**********************************************************WHY GRANTHAM? JUST CLICK:
TEXT **********************************************************

Friday 16 November 2007

Titter Ye Not.



I went to the theatre last night.
I love the theatre, especially Small Town's theatre! It's a proper theatre - you know, cosy, lots of red velvet, gilt and good muppet boxes? It's recently undergone yet another makeover and although they've managed turn the foyer into some sort of glass and tubular steel airport departure lounge they have lovingly restored the original Victorian splendour of the auditorium.

I don't go to the theatre as much as I would like, primarily because there is seldom anything on I want to see! Small Town's current theatre director has a passion for musicals, which I loathe, there are the ubiquitous Postman Pat "extravaganzas" for the pint-sized punters and paedophiles, there is ballet, which the very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither adores but I have never been able to take to, and then the rest of the year seems to be taken up by pantomime.
This week, however, there was something on I wanted to see - Shakespeare.

I have, for several years now, been trying to get into Shakespeare. I only did Henry V at school, you see, and although I found it a ripping tale of derring do I neither read nor saw any Shakespeare after that. Millions worldwide have, however, raved for centuries about Bill the Quill and it did not occur to me until I was in my early 40s that there consequently had to be some worth in the boy's work. I wanted to enjoy whatever it was I had been missing out on - either that or be able to hold my head up high and proclaim that I found Shakespeare shite, without talking from a position of ignorance.

Unfortunately, my attempts to educate myself with Bard for Beginners have not, in truth, been a roaring success to date. The principle problem has been that, unlike me, everyone else seems to have seen each of his plays a thousand times. As a result, there seems to be a widespread belief that Shakespeare has to be "freshened up" and given a new twist. That invariably means that "contemporary" versions of the works are staged. I have lost count of the number of times I have been to see a Shakespearean play and been deafened by the sound of motorbikes and armoured cars on stage or been bemused by the sight of hoodies, shell-suited rappers or footballers prancing about and talking in Olde English prose.
I want tights!! Men in tights!!! Not because I'm homosexual - I'm not. I'm more solosexual these days. No, it's because I want to see it as it was probably originally performed before graduating to more inventive and adapted performances.

Well, I had another chance to see what all the fuss was about when Janey, who works at Small Town Theatre, very kindly gave me two complimentary tickets to see an RSC production which is touring the provinces after rave reviews in the West End. She knew about my love of the theatre, of my efforts to understand Shakespeare and so bore me in mind, bless her. She and her other half, The Pirate, are indeed two of my favourite people.
So, I went last night, with the VSTB EW, and I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed the evening out. The costumes, although not exactly 16th Century, were of no particular age and were excellent. The set designs were minimalist and yet elegantly creative. The lighting was largely simple and yet wholly mood inducing when needed. There was even music, subtlely, appropriately and entertainingly performed. Finally, there were the performances, all of which were first rate - passionately and expertly given, with total credibility, clarity and sympathy. There was only one thing wrong.........the play itself!!!
You see, the production was The Comedy of Errors, the Shakespearean "comedy".

First of all, I don't do "farce". With the sole exception of Fawlty Towers, which I suppose is farce, I find the sight of people scurrying around, hiding in wardrobes and dropping their trousers tedious. Secondly, and you can argue this with me 'til you're blue in the face, Shakespeare don't do comedy!!! I'm sorry, but Doddy he ain't! Doubtless, people farting, raising their eyebrows in a silly way or running about chasing each other was regarded as pant-wettingly hilarious in the 16th Century - but time moves on. When your principle gag centres around two people looking alike - twice! - you're not really starting from the rooftop apartment of Comedy Towers. To drag that out for two hours is stretching it beyond the bounds of bearability! I was praying that the two sets of brothers would bump into each other on stage after about 30 minutes and so all would become clear and we could get into the pub. My frustration brought to mind the greatest heckle of all time which supposedly came during an appalling performance of the Diary of Anne Frank. So tedious and mind-numbing was the production that when the Nazi stormtroopers burst into the factory where Anne and her family were hiding, some wag at the back of the stalls, in a desperate attempt to curtail the play, shouted "She's in the attic!!!"

