**********************************************************WHY GRANTHAM? JUST CLICK:
TEXT **********************************************************

Saturday 1 September 2007

A Word In Your Shell-Like.


I have been away from Pither Towers for most of this week. I am currently staying with pals just outside Big City East because that is where my work is at the moment and, being unable to commute as usual owing to my slight problem in the leg department, said friends are running me to and from the office while putting me up out of hours.
What a boring intro! Anyway, I felt the need to put fingertips to keyboard because, over the last few days, I have found myself calling a great deal on my favourite word in the English language and I wanted to put my love for it down in writing.
The word is very short but it is, or at least should be, the most important in our vocabulary. The word is......................"why?".
As a journalist, I was brought up on that sickly rhyme penned by well known Days-Of-The-Raj-Neo-Nazi-Hack-Novelist-Poet Rudyard Kipling, namely:
"I kept six honest serving men,
They taught me all I knew.
Their names were what and where and when
And how and why and who?"

A good ditty to remember if ever you need to check you've got all the important details for a story. The trouble is, one of those "serving men" is very seldom called into service, not just by reporters but by...............well............most people. Asking "why" has never been popular. I, on the other hand, have always bucked the trend and blurted the word out given the least encouragement.
It started in my childhood, as most things did:
"Reginald!! Come and kiss grandma!" - "Why? She's got a fucking moustache!"

"Reggie, you can't spend all day in bed." - "Why? Mother, you really haven't thought that one through. I think you seriously need to consider the accuracy of that statement."

"Reg, you've got to eat your greens." - "Why? If God had meant us to eat cabbage he wouldn't have invented Nesquik."

It continued at school:
"You must wear black shoes outdoors but brown shoes indoors." - "Why? I vaguely recall the not coveting your neighbour's oxen bit but nothing about shoes."

"You must wear a white shirt for parents' evenings." "Ooh, ooh, ooh, Mr Blenkinsop, Mr Blenkinsop, Mr Blenkinsop, pick me, pick me, pick me"
"Yes, Pither."
"Urrm.............why?"

"Your hair must be cut so that it does not reach down to your collar and is off your ears." - "Why? Einstein looked like a geriatric Ken Dodd and he didn't do so fucking bad!"

On to college and the chance to give people you really didn't have a lot of time for a nervous breakdown:
"So, as you can see, the development of the basic lever was a massive step forward for mankind."
"Why?"
"Well, Archimedes said that if he had a place on which to stand, by use of a lever he could move the earth."
"Why would he want to do that?"
"I'm not saying he wanted to just......well.....just.....just that he could."
"Just because he came out with some ludicrous claim about an entirely hypothetical scenario he can hardly be judged to have provided evidence of some massive leap forward for mankind."
"Yes he can."
"Why?"
"Because.....because.......well......because it showed the enormous potential of the lever."
"Why? Saying that you could shove over the earth if you had a 260,000-mile long piece of indestructa-wood which rested on a 175 billion-ton fulcrum which hovered in mid-space and was immovable is not exactly a reliable claim. I mean, you don't hear me going around saying that if my mother had been the Duke of Bedford and I had been born in the year 3 BC and I had been endowed with superpowers by a highly intelligent life force from a distant galaxy I could have been president of the board of trade!"
"Shut up Pither and put some clothes on!"

Now I am almost a grown up I find myself saying "why?" more and more. Why, for instance, do I have to wear a seatbelt while driving my car? Why the fuck would I want "a milkshake with that order" if I hadn't fucking asked for one? Why, in the name of all that is holy, would I even begin to think that my call was important to anyone, let alone to "them"? Why do I have to put my wheelie bin out with the handles facing the road? Why would I want to start my own pottery business, thereby forcing me to approach Lloyds fucking bastard Bank for a loan? Why would I want an electronically operated sun awning whose major selling point is that it can be worked by a golden retriever? Why do the gas and electricity meter readers call round during the day when you are out at work earning money to pay the gas and electricty bills and then post an accusatory note through your door which positively shouts "We called round to read your meter but you were out!!!" Why do you only notice there is no toilet paper in the loo 3.4 picoseconds AFTER you have just evacuated your bowels? Why do I keep getting these blinding headaches which cause me to black out and when I recover consciousness I find myself gripping a blood-stained knife and standing over the lifeless body of an innocent woman who moments earlier had stopped me in the town centre to ask if I was happy with my gas supplier? Why would some git think he had even the remotest fucking chance of selling me something by cold-calling and beginning a phone conversation with the words "Hellooo Mr Pathery, how are you today?" I might just be labouring the point a tad but the list does seem endless.
My family, my teachers, my lecturers and, latterly, my employers have all said that I have a problem with authority. That is just not true. I have absolutely no problem with authority. The problem I have is with meaningless rules. By way of an example, there are signs up at petrol stations stating that smoking is prohibited. There is a reason for that, a reason I can understand, and consequently I obey the command. When, however, I'm told that I am not allowed to sit in an empty First Class carriage on a train, having bought a standard ticket and found that there is not even standing room in cattle class, I tend to go somewhat apeshit!
Authority figures are, I admit, often the cause of some concern to me. You see, I have this stupid notion that to have authority you have to earn respect. With regard to that, I would take orders from people like, say, Nelson Mandela, Lawrence of Arabia (even though he's dead!) and a number of reporters with whom I have worked and who have proved themselves to be infinitely better at the job than I am. Just wearing a hat with "in charge" written on it does not, however, entitle the wearer to respect and the right to exercise authority.
I think I've lost my train of thought now. Why? I can't remember. Anyway, it's now 5.45am, I have not been to bed and so there is nothing for Grantham. Why? - because I'm too tired to think of anything.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

From the late Douglas Adams:

"Why" is the only question that bothers people enough to have an entire letter of the alphabet named after it.

