**********************************************************WHY GRANTHAM? JUST CLICK:
TEXT **********************************************************

Saturday 5 May 2007

Hell's Kitchen


I love cooking. It's not a 21st Century Man thing. I have always loved it. Cooking just sort of appeals to me and was definitely not something taught to me at an early age because my mother is to cookery what John Inman was to real fighting.
There was a time when a bloke who cooked was also supposed to be able to run up his own dresses and criticise your curtains but I think times have changed. Almost all of my male pals cook, and cook well, but only a couple of them are screaming, "Oops-where's-that-role-of-lino-which-was-under-my-arm-gone?" homosexuals!
My interest in the kitchen has resulted in a sad development. Saturday mornings used to be times for long, slow sex (occasionally with someone else) and for Tiswas and Grandstand, in the same way that Friday nights were always horror film nights and Sunday afternoons were given over to Miss Marple or some black-and-white classic. Well, they not only don't screen old horror films on Friday nights or anything decent on Sunday afternoons anymore, the genius which was Tiswas is no longer with us and I am always the sole occupant of my bed! To plug the yawning gap "they" now put on Saturday Kitchen and, because of my hobby (no, not that one, the other one), I watch it. It never cease to wind me up.
The chef-of-the-day always starts by showing you a finished dish which looks absolutely fabulous and so you reach for a pen and paper to jot down the ingredients, while trying to take in the "what to do" side of things. That's when the anger starts to build.
"Ok, eggs? Yup, got them. Flour? No sweat. Salt and black pepper? Do me a favour, obviously! Single cream? Ok, I'll have to nip out and get some.
"Sea bass? I suppose if I get up the market pretty damn quick I can lay my hands on one or two. Everything ok so far. Now, Japanese white string noodles? What!! I've never seen 'em in Asda. Oriental star nakamosa individual florettes? You're 'aving a fucking giraffe 'ere, aren't you? What the billy bollocks are they when they're at home, if they ever are? Quimquom seedling bulbs? Fuck off will you!! You're taking the piss now. Diced Venezuelan, purple-headed, anchoves? Yeah, like the fucking bloke at our corner shop stocks them, in between the shelves of Pot Noodle, baked beans and Razzle mags!"
You then have two choices. Firstly, you can decide not to even attempt looking for one or more of the suggested ingredients - which are usually all only found on the Galapagos Islands and harvested by one-legged, black dwarfs with speech impediments - and substitute a few "they'll do" ones of your own. This always ends in disaster as your selection of Spaghetti Hoops never quite matches the piquancy of taste given by the recommended Twin-Beaked-Siberian-Horse-Duck.
The second option is to give up, go back to sleep and, when you finally surface, cook the cheese on toast for dinner which you had planned in the first place!
Why can't these wankers just cook "proper food". I'm all for experimenting and trying new dishes and I remember, as a lad, when I first cooked spaghetti bolognese I felt like I was Pavarotti's granny! I'm not, however, dedicated enough to go on a four-month trek across the Himalayas to find the fucking ingredients for my dinner!
No, I'm sorry. Poncey chefs who dream up ridiculously complicated dishes can sod off to Grantham.

No comments:

WEDNESDAY, 21 NOVEMBER 2007

SHORTS DON'T MATTER! 1. From the greatest programme ever made about association football, Barnstoneworth United FC manager Mr Dainty delivers one of the finest English soliloqiues of all time.......and afterwards, spare a thought for the club steward's wife Vera (YOU ONLY HAVE TO WATCH HALF OF THE CLIP!!).

Monday, 12 November 2007

Not everyone who agonises over their life is a painter. Some of us agonise because we're NOT painters.

....And On the Subject of Great Public Services

I know most of you have heard this marvellous song by those doctors who are the Amateur Transplants......but I think the video is a nice addition. P.S. If there are kids in the room I'd shuffle them out before hitting play.

...There's More

On the subject of those great doctors, here is their version of More Than Words which presents their challenging views on women outside Watford. The very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither, coming from Cumbria, is a huge fan. Again, get those kids out of the room!

Leave Britney Alone, Ok!!!

Oh...........my............God!!!!! My heartfelt thanks go to BGT for this. I won't say much more, I don't need to. Mr Loony of Loonytown, USA (I think it's a bloke, anyway), says it all. I fear he may be wound too tight for.....well.....well for everywhere, really!

Tuesday, 18 September 2007.

I wish I'd sung this! For non-Americans, and with apologies to all the smart arses out there who already knew, the FCC is the Federal Communications Commission and it monitors TV and radio output in the States - a sort of broadcast police - while the EPA is the Yanks' so-called Environmental Protection Agency, a body which does exactly the opposite of what it says on the can. (P.S. We went to the same school, you know? Eric and me, that is, not George, Martha, Dick and Condoleeza and me. I don't think they went to school.) P.P.S. Please see below if you are I Like The View, Malc or Doris.

To Make You Laugh and Cry

I was listening to this on a Sunday, the very-soon-to-be ex-Mrs Pither is a Catholic, Tom Lehrer is one of my all-time heroes and this is one of his best.............no other reasons. On a more sombre note (and with thanks to Fish for coming up with this Woman's-Own-passes-the-time-in-the-dentist's-waiting-room nonsense), why not get a computer to tell you that you are a waste of space and your life is a sham of a mockery of a farce? Ok, it's from one of those poxy dating sites but...go on, take the test. You ain't got much to beat!!
This Is My Life, Rated
Life: 4.2
Mind: 4.1
Body: 2.7
Spirit: 8
Friends/Family: 1.6
Love: 0
Finance: 5.9
Take the Rate My Life Quiz
Apparently, in my case, "computer say 'no!'"

I First Saw This When I Was Little - And Loved It! I Hope That Explains a Few Things

Fuck, Fuckety, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck

It has been pointed out to me that, particularly for one whose profession is supposedly literary, my language is getting worse. My use of the "F" word is, I am told, far too prevalent and hence loses impact. To those who share this view I suggest you watch the following:

Tony Blair Isn't a Burglar - But If He Was.........

In the spirit of Gustav Holst's Jupiter and Manfred Mann's Earth Band, I feel like raising a smile today. The Big Green Thing alerted me to this and, for no other reason than to raise a smile on an otherwise crap Wednesday, I think it has to be shared. Grantham shall not have him - when he gets out of prison.

Life On The Edge - No Net.

I was wrong when I feared it might be a dull weekend, what with my pals being away, my soon-to-be ex-wife in rehab and only the dogs to play with. How wrong can a man be? This much fun must surely be illegal? Just click to see the japes and hoots I am having! Click again to see how things got REALLy exciting! Tomorrow we're going to chase pigeons.

The Good Old U.S. of A. - Guardians of Freedom and Democracy. Nothing to Be Scared of, Then?

Be honest........

IT'S THE QUIZ OF THE WEEK! JUST SCROLL DOWN AND HIT "FULL QUIZ".