**********************************************************WHY GRANTHAM? JUST CLICK:
TEXT **********************************************************

Saturday 28 April 2007

Goodbye, And Thanks For All The Fish

The other, other legacy.

Is it is just me or can anyone else detect the faintest whiff of desperation in the air around Downing Street as our perma-grinned leader prepares to finally name the day and ride off into the political sunset?
Blair, that offspring of Thatcher and the cloven hoofed one, has only gone and had a 24-page dossier drawn up detailing what he claims are the triumphs of his administration - in other words, his legacy (it's Iraq, Tone). It's a right-riveting-read, it has to be said, although it does make Alice in Wonderland seem like a wholly factual travelogue.
Apparently, no-one now waits more than six months for treatment on the National Health Service. Could that be, I wonder, because legions of would-be patients die in the queues having contracted MRSA, a bug which is rampant in our hospitals since Blair's mentor decided to flog off cleaning services to private outfits which came in with astonishingly low tenders as each one only had total overheads amounting to two illegal immigrant workers, a bottle of Dettol and a Jaycloth? (No, the legacy is Iraq, Tone).
He also claims 2.5 million more people are in work since he came to power. No, what he should have said was that 2.5 million fewer people now show up on the unemployment statistics because, for instance, to qualify for disabled living allowance or incapacity benefit these days you have show that your head is missing. (It's Iraq, Tone).
He further alleges that crime is down 35 per cent. Jesus Christ! Don't these people have windows? If they do I suggest they open them one fucking day and take a look outside. We've turned into a lawless nation which makes Columbia look like The Maldives. (Sorry, Tone, but it IS Iraq).
As for having to hand round a report to fellow Labour (sorry, New Labour) MPs which sets out what you would like everyone to think about you, isn't that just a touch desperate, not to mention narcissistic? I mean, imagine you are at a party and it comes time to go. Your taxi is waiting outside. Would you, in all honesty, hand round a report to fellow revellers on your way out which said that you had been witty all evening, charming, entertaining and the life and soul? Aren't you just supposed to DO things, not CLAIM YOU HAVE DONE THEM?
Soz, Tony Baby, it IS Iraq. Your biggest achievement as you head off to coin it in on the lecture circuit in America will be to have helped further destabilise the Middle East, something none of the rest of thought was humanly possible. Saddam Hussain murdered thousands of innocent Iraqis and Kurds so you and Dubbya said he had to go. You came up with the interesting solution of creating a situation which has seen countless thousands more slaughtered - and it ain't over yet! God knows if it ever WILL end. You and your fuckwit buddy also managed to completely emasculate the United Nations by choosing to ignore some of its decisions while twisting others to justify YOUR war. You just wouldn't bloody listen to what the rest of us were telling you, then you lied, then you blamed others, then you tried to change the subject while innocents were (and still are) massacred for your arrogance. As for handing round a dossier to party-goers telling them how fab you have been, you have in fact smashed up the record player, buggered the family dog, urinated in the drinks cabinet and broken the toilet!
Once again, sorry Tone, it's Iraq. Live with it - God knows, the rest of us have got to. Now off you go to Grantham, there's a good pillock.

4 comments:

Vicus Scurra said...

You overlooked mentioning his vomiting in the face of the hostess, but other than that a reasoned and well balanced assessment.
Should I ever retire from the world of online journal writing I would be honoured if you would lead the tributes.

Anonymous said...

So Reg, what do you really think is Tony Blair's legacy...??


Love
Big Ears.

Barry Lawrence said...

Dear Vicus,

What kind words - the honour would be all mine, believe me. I must point out, however, that the likes of you and me do not/are not allowed to retire from anything. We keel over in urine-stained trousers in a park bandstand somewhere having drunk our last bottles of Thunderbird with some scruffy, Irish-type gentlemen or we are jabbed in the calf with a poisoned-tipped umbrella by a member of MI5.
Don't retire - just keep on pointing out that the king doesn't have new clothes on but is, in fact, stark bollock naked.