There was something else which got on my mammaries last night, something which neither Shakespeare nor the cast could do anything about - the bulk of the audience!! God, they were pretentious and middle class! There were people roaring with laughter when one character chased another. They roared if someone fell over. They roared if someone gurned. Pither, meanwhile, failed to trouble his chuckle muscle all night. Perhaps saddest of all was the trainee, 12-year-old pseud who sat right in front of me and laughed ALL the way through - even when the father of the Antipholus twins was sentenced to death! - but kept looking to his dad for approval.

Many of those in the audience were like those wankers who politely applaud sporadically during jazz recitals and then look around, as if to say "Only I appreciate jazz and only I know which are the clever bits and you don't and I do 'cos I'm cultured and you're not". Fuck off!! I have to say I feared for the well being of many of the people there last night. I mean, once they got out of the theatre they were likely to rupture themselves or have heart attacks if they so much as caught an episode of Are You Being Served, let alone anything vaguely amusing!

Anyway, at least I finally saw a "proper" production of Shakespeare, and jolly well it was staged to boot. Sadly, it was a great production spoilt by the play!

What to send then? Well, Bill can stay out. I know the boy's got talent and I am looking forward to seeing "proper" productions of his meatier works. I think it has to be last night's audience. Pseuds and suburbanite, middle class wankers who laugh for show can go to Grantham.

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Sadly, it was a great production, spoilt only by the play!"...classic, Pither.

That 12 year old...so sad seeing a robot in the making when they don't even know it, isn't it? I wish I could adpot them all befroe their parents finished warping, I mean shaping, them.

Malcolm Cinnamond said...

I absolutely agree about the 'freshening up'. Our fifth form English teacher had us doing Hamlet in "Elizabethan costume". This being the 70s we all ended up in flares, tank tops and platforms (geddit?).

And Comedy of Errors is pretty desperate. . . as are middle class pseuds, I should know.

Arabella said...

You can't beat a good AmDram production of Titus Andronicus. It's rarely staged. Can't imagine why.

Anonymous said...

You never did know the difference between principle and principal. At least Will S did. Nevertheless, congratulations on getting Doddy and Shakespeare into the same sentence. That has to be a first.

I, Like The View said...

see, I'd love to recite the only piece of historical prose I know by heart, because it would be quite suitable for this post, but then you'd have me down for a middle class tosser. . . trying to impress you with my knowledge of the Bard. . .

:-(

shall I compare thee to a summer's day?

I probably shouldn't. . .

;-)

(I have theatre envy! lucky you - I hope you do it again soon)

Doris said...

Reg - I'll let you know next time we have an open air production at one of our properties! There's nothing like watching Shaespeare while sitting on a picnic chair, in the rain, munching a hard boiled egg. You'll love it.

Barry Lawrence said...

Oy Vay,

I DO know the difference - it's called a literal. You are on such thin ice. You really should learn from what you read and not just ignore the entity and see everything as a subbing exercise. Those who can, do. Those who can't, sub.
I could have wasted my life picking you up on errors in your sports bollocks but I am too much of a gentleman.
Want me to go through your copy?

Anonymous said...

I wish I liked Will, but i don't. Having been forced to study the bastard's plays for seven years I couldn't enjoy it even if I wanted to. I have to agree with you on farce also, Pithers. Utter waste of time. If it weren't for the sexual innuendo it would just be slapstick, and that's for clowns, surely?

However, I am a massive musical fan. So long as it's not an 'i love god, isn't he groovy' musical. My mate wanted my to go see Godspell. Now, for a start it's called Godspell, and, as if that wasn't enough, Steven Gately was playing Jesus. BLEUUURGH!

ALthough I did have a chuckle at the sheer irony of it. Steven Gately? Sounds like the Gerry Springer Opera to me.

Barry Lawrence said...

Doris,

It sounds lovely. However, I once went to an open air production at Dudley Castle and I was sitting so far back I couldn't hear what was being said so just got drunk on my blanket instead!

Barry Lawrence said...

