**********************************************************WHY GRANTHAM? JUST CLICK:
TEXT **********************************************************

Thursday 29 March 2007

Gizza (Silly) Job


I was still very down and wallowing in self-pity over my abject failure to land the job on which I had pinned my hopes (see previous post) when the television "news" this morning helped me begin the healing process - by turning my depression into disbelief and downright disgust.
It suddenly occurred to me that here was I, a bloke who has spent 21 years learning a trade, a trade now about as much sought after as Coronation Day flag-selling, when all the time I could have no doubt been trebling my earnings by being a "life coach", as one woman was described on the programme.
What the buggery, bleedin' 'ell is a fucking "life coach"?..........
"Ok everybody, thank you for coming in this morning. Brenda, the lights please. Right, look at the powerpoint screen. Well, what happened was, when mummy and daddy decided they loved each other very much, daddy put his love pencil into mummy's magic muff and nine months later you were born. After that, you went to school and then got a job. Some of you will get married, some of you will get divorced, some of you will use your own love pencil or magic muff to make more babies, then you will retire, then you will die. Any questions? No? Ok, make you cheques for £2,500 each payable to Money For Old Rope World Domination Ltd, leave them at the door and show in the next group. It's been emotional."
Another git popped up on screen to talk about whether eating too many crisps and chocolate was bad for you. Well, let's face it, you're going to have to gain a few degrees, MScs and PhDs to work that fucker out. That in mind, he was described as, and I kid you not, "an expert". Just think of the opportunities that would open up for you...........
"Well, Mr Pither, I notice you have simultaneously applied for the positions of brain surgeon, mountaineer, Mediaeval painting restorer, astronaut, lion tamer and Dean of St Sorearse College at Cambridge. What qualifications do you have which suit you to all these posts?"
"Well, I'm a fuckin' expert, ain't I?"
"In what?"
"Well, like, in expertise, innit."
The third one which got me gnawing my own foot off was a woman who was billed as "a relationship counsellor"! 'Scuse me, I may be being a bit dense here, but isn't EVERYONE over the age of 10 "a relationship counsellor"? How many times have you been called on to listen to someone else's turbulent emotional life and offer soothing words and advice? Jesus H Christ, my soon-to-be ex-wife gets calls EVERY BLOODY NIGHT from one pal or another about the latest perceived drama in their life. Because STB EW either talks so loudly or sits so close during these exchanges I too have become a fully qualified "relationship counsellor"......
"Oh, I know. I know. He didn't? Oh, never! Well of course you did. Of course. Yes. Well, the stretch marks have faded, love, believe me. No, it doesn't look big in the blue. Hmm. Well perhaps the ointment is for a cut? Ask him. Oh no! Well, I would tell him. Reg is the same."
These dreary counselling sessions ALWAYS end with the same statement. Yes, that one...."They're all the same." Learn that off pat and you've already got a doctorate in the discipline.
The television news was followed by another programme packed with these sorts of wankers. This time they were those people, like Trinny and Susannah, who have dubbed themselves "style experts" and insist they are qualified to tell everyone else what to wear. "Clothes criticisers" I believe it says on their CVs. Believe it or not, this show focused on a bloke trying to organise a group of people into putting up a tent!!! It prompted one of the supposed style gurus back in the studio to comment: "Oh, he's just never going to inspire leadership and command wearing that blue outfit." Aaaarrrgh!!! It didn't do fucking Napolean any harm, love!
If you can't beat them, join them I say. If people can get away with selling themselves as "life coaches, experts or relationship counsellors" then surely I can? Maybe those markets are saturated already? It wouldn't surprise me. I will have to invent some more "jobs", I think. How about "breathing consultant"? Maybe "ambulation adviser", "hair growth co-ordinator", "curtains criticiser" or "coat hanger use instructor"?
I will also get the dogs jobs, just to swell the Pither coffers. Yes, "scent experts" I think.

Yes, the way ahead is clear. In the meantime, to avoid competition, all people with ridiculous, meaningless job titles can go to Grantham.

2 comments:

Vicus Scurra said...

Have you considered that your anger and antisocial leanings might have been evident at your recent job interview and may have contributed to your failure?
I suggest you find the happy place inside, and greet the world with a smile. I know. I am a fucking expert.

Barry Lawrence said...

