**********************************************************WHY GRANTHAM? JUST CLICK:
TEXT **********************************************************

Sunday 30 September 2007

Tea Time?


Either it's a totally half-arsed idea which just won't sell or it's a truly sad indication of the depths to which society has sunk - I fear it's the latter.
I'm talking about the latest, ephemeral piece of wired-up plastic being flogged by the telly-selly merchants which is destined, as all of its predecessors have, to end up terminally fucked and on that "maybe-one-day-I'll-be-able-to-fix-it-but-then-again-who-am-I-kidding" pile of consumerism-gone-crazy, impulse-buy junk in the attic or garage.
This latest, supposedly must-have gadget is the Tefal Quick Cup. It's unique selling point? It can ejaculate boiling hot water all over your cup containing either a teabag or freeze-dried, instant coffee.........in just three seconds!! Well, whoop deeay!! Well done. What a fucking great idea!
I realise we have come a long way from having to pile up brushwood in the office and rub two sticks together to create man's red fire in order to boil water for a hot drink but give me a sodding break!! How long does it take to boil a fucking kettle!!! A minute? Two minutes at most? Is that such a waste of time? Is life lived at such a frenetic pace these days that we have to shave 117 or 177 seconds off our tea-making time in order to function efficiently?
I'm sure the bosses are in favour of the Quick Cup. After all, it was those self same bastards who stamped on the concept of "lunch hour" at work - remember those? First they banished all reference to the "hour" word, then they even stamped on the concept of "lunch". They substituted both with a word which could mean anything to them they wanted it to mean...........the new word was "break"!!! "I'm going for my break now, boss". "I'm having my break at 1pm, boss, but I promise I'll be back by 1.20pm." "I'm shaking it, boss, I'm shaking it!" (Cool Hand Luke reference). Go fuck yourself!!!
"Break" was something we used to have at school - a half-hour slot round about 11am when, as little ones, we used to have one of those half-pint bottles of milk with a drinking straw in it and a biscuit with the imprint of a little cow on the top. Lunch was, both at school and at work, an hour-long escape from the tedious shite of the day. A time to play football in the playground or, in later years, go down to the pub and moan to the landlady about what a shit day you were having. No, that had to go, didn't it? We couldn't have work drones being away from their sectors for a whole hour!! What would happen to productivity? We don't want to go back down that road, do we? I mean, what next? We'd soon be referring to the workforce as "personnel" again, i.e. appertaining to people. That is just plain inaccuracy when staff are merely organic units, there to be used up, burnt out and discarded, i.e. "human resources".
Sorry, went off on one again there - the plate must have shifted. Where was I? Oh, yes. Tefal and its miracle Quick Cup. So, we can get tea-making down to just three seconds, can we? Well, how about we rifle through NASA's research drawers and produce entire meals in toothpaste tubes? You know, blue ones for roast beef and all the trimmings, red ones for lamb cutlets in a redcurrant sauce, green ones for a vegetarian option? We could suck our food out of the tube in about a minute and so save about 29 minutes on the current time allotted to take on sustenance and keep us alive so that we can return to our allotted work station. Better still, we could suck on the tube while still at our desks! You could still answer the phone or type one-handed.
Maybe we could have the Tefal Quick Sleep tablet? Pop one of these babies and you don't need to sleep, thereby freeing up eight hours-a-day of wasted time, time in which you could be in the office and working. I think these tablets already exist but due to some kind of bureaucratic bungle are classed as illegal. That will have to change.
No, you may have gathered that I'm not altogether a big fan of the Quick Cup. I mean, how are you supposed to adequately slag off that git from Accounts during three seconds in the kitchen? Three seconds just isn't long enough to cop an eyeful of the tits on Big Betty from Postal while pretending to be interested in her chat about her haemorrhoid's. You don't seriously expect me to present a full and incisive critique of last night's match to Spotty Roger from Distribution in just three seconds, do you?
Sorry, the Tefal Quick Cup can go to Grantham.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Use two minutes of work's time to boil a kettle?? We don't do that in Birmingham..."

Love,
Big Ears

I, Like The View said...

