**********************************************************WHY GRANTHAM? JUST CLICK:
TEXT **********************************************************

Saturday 7 April 2007

The Boat Race? - You're Having a Giraffe!


Sorry, but there's more to come........ This afternoon I witnessed one of the most farcical sporting and televisual events it has ever been my misfortune to endure. The annual University Boat Race!
I am the most conservative - with a SMALL "c" - person you will ever come across and so tradition and heritage are very important to me but this has become the biggest boatload of bollocks afloat - or on dry land!
Where do I start? How about a rundown of the teams? Well, when I was alive the boats used to be packed with stripey-blazored, classic, English, chinless wonders who sipped champagne en-route and couldn't really give a shit who won as long as it was all done in the jolly best of sporting traditions. What have we got now? Both boats were virtually crammed full of steroid-fuelled Yanks and Krauts who you just knew would kick off and start invading places again if they didn't win!! Even the co-commentator was one of our colonial cousins!!
The crews then introduced themselves on screen and that's when we really started to veer off into the world of Python. The woman cox of Cambridge told us she was studying "Anglo Saxon Economics"! Seriously!! How fucking useful is that? I mean, should the Angles and the Saxons ever decide to team up again, invade and then form a limited company over here then I imagine she will be much in demand but, be honest, what are the chances?
Then there was the television coverage. The advent of Sky TV and Murdoch's stranglehold on the world of mass communication have left the BBC and ITV grovelling around in the broadcast dirt for something to screen. The BBC is pretty fucking bad these days when it comes to hyping up things like the European Leaning On Things Championships but give the Boat Race to ITV and you are really asking for trouble. It's the verbal equivalent of handing a three-year-old a loaded Kalashnikov in McDonalds. You would have thought the commentator was talking about a video screening of the actual birth of Christ or the battle of Rorke's Drift. Hyperbole just doesn't even come close to covering it. "Frictionless as an Augusta green" - what the fuck is that all about?
The light blues of Cambridge won this 153rd race, for those who are interested. They somehow managed to beat off the challenge of the dark blues of Oxford and the pair of them were seemingly out of sight of Teeside Polytechnic, East Anglia School for the Interbred, the Wolverhampton College of Street Shooting and all the other establishments which are not allowed to enter this "race".
"The Cambridge president can choose to frame this moment and stick it on the mantelpiece of his life - 2007 is the year Cambridge bit back!" said the commentator. "Elation is nowhere grander served than here." He later followed those gems with the immortal (check re-runs if you don't believe me): "They now have the traditional act to do which is to toss their cox into the River Thames." Seriously!! Please believe me! I stayed tuned, thinking I was going to see some sort of intellectual, watery wankfest but all that happened was a bunch of Americo-Germanic Arian types chucked some hapless bird in the river!
Maybe it's just me but...............this isn't Hitler versus the Allies. It's not the Spartans versus the Persians at Thermopylae. It's not the 100 metres at the Olympics. Come to think of it, it's not even Accrington Stanley versus Walsall!!
Part of me wants to keep this aquatic farce, because of my love of tradition, the absurd and the laughable, but I'm afraid it is just too stupid for the 21st Century. What next? "And now we go over live to the Snoozstadio, Dortmund, for the International Sleeping Cup"? Maybe: "Hello, and welcome to Ludicrousberg, Norway, where we bring you exclusive coverage of day one of the Anglo-Scandinavian Herring Frightening Tournament"? Sorry, but the Boat Race can go to Grantham.

2 comments:

Foilwoman said...

Hey, what's wrong with Yank rowers? More muscles? We look pretty with out muscles. And we can beat you. Just saying.

Foilwoman said...

I meant "we look pretty with our muscles". Please excuse the typo.

WEDNESDAY, 21 NOVEMBER 2007

SHORTS DON'T MATTER! 1. From the greatest programme ever made about association football, Barnstoneworth United FC manager Mr Dainty delivers one of the finest English soliloqiues of all time.......and afterwards, spare a thought for the club steward's wife Vera (YOU ONLY HAVE TO WATCH HALF OF THE CLIP!!).

Monday, 12 November 2007

Not everyone who agonises over their life is a painter. Some of us agonise because we're NOT painters.

....And On the Subject of Great Public Services

I know most of you have heard this marvellous song by those doctors who are the Amateur Transplants......but I think the video is a nice addition. P.S. If there are kids in the room I'd shuffle them out before hitting play.

...There's More

On the subject of those great doctors, here is their version of More Than Words which presents their challenging views on women outside Watford. The very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither, coming from Cumbria, is a huge fan. Again, get those kids out of the room!

Leave Britney Alone, Ok!!!

Oh...........my............God!!!!! My heartfelt thanks go to BGT for this. I won't say much more, I don't need to. Mr Loony of Loonytown, USA (I think it's a bloke, anyway), says it all. I fear he may be wound too tight for.....well.....well for everywhere, really!

Tuesday, 18 September 2007.

I wish I'd sung this! For non-Americans, and with apologies to all the smart arses out there who already knew, the FCC is the Federal Communications Commission and it monitors TV and radio output in the States - a sort of broadcast police - while the EPA is the Yanks' so-called Environmental Protection Agency, a body which does exactly the opposite of what it says on the can. (P.S. We went to the same school, you know? Eric and me, that is, not George, Martha, Dick and Condoleeza and me. I don't think they went to school.) P.P.S. Please see below if you are I Like The View, Malc or Doris.

To Make You Laugh and Cry

I was listening to this on a Sunday, the very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither is a Catholic, Tom Lehrer is one of my all-time heroes and this is one of his best.............no other reasons. On a more sombre note (and with thanks to Fish for coming up with this Woman's-Own-passes-the-time-in-the-dentist's-waiting-room nonsense), why not get a computer to tell you that you are a waste of space and your life is a sham of a mockery of a farce? Ok, it's from one of those poxy dating sites but...go on, take the test. You ain't got much to beat!!
This Is My Life, Rated
Life: 4.2
Mind: 4.1
Body: 2.7
Spirit: 8
Friends/Family: 1.6
Love: 0
Finance: 5.9
Take the Rate My Life Quiz
Apparently, in my case, "computer say 'no!'"

I First Saw This When I Was Little - And Loved It! I Hope That Explains a Few Things

Fuck, Fuckety, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck

It has been pointed out to me that, particularly for one whose profession is supposedly literary, my language is getting worse. My use of the "F" word is, I am told, far too prevalent and hence loses impact. To those who share this view I suggest you watch the following:

Tony Blair Isn't a Burglar - But If He Was.........

In the spirit of Gustav Holst's Jupiter and Manfred Mann's Earth Band, I feel like raising a smile today. The Big Green Thing alerted me to this and, for no other reason than to raise a smile on an otherwise crap Wednesday, I think it has to be shared. Grantham shall not have him - when he gets out of prison.

Life On The Edge - No Net.

I was wrong when I feared it might be a dull weekend, what with my pals being away, my soon-to-be ex-wife in rehab and only the dogs to play with. How wrong can a man be? This much fun must surely be illegal? Just click to see the japes and hoots I am having! Click again to see how things got REALLy exciting! Tomorrow we're going to chase pigeons.

The Good Old U.S. of A. - Guardians of Freedom and Democracy. Nothing to Be Scared of, Then?

Be honest........

IT'S THE QUIZ OF THE WEEK! JUST SCROLL DOWN AND HIT "FULL QUIZ".