on that fence someone, it's really starting to catch!"
I, on the other hand, can neither light a barby nor cook anything on it which does not result in a minibus to casualty for all my guests.
With that in mind, I have not had a barbecue for ages, certainly not this year. Also, I decided to never again pile up old furniture, faded copies of Razzle and sections of the lounge flooring to make my pyre. Instead, I invested in the unadventurous Flamimax to cut out the dangers should I ever feel the need to eat burnt sausages in the company of flies ever again.
Well, that time has come because, after a while, you get to miss eating food which
is incinerated on the outside but raw on the inside while sitting amid a cloud of insects and looking out on piles of dogshit on the lawn.
The Flamimax, as I said, has been unsheathed and the very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither has been down to the butcher's to stock up on dead animals. Importantly, however, not a drop has passed my lips so far today and there are just four hours to go until firefood time - I'm sure I will last out.
Anticipation is in the air. The dogs have already taken themselves upstairs to crawl under my bed, the neighbours have locked all their windows and Mrs Pither has given me the customary lecture:

"It's not too near the fence, is it?"

"No, my soon-to-be-blackened one."

"You will make sure everything's cooked properly this time, won't you?"

"Aw! That takes all the fun out of it!"

"Be serious. I don't want a repeat of the last one. Dave and Jenny still aren't speaking to us, you know?"

"They'll come round. Anyway, I still say it wasn't my fault. There are loads of places you can pick up cholera."

"...and you won't drink too much, will you?"

"I shall be as one of the Temperance League."

"...and you won't have the sherry when the beer's gone?"

"The thought never even entered."

"You do know how to connect the gas bottle up properly, don't you?"

"Hell, I'll wing it! How many ways can there be for it to connect?"

"Oh God! Shall I ask Steve next door to come and connect it for you?"

"He's still not speaking to us either, remember?"









"Oh yes. Damn! That reminds me, Jane hasn't got her washing out, has she?"

"Not anymore!"

"Does it matter that the Flamimax is so near to the fish pond?"

"That's just one of the new safety features I've built in this time should there be, let's say, a problem."

"Can't we just go out for a curry? Please?"

Well, it's now just three hours and 50 minutes until firefood time and my resolve has started to crack. I think I'll just have a livener. After all, it will relax me and get me in the mood. Mrs P has moved all the wine but, unbeknown to her, I know where she's put it - it's at the end of the garage, under some tarpaulin.
Cheers to one and all and remember, don't open those windows or come outside until you hear the all-clear!

4 comments:

I, Like The View said...

I just don't get men and BBQs - it's just so much easier to cook everything in the kitchen as per normal and bring it outside on a tray or even served directly on plates

sorry for being such a damp squib

Barry Lawrence said...

ILTV,

The key to it all is in the post title. It's man and fire, see? It's primitive. Throw in a cave, a couple of wild boar and a woman with long hair with a penchant for being dragged along the ground and you've got the lot. Trouble is, the Flamimax 9000 doesn't give the full feeling of being an authentic caveman - and I've yet to meet ANYONE who's particularly keen on being towed along by their hair!

I, Like The View said...

I am a great believer that we are all cave men at heart - and have written on this subject extensively (and hunter-gatherers)

but I won't bore you with it

:-)

Fish said...

I heard once, Mrs. T. had a fetishizem for being dragged by her hair. But I also heard there was not one cave man interested in her.

WEDNESDAY, 21 NOVEMBER 2007

SHORTS DON'T MATTER! 1. From the greatest programme ever made about association football, Barnstoneworth United FC manager Mr Dainty delivers one of the finest English soliloqiues of all time.......and afterwards, spare a thought for the club steward's wife Vera (YOU ONLY HAVE TO WATCH HALF OF THE CLIP!!).

Monday, 12 November 2007

Not everyone who agonises over their life is a painter. Some of us agonise because we're NOT painters.

....And On the Subject of Great Public Services

I know most of you have heard this marvellous song by those doctors who are the Amateur Transplants......but I think the video is a nice addition. P.S. If there are kids in the room I'd shuffle them out before hitting play.

...There's More

On the subject of those great doctors, here is their version of More Than Words which presents their challenging views on women outside Watford. The very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither, coming from Cumbria, is a huge fan. Again, get those kids out of the room!

Leave Britney Alone, Ok!!!

Oh...........my............God!!!!! My heartfelt thanks go to BGT for this. I won't say much more, I don't need to. Mr Loony of Loonytown, USA (I think it's a bloke, anyway), says it all. I fear he may be wound too tight for.....well.....well for everywhere, really!

Tuesday, 18 September 2007.

I wish I'd sung this! For non-Americans, and with apologies to all the smart arses out there who already knew, the FCC is the Federal Communications Commission and it monitors TV and radio output in the States - a sort of broadcast police - while the EPA is the Yanks' so-called Environmental Protection Agency, a body which does exactly the opposite of what it says on the can. (P.S. We went to the same school, you know? Eric and me, that is, not George, Martha, Dick and Condoleeza and me. I don't think they went to school.) P.P.S. Please see below if you are I Like The View, Malc or Doris.

To Make You Laugh and Cry

I was listening to this on a Sunday, the very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither is a Catholic, Tom Lehrer is one of my all-time heroes and this is one of his best.............no other reasons. On a more sombre note (and with thanks to Fish for coming up with this Woman's-Own-passes-the-time-in-the-dentist's-waiting-room nonsense), why not get a computer to tell you that you are a waste of space and your life is a sham of a mockery of a farce? Ok, it's from one of those poxy dating sites but...go on, take the test. You ain't got much to beat!!
This Is My Life, Rated
Life: 4.2
Mind: 4.1
Body: 2.7
Spirit: 8
Friends/Family: 1.6
Love: 0
Finance: 5.9
Take the Rate My Life Quiz
Apparently, in my case, "computer say 'no!'"

I First Saw This When I Was Little - And Loved It! I Hope That Explains a Few Things

Fuck, Fuckety, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck

It has been pointed out to me that, particularly for one whose profession is supposedly literary, my language is getting worse. My use of the "F" word is, I am told, far too prevalent and hence loses impact. To those who share this view I suggest you watch the following:

Tony Blair Isn't a Burglar - But If He Was.........

In the spirit of Gustav Holst's Jupiter and Manfred Mann's Earth Band, I feel like raising a smile today. The Big Green Thing alerted me to this and, for no other reason than to raise a smile on an otherwise crap Wednesday, I think it has to be shared. Grantham shall not have him - when he gets out of prison.

Life On The Edge - No Net.

I was wrong when I feared it might be a dull weekend, what with my pals being away, my soon-to-be ex-wife in rehab and only the dogs to play with. How wrong can a man be? This much fun must surely be illegal? Just click to see the japes and hoots I am having! Click again to see how things got REALLy exciting! Tomorrow we're going to chase pigeons.

The Good Old U.S. of A. - Guardians of Freedom and Democracy. Nothing to Be Scared of, Then?

Be honest........

IT'S THE QUIZ OF THE WEEK! JUST SCROLL DOWN AND HIT "FULL QUIZ".