ILTV,

No, no, no, no, no, no, no!!! You've missed the point. Knowing lines from Shakespeare does not make you a middle class tosser. Loads of people can quote bits - that's what our ecoutez et repeatez education system teaches us to do.
Making a show of supposedly being so cultural that you find Elizabethan comedy funny DOES, however, make someone a middle class tosser.

Barry Lawrence said...

Dyna,

I share your feelings. Sadly, the psychologists tell us that after they're five there's no hope for them!

Malc,

You're not middle class. You're a bloody pig farmer living in a tin shack on an anthrax infested island. That's got to make you lower middle class at least! X

Barry Lawrence said...

Arabella,

When it comes to am-dram, I share the view of a former colleague of mine who described the performers as the only people who make you pay to watch them enjoy their hobby.

Zig said...

I did Henry V for O level too - you must be 105 like me then!

Betty said...

Saw an open air school production of A Winter's Tale at Abbott's Bromley School For Nice Young Ladies in the late '70's. We were sat by the lights at the back, which attracted huge, hairy moths that frightened the life out of me. Whenever they landed near me, I flinched, which meant that frosty old spinsters would turn around and glare at me, because I had insulted the great works of THE BARD with my uncouth teenage behaviour.

Happy days.

Vicus Scurra said...

I did not have anything in particular to say on this topic (not that this is normally any sort of deterrent), but I was so taken by your responses that I thought I deserved one, along the lines of your kind comments to Malc, but in the style of Shakespeare.
I have some lines of Shakespeare on my telephone answering machine, you know.
Scurra
That affable familiar ghost.

Barry Lawrence said...

Vicus,

Go on then, tell me - in which play do the lines "I'm sorry I'm not about to take your call but...." appear?

Anonymous said...

Ouch! Methinks verily I hath touch-ed a nerve.

Barry Lawrence said...

Fathorse,

Take comfort in the fact that I have aired my hatred of musicals on this blog before and been bombarded with replies from fans of them. You are definitely not alone. I, as usual, am.

Ziggi,

I am actually 106 - I was kept down a year so I could take my 11-Plus! "I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips...."

Barry Lawrence said...

Betty,

Are you trying to tell me in a "a friend of mine once..." kind of a way that you were an Abbotts Bromley girl? Lord! They were so posh they used to take their chips home in briefcases.
I once went out with an Abbotts Bromley girl - I think I was her bit of rough.

Barry Lawrence said...

Oy Vay,

You could say that!! Wrong day, wrong time, wrong correspondent.

Anonymous said...

could be worse, could be children in need, children in need let em stay in need.

Anonymous said...

I've just got home from a rather nice musical. If you want to enjoy this particular genre, may I suggest playing in the orchestra? Makes all the difference.

And what a coincidence! I have a musical engagement in Abbots Bromley tomorrow, if Saturday can still be classed as tomorrow now that Friday is consigned to the dustbin.

BGT

Anonymous said...

I've just got home from a rather nice musical. If you want to enjoy this particular genre, may I suggest playing in the orchestra? Makes all the difference.

And what a coincidence! I have a musical engagement in Abbots Bromley tomorrow, if Saturday can still be classed as tomorrow now that Friday is consigned to the dustbin.

BGT

Barry Lawrence said...

Good evening/early hours of the morning, oh one who calls himself Green.
Been up the library? Will I be graced by your presence this weekend? - I am home alone (get the rubber pants out and the straw matting down).

Betty said...

I want to state here that I DID NOT ATTEND ABBOTT'S BROMLEY SCHOOL FOR NICE YOUNG LADIES. I was a pupil at Kingsmead Comprehensive School For Rough Young Louts Who Will Never Get On In Life And Will Probably Go To Jail, So What's The Point In Educating Them Anyway?

Just thought I'd clear that up.

Barry Lawrence said...

Betty,

Phew! I was beginning to fear that you were that girl I dated!!
I should have known you weren't, however - Little Miss Abbotts Bromley thought sex was something in which you carried coal home and she was about as funny as a genital wart.

Anonymous said...

Kingsmead is a posh school, by my admittedly jaundiced standards.