Dear Scurra,

Thanks for your life coaching/psychobabble-hippyish advice.
I have already discovered my "happy place", thanks very much. Sadly, it has not seen any action since Mrs Pither unravelled the Gordian Knot which I had assumed was our marriage and so I very rarely go there these days.
As for my attitude to interviews and being happy in general, may I refer you to two previous posts - "Gizza Job" on December 15, 2006, and "Don't Worry, Be Happy....and Join Exit" on December 5 of the same year.
I hope these give you a little insight into what it is like to be me. In the meantime, stay off the weed, don't be unfailingly happy (people will think there is something wrong with you) and keep your powder and your pants dry,

Fondest regards,

Reginald.

WEDNESDAY, 21 NOVEMBER 2007

SHORTS DON'T MATTER! 1. From the greatest programme ever made about association football, Barnstoneworth United FC manager Mr Dainty delivers one of the finest English soliloqiues of all time.......and afterwards, spare a thought for the club steward's wife Vera (YOU ONLY HAVE TO WATCH HALF OF THE CLIP!!).

Monday, 12 November 2007

Not everyone who agonises over their life is a painter. Some of us agonise because we're NOT painters.

....And On the Subject of Great Public Services

I know most of you have heard this marvellous song by those doctors who are the Amateur Transplants......but I think the video is a nice addition. P.S. If there are kids in the room I'd shuffle them out before hitting play.

...There's More

On the subject of those great doctors, here is their version of More Than Words which presents their challenging views on women outside Watford. The very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither, coming from Cumbria, is a huge fan. Again, get those kids out of the room!

Leave Britney Alone, Ok!!!

Oh...........my............God!!!!! My heartfelt thanks go to BGT for this. I won't say much more, I don't need to. Mr Loony of Loonytown, USA (I think it's a bloke, anyway), says it all. I fear he may be wound too tight for.....well.....well for everywhere, really!

Tuesday, 18 September 2007.

I wish I'd sung this! For non-Americans, and with apologies to all the smart arses out there who already knew, the FCC is the Federal Communications Commission and it monitors TV and radio output in the States - a sort of broadcast police - while the EPA is the Yanks' so-called Environmental Protection Agency, a body which does exactly the opposite of what it says on the can. (P.S. We went to the same school, you know? Eric and me, that is, not George, Martha, Dick and Condoleeza and me. I don't think they went to school.) P.P.S. Please see below if you are I Like The View, Malc or Doris.

To Make You Laugh and Cry

I was listening to this on a Sunday, the very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither is a Catholic, Tom Lehrer is one of my all-time heroes and this is one of his best.............no other reasons. On a more sombre note (and with thanks to Fish for coming up with this Woman's-Own-passes-the-time-in-the-dentist's-waiting-room nonsense), why not get a computer to tell you that you are a waste of space and your life is a sham of a mockery of a farce? Ok, it's from one of those poxy dating sites but...go on, take the test. You ain't got much to beat!!
This Is My Life, Rated
Life: 4.2
Mind: 4.1
Body: 2.7
Spirit: 8
Friends/Family: 1.6
Love: 0
Finance: 5.9
Take the Rate My Life Quiz
Apparently, in my case, "computer say 'no!'"

I First Saw This When I Was Little - And Loved It! I Hope That Explains a Few Things

Fuck, Fuckety, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck

It has been pointed out to me that, particularly for one whose profession is supposedly literary, my language is getting worse. My use of the "F" word is, I am told, far too prevalent and hence loses impact. To those who share this view I suggest you watch the following:

Tony Blair Isn't a Burglar - But If He Was.........

In the spirit of Gustav Holst's Jupiter and Manfred Mann's Earth Band, I feel like raising a smile today. The Big Green Thing alerted me to this and, for no other reason than to raise a smile on an otherwise crap Wednesday, I think it has to be shared. Grantham shall not have him - when he gets out of prison.

Life On The Edge - No Net.

I was wrong when I feared it might be a dull weekend, what with my pals being away, my soon-to-be ex-wife in rehab and only the dogs to play with. How wrong can a man be? This much fun must surely be illegal? Just click to see the japes and hoots I am having! Click again to see how things got REALLy exciting! Tomorrow we're going to chase pigeons.

The Good Old U.S. of A. - Guardians of Freedom and Democracy. Nothing to Be Scared of, Then?

Be honest........

IT'S THE QUIZ OF THE WEEK! JUST SCROLL DOWN AND HIT "FULL QUIZ".