**********************************************************WHY GRANTHAM? JUST CLICK:
TEXT **********************************************************

Thursday 1 November 2007

What's Big, Red and Does Sod All?


I have been a relatively happy little bunny lately and that is a very dangerous state in which to be. You see, when the urge takes you to skip along while singing "hello flowers, hello birds, hello world" all the time you tend to lose sight of the fact that life is abso-fucking-lutely shite and almost every-bastard-one in it is a complete and utter TOSSER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

These truths I hold to be self evident and I was reminded of them when I toyed with the idea of towing the legal line by taxing The Wardrobe. I should have known better because this involved, as it turned out, reliance on those princes among pricks and kings among cunts.......the Post Office!!
The avenue leading to complete car conformity was closed off to me yesterday as I was unable to lay my hands on the required moolah (47 years fucking old and I couldn't even scrape together £99 soddin' quid!!). Undeterred, and still in a mellow frame of mind, I did some fiscal juggling and by the time the sun set I had managed to unearth the necessary from various corners of Pitherworld - too late for the Post Office, yes. Too late for the law, indeed, but probably in enough time to keep the filth from my door, stick two fingers up to the neigbours and do my duty as a good citizen.
The sun duly came up today (something which never fails to at once surprise and depress me) and so I steeled myself for a trip into the village to pay my belated dues. MoT certificate - check! Vehicle registration document - check! Insurance certificate - oops! Where the fuck was it? I renewed my policy in August and the money had been coming out of the Bank of Pither since so.......where the fuck was my certificate? A quick call to the insurance company certainly put my mind at ease:

"I haven't received my insurance certificate."
"Yes you have."
"What!! All right then, what did I have for breakfast this morning?"
"How am I supposed to know that?"
"Well, you seem to be pretty well acquainted with other things that go on round here. How can YOU possibly KNOW I received it?"
"Because we sent it out."
"My dear woman, sending something out and it having been received are two entirely different things. I assure you I have NOT received a certificate."
"Computer says it was sent out last month."
"During the postal strike?"
"Yes."
"Define for me the word 'idiocy'"
"So. S'not my fault."
"Pray explain how it might be mine?"
"Do you want another one?"
"That would be simply lovely!"
"It's £26 for a copy."
"Pardon my exasperation at that news but.....you are having a bleedin' giraffe, are you not?"
"We never joke here at Nobbit, Bodgit and Leggit."
"Have you thought of charging the Post Office £26 and just sending me a replacement certificate?"
"Nope."
"Thank you for all your assistance."
"Happy to help."

I now have to wait for a cover note to arrive.....yes, you guessed it......through the post. I can't do it online or over the phone because...well...well just because. The result is I am now officially a desperado, a ruthless bandit, a criminal, a callous villain on the run from justice. Publicising this fact on the internet is probably not the wisest thing I've ever done, particularly as my nephew is a copper, but there you go.

My final steps back into the real world were taken when I later phoned an assurance company to which I had written a week ago.

"Hello. I wrote to you last week about my policy and I wondered if there was any news?"
"You haven't written to us!"
"You're not related to the woman at the insurance company are you?"
"What?"
"Sorry, I just seem to recall a similar conversation I had earlier today. I did write to you, I can assure you - get it? Assure you!!! Never mind."
"When did you write?"
"Last Thursday."
"Oh, that'll be the Post Office. They're useless, aren't they?"

So it's good to be back in Crapworld again. I shall try not to stray into Happyland again. In the meantime, the Post Office can send itself to Grantham. Second thoughts, I will take it personally or else it will never get there!

Editor's Note: (This is also true) An hour after finishing writing the above there was a postal delivery at the Towers. The drop contained notification from my local hospital of an appointment for physiotherapy......last Thursday!!!

No comments:

WEDNESDAY, 21 NOVEMBER 2007

SHORTS DON'T MATTER! 1. From the greatest programme ever made about association football, Barnstoneworth United FC manager Mr Dainty delivers one of the finest English soliloqiues of all time.......and afterwards, spare a thought for the club steward's wife Vera (YOU ONLY HAVE TO WATCH HALF OF THE CLIP!!).

Monday, 12 November 2007

Not everyone who agonises over their life is a painter. Some of us agonise because we're NOT painters.

....And On the Subject of Great Public Services

I know most of you have heard this marvellous song by those doctors who are the Amateur Transplants......but I think the video is a nice addition. P.S. If there are kids in the room I'd shuffle them out before hitting play.

...There's More

On the subject of those great doctors, here is their version of More Than Words which presents their challenging views on women outside Watford. The very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither, coming from Cumbria, is a huge fan. Again, get those kids out of the room!

Leave Britney Alone, Ok!!!

Oh...........my............God!!!!! My heartfelt thanks go to BGT for this. I won't say much more, I don't need to. Mr Loony of Loonytown, USA (I think it's a bloke, anyway), says it all. I fear he may be wound too tight for.....well.....well for everywhere, really!

Tuesday, 18 September 2007.

I wish I'd sung this! For non-Americans, and with apologies to all the smart arses out there who already knew, the FCC is the Federal Communications Commission and it monitors TV and radio output in the States - a sort of broadcast police - while the EPA is the Yanks' so-called Environmental Protection Agency, a body which does exactly the opposite of what it says on the can. (P.S. We went to the same school, you know? Eric and me, that is, not George, Martha, Dick and Condoleeza and me. I don't think they went to school.) P.P.S. Please see below if you are I Like The View, Malc or Doris.

To Make You Laugh and Cry

I was listening to this on a Sunday, the very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither is a Catholic, Tom Lehrer is one of my all-time heroes and this is one of his best.............no other reasons. On a more sombre note (and with thanks to Fish for coming up with this Woman's-Own-passes-the-time-in-the-dentist's-waiting-room nonsense), why not get a computer to tell you that you are a waste of space and your life is a sham of a mockery of a farce? Ok, it's from one of those poxy dating sites but...go on, take the test. You ain't got much to beat!!
This Is My Life, Rated
Life: 4.2
Mind: 4.1
Body: 2.7
Spirit: 8
Friends/Family: 1.6
Love: 0
Finance: 5.9
Take the Rate My Life Quiz
Apparently, in my case, "computer say 'no!'"

I First Saw This When I Was Little - And Loved It! I Hope That Explains a Few Things

Fuck, Fuckety, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck

It has been pointed out to me that, particularly for one whose profession is supposedly literary, my language is getting worse. My use of the "F" word is, I am told, far too prevalent and hence loses impact. To those who share this view I suggest you watch the following:

Tony Blair Isn't a Burglar - But If He Was.........

In the spirit of Gustav Holst's Jupiter and Manfred Mann's Earth Band, I feel like raising a smile today. The Big Green Thing alerted me to this and, for no other reason than to raise a smile on an otherwise crap Wednesday, I think it has to be shared. Grantham shall not have him - when he gets out of prison.

Life On The Edge - No Net.

I was wrong when I feared it might be a dull weekend, what with my pals being away, my soon-to-be ex-wife in rehab and only the dogs to play with. How wrong can a man be? This much fun must surely be illegal? Just click to see the japes and hoots I am having! Click again to see how things got REALLy exciting! Tomorrow we're going to chase pigeons.

The Good Old U.S. of A. - Guardians of Freedom and Democracy. Nothing to Be Scared of, Then?

Be honest........

IT'S THE QUIZ OF THE WEEK! JUST SCROLL DOWN AND HIT "FULL QUIZ".