**********************************************************WHY GRANTHAM? JUST CLICK:
TEXT **********************************************************

Saturday 8 September 2007

......In Fact It's A Gas (Bill), Man!



Where to start? I've got so many tales to tell!
Right! I've been staying over in Big City East again with Ed Straker and Lady Di because, as I've explained before, they live near where I work and, what with my gammy leg 'n' all, they put me up and ferry me to and from the office each day. That's pals for you - if it wasn't for them I would be out of a job and sleeping under an embankment somewhere. To say I owe them one is a modest understatement.
Anyway, Eddy Baby and Di threw a bit of a soiree last night at their unlicensed creche and drop-in centre and, to quote Frankie Valli, "Oh what a night.....!" Now Ed is in a band - very big on the Help The Aged circuit, I understand - and the keyboard player set up in the garden to play through the night while we sang along and chair-boogied to everything from Frank Sinatra and Peter Sarstedt to the Rolling Stones and The Beatles. A great night and 14 cases of wine and beer really added to the atmosphere.
I fell to chatting to the keyboard player - to save his blushes let's just call him Micky (because that's his name) - and he turned out to be not only a A1 top bloke but also a mine of great stories from the music world. You see Micky used to be in a band which was huge in the '80s (I won't name them although think 'Royalty and burgers') and so he had tasted life as an international rock god with all the trimmings. "So, you must have made millions and be set for life?" Pither asked, hoping to tap him up for a fiver. Micky then told me a tale about an episode when his band was at the peak of its fame and not only does it explain what the rock world is really like to us outsiders, it is a salutary lesson for anyone who fancies themselves as the next big thing.
The story is of just one "day in the life" and, with apologies to Micky for embellishing it a bit (it's my job, maam) it goes like this:
Micky and the boys were currently riding at Number 2 in the charts and were wanted by the world and his wife - or in the case of the lead singer, the world and his husband. They were booked to play their latest smash on Top of the Pops and so they were ferried to the studios in a fleet of limos and duly did their spot. They were on a tight deadline though as they were due on the continent later that night to play a gig (Munich, I think?) so, no sooner had the editor shouted "that's a wrap, luvvies" than their entourage of security guards, record label executives and assorted hangers on was sped through the corridors of Broadcasting House to another fleet of limos to take them to the airport.
There is, of course, a supply of hot and cold running champagne and scantily clad rock chicks in the limos which deliver them to a waiting Lear Jet (seriously!!). The boys clamber aboard and Micky takes his seat. Off they roar, climbing almost vertically to cruising height and Micky pulls down the overhead compartment to find a goldfish bowl on a stem already filled with brandy, alongside stocks of other booze. There's rock music all the way, no doubt some of the other lads tuck into sugar bowls of Colombian Marching Powder thoughtfully laid out for them..........and this is where the fairytale fractures somewhat.
Micky considered his situation for a fleeting moment. "God alive!! I've arrived" he thought, not understandably. "This is THE life. Ferried around in limos, our own Lear Jet, en-route to a European gig after a live telly performance, booze, birds and the best the rock world has to offer. Wow!" At that very moment, our Micky reached into one of his pockets and pulled out a crumpled piece of paper - it was his gas bill. Turned out there was still part of him which wasn't a God-like alien from the planet Rock 'n' Roll and Nazigas Inc. was into him just as it is into the rest of us. The bill was for £70 so Micky ferrets around in his belongings, searching for cash and, guess what? He hadn't got a fucking bean!! You see, even at the height of the band's fame, the most the members ever saw of the moolah was the £40-a-week they were each given as pocket money by their owners (seriously!!) He asked around the other members of the band and they had also spent their pocket moeny and were absolutely penniless as well. In the end, he had to borrow the cash off one of the record label bods so that he had the necessary to avoid being cut off on his return to Blighty.
There he was, living life in the fast lane, with luxury and decadence all around him, and he hadn't actually got any REAL fucking money at all in the world. Despite the mountains of money earned by their record sales and concert appearances, it turned out that the limos weren't complimentary, the booze and birds had been shelled out for in advance, the invoice for the Lear Jet was in the post and every member of the entourage, most notably the record label vultures, had all grabbed serious wedges for themselves!
Micky NEVER had any money at all at the time. The actual folding stuff all went somewhere else and the band hardly got to see any of it.
I found that a bit of an eye opener. I said to Micky: "Jesus, all that cash earned and you couldn't even pay a poxy gas bill! I bet you suddenly realised the whole bloody thing was just a con, a circus, and you wanted out of it?" I asked. Mickey looked down, pondering, and replied: "Urrrm......nah! It was fucking brilliant!!!"
Well, I liked that tale. Ok, maybe you didn't. Ok, well sod off then! Grantham shall not have Mickey, however.

4 comments:

Vicus Scurra said...

Yes, yes, yes, but did he get to shag Lulu?