Reg - I will not be available this evening for philosophical discourse, for reasons I stated in my earlier comment. But I will be raring to go for a really thorough monging on Sunday, having been through a testing period of forced abstinence earlier this week (for three hours).

And, to answer your question; no, last night's musical production that I referred to was not held in a library.

BGT

Anonymous said...

Shakespeare's best left on pub signs. That said, some of my best friends are Brummies

WEDNESDAY, 21 NOVEMBER 2007

SHORTS DON'T MATTER! 1. From the greatest programme ever made about association football, Barnstoneworth United FC manager Mr Dainty delivers one of the finest English soliloqiues of all time.......and afterwards, spare a thought for the club steward's wife Vera (YOU ONLY HAVE TO WATCH HALF OF THE CLIP!!).

Monday, 12 November 2007

Not everyone who agonises over their life is a painter. Some of us agonise because we're NOT painters.

....And On the Subject of Great Public Services

I know most of you have heard this marvellous song by those doctors who are the Amateur Transplants......but I think the video is a nice addition. P.S. If there are kids in the room I'd shuffle them out before hitting play.

...There's More

On the subject of those great doctors, here is their version of More Than Words which presents their challenging views on women outside Watford. The very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither, coming from Cumbria, is a huge fan. Again, get those kids out of the room!

Leave Britney Alone, Ok!!!

Oh...........my............God!!!!! My heartfelt thanks go to BGT for this. I won't say much more, I don't need to. Mr Loony of Loonytown, USA (I think it's a bloke, anyway), says it all. I fear he may be wound too tight for.....well.....well for everywhere, really!

Tuesday, 18 September 2007.

I wish I'd sung this! For non-Americans, and with apologies to all the smart arses out there who already knew, the FCC is the Federal Communications Commission and it monitors TV and radio output in the States - a sort of broadcast police - while the EPA is the Yanks' so-called Environmental Protection Agency, a body which does exactly the opposite of what it says on the can. (P.S. We went to the same school, you know? Eric and me, that is, not George, Martha, Dick and Condoleeza and me. I don't think they went to school.) P.P.S. Please see below if you are I Like The View, Malc or Doris.

To Make You Laugh and Cry

I was listening to this on a Sunday, the very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither is a Catholic, Tom Lehrer is one of my all-time heroes and this is one of his best.............no other reasons. On a more sombre note (and with thanks to Fish for coming up with this Woman's-Own-passes-the-time-in-the-dentist's-waiting-room nonsense), why not get a computer to tell you that you are a waste of space and your life is a sham of a mockery of a farce? Ok, it's from one of those poxy dating sites but...go on, take the test. You ain't got much to beat!!
This Is My Life, Rated
Life: 4.2
Mind: 4.1
Body: 2.7
Spirit: 8
Friends/Family: 1.6
Love: 0
Finance: 5.9
Take the Rate My Life Quiz
Apparently, in my case, "computer say 'no!'"

I First Saw This When I Was Little - And Loved It! I Hope That Explains a Few Things

Fuck, Fuckety, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck

It has been pointed out to me that, particularly for one whose profession is supposedly literary, my language is getting worse. My use of the "F" word is, I am told, far too prevalent and hence loses impact. To those who share this view I suggest you watch the following:

Tony Blair Isn't a Burglar - But If He Was.........

In the spirit of Gustav Holst's Jupiter and Manfred Mann's Earth Band, I feel like raising a smile today. The Big Green Thing alerted me to this and, for no other reason than to raise a smile on an otherwise crap Wednesday, I think it has to be shared. Grantham shall not have him - when he gets out of prison.

Life On The Edge - No Net.

I was wrong when I feared it might be a dull weekend, what with my pals being away, my soon-to-be ex-wife in rehab and only the dogs to play with. How wrong can a man be? This much fun must surely be illegal? Just click to see the japes and hoots I am having! Click again to see how things got REALLy exciting! Tomorrow we're going to chase pigeons.

The Good Old U.S. of A. - Guardians of Freedom and Democracy. Nothing to Be Scared of, Then?

Be honest........

IT'S THE QUIZ OF THE WEEK! JUST SCROLL DOWN AND HIT "FULL QUIZ".