**********************************************************WHY GRANTHAM? JUST CLICK:
TEXT **********************************************************

Tuesday 20 March 2007

Life Is A Transverse Okey Cokey - Up, Down, Up, Down, Shaken All About!


I'm a pretty down to earth kind of chap when it comes to life, you know.
No-one has ever said that I'm away with the fairies - not since my acquittal, anyway! I could hardly be called a dreamer, a bit New Age or gullible, and I have never claimed to be some kind of spiritual medium (I'm XXL, in fact). No, sitting around, holding hands and being complicated while surrounded by crystals with mythical powers in an effort to get in tune with Flange, the god of inner well-being, is just not my cup of sparkling mineral water.
I am conservative with a small "c", a realist shot through with gallons of cynicism, someone who sticks his finger in the sphincter of the unproven and tweaks the nose of hippyish ideas.
It is somewhat worrying, therefore, that I have come to believe in "biorhythms". There HAS to be something in them. There is no other way of explaining life. Discuss? Ok, I will.

Today, shortly after midnight (note, just after the clock ticked into Tuesday), I was contacted by a good and lovely friend who had not spoken to me for more than a week. I had been rude to her while tired and grumpy and she had, understandably, got cross. We spoke again and put our tiff behind us.
About five hours later I awoke to glorious sunshine. I had breakfast in the toasty warmth of my kitchen and then shaved and showered in equally glorious hot water. I received some good news in the post concerning a job I am going for. The rest of the mail consisted of a cheque from my former employer for some profit share payout I am apparently entitled to, a letter from a mate, a bank statement and a magazine I subscribe to (no, don't go racing ahead. I withdrew my subscription to Big Girls Wobbly Bits Monthly a while back).
I chatted on the phone to a couple of friends who are anxious to hook up and both invited me down/up to stay for a weekend. Another friend e-mailed to say that they still do work for an outfit I am applying to and could give me some useful tips and info for a forthcoming interview.
The dogs have snoozed peacefully in between playing nicely and quietly together in the garden. I, in the meantime, have done some work and e-mailed it off. I shall go out for a pint later, read the papers, have a bag of dry roast and no doubt contemplate how good life is. I shall then be cooking beef Wellington for dinner. Delicious.












Yesterday, I awoke as exactly the same Reg Pither. I had not undergone some cruel medical experiment in the night to completely change my personality. The Americans had not, I was pretty sure, carried out some kind of war games test on the atmosphere in the wee small hours. There was, however, snow on the ground and it was bloody freezing. The house was like an icebox and I soon discovered why - the central heating was on the blink. I couldn't shower because there was only ice cold water and I cut myself to ribbons trying to shave in same.
The post consisted of a threatening letter from the bank, my phone bill, a job application "Dear John" and YET ANOTHER FUCKING FLYER FROM A PIZZA PARLOUR!
The dogs were utter arses all day, fighting and barking in the garden, crapping in the hall and getting their muddy paw marks on virtually all the things I had worked so hard to clean over the weekend.
During the course of the day I chatted with two friends who proceeded to criticise the way I was living and one of them slammed the phone down in a huff - I swear, I had said nothing to prompt either outburst. I later chatted online to two people, one of whom tried to borrow money off me while lacing the talk with copious amounts of bullshit and the other got angry when I said I had to sign off as I had some work to do and so said they would never contact me again.
There was only cold chicken left over from Sunday for dinner and at one point I caught Caty, paws up on the dining table, licking it!!
Right, now you explain it to me? Two days, back to back, exactly the same Reg Pither involved in both. No change in attitude, approach, manner or anything else. So why does one day turn out to be lovely and the other about as good as the day the first person showed up in casualty in Europe suffering from the Black Death?
It's biorhythms, I tell you! You don't change, they do! They dictate that, some days, you may fall in a bucket of shit but will still come up smelling of roses but, on other days, if you are picked for a marching band you will be playing the piano!
I am just revelling in an upturn in my rhythms today and enjoying it while it lasts. No doubt tomorrow I will be arrested for war crimes, have my house repossessed and my genitals confiscated.
Biorhythms? It's off to Grantham with you. Give me a steady, albeit predictable, life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You obviously have riddum as in I got riddum, its better than rhythm which we have.