The alphabet does not go "A B C D What? When? How?" but it does go "V W X Why? Z."

"Why?" is always the most difficult question to answer. You know where you are when someone asks you "What's the time?" or "When was the battle of 1066?" or "How do these seatbelts work that go tight when you slam the brakes on, Daddy?" The answers are easy and are, respectively, "Seven-thirty-five in the evening," "Ten-fifteen in the morning," and "Don't ask stupid questions."

But when you hear the word "Why?," you know you've got one of the biggest unanswerables on your hands, such as "Why are we born?" or "Why do we die?" and "Why do we spend so much of the intervening time receiving junk mail?"

Or this one:

"Will you go to bed with me?"

"Why?"

There's only ever been one good answer to that question "Why?" and perhaps we should have that in the alphabet as well. There's room for it. "Why?" doesn't have to be the last word, it isn't even the last letter. How would it be if the alphabet ended, "V W X Why? Z," but "V W X Why not?"

Don't ask stupid questions.

Barry Lawrence said...

Dear Anon,

Ah, but "why not?" is not an answer. It is just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says......no it isn't.....yes it is.......no it isn't!!!

I, Like The View said...

I think you need a big hug*, dear Mr Pither. . .

((((((((((reg)))))))))))))

why? dunno, just a feeling. . . of course, I might be wrong why? because I often am. . .

Barry Lawrence said...

Dear ILTV,

I know, I can come across as a dribbling basket case - but I'm not really. Hugs never go amiss, however.

I, Like The View said...

have another then

(((((u))))))

WEDNESDAY, 21 NOVEMBER 2007

SHORTS DON'T MATTER! 1. From the greatest programme ever made about association football, Barnstoneworth United FC manager Mr Dainty delivers one of the finest English soliloqiues of all time.......and afterwards, spare a thought for the club steward's wife Vera (YOU ONLY HAVE TO WATCH HALF OF THE CLIP!!).

Monday, 12 November 2007

Not everyone who agonises over their life is a painter. Some of us agonise because we're NOT painters.

....And On the Subject of Great Public Services

I know most of you have heard this marvellous song by those doctors who are the Amateur Transplants......but I think the video is a nice addition. P.S. If there are kids in the room I'd shuffle them out before hitting play.

...There's More

On the subject of those great doctors, here is their version of More Than Words which presents their challenging views on women outside Watford. The very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither, coming from Cumbria, is a huge fan. Again, get those kids out of the room!

Leave Britney Alone, Ok!!!

Oh...........my............God!!!!! My heartfelt thanks go to BGT for this. I won't say much more, I don't need to. Mr Loony of Loonytown, USA (I think it's a bloke, anyway), says it all. I fear he may be wound too tight for.....well.....well for everywhere, really!

Tuesday, 18 September 2007.

I wish I'd sung this! For non-Americans, and with apologies to all the smart arses out there who already knew, the FCC is the Federal Communications Commission and it monitors TV and radio output in the States - a sort of broadcast police - while the EPA is the Yanks' so-called Environmental Protection Agency, a body which does exactly the opposite of what it says on the can. (P.S. We went to the same school, you know? Eric and me, that is, not George, Martha, Dick and Condoleeza and me. I don't think they went to school.) P.P.S. Please see below if you are I Like The View, Malc or Doris.

To Make You Laugh and Cry

I was listening to this on a Sunday, the very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither is a Catholic, Tom Lehrer is one of my all-time heroes and this is one of his best.............no other reasons. On a more sombre note (and with thanks to Fish for coming up with this Woman's-Own-passes-the-time-in-the-dentist's-waiting-room nonsense), why not get a computer to tell you that you are a waste of space and your life is a sham of a mockery of a farce? Ok, it's from one of those poxy dating sites but...go on, take the test. You ain't got much to beat!!
This Is My Life, Rated
Life: 4.2
Mind: 4.1
Body: 2.7
Spirit: 8
Friends/Family: 1.6
Love: 0
Finance: 5.9
Take the Rate My Life Quiz
Apparently, in my case, "computer say 'no!'"

I First Saw This When I Was Little - And Loved It! I Hope That Explains a Few Things

Fuck, Fuckety, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck

It has been pointed out to me that, particularly for one whose profession is supposedly literary, my language is getting worse. My use of the "F" word is, I am told, far too prevalent and hence loses impact. To those who share this view I suggest you watch the following:

Tony Blair Isn't a Burglar - But If He Was.........

In the spirit of Gustav Holst's Jupiter and Manfred Mann's Earth Band, I feel like raising a smile today. The Big Green Thing alerted me to this and, for no other reason than to raise a smile on an otherwise crap Wednesday, I think it has to be shared. Grantham shall not have him - when he gets out of prison.

Life On The Edge - No Net.

I was wrong when I feared it might be a dull weekend, what with my pals being away, my soon-to-be ex-wife in rehab and only the dogs to play with. How wrong can a man be? This much fun must surely be illegal? Just click to see the japes and hoots I am having! Click again to see how things got REALLy exciting! Tomorrow we're going to chase pigeons.

The Good Old U.S. of A. - Guardians of Freedom and Democracy. Nothing to Be Scared of, Then?

Be honest........

IT'S THE QUIZ OF THE WEEK! JUST SCROLL DOWN AND HIT "FULL QUIZ".