I'd find this really irritating, cos it's during the two minutes that the kettle takes to boil that I find the tea-bag and the sugar and the teaspoon and get the milk out of the fridge and have a scout about for a biscuit (rarely any left these days, cos the children eat them and are tall enough to reach the tops of shelves where I hide them)

I'd have to completely change my drinks break modus operandi to accommodate this new piece of equipment - and that would never do

(plus it'd be a waste of the kettle)

WEDNESDAY, 21 NOVEMBER 2007

SHORTS DON'T MATTER! 1. From the greatest programme ever made about association football, Barnstoneworth United FC manager Mr Dainty delivers one of the finest English soliloqiues of all time.......and afterwards, spare a thought for the club steward's wife Vera (YOU ONLY HAVE TO WATCH HALF OF THE CLIP!!).

Monday, 12 November 2007

Not everyone who agonises over their life is a painter. Some of us agonise because we're NOT painters.

....And On the Subject of Great Public Services

I know most of you have heard this marvellous song by those doctors who are the Amateur Transplants......but I think the video is a nice addition. P.S. If there are kids in the room I'd shuffle them out before hitting play.

...There's More

On the subject of those great doctors, here is their version of More Than Words which presents their challenging views on women outside Watford. The very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither, coming from Cumbria, is a huge fan. Again, get those kids out of the room!

Leave Britney Alone, Ok!!!

Oh...........my............God!!!!! My heartfelt thanks go to BGT for this. I won't say much more, I don't need to. Mr Loony of Loonytown, USA (I think it's a bloke, anyway), says it all. I fear he may be wound too tight for.....well.....well for everywhere, really!

Tuesday, 18 September 2007.

I wish I'd sung this! For non-Americans, and with apologies to all the smart arses out there who already knew, the FCC is the Federal Communications Commission and it monitors TV and radio output in the States - a sort of broadcast police - while the EPA is the Yanks' so-called Environmental Protection Agency, a body which does exactly the opposite of what it says on the can. (P.S. We went to the same school, you know? Eric and me, that is, not George, Martha, Dick and Condoleeza and me. I don't think they went to school.) P.P.S. Please see below if you are I Like The View, Malc or Doris.

To Make You Laugh and Cry

I was listening to this on a Sunday, the very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither is a Catholic, Tom Lehrer is one of my all-time heroes and this is one of his best.............no other reasons. On a more sombre note (and with thanks to Fish for coming up with this Woman's-Own-passes-the-time-in-the-dentist's-waiting-room nonsense), why not get a computer to tell you that you are a waste of space and your life is a sham of a mockery of a farce? Ok, it's from one of those poxy dating sites but...go on, take the test. You ain't got much to beat!!
This Is My Life, Rated
Life: 4.2
Mind: 4.1
Body: 2.7
Spirit: 8
Friends/Family: 1.6
Love: 0
Finance: 5.9
Take the Rate My Life Quiz
Apparently, in my case, "computer say 'no!'"

I First Saw This When I Was Little - And Loved It! I Hope That Explains a Few Things

Fuck, Fuckety, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck

It has been pointed out to me that, particularly for one whose profession is supposedly literary, my language is getting worse. My use of the "F" word is, I am told, far too prevalent and hence loses impact. To those who share this view I suggest you watch the following:

Tony Blair Isn't a Burglar - But If He Was.........

In the spirit of Gustav Holst's Jupiter and Manfred Mann's Earth Band, I feel like raising a smile today. The Big Green Thing alerted me to this and, for no other reason than to raise a smile on an otherwise crap Wednesday, I think it has to be shared. Grantham shall not have him - when he gets out of prison.

Life On The Edge - No Net.

I was wrong when I feared it might be a dull weekend, what with my pals being away, my soon-to-be ex-wife in rehab and only the dogs to play with. How wrong can a man be? This much fun must surely be illegal? Just click to see the japes and hoots I am having! Click again to see how things got REALLy exciting! Tomorrow we're going to chase pigeons.

The Good Old U.S. of A. - Guardians of Freedom and Democracy. Nothing to Be Scared of, Then?

Be honest........

IT'S THE QUIZ OF THE WEEK! JUST SCROLL DOWN AND HIT "FULL QUIZ".