Love scooch, uncle terry can be twat sometimes.

Who could ask for anything more.

WEDNESDAY, 21 NOVEMBER 2007

SHORTS DON'T MATTER! 1. From the greatest programme ever made about association football, Barnstoneworth United FC manager Mr Dainty delivers one of the finest English soliloqiues of all time.......and afterwards, spare a thought for the club steward's wife Vera (YOU ONLY HAVE TO WATCH HALF OF THE CLIP!!).

Monday, 12 November 2007

Not everyone who agonises over their life is a painter. Some of us agonise because we're NOT painters.

....And On the Subject of Great Public Services

I know most of you have heard this marvellous song by those doctors who are the Amateur Transplants......but I think the video is a nice addition. P.S. If there are kids in the room I'd shuffle them out before hitting play.

...There's More

On the subject of those great doctors, here is their version of More Than Words which presents their challenging views on women outside Watford. The very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither, coming from Cumbria, is a huge fan. Again, get those kids out of the room!

Leave Britney Alone, Ok!!!

Oh...........my............God!!!!! My heartfelt thanks go to BGT for this. I won't say much more, I don't need to. Mr Loony of Loonytown, USA (I think it's a bloke, anyway), says it all. I fear he may be wound too tight for.....well.....well for everywhere, really!

Tuesday, 18 September 2007.

I wish I'd sung this! For non-Americans, and with apologies to all the smart arses out there who already knew, the FCC is the Federal Communications Commission and it monitors TV and radio output in the States - a sort of broadcast police - while the EPA is the Yanks' so-called Environmental Protection Agency, a body which does exactly the opposite of what it says on the can. (P.S. We went to the same school, you know? Eric and me, that is, not George, Martha, Dick and Condoleeza and me. I don't think they went to school.) P.P.S. Please see below if you are I Like The View, Malc or Doris.

To Make You Laugh and Cry

I was listening to this on a Sunday, the very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither is a Catholic, Tom Lehrer is one of my all-time heroes and this is one of his best.............no other reasons. On a more sombre note (and with thanks to Fish for coming up with this Woman's-Own-passes-the-time-in-the-dentist's-waiting-room nonsense), why not get a computer to tell you that you are a waste of space and your life is a sham of a mockery of a farce? Ok, it's from one of those poxy dating sites but...go on, take the test. You ain't got much to beat!!
This Is My Life, Rated
Life: 4.2
Mind: 4.1
Body: 2.7
Spirit: 8
Friends/Family: 1.6
Love: 0
Finance: 5.9
Take the Rate My Life Quiz
Apparently, in my case, "computer say 'no!'"

I First Saw This When I Was Little - And Loved It! I Hope That Explains a Few Things

Fuck, Fuckety, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck

It has been pointed out to me that, particularly for one whose profession is supposedly literary, my language is getting worse. My use of the "F" word is, I am told, far too prevalent and hence loses impact. To those who share this view I suggest you watch the following:

Tony Blair Isn't a Burglar - But If He Was.........

In the spirit of Gustav Holst's Jupiter and Manfred Mann's Earth Band, I feel like raising a smile today. The Big Green Thing alerted me to this and, for no other reason than to raise a smile on an otherwise crap Wednesday, I think it has to be shared. Grantham shall not have him - when he gets out of prison.

Life On The Edge - No Net.

I was wrong when I feared it might be a dull weekend, what with my pals being away, my soon-to-be ex-wife in rehab and only the dogs to play with. How wrong can a man be? This much fun must surely be illegal? Just click to see the japes and hoots I am having! Click again to see how things got REALLy exciting! Tomorrow we're going to chase pigeons.

The Good Old U.S. of A. - Guardians of Freedom and Democracy. Nothing to Be Scared of, Then?

Be honest........

IT'S THE QUIZ OF THE WEEK! JUST SCROLL DOWN AND HIT "FULL QUIZ".