Barry Lawrence said...

No, not at the time......but it's his turn next Thursday.

I, Like The View said...

I'm in a band

we've been together for four and a half years, we own £Ks of equipment (that when we come to sell it won't be worth half of what we paid for it) and we do gigs a plenty

we get well over a grand each time we play (not what a pro band would get, but still a fair whack)

I shell out weekly for rehearsal space, our professional MD, arrangements (we only do covers, but there are 12 of us so everyone has to know what they are doing, so we pay for proper arrangements); I paid my one twelth share of the cost of three days in a recording studio and production/mixing for our promo CD; as a girly, I fork out for highlights and backcombing, new frocks and kitten heels, have to buy a new outfit if there's a colour scheme for the gig that my wardrobe doesn't cover. . .

in four and a half years, I have only once received any money - £25 towards the cost of petrol for driving to a gig in Weymouth

but that's rock and roll, and I like it!

Barry Lawrence said...

ILTV,

Hey, £1,000-a-go? That's not bad at all. You must be pretty good.
Keep on rocking!

WEDNESDAY, 21 NOVEMBER 2007

SHORTS DON'T MATTER! 1. From the greatest programme ever made about association football, Barnstoneworth United FC manager Mr Dainty delivers one of the finest English soliloqiues of all time.......and afterwards, spare a thought for the club steward's wife Vera (YOU ONLY HAVE TO WATCH HALF OF THE CLIP!!).

Monday, 12 November 2007

Not everyone who agonises over their life is a painter. Some of us agonise because we're NOT painters.

....And On the Subject of Great Public Services

I know most of you have heard this marvellous song by those doctors who are the Amateur Transplants......but I think the video is a nice addition. P.S. If there are kids in the room I'd shuffle them out before hitting play.

...There's More

On the subject of those great doctors, here is their version of More Than Words which presents their challenging views on women outside Watford. The very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither, coming from Cumbria, is a huge fan. Again, get those kids out of the room!

Leave Britney Alone, Ok!!!

Oh...........my............God!!!!! My heartfelt thanks go to BGT for this. I won't say much more, I don't need to. Mr Loony of Loonytown, USA (I think it's a bloke, anyway), says it all. I fear he may be wound too tight for.....well.....well for everywhere, really!

Tuesday, 18 September 2007.

I wish I'd sung this! For non-Americans, and with apologies to all the smart arses out there who already knew, the FCC is the Federal Communications Commission and it monitors TV and radio output in the States - a sort of broadcast police - while the EPA is the Yanks' so-called Environmental Protection Agency, a body which does exactly the opposite of what it says on the can. (P.S. We went to the same school, you know? Eric and me, that is, not George, Martha, Dick and Condoleeza and me. I don't think they went to school.) P.P.S. Please see below if you are I Like The View, Malc or Doris.

To Make You Laugh and Cry

I was listening to this on a Sunday, the very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither is a Catholic, Tom Lehrer is one of my all-time heroes and this is one of his best.............no other reasons. On a more sombre note (and with thanks to Fish for coming up with this Woman's-Own-passes-the-time-in-the-dentist's-waiting-room nonsense), why not get a computer to tell you that you are a waste of space and your life is a sham of a mockery of a farce? Ok, it's from one of those poxy dating sites but...go on, take the test. You ain't got much to beat!!
This Is My Life, Rated
Life: 4.2
Mind: 4.1
Body: 2.7
Spirit: 8
Friends/Family: 1.6
Love: 0
Finance: 5.9
Take the Rate My Life Quiz
Apparently, in my case, "computer say 'no!'"

I First Saw This When I Was Little - And Loved It! I Hope That Explains a Few Things

Fuck, Fuckety, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck

It has been pointed out to me that, particularly for one whose profession is supposedly literary, my language is getting worse. My use of the "F" word is, I am told, far too prevalent and hence loses impact. To those who share this view I suggest you watch the following:

Tony Blair Isn't a Burglar - But If He Was.........

In the spirit of Gustav Holst's Jupiter and Manfred Mann's Earth Band, I feel like raising a smile today. The Big Green Thing alerted me to this and, for no other reason than to raise a smile on an otherwise crap Wednesday, I think it has to be shared. Grantham shall not have him - when he gets out of prison.

Life On The Edge - No Net.

I was wrong when I feared it might be a dull weekend, what with my pals being away, my soon-to-be ex-wife in rehab and only the dogs to play with. How wrong can a man be? This much fun must surely be illegal? Just click to see the japes and hoots I am having! Click again to see how things got REALLy exciting! Tomorrow we're going to chase pigeons.

The Good Old U.S. of A. - Guardians of Freedom and Democracy. Nothing to Be Scared of, Then?

Be honest........

IT'S THE QUIZ OF THE WEEK! JUST SCROLL DOWN AND HIT "FULL QUIZ".