**********************************************************WHY GRANTHAM? JUST CLICK:
TEXT **********************************************************

Friday 9 March 2007

I've Got The Pox.

There! That's got your attention!


I am somewhat of a valetudinarian and so thought I had contracted every disease going but I have a new one to add to my collection - carp pox!
Well, to be fair, it's not actually ME who has it, it's one of the fish in my pond - or rather it WAS one of the fish in my pond. It is no more.
I found him/she/it floating about yesterday, covered in jelly-like, white blisters, and looking about as alive as Llandudno on a Sunday night. After a brief period of mourning (four seconds) I realised that I had to find out the cause of death, and fast, or I could have an epidemic on my hands. A fishless pond is about as complete as single man without a right hand.
I put the little, golden (and white spotted) corpse in a bag and rushed it over to my local fish doctor for a post mortem. None was needed, as it turned out, because the moment I walked in clutching the fish the doc recognised the condition: "Ahaa! You've got carp pox, you have," he said.
People turned their heads to look at me, no doubt expecting to see someone with gills, fins and looking distinctly unwell, so I held up the bag in an effort to deflect attention as my face reddened.
Goldfish are members of the carp family, I believe, so it sounded like a believable diagnosis, but was it contagious? "Nah mate. It's a virus," said the doc. "Aren't viruses contagious?" I asked, knowing the answer full well. "Noooh, no, no - well, yes, but not in this case." "I am a tad confused," I not unreasonably countered. "It's like us having coldsores," said the doc. "Because it's a virus there is not a lot you can do about it but it shouldn't spread to the other fish. Here, take this, it is a water treatment and put it in when the temperature rises to ten degrees." I handed over the requisite amount of dosh and left, only realising as I reached the car park that if the disease was untreatable then why had he sold me and why had I bought a treatment?
That is typical of the fish doc. He could sell rubble to the Iraqis. Many's the time I have gone in there just to buy some fish food and come out with things like a bicyle for my tench (sorry ladies, according to the fish doc, you do need men), a holiday cottage in Wales for the newts and a rear axle for a 1972 Ford Capri not owned by any of the pondlife. My pond and its associated equipment is probably worth more than Pither Towers these days.
One of his favourite tricks is to sell you something you want in ever more expensive stages. I'll explain. I once went in for a treatment for pondweed. I found one and he sold it to me. It didn't work so I went back. "It didn't work," I said. "I thought not," he replied. "It never works. This is the newest liquid on the market, try that." I bought some and went away. It didn't work. I went back. "It didn't work either," I said. "I know. Hopeless, isn't it?" he said. "The reason is that no compound treatments work on pondweed. What you need is this electrolysing gizmo. The latest thing from Japan. It will work. Success guaranteed, 100 per cent. It's only £130." I handed over the last of my lifesavings and went away. It DID work. Success as per the guarantee. Thing is, he had the device in the shop the very first time I went in to buy a treatment but still got me to fork out on as much useless crap as possible before selling me what I really needed. There again, he never actually lied to me at any time, only by omission, I suppose. Bloody smart, see?
Anyway, carp pox and internationally acclaimed, high-pressure salesmen of fish requisites can go to Grantham.

No comments:

WEDNESDAY, 21 NOVEMBER 2007

SHORTS DON'T MATTER! 1. From the greatest programme ever made about association football, Barnstoneworth United FC manager Mr Dainty delivers one of the finest English soliloqiues of all time.......and afterwards, spare a thought for the club steward's wife Vera (YOU ONLY HAVE TO WATCH HALF OF THE CLIP!!).

Monday, 12 November 2007

Not everyone who agonises over their life is a painter. Some of us agonise because we're NOT painters.

....And On the Subject of Great Public Services

I know most of you have heard this marvellous song by those doctors who are the Amateur Transplants......but I think the video is a nice addition. P.S. If there are kids in the room I'd shuffle them out before hitting play.

...There's More

On the subject of those great doctors, here is their version of More Than Words which presents their challenging views on women outside Watford. The very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither, coming from Cumbria, is a huge fan. Again, get those kids out of the room!

Leave Britney Alone, Ok!!!

Oh...........my............God!!!!! My heartfelt thanks go to BGT for this. I won't say much more, I don't need to. Mr Loony of Loonytown, USA (I think it's a bloke, anyway), says it all. I fear he may be wound too tight for.....well.....well for everywhere, really!

Tuesday, 18 September 2007.

I wish I'd sung this! For non-Americans, and with apologies to all the smart arses out there who already knew, the FCC is the Federal Communications Commission and it monitors TV and radio output in the States - a sort of broadcast police - while the EPA is the Yanks' so-called Environmental Protection Agency, a body which does exactly the opposite of what it says on the can. (P.S. We went to the same school, you know? Eric and me, that is, not George, Martha, Dick and Condoleeza and me. I don't think they went to school.) P.P.S. Please see below if you are I Like The View, Malc or Doris.

To Make You Laugh and Cry

I was listening to this on a Sunday, the very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither is a Catholic, Tom Lehrer is one of my all-time heroes and this is one of his best.............no other reasons. On a more sombre note (and with thanks to Fish for coming up with this Woman's-Own-passes-the-time-in-the-dentist's-waiting-room nonsense), why not get a computer to tell you that you are a waste of space and your life is a sham of a mockery of a farce? Ok, it's from one of those poxy dating sites but...go on, take the test. You ain't got much to beat!!
This Is My Life, Rated
Life: 4.2
Mind: 4.1
Body: 2.7
Spirit: 8
Friends/Family: 1.6
Love: 0
Finance: 5.9
Take the Rate My Life Quiz
Apparently, in my case, "computer say 'no!'"

I First Saw This When I Was Little - And Loved It! I Hope That Explains a Few Things

Fuck, Fuckety, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck

It has been pointed out to me that, particularly for one whose profession is supposedly literary, my language is getting worse. My use of the "F" word is, I am told, far too prevalent and hence loses impact. To those who share this view I suggest you watch the following:

Tony Blair Isn't a Burglar - But If He Was.........

In the spirit of Gustav Holst's Jupiter and Manfred Mann's Earth Band, I feel like raising a smile today. The Big Green Thing alerted me to this and, for no other reason than to raise a smile on an otherwise crap Wednesday, I think it has to be shared. Grantham shall not have him - when he gets out of prison.

Life On The Edge - No Net.

I was wrong when I feared it might be a dull weekend, what with my pals being away, my soon-to-be ex-wife in rehab and only the dogs to play with. How wrong can a man be? This much fun must surely be illegal? Just click to see the japes and hoots I am having! Click again to see how things got REALLy exciting! Tomorrow we're going to chase pigeons.

The Good Old U.S. of A. - Guardians of Freedom and Democracy. Nothing to Be Scared of, Then?

Be honest........

IT'S THE QUIZ OF THE WEEK! JUST SCROLL DOWN AND HIT "FULL QUIZ".