**********************************************************WHY GRANTHAM? JUST CLICK:
TEXT **********************************************************

Tuesday 13 November 2007

Co. Down Nut.


One of my memories of college days was sitting in my grubby little room watching the launch of a new television channel - Channel 4.
Cable and Murdoch had yet to rise from Hades and provide wall to wall sod all for the mindless and so the advent of a fourth channel was quite an event. We had been promised intelligent, ground breaking content and a new and stimulating television experience. So what was the first programme? Bloody Countdown!

I heard Stephen Fry waxing lyrical about Countdown not so long back but I'm afraid I have to differ with him on this one. It's not so much the actual show itself you understand, although I must confess I do tend to find crosswordy-type things a bit nerdy and a haven for pseudo intellectuals. No, it's the people on it, the contestants. Where the Hell do they find them?

They're all abject social losers with the inter-personal skills of a limpet. The blokes are all either latent serial killers or techno geeks who spend their spare time in their dimly lit, bed-sit, attic hovels fisting off to re-runs of Star Trek while the women are enforced virgins with a deep and abiding love of plaid and forming committees.
They are the sort of people who, as kids, used to come up to you after an exam and say "What did you get for number 3?" or "That was really easy, wasn't it?". They were the sort of kids who used to write at their desks with their free arm curled around their paper so you couldn't see their answers. They were the sort of kids who always produced notes from their mums saying that they were sensitive and opposed to competitive sport so couldn't do games or PE.......and they all had ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE OF HUMOUR WHATSOEVER.

The producers of Countdown obviously sensed that these were the sort of personality vacuums which were going to queue up to take part and so they recruited first Richard Whiteley and latterly Des O'Connor to host the show - perfect compliments.
Still, I occasionally watch Countdown. It's not that I am a masochist, nor is it that I am a secret saddo. No, I watch it for exactly the same reason that like-minded juveniles across the country watch it - for those rare and special moments when all the pomposity and nerdiness is blown to Hades by the intervention of a higher being:

"Uurrm, a consonant please Carol."
"Certainly Reg..................a................W."
"And a vowel please Carol."
"Yes...........................an................A."
"And another consonant, please."
"................................................N."
"And another consonant, Carol."
"Ok, Reg. It's...oh dear....a....................K."
"And a consonant, please."
"Ok..............................................M."
"A vowel please Carol."
"Yes, certainly Reg............an................E."
"Another vowel please."
"................................................O."
"And a consonant.
"Oh dear. Yes, ok Reg. No, I mean no Reg.........F."
"And finally a consonant, Carol."
"Here goes.......................................F."

Dum-dee-dum, deediddle, dum-dee-dum, deediddle, dum-dee-dum, deediddle, da-da, da-da, dadderly-dum - bow!!

"Ooh, ooh, pick me, pick me!! I've got a 9, Des!"
"Well done Reg. And Bernard, what have you got?"
"I've got FAME Des but I really can't see anything else.


It's just little moments like that, rare though they are, which make Countdown almost bearable.

13 comments:

I, Like The View said...

so does Coutdown not go to Grantham then?

I have never seen an episode, but then I've never seen Brookie or Corrie either

I used to like Tomorrow's World

Barry Lawrence said...

ILTV,

No, I don't suppose it had better go. It is, at least, moderately cultural and with a degree of intelligence. That's more than you can say for 99 per cent of box these days.

The Birdwatcher said...

For no particular reason you have reminded me of the time when the vile little toad David Mellor was hosting 606 on Radio bloke. He was patronising a caller who claimed to be a fan of Charlton Mackerell Athletic or somewhere. The caller said in a innocent tone "Oh just one more thing David.... You are a fucking cunt. " Out it came before the man with the button could censor it. Smellor was lost for words. I think I snorted a large amount of lager down the wrong way. Great entertainment though. Anyway sorry for the language.

TiG said...

...and they all had ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE OF HUMOUR WHATSOEVER

That's not funny.

Barry Lawrence said...

BW,

Don't worry about the language - in the case of Mellor, there is only one word in the English language which accurately describes him.
I actually heard that broadcast as well. I was left thinking "he didn't, did he? Did he just.....I'm sure he said.....Hurrah!!"

Welcome Tidalgrrrl (I think).

I don't quite get your comment but, being a cumudgeonly git, I'll assume you are taking the pee out of me. In that case, welcome indeed.

Vicus Scurra said...

I take it that you failed the audition.

Barry Lawrence said...

Vicus,

I don't understand that either - I'm obviously losing it.

Vicus Scurra said...

I was merely putting forth the possibility that your failure to be seduced by Ms Vorderman was due to your not having the ability to pass the test to get onto the programme.
With this being your second failure to understand today, I should forget about bloody Mastermind as well.
Wait until Mr and Mrs comes back, I would.

