**********************************************************WHY GRANTHAM? JUST CLICK:
TEXT **********************************************************

Thursday 22 March 2007

Murder! - Murder Most Fish!

There's always one, isn't there? Why can't everyone just play nicely?
Pither Towers has been the scene of bloody murder and the callous killer is still at large! Ok, ok, I might just be racing ahead a little - an occupational hazard for a member of Her Majesty's Press.
The truth of the matter is there has been a death and....... no, no, that's not strictly accurate, either. I am unable to "habeas corpus" so death is only assumed at the moment. What is beyond doubt is that there has been a "disappearance".
The facts, m'lud: There are three fish tanks round at Pither Towers. One is a marine tank with just one occupant - Mongo the Invincible (explanation to follow later). Another houses the legendary Reg, my lobster, and his tropical tankmate, Jabba, a black, bull-headed fish with a serious attitude problem.









The last tank, in my lounge, is home to a collection of tropical fish. Specifically, there is a fish which looks like a badger (honest!) and two couples - a male and female "bright yellow fish" and a male and female "grey, spotty fish" (taxonomy was never my strong point!). Reg used to be in with them all but he was getting the shit kicked out of him by the male yellow fish! Said yellow peril then turned his attentions to his partner, once Reg had gone, and terrorised her, chasing her round the tank at every opportunity. She took to hiding in a little cave or behind the filter in an effort to escape his attentions.

Well, Mrs Yellow is no longer anywhere to be seen in the tank - You do the maths!! Bastard!! He's obviously gone and eaten her, although I'm not sure I can make a murder charge stick.
I don't have much luck with my tank fish (there is also a pond outside). I once spent £35 on a "banana wrasse", a beautiful, bright yellow marine fish. I well remember the day I bought it and how I was reading up on the species as I prepared to release my purchase into the tank to join Mongo. The book said "this species likes to burrow and will often hide in the gravel". I read those words at the precise moment the little git wriggled free of the bag in which it was acclimatising and promptly shot to the bottom of the tank and drilled into the gravel! I never saw the fucker again!! Mystery, of mysteries, even when I cleaned the tank out thoroughly and sifted the gravel I still couldn't find it! I might just as well have tossed a cheque for £35 into the water and just watched it dissolve.
I used to have a marine tank in which one particularly vicious Picasso triggerfish gradually ate all the other occupants before keeling over itself, eventually (no doubt through over-eating). I decided not to restock but for six months kept checking the water to see that the salt level was correct and the ammonia and nitrite levels were kept to almost zero. The water was, in fact, in such pristine condition that fellow enthusiasts used to come round just to admire it! I then decided to restock and so gave the tank a thorough clean, draining all the water out - that's when I found Mongo!!

If you have 20-20 and can see anything blue and yellow in this photo that's Mr M T Invincible.

The little man (a yellow-tailed, blue angel) had hidden himself inside the filter and stayed there for six bloody months without me tossing in so much as a morsel of food (hence his Christening). He was a tad thin, to say the least, and all the colour had been bleached out of him - but he was alive, and is still going strong to this day.
Anyway, back to the case in point. I hate injustice and desperately want to avenge the murder victim but, there again, don't want to oversee a kangaroo court (can fish have a kangaroo court?) I have decided just to stare out Mr Yellow from time to time. He too, as you can see from the photo, has taken to staring back. Bastard!







No, piscine suspected wife beaters and murderers can swim off to Grantham.

No comments:

WEDNESDAY, 21 NOVEMBER 2007

SHORTS DON'T MATTER! 1. From the greatest programme ever made about association football, Barnstoneworth United FC manager Mr Dainty delivers one of the finest English soliloqiues of all time.......and afterwards, spare a thought for the club steward's wife Vera (YOU ONLY HAVE TO WATCH HALF OF THE CLIP!!).

Monday, 12 November 2007

Not everyone who agonises over their life is a painter. Some of us agonise because we're NOT painters.

....And On the Subject of Great Public Services

I know most of you have heard this marvellous song by those doctors who are the Amateur Transplants......but I think the video is a nice addition. P.S. If there are kids in the room I'd shuffle them out before hitting play.

...There's More

On the subject of those great doctors, here is their version of More Than Words which presents their challenging views on women outside Watford. The very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither, coming from Cumbria, is a huge fan. Again, get those kids out of the room!

Leave Britney Alone, Ok!!!

Oh...........my............God!!!!! My heartfelt thanks go to BGT for this. I won't say much more, I don't need to. Mr Loony of Loonytown, USA (I think it's a bloke, anyway), says it all. I fear he may be wound too tight for.....well.....well for everywhere, really!

Tuesday, 18 September 2007.

I wish I'd sung this! For non-Americans, and with apologies to all the smart arses out there who already knew, the FCC is the Federal Communications Commission and it monitors TV and radio output in the States - a sort of broadcast police - while the EPA is the Yanks' so-called Environmental Protection Agency, a body which does exactly the opposite of what it says on the can. (P.S. We went to the same school, you know? Eric and me, that is, not George, Martha, Dick and Condoleeza and me. I don't think they went to school.) P.P.S. Please see below if you are I Like The View, Malc or Doris.

To Make You Laugh and Cry

I was listening to this on a Sunday, the very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither is a Catholic, Tom Lehrer is one of my all-time heroes and this is one of his best.............no other reasons. On a more sombre note (and with thanks to Fish for coming up with this Woman's-Own-passes-the-time-in-the-dentist's-waiting-room nonsense), why not get a computer to tell you that you are a waste of space and your life is a sham of a mockery of a farce? Ok, it's from one of those poxy dating sites but...go on, take the test. You ain't got much to beat!!
This Is My Life, Rated
Life: 4.2
Mind: 4.1
Body: 2.7
Spirit: 8
Friends/Family: 1.6
Love: 0
Finance: 5.9
Take the Rate My Life Quiz
Apparently, in my case, "computer say 'no!'"

I First Saw This When I Was Little - And Loved It! I Hope That Explains a Few Things

Fuck, Fuckety, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck

It has been pointed out to me that, particularly for one whose profession is supposedly literary, my language is getting worse. My use of the "F" word is, I am told, far too prevalent and hence loses impact. To those who share this view I suggest you watch the following:

Tony Blair Isn't a Burglar - But If He Was.........

In the spirit of Gustav Holst's Jupiter and Manfred Mann's Earth Band, I feel like raising a smile today. The Big Green Thing alerted me to this and, for no other reason than to raise a smile on an otherwise crap Wednesday, I think it has to be shared. Grantham shall not have him - when he gets out of prison.

Life On The Edge - No Net.

I was wrong when I feared it might be a dull weekend, what with my pals being away, my soon-to-be ex-wife in rehab and only the dogs to play with. How wrong can a man be? This much fun must surely be illegal? Just click to see the japes and hoots I am having! Click again to see how things got REALLy exciting! Tomorrow we're going to chase pigeons.

The Good Old U.S. of A. - Guardians of Freedom and Democracy. Nothing to Be Scared of, Then?

Be honest........

IT'S THE QUIZ OF THE WEEK! JUST SCROLL DOWN AND HIT "FULL QUIZ".