Barry Lawrence said...

Dear Big Ears,

I think it's the new Leighton Buzzard Aquaglide swimming pool complex, isn't it?

WEDNESDAY, 21 NOVEMBER 2007

SHORTS DON'T MATTER! 1. From the greatest programme ever made about association football, Barnstoneworth United FC manager Mr Dainty delivers one of the finest English soliloqiues of all time.......and afterwards, spare a thought for the club steward's wife Vera (YOU ONLY HAVE TO WATCH HALF OF THE CLIP!!).

Monday, 12 November 2007

Not everyone who agonises over their life is a painter. Some of us agonise because we're NOT painters.

....And On the Subject of Great Public Services

I know most of you have heard this marvellous song by those doctors who are the Amateur Transplants......but I think the video is a nice addition. P.S. If there are kids in the room I'd shuffle them out before hitting play.

...There's More

On the subject of those great doctors, here is their version of More Than Words which presents their challenging views on women outside Watford. The very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither, coming from Cumbria, is a huge fan. Again, get those kids out of the room!

Leave Britney Alone, Ok!!!

Oh...........my............God!!!!! My heartfelt thanks go to BGT for this. I won't say much more, I don't need to. Mr Loony of Loonytown, USA (I think it's a bloke, anyway), says it all. I fear he may be wound too tight for.....well.....well for everywhere, really!

Tuesday, 18 September 2007.

I wish I'd sung this! For non-Americans, and with apologies to all the smart arses out there who already knew, the FCC is the Federal Communications Commission and it monitors TV and radio output in the States - a sort of broadcast police - while the EPA is the Yanks' so-called Environmental Protection Agency, a body which does exactly the opposite of what it says on the can. (P.S. We went to the same school, you know? Eric and me, that is, not George, Martha, Dick and Condoleeza and me. I don't think they went to school.) P.P.S. Please see below if you are I Like The View, Malc or Doris.

To Make You Laugh and Cry

I was listening to this on a Sunday, the very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither is a Catholic, Tom Lehrer is one of my all-time heroes and this is one of his best.............no other reasons. On a more sombre note (and with thanks to Fish for coming up with this Woman's-Own-passes-the-time-in-the-dentist's-waiting-room nonsense), why not get a computer to tell you that you are a waste of space and your life is a sham of a mockery of a farce? Ok, it's from one of those poxy dating sites but...go on, take the test. You ain't got much to beat!!
This Is My Life, Rated
Life: 4.2
Mind: 4.1
Body: 2.7
Spirit: 8
Friends/Family: 1.6
Love: 0
Finance: 5.9
Take the Rate My Life Quiz
Apparently, in my case, "computer say 'no!'"

I First Saw This When I Was Little - And Loved It! I Hope That Explains a Few Things

Fuck, Fuckety, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck

It has been pointed out to me that, particularly for one whose profession is supposedly literary, my language is getting worse. My use of the "F" word is, I am told, far too prevalent and hence loses impact. To those who share this view I suggest you watch the following:

Tony Blair Isn't a Burglar - But If He Was.........

In the spirit of Gustav Holst's Jupiter and Manfred Mann's Earth Band, I feel like raising a smile today. The Big Green Thing alerted me to this and, for no other reason than to raise a smile on an otherwise crap Wednesday, I think it has to be shared. Grantham shall not have him - when he gets out of prison.

Life On The Edge - No Net.

I was wrong when I feared it might be a dull weekend, what with my pals being away, my soon-to-be ex-wife in rehab and only the dogs to play with. How wrong can a man be? This much fun must surely be illegal? Just click to see the japes and hoots I am having! Click again to see how things got REALLy exciting! Tomorrow we're going to chase pigeons.

The Good Old U.S. of A. - Guardians of Freedom and Democracy. Nothing to Be Scared of, Then?

Be honest........

IT'S THE QUIZ OF THE WEEK! JUST SCROLL DOWN AND HIT "FULL QUIZ".