Barry Lawrence said...

Vicus,

A joke about my imminent divorce - nice touch! What next? Go on, let's hear your cancer gags?
Here's an idea. Why don't you make your comments at least slightly relevant and connected to the post, there's a good lad. They would make some kind of sense then, you see? Could you do that for me do you think, could you, hmm, hmm?

Vicus Scurra said...

I see that your lack of a sense of humour also caused you to fail the audition as a Mike Winters impersonator for (fill in name of current talent show on the telly, I am not sure what they are called).

Barry Lawrence said...

What a kind, sensitive and caring individual you have shown yourself to be - with Van Gogh's ear for a good joke.
Must dash - I've got to go and stitch up my sides.

Anonymous said...

There is no name for the back of the knee.

Barry Lawrence said...

Yes there is! Mine's called Kevin.

WEDNESDAY, 21 NOVEMBER 2007

SHORTS DON'T MATTER! 1. From the greatest programme ever made about association football, Barnstoneworth United FC manager Mr Dainty delivers one of the finest English soliloqiues of all time.......and afterwards, spare a thought for the club steward's wife Vera (YOU ONLY HAVE TO WATCH HALF OF THE CLIP!!).

Monday, 12 November 2007

Not everyone who agonises over their life is a painter. Some of us agonise because we're NOT painters.

....And On the Subject of Great Public Services

I know most of you have heard this marvellous song by those doctors who are the Amateur Transplants......but I think the video is a nice addition. P.S. If there are kids in the room I'd shuffle them out before hitting play.

...There's More

On the subject of those great doctors, here is their version of More Than Words which presents their challenging views on women outside Watford. The very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither, coming from Cumbria, is a huge fan. Again, get those kids out of the room!

Leave Britney Alone, Ok!!!

Oh...........my............God!!!!! My heartfelt thanks go to BGT for this. I won't say much more, I don't need to. Mr Loony of Loonytown, USA (I think it's a bloke, anyway), says it all. I fear he may be wound too tight for.....well.....well for everywhere, really!

Tuesday, 18 September 2007.

I wish I'd sung this! For non-Americans, and with apologies to all the smart arses out there who already knew, the FCC is the Federal Communications Commission and it monitors TV and radio output in the States - a sort of broadcast police - while the EPA is the Yanks' so-called Environmental Protection Agency, a body which does exactly the opposite of what it says on the can. (P.S. We went to the same school, you know? Eric and me, that is, not George, Martha, Dick and Condoleeza and me. I don't think they went to school.) P.P.S. Please see below if you are I Like The View, Malc or Doris.

To Make You Laugh and Cry

I was listening to this on a Sunday, the very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither is a Catholic, Tom Lehrer is one of my all-time heroes and this is one of his best.............no other reasons. On a more sombre note (and with thanks to Fish for coming up with this Woman's-Own-passes-the-time-in-the-dentist's-waiting-room nonsense), why not get a computer to tell you that you are a waste of space and your life is a sham of a mockery of a farce? Ok, it's from one of those poxy dating sites but...go on, take the test. You ain't got much to beat!!
This Is My Life, Rated
Life: 4.2
Mind: 4.1
Body: 2.7
Spirit: 8
Friends/Family: 1.6
Love: 0
Finance: 5.9
Take the Rate My Life Quiz
Apparently, in my case, "computer say 'no!'"

I First Saw This When I Was Little - And Loved It! I Hope That Explains a Few Things

Fuck, Fuckety, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck

It has been pointed out to me that, particularly for one whose profession is supposedly literary, my language is getting worse. My use of the "F" word is, I am told, far too prevalent and hence loses impact. To those who share this view I suggest you watch the following:

Tony Blair Isn't a Burglar - But If He Was.........

In the spirit of Gustav Holst's Jupiter and Manfred Mann's Earth Band, I feel like raising a smile today. The Big Green Thing alerted me to this and, for no other reason than to raise a smile on an otherwise crap Wednesday, I think it has to be shared. Grantham shall not have him - when he gets out of prison.

Life On The Edge - No Net.

I was wrong when I feared it might be a dull weekend, what with my pals being away, my soon-to-be ex-wife in rehab and only the dogs to play with. How wrong can a man be? This much fun must surely be illegal? Just click to see the japes and hoots I am having! Click again to see how things got REALLy exciting! Tomorrow we're going to chase pigeons.

The Good Old U.S. of A. - Guardians of Freedom and Democracy. Nothing to Be Scared of, Then?

Be honest........

IT'S THE QUIZ OF THE WEEK! JUST SCROLL DOWN AND HIT "FULL